Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Love Makes Monsters of Us All

It’s nature. A savage world of little things dying or eating each other right beneath our feet.

Flora and fauna, man and beast entwined in a cycle of endless brutality: soil and rot and the heat of rage, blood-smeared musk and sharp decay.

This scent is sharp and biting. There is the deep scent of the grave but there is also something warm and wet in it. It's a fascinating blend. There is a dry and dustiness to it too.

First note, in the vial and wet on skin is loam, as in freshly overturned dirt.

Drying I smell damp vegetation, which I am guessing is carrot seed oil from a previous experience. There is still that loam note. It is a very realist dirt smell.

Early drydown the dirt note begins to fade and there is a metallic note, like the metallic taste of blood or wet clay. This does evoke red clay, if you have ever smelled it.

Late drydown there is a lovely skin close musk. It isn't like the musk that is identified as red, green, brown, white, or blue. I'm guessing this is a blood musk. It is warm and comforting.

Overall this is very natural, with dirt, vegetation, a hint of blood or clay, then soft musk. I'd swear there is a bit of ambergris too, it was salty at times. I'm considering a bottle because it is so unique and I'm a musk girl. I don't see this being wildly popular though.

I love this one!

The dirt is strong when it first goes on and I don't mind it, I enjoy it a lot because Beth's dirt note is probably my most favorite. It can sometimes border on smelling a little clean, a little sweet. The longer it sits the more of a musky, red clay note comes out and it's blending together with the dirt so beautifully. The dry down smells very similar to Penny Dreadful because there is almost a spicy thing happening in the underlining layers, and since Penny Dreadful is one of my favorite BPAL blends it comes as no surprise that I adore this one too.

Very popular in my book and I will be needing a bottle (:

Another great dirt scent from Beth! Upon initial application, the dirt is most prominent. I hadn't looked up the notes yet, but I can recognize that note. :smile: This one is a lush dirt, slightly sweet, not of the grave, at least not at first. After drydown, a metallic note starts to rise, a tinge of sour moisture mingled with dust- oh this is the clay! Then finally a slightly spicy musk- maybe blood musk.

Another gorgeous dirt scent to add to my collection!

In bottle: Nice slap of wet clay and winter air. Reminds me of the smell I got when making a stop while driving to the grandparents' for Christmas and smelling the chilled air and the mud from the snow, except with just a hint of...spice to it? That's the best I got. Maybe the musk.

Wet: Much softer now that it's on the wrist. The musk is much stronger now, softening the earth and blending with it.

Dry: Like an earthier, muskier Zombi, to be honest. It's a strangely soothing scent, with just a hint of danger lurking at the bottom. I really enjoy it. I might have to get more dirt scents because they really work well, at least on me. Lovely.

Love Makes Monsters of All of Us smells like a more intense version of Firethorn Berry Tea - plus more clay and more musk. Whatever is in Firethorn Berry, amp that up to 10, subtract the red currant and throw in gobs of claw and blood musk. It's intense, visceral and a bitter slap in the face.

If Firethorn Berry is a poison, Love Makes Monster is a dagger to plunge straight in the heart of your enemy as you sneer at them without any apologies.

Bitter, brutal, musky.

First on, this is a very light, subtle and soft earth note (like dry potting soil) with a hint of aquatic cologne and lots of spiky, green plants. Almost a sharp, black peppery note to the greenery. Dries down very perfumey, musky and sharp. Sort of like white musk and aquatic cologne with green plants and a hint of dirt. I wish that the earth notes were stronger. The musk doesn't smell like red or blood musk to me at all, but a sharp white musk.

A green, musky, sharp scent on my skin.

Last wear before I rehome this:
Spiky, green, slightly spicy, herbal plants (almost like rose geranium, but no rose tones) with wet dirt and cold, non-soapy aquatic. It starts off very beautiful and well defined, and dries down sort of muddled on my skin. The drydown is musky aquatic, a hint of dirt, and something like sweet, mushy flowers with a hint of powder. It would be a keeper if it kept the green and wet dirt, but it doesn't.

Edited by Little Bird

Wet: Very woody and earthy. I detect the Lab's dirt/loam/earth note in here for sure. And the same "decay" note that's in The House, to my nose at least. Love it so far. There's a hint of spiciness. It's gorgeous. Not really getting the musk yet. So

far it's not really wearable for me as a perfume, but I love these type of scents and frequently wear them to bed. It's very light, not much throw. I only tested a small amount, I think this one needs a good slather.

Dry: OMG I am loving this. It is warming up, getting more and more spicy (I've always gotten this lovely floral spicy vibe from the Lab's decay note, I love it so much!). It's still earthy, but I feel almost like I could wear it during the day now. It smells soft and gentle and comforting, with something sinister and creeping underneath. It's lovely and creepy and perfect, and I think I have to have a bottle of it, even if I only do end up wearing it at bedtime.

I have this sinking feeling in the pit of my wallet stomach that I am going to need a lot more CP bottles. A LOT.

there is a super sharp green note mixed with the fresh dirt note i love so much AND that delicious blood musk. it honestly smells ridiculously good on me. it is a little like penny dreadful, or graveyard dirt obviously, but more complex. it dries down to a very soft, clean, slightly sweet fresh soil scent that unfortunately has very little throw on me.

Agreed with porcelina about the Penny Dreadful and Graveyard Dirt associations, which is great because I love those two. It goes on almost slightly sour before turning into a vegetal, dusty scent with a clay/dirt note coming to the fore as it warms up on my skin. Throw is pretty good on me. I really really like this one. My partial bottle is probably enough, because it's more an atmospheric than an "omg must wear every day" scent, but I'm so glad I tried this one out.

ETA: After a few hours, it's turned into a dusty-musky-almost-incense scent. Delightful, but the throw is now minimal.

Edited by rayvn1

In bottle: Smells like pine needle loam, with musk second and a touch of blood. Wet: Still very pine loam, though it is gentler on the skin. The blood is stronger and sweeter. the musk warms up a bit, but really this is all about the pine loam and that's just fine with me. Dry: Loam and a hint of sweet.

A sharp earthyness is the first thing that comes to mind. There's a greenery in there, a contsricting vine. The decay is like rotting fruit, but not... disgusting? It works? Which baffles me. Is there only a hint of red musk in there?

I LOVE this perfume. I mean, not necessarily as a perfume or on me, but man, Beth certainly did SO damn well on the Crimson peak scents. Once again perfectly fitting the story. This is sad, twisted, and so dark.

I love it.