Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ShowOrchid

Edith Cushing

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind: pearlescent vanilla musk with white sandalwood, grey amber, white patchouli, ambrette seed, and oudh.

Sweet vanilla, soft and gentle, and pretty. I only wish it didn't disappear so quickly on my skin.

This was really strange in the bottle--that buttery, almost salty vanilla that people are getting (the sandalwood and ambrette?), but then a sweetness that I swear almost smells like bubblegum (the vanilla itself?) would swirl out now and then. They're slowly blending as it dries down on my skin, with the warm butter-vanilla scent dominating at first, and then something lighter, cooler, and more perfumy (slightly floral?) rising up through it. I think that's the oudh taking over, judging by the other reviews, and after a few minutes it all starts smoothing out; the "salty" notes are still there, but calmer, and it's becoming a sweeter, dreamy vanilla sandalwood.

i've tried this a number of times.. and i've come to the conclusion that Ms. Cushing must shop at Bath & Body works. she's a fan of both Warm Vanilla Sugar and Frosted Cupcake.

because that's all i get out of this... a scent that goes back and forth between the coconut-tinged-vanilla of those two scents from Bath & Body Works.

eta:

so i found a partial tube of a knockoff Warm Vanilla Sugar lotion (from the Body Fantasies line, and it's got the "new" sticker on it, so yeah, i've had this for a really, really long time. to the point it is more watery than lotion normally would be. but i dislike the scent so it has taken me this long to get halfway done with it - circa 1998?) and since the scar on my left leg is permanently lizard-y and always in need of oil/lotion/etc i'm using this up there. so i have a constant faint waft of a slightly-off WVS scent for the past few days.

and yesterday did a couple decants of Edith. and yeah - hers isn't the knockoff, and maybe hers is fancier, but it is still that coconut-tinged vanilla of WVS, mixed with the palm-oil (almost coconut) of Frosted Cupcake.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Wet: butter pastry

Dry: sweet vanilla and coconut macaroons, with a bit of the muskiness that ambrette usually makes on my skin.

I wish there was more of the musk and ambrette to balance out the sweetness, but no, I smell like a macaroon. Nice, but not what I wanted from this scent.

I can only echo the others mention of Warm Brown Sugar, which I happened to be obsessed with at one point. I love Edith and would describe her as sweet, buttery, and positively angelic. I woukd love to stock up on this scent, however due to the price point and the fact that its very very light and my skin gobbles it up.

I agree with the commenter that stated that this smelled like BBW's Warm Vanilla Sugar. I get a very warm foodie vanilla, sandalwood, amber and a touch of oudh. Very smooth, very vanilla, very golden. Great throw and wear length.

For me, Edith is too foodie. I much prefer Ava as a comparable vanilla-centric perfume.

Edith to me smells very similar to Narciso Rodriguez for Her but like the younger, better looking sister version. I love this perfume, it truly surprised me how much I liked this blend. I'm not usually a vanilla girl, I tend to like more masculine scents but this one is just perfect.

The note list for Edith is sort of like a dream list for me...grey amber, white patchouli, oudh! PEARLESCENT VANILLA MUSK. On my skin, I get a lot of the grey amber and vanilla musk with the white sandalwood and patchouli providing a nice warm base. The amber is so beautiful—almost like salted caramel. This is so beautiful, and I'll enjoy every drop.

What a beautiful scent!

In the bottle: rich, foody, sweet.

Initial application: The vanilla immediately leans more perfumey than foody on me (looks like I'm in the minority there), and I'm definitely getting the oudh, which I love. It's almost reminiscent of So Below, only it's lighter and softer. It's like So Below's younger cousin!

Drydown: Ah, now I see the comparisons to Morocco -- only Edith is sweeter and more vanilla-y (and it's still that perfumey vanilla musk for me; it doesn't smell like a cookie or anything).

I really like this :D

Why oh why can't this be a GC scent??

Edith is UNBELIEVABLY gorgeous. White sandalwood, musk, amber, true vanilla. This isn't a very foodie scent on my skin. The notes blend beautifully with a lovely waft. I'm intrigued by how it plays with Sir Thomas Sharpe: Beth is a genius to have created these in such complimentary blends!

Back up bottle worthy!

Initially I get the salty caramel corn note, but this quickly turns to lush vanilla candy and a breeze of tropical incense. This is super wonderful gentle, sexy and strangely confident.

i get almost nothing but vanilla musk. it's nice but i was hoping for more complexity, since there is so much other good stuff in here- amber, sandalwood, patchouli, oudh... but i mostly get the vanilla, which weirdly starts to smell like cake or something as it dries. i wish i liked it more but it smells very generic on me. :(

Edith is one of those scents I didn't think too highly of when I put on "oh it's another pretty bpal Vanilla"... I put it on before I slept. When I woke up I kept smelling this gorgeous glowing smell... and realized it with Edith.

As she melds onto the skin, it's like a candle burning. There is just this glow to her that I love so very much.

When she is wet though, she smells like butterbeer! It took me a bit to come to that conclusion... but after a recent trip to Harry Potter World I put her on after my shower... and was all... omg that is what the foodie smell is. BUTTERBEER.

Basically Edith is what you get when you combine butterbeer and the glow of a burning candle (not the smoke, more abstract).

