Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Silvertree

Dead Leaves, White Musk & Vanilla Hair Gloss

I'm a big fan of white musk, but given my love of patchouli and the heavier musks, I wasn't expecting this to be my favorite of the blends. The rich vanilla and light, airy white musk pair beautifully with the earthiness of the dead leaves, so it melds into this perfectly balanced swirl of leaves tumbling in a crisp autumn breeze.

OH MY GLOB. THIS. THIIIIIIS.

I need 10 bottles.

Right out of the box I noticed this incredible leafy smell that I know well from many of the labs autumn blends. I'm not a huge fan of that smell on it's own, so I was a little cautious when I went to spray my hair with the gloss.

Right out of the nozzle it's slightly astringent, and I'm a little afraid it will be headache inducing, but almost immediately it blooms into the most beautiful smell. I can't even describe it.

It's rich, but not decadent. it's elegant, and gorgeous. The vanilla and musk remind me of one of my favorite vanilla teas. It's glorious. I'm going to be so sad when I run out. I am seriously contemplating buying at least 2 more.

I wonder if this is going to be a repeat of the cardamom, tobacco, whatsit hairgloss where there seemed to be a couple batches out there-- because I get NO vanilla or musk. Zip. Zero. 100% dead leaves. Its pretty intense right when I put it on, but it fades down to be a little bit softer and spicier, but still a little more masculine than I'd prefer. Was really hoping the vanilla and musk would smooth it out a bit.

In the bottle and fresh on my hair this starts with a blast of leaves. These aren't totally crispy dead leaves. There is some bitter green chlorophyll still hanging around in these suggesting they are just newly fallen. As it dries the vanilla comes out as a soft, sweet comfortable halo. If I smell my hair directly up to my nose I get the leaves but there's this sort of effervescent aura of transparent vanilla and musk hanging around that softens the astringency of the leaves and saves the scent from just being a pile of dead plants.

That being said. This is pretty heavy on the leaves so keep that in mind.

It's not my favorite HG but I don't mind giving it some time in my immense HG rotation now and then.

I really wanted to love this one but it just doesn't like my hair ):

On first spray I get the tiniest hint of white musk and it fades immediately to crisp crunchy leaves. After about a hour of waiting for it to change I realize it never does. I don't get any vanilla, no more white musk...... Just leaves the entire time. I love the lab and post leaf note but I wanted something more *sigh*

This is my favorite of the Post's Halloweenies 2015 HG!

I get the dead leaves and musk immediately, then the musk fades and I am left with soft, autumnal vanilla auras.

Just lovely! ☺

starts off verrrrry leafy and a bit sharp from the white musk. the vanilla is more of a backing scent at this point. i don't know if it's the combination of leaves and white musk, but it seems a bit reminiscent of the snow note to me? once it settles into my skin (skin testing first), it gets less sharp thankfully, and i can smell the vanilla more. this is very light and pretty with just a little bit of sweetness from the vanilla.

This is mostly dead leaves with a bit of musk on me. The vanilla is really faint, or may be melding with the other notes in a way that's difficult for my nose to detect. It's definitely light and fresh, and brighter than some of the other leaf glosses. This one isn't calling to me as much as some of the others, but it is pretty!

I gave Dead Leaves, White Musk & Vanilla hair gloss a shot, even though the dead leaves note has historically amped on me and been a bit overwhelming. I get a strong blast of dead leaves on first application, but it falls back pretty quickly, and is softened by the white musk and vanilla which together remind me a bit of the linen note. It's very clean without being ozone-y, and the balance is just right on me for a very wearable dead leaves scent. I can see myself reaching for this one on a crisp autumn day (like today).

This one is a blast of cold crisp autumn air in a halo around my head.

I get only dead leaves and musk. It's very strong upon initial application and is best described as "chilly".

The vanilla might eventually be coming out on my hair but only after the gloss is passed the strong throw stage so it's hard to tell. As it is, I love the crispness of the initial leaf-and-musk smell.

It's definitely great for fall but I think the crispness helps it carry into winter as well. Since I discovered that the dead leaf note doesn't work on my skin, I'm glad I picked up a bottle of this gloss.

In order of strength, white musk, vanilla and dead leaves. Whereas the perfume was more of a dead leaves with a touch of vanilla, I find the white musk to be much more prominent in hair gloss form.

Cool, crisp, white musk.

...This needs to be a perfume. How is this not a perfume? This is the *perfect* Dead Leaves scent. The leaves are fresh, greenish and airy with white musk - giving them, despite the greenness, a curious desolate wintery smell - with just a soft warm rounding of vanilla behind them. This smells like a February moorland in the UK: wide spaces full not of snow but a deep wet frosty chill, damp soil and frozen grass, but just a faint hint of warmth to come in the sun.