Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kscha2017

Blood Moon Full Lunar Eclipse

September 27th brings us a Supermoon Blood Moon Full Lunar Eclipse in Aries. This