Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
savage_rose

Sir Thomas Sharpe

Give in to temptation: black amber darkens a pale fougere.

Amber with something sensuously woodsy: deep and a little earthy. More unisex than masculine to my nose. Gorgeous scent with not much morphing. Definite keeper!

This is a really pretty amber but it almost smells identical to Scholars Tower on me. It's gorgeous and nothing special at the same time because it's so similar.

*ducks and runs for cover*

So this immediately reminded me of something but I just now figured it out...tattoo goo! In the early 00's there was this lavender/herbal salve for healing tattoos and that's what this smells like....but way less harsh and perfectly blended smooth with amber...which smells kinda vanilla-like. I think this perfume is definitely unisex and soo lovely. It doesn't have much throw on me. It's a skin scent. But apparently my skin eats fougere types (same thing with venustas and dorian). It fits the character of Thomas Sharpe well. It's sort of melancholy scent to me. One of my top 10 for sure!

i loooove this scent. the black amber is amazing and transforms the fougere beautifully. i definitely get a little lavender out of it, as well. it wears close to the skin and is a really warm and cozy sort of scent and i think it would work beautifully on both men and women. i might have to buy a bottle!

Sir Thomas marries black amber with a pale fougere that's reminiscent of the fougere in Dorian. The fougere is gentle and mannerly, and the black amber is more raw and overtly sensual, so the combo is pretty effective at signaling the mix of aristocracy and scrappy that Thomas represents in the film. On the drydown, I get black amber, lavender, light musk, and maybe a bit of tonka. Very nice. I got my husband his own bottle so I won't have to steal it from his BPAL drawer. ;)

This is everything I wanted out of Dorian.

This is like Dorian Gray had a tryst with a villain far darker than himself in a library.

In the bottle it's rich, smooth, and the amber is heavenly.

On my skin, it simply comes alive with the fougere, and there's definitely something warm, dark and sinister that's being woken up by my skin's musk. I got MANY comments at work tonight about how good I smelled- my lab partner called it "Dashing."

I put it on at 9pm, and now, almost 12 hours later, the scent has warmed, sweetened, yet darkened all at once. It's the aftermath after said tryst- it honestly makes me think of waking up in a warm slept in bed with a one night stand who's giving you a leering grin with eyes heavy lidded with sleep, still smelling of cologne from the night before.

It's utterly sexy and I don't think I'll ever find a scent that works so well on my skin- even Dorian or Blood didn't come close to how amazing this is. I'm only sad that I just got one! Going to have to get added to the waitlist!

In bottle: This is lighter and sweeter than I imagined, the amber being strong and the pale fougere not being as heavy as one would expect. It startles, but it suits. Wet: Mostly amber with the pale, light fougere underneath. It is more feminine than I expected and would likely do as well on a woman as a man. it is more Thomas at the end than during. Dry: Very Ambery cologne.

I should start out by saying I almost exclusively wear girl-ish scents. If it's named after a sweet young heroine, most likely I will adore it. So Edith was an obvious choice for me (and I love her!) but I never suspected to fall so deeply in love with Thomas. The love is so real, so deep, he might be in my top 3 favorite scents ever! Highly unusual for someone who usually wears florals/rose/vanilla...

Cozy and sweet are the words that come to mind wearing this. I'm definitely amping the amber with some of the fougere in the background. I appreciate the throw on this is light, but more than just a skin scent...it really warms to a small halo of delicious scent around me. This lasts all day on me, and even the next morning I caught traces on my cardigan sleeves to my delight! I really can't stop huffing my wrists. Now if only I could find a gentleman to slater this on ;)

Edited by sea_stars

In the Bottle: Sexy and sweet. There is a heavy smell of men's cologne. It smells very similar to 'Wild Country' from Avon.

Wet: It simmers down pretty quickly. The overpowering men's cologne takes a back seat to a sweet vanilla musk smell. I wouldn't call this scent 'Unisex' but I would say it's mild.

Dry: Musk. Pure. Musk. It's very heavy and thick. I can't detect any of the loveliness that it had before.

Overall: This is a very masculine cologne that has a lot of complexities in the bottle. It was not my favorite of the Crimson Peak character scents. I was looking forward to Dorian's Dark sexy cousin. Instead I have a heavy masculine scent. I can see why many people adore this scent. However, it is not for me.

Thoughts before testing: I loooooove fougeres and I'm hoping that this is unisex enough to work on both Bear and myself.

Wet: Sharply herbal amber. Nose-tingling, but not unpleasant.

Dry down: The herbal tinge dissipates entirely and I'm left with a sweet, dark amber that's masculine enough that I smell like I've wrapped myself in one of Bear's big sweaters on a cold day. Hubba hubba :D

Dry: This is just slaying me. It's sexy as all get out. That dark amber is masculine and sexy and dark and comforting and just incredible. Brava Beth, this is magic.

Final thoughts: I absolutely cannot wait to slather it on Bear. It's also not too masculine for me to feel uncomfortable wearing it. I'm going to need to scour the sales page for another bottle so we can each have one.

Verdict: Hoarding.

Ooooh is this sexy as hell! This is all amber and cologne, I would say light on the cologne and mostly amber. This blend is so simple yet it is so nice, get a bit of a lavender smell creeping in. I normally hate lavender but this blend makes it work. There is a slight fresh powder scent to this, without being baby powder scented. Need to track down some more of this possibly.

I've been reticent to skin test my imp because it smells a bit... plain? I can't really make out any notes from the imp, but I dabbed it on today either way and WOW. This goes from understated to sexy as hell really fast!

This is exactly what Thomas would smell like, it's a fougere, but not as sweet and decadent as Dorian, instead it's a bit colder, which makes Thomas seem a lot more distant. The lavender blends so well with the amber, and it all smells very cohesive. I don't know where the sexiness comes from but I love it and I want my boyfriend to smell like this. Or you know, to alternate between this and Alan bc he smells great too!

I'm raving about this just as much as the next person, this is SO GOOD!!!
A soft, red, intriguing scent that describes his character perfectly and has the longest staying power than any other perfume I've ever tried. I'm in love with this. :wub3:

Pinkish-brown oil in the vial. Thick and viscous.

First impression: Full on amber, warm and powerful. The lavender that makes it a fougere is playing a soft second fiddle.

I love amber and I love lavender, so I'm like, "How was there not already an amber/lavender scent for me to fall in love with?" Well, there is one now. :bunnyluv: