Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Lake of Hate: blood musk, pink pepper, and neroli boiling in a seething mire of saffron.

This had me at "blood musk", and as a big fan of Beth's blood accord, it lives up to any and all evil, sultry, blood-soaked expectations I had for it. It's basically the love child of Blood (GC) and Oceans of Love and Millions of Kisses bath oil. It has that ridiculously sexy blood note entwined with come-hither musk (there has to be red musk in here somewhere), but it's also so much more than that. Neroli gives it a heady, almost honeyed feel that receives a sensual warmth and flame from the saffron. If I hadn't known there was no honey note in this, I would have guessed there was. It's a scent that burns with two colors of fire. Whereas the blood musk and slight bite of pink pepper give this moon its red fury, the neroli and saffron swirl the Lake of Hate with molten gold. Seething and boiling indeed, but in a really good way.

Gorgeous. The pink pepper is a tiny bit sharp at the moment but that's not a bad thing! I love pink pepper paired up with saffron - cannot go wrong! My sister says the neroli is the strongest note but I could barely pick it out until the drydown - not to say I can always smell accurately, lol! I can see how this could have a hateful vibe, but to me? Nothing but love - and it will age like a dream, if I let it last that long. :)

ETA: the neroli is much more prominent now, and after a bit of drying down this is really nice. :)

Edited by Herb Girl

OI. Blood musk, neroli and pink pepper all fight for dominance in this. And oddly enough, ends up smelling like a spicy version of musky currants. I guess hate smells like currants?

Sorry, that's all I've got.

I love the lab's blood musk note (like a slightly metallic, sweet, cinnamon-spiced version of red musk) and that's the main thing in this blend, so I'm happy. Pink pepper adds more sweetness (always smells oddly like pink bubblegum to me) and the saffron more of a dry, spicy bite. I don't smell any of the neroli, but this is a lovely, red, spicy blend.