I'm not sure the two bottles I have will be enough. It's not the most unique scent or my favorite scent... but it's a very good daily wearer. I love how it makes me feel when I'm wearing it. It's a perfume I can wear pretty much anywhere and not offend anyone. It's a great daily wearer, so I see this bottle disappearing fast.

Gorgeous soft vanilla musk.

I like foody scents, but I find this to be a more perfumey vanilla and not a sugary dessert vanilla at all. The pale musk and lovely round amber make this a very wearable scent for me, and it has decent throw and lasting power despite being what I'd consider a light, pale gold sort of skin scent.

I disliked Ava from OLLA, and this vanilla musk is very different to me from that one. It's sweet, but not cloying, and airy and perfumey in the best kind of way. I might need a bottle of this.

Sweet, foody vanilla at first. Musk comes into play, and now it becomes a non-foody vanilla. The sandalwood comes in, and it basically is slightly sweet vanilla musk sandalwood. This reminds me of Inez/Lyonesse/Morocco/Storyville/Underpants, (mostly Inez), but really a class on her own. Non-offensive and totally bottle worthy.

What every amazing review has said. I LOVE THIS!!!!! I'd order more if I didn't have so much BPAL already. I made a rule I am no longer buying back up bottles, and with this one, it's going to be really hard not to.

I feel like I will be more or less reiterating what so many others said, but this starts out like a lovely foodie vanilla with a touch of nuttiness (definitely like Violaine said about it being comparable to BB&W Warm Vanilla Sugar), but then it matures, the amber and sandalwood come out, I don't even notice the patchouli (thankfully). I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists with this on. It is definitely a keeper for me and perfect for fall and winter. I don't wear a lot of vanilla scents anymore, but this is a really lovely vanilla for when I do want to wear one. Like other reviewers said it feels somewhat nostalgic and romantic like Edith herself, but there's a sophisticated element to it that calls forth Edith's progressiveness and independence.

In the bottle, Edith smells like something you could frost a cake with - warm, sweet, deep, buttery vanilla. There's even an alcoholic undertone.

Putting it on, the resins start to come out on my skin, bringing down the foodiness level and blending seamlessly to create a lovely, warm, sweet vanilla musk with a soft wood background. Vanilla usually doesn't excite me, but this is just gorgeous and has a wonderful wear length. I have purchased a bottle for slathering purposes.

I will say, this one is VERY sweet, so if you tend to amp sweetness, be forewarned, but for me, Edith is a perfect vanilla fragrance.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said :P

On me Edith is the most perfect vanilla musk with the tiniest drop of sandalwood. She really does smell like a more adult, perfume-y version of warm vanilla sugar from B&BW. Something about her feels like a skin scent sometimes too, as well as leaning on the more sophisticated side of being sweet.

She's beautiful and I cherish my bottles!

I'm glad to see a few more recent reviews state that they find Edith to be more perfume-y than foody because I was starting to think my nose was broken!

This is a gorgeous scent but leans more toward floral vanilla on me than foody vanilla. It lingers on my clothing *forever* but doesn't last very long on my skin sadly.

Edith is so very soft and lovely! The warm gauzy vanilla musk and sandalwood dominate on me. I get just a little of the white patchouli, it lends texture more than anything I think. Underneath everything I get the echoes of oudh and it's just heavenly. After several hours I get more of the grey amber giving some warmth. This lingers amazing well. While it's never a strong scent, it doesn't ever drop in volume. It continues on in it's quiet voice for many hours.

Edited by roseus

In the Bottle: Sugar Cookie

Wet: Vanilla, tea, and lemon. This smells like a sweet and feminine Dorian variation, but without the darkness.

Dry: a peculiar deep smell. I can only imagine this is the amber, patchouli, musk combination.

Overall: This one was the winner for me. With Alan McMicheal in a close second. I ran out and bought a back up bottle because I loved it so much. It's a very sweet almost foodie scent.

Thoughts before testing: When I saw the note list for this, I gasped. Everything here is like reading through my list of favorite notes.

Wet: Buttery, foody, sweet vanilla with just a hint of musk. Really lovely!

Dry down: The musk is more prominent now, but it's a sweet and slightly powdery musk that's got that beautiful vanilla as a backbone. I'm not getting any patch or amber, and that's ok by me because it's so beautiful.

Dry: It's not too sweet, it's more of a floral vanilla than a foody one now. The musk is a little more prominent and so is the sandalwood. This is really really pretty and I love it.

Final thoughts: Very pretty and very sophisticated. Edith is definitely more than the sum of her parts. This makes me feel beautiful and feminine and sophisticated. Love, love, love.

Verdict: Hoarding.

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind: pearlescent vanilla musk with white sandalwood, grey amber, white patchouli, ambrette seed, and oudh.

On the bottle Edith smells straight up like Eat Me, with the sweet foodie vanilla with some salty/caramel/nutty note?

It's really amazing because she changes sooooo much once she dries down, I wouldn't even say it's the same perfume! Dry, Edith becomes a lot more sophisticated. I can catch whiffs of vanilla at a distance but up close I get the drier notes, the oudh, sandalwood and the white patchouli. It's overall very smooth and pleasant and feminine. I am so sad she's sold out because I really wish I could hoard this. :cry2:

-edit-

okay, I know what this reminds me of!!! Fahrenheit by Dior! It's one of the few mainstream perfumes I love and this smells like the more womanly version of it. My guess is that's the patchouli and sandalwood combined with the sweetness + woodiness. anyway, I love this <3