Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shibagast

Between Your Heart And Mine

… I find myself thinking of you – at the most inopportune moments of the day. I feel as if a link – a thread exists between your heart and mine… And that, should that link be broken by distance or time… Well – I fear my heart would cease to beat and die… and you’d soon forget about me.

Heartwood bois de rose and vanilla-touched rose.

First? Oh no... >:

In the bottle, I smell mostly roses. Reading the description online, I was caught by the vanilla-touched rose, but first sniff, I don't get any of that.

First application, rose at first, grounded by the smell of wood. I do smell the vanilla now, very faintly in the background.

After dry down, mostly roses.. I think my skin just amps rose since London stays forever on me. It's roses touched by vanilla and wood, like a breath of wind. The scent is very delicate and light. It makes me think of when Edith and Thomas first start courting each other, a very delicate situation lest someone be frightened away. Edited by shibagast

Fresh out of the mailbox! I amp rose, so I was leery about this one, but my search for a rose scent that's not ROSEROSEROSEROSEROSE on my demanded I try.

In the bottle: creamy rose

Wet: Rose. Definitely more of a white or pink rose than a red one. There's some grounding something in the background that must be the wood.

Drydown: Rose. This is extremely delicate and faint. I'm going to have to try slathering to see if I can pick up anything beyond the rose, since right now it has a low enough throw that any background notes are escaping me. If I wanted a rose scent that wasn't PUNCHYOUINTHEFACEROSES!!!!!11!!! I succeeded, I think, but it's so fragile...

Dry: Oh, there's the vanilla! Yay! In fact the rose actually moves to the background and I get mostly understated, creamy vanilla. Huh. Gonna have to test this a few more times.

Edited by Smaragdina

The earlier reviewers all got strong rose out of it, and in the bottle it smelled like freshly cut roses and nothing else to me, so I was quite shocked when I put it on and almost solely smelled rosewood! As it dried, notes of rose came out. A little while in I could get hints of vanilla, but it smells like old-books vanillin, not like a creamy, sweet and edible vanilla at all. I'm very surprised with this one. I'll have to think about how I like it, because rose and vanilla with wood in the background sounded lovely, but this is a rather bookish scent - light swirls of wood and poring over old books, with the floral notes pretty firmly wrapped with the wood notes. I think it is very perfectly Edith Cushing with all that in mind, but not the creamy rose I hoped for.

Edited, five months later!

I wondered if maybe this had aged a little bit (or rather, hoped!) but it really seems to have! I put it on and got all rosewood at first, but then the rose and then the vanilla came out in full force, with the wood underneath them. I'm glad I kept it, because I had been very disappointed and almost got rid of it multiple times.

Edited by PrinceofcatS

I couldn't resist a CP rose scent!

During dry down this one is all roses with a sharp dose of wood.

Once it's dry, it becomes a soft vanilla and mellow wood scent with a hint of fresh rose overtop. It's very comforting and light and warm with the tiniest smidge of vanilla sweet. At this point, I'm not getting a ton of rose.

Overall, it's a very light scent with little throw. I wish it had more rose to it, but I find it pleasant and comforting nonetheless.

in the decant: sweet pink roses with hints of vanilla; feminine, wistful, and soft; I'm afraid this is going to turn to pure powder on me!

Wet: a bouquet of fresh, innocent pink roses with a tiny bit of tangy sharpness from the rosewood

Dry: Well, dry this turns into expensive French rose-lemon soap with the teeniest hint of salty skin musk. It's actually… not unpleasant? Think glowing post-bath skin. But the throw is also super super close to the skin (I don't know if the Lab purposefully dialed back throw on the CP scents or if it's a cold/dry weather thing, but so far my skin tends to gobble up rather than amp all the CPs I've tried, with the exception of Lucille Sharpe). I'll send my decant on to a friend who loves and amps roses and see if this works better on her.

right off i smell the bois de rose, which gets a little sharp on me as bpal's woods sometimes/often do. i get a vanilla-rose hint just a few seconds later mingling with the bois de rose. it brings to mind creamy rose scents like hope, etc. but the rosewood definitely adds another element that makes it less sweet than those scents. after being on my skin about 10 minutes, this becomes just gorgeous- a woody sophisticated rose with a hint of vanilla. i kind of love this one and may need a bottle.

This is the rose scent of my dreams. It's a gorgeous red rose that's been obliterated by lemon and sugar and turned into jelly. But it's deepened by the heartwood, which rounds it out and makes it more mature.

Whacked this on straight out the post, so I'm not going to do this review in stages like I usually do.

This is everything I hoped it would be: woody rose with creamy vanilla coming out over time. It's not a very strong scent, but it still lasts all day.

Creamy, soft and wispy vanilla rose with hardly any wood notes coming out on me personally. It's delicate and truly beautiful.

So beautiful. I love the rose of this, with the vanilla on the drydown. It's got a bit of a innocence and delicateness to it.

Pink roses, yellow roses, and a touch of vanilla wood. There's something almost citrusy to the roses, but the drydown is the vanilla wood in the background. As with all rose blends, excellent throw and staying power.

This reminds me to another rose blend that I've smelled in BPAL. Will update the review when I remember.

Rosey, sweet, wood.

A friend bought me this for my birthday and I've been smelling it from the confines of my bed all day. This is a delicious floral with heavy notes of rose and some sort of sweet flower (very unsophisticated nose here, I'm still working on it!) that is very delicate and yummy. Unfortunately, it vanishes pretty instantly on my skin, unless I just have a bad nose and can't smell it. So far, the perfume that lasts the longest on my skin is Black Moths.

Wet: Really soapy for an instant, and then a bit sour. It starts to settle quickly though, and that vanilla-rose comes out - boy is that a winning note! Pretty.

Dry: I can't decide about this. One moment is wants to go powdery, the next I think it's glorious. That vanilla-rose note is so interesting, and the wood is warm and gentle. But the powder!! If only it would make up it's mind and go one way or the other. I think I need to test on another day, it may be my chemistry today that's off.

ETA: After wearing it just a little longer, any powderiness dissipates, and what I am left with if the most gorgeous floral vanilla I have ever smelled. THIS is the BPAL Vanilla I have been searching for - a perfumey vanilla rather than a gourmand one. It's feminine, classic, elegant. I love it and need a bottle.

Edited by LizziesLuck

This is a woodsy rose, basically. It is sweet and fresh - at first I was wary of the wood, because woods can go really dry on me, but this one isn't. Its a very lush scent.

Overall it feels very old world romantic and reminds me somewhat of The Waltz from the same collection. I would wear this if I'm feeling fancy. But as I already have The Waltz, I don't think I will need a big bottle of this.

Drat. I was really worried that I'd need lots of this, but it's not for me .

In the imp, it's rosy and woody.

Right out of the decant on my skin, the scent is super sharp, and varnish-like. I think rosewood must be the note in BYHAM that isn't working on me, because Rose & Vanilla are usually bombproof. I can tell that a lovely Rose and some vanilla are nearby, but the varnish is covering them up.

A long while later, I'm left with a faint, sour, varnished vanilla Rose. Heartbreak!

Rosewood always goes on a bit soapy and sour on me at first, but Between Your Heart and Mine deepens (quickly) on the drydown to a smooth vanilla-rose, like a woodsier, blushed shadow of The Waltz. The two scents are very complementary and they layer beautifully. Between Your Heart and Mine isn't sweet, and the rosewood runs a bit powdery (in a way I've come to enjoy), but this is really relaxing and smells antique in a good way.

In the decant: Soft red rose.

Wet: Yes, I'm getting a fresh, soft red rose (or maybe it's pink). It's not as red as Rose Red and doesn't have that green quality to it.

Dry: The scent is deeper now, like the rose had been timid before, but is now in full bloom. The vanilla has finally emerged, and although it isn't nearly as strong as the rose, it is helping to soften the rose, and the two go really well together.

Verdict: I'll be holding onto my decant, but I have so many rose scents already that I don't feel the need to spring for a bottle right now. It's nice, though!

I wanted rich, heavy, full bodied red rose and dark woods from this (perhaps something like Pulcinella & Teresina), but this is watery, intensely powdery, green smelling rose... but mostly it really smells like baby powder on my skin.
Drydown is weirdly like burning plastic (something very sharp, chemical and burning about it) and baby powder with a hint of sour rosewater. After an hour, this reminds me of flea and tick powder for dogs. Chalky and baby powdery with a cloying, nondescript sweetness and something of a sharp citrus twang.
I found myself wanting to scrub this off every time that I tried to wear it.

My husband has been a woodworker for as long as I've known him, which probably contributes to my love of wood scents. Rosewood is a favorite of mine, given that I don't have to fear the soapiness I get from so many varieties of actual roses.

This perfume is a lovely rosewood scent upon application, pretty and feminine. Upon drydown, the slightest hint of soapy rose comes out on my skin, but I have to really search for it to detect the soap. After 30 minutes, the rosewood is gone and I'm left with a soft soapy rose. This isn't a scrubber for me but it's not one that I would reach for. For those looking for a soft sweet pinkish rose scent with a vintage feel, this is for you. It would also be very nice for a young girl or teen.

The "vanilla touched rose" had me, and I do get a teeny bit of it here. Ultimately, though, it ends up to be just a rose scented soap.

This scent goes through such an odd permutation on my skin! I snagged a decant because I love woodsy scents and rose, and it seemed like a straightforward blend without mystery ingredients that my novice nose would be stumped by. However, it seems like this blend has some tricks up its sleeve!

Wet, it's very rose-forward, grounded somewhat by the heartwood and softened by the vanilla, although I couldn't pick out any specific vanilla notes, more its effect on the other notes. On the drydown, it went very wood-heavy and floral notes all but disappeared. The throw also all but disappeared, and I basically had to rub my nose into my skin to pick up the scent at all. Dry, instead of a woodsy rose it's a rosy wood, and the vanilla rounds out and softens the scent instead of sweetening it. I'm not sure if I'm sold on it - I would have liked it to be a little more rose-forward once dry, but it's not unpleasant.

Okay, first of all, the Crimson Peak really is magical. I feel like they need their whole other rating system than I usually use. They are all so beautiful and inspired. However, this one, still gorgeous, but just didn't quite work for me. I was hoping for more vanilla than rose, and this is largely rose on me. The vanilla starts to come out to play as it dries, but it is very subtle, and I wanted more of a mingling of the two.

Wet, this is a soft pretty rose with something sweet; at this stage I thought it was reminiscent of a fruity note, like the pomegranate in Persephone but not. Soft, slightly fruity rose.

The sweet note gradually becomes more vanilla-y and the rose note reminds me of the one in The Waltz. Once this has settled, I get all three notes in beautiful harmony: rose, vanilla, wood. Super pretty. There's also something really clean about it, really fresh. It's faint, though.

It fades within about two hours on me, but it's lovely. I need to do some death matching to decide if I need a bottle.

Update 3/27/18: Re-testing after almost 2 years of aging. Wow, this is pretty! The louder, gothier Crimson Peak scents kind of overshadowed this one at the time, but this is simply lovely. It's a sweet, effervescent rose scent perfect for spring. Now I'm bummed I only got a decant!

Edited by lady_pandora

A shy but lovely woodsy rose. Really subtle but on my skin I do get a whaft of it every now and then.

The vanilla is there but possibly even more subtle then the rose. Other then that it's got a dusty or old quality. And it's great. :smilenod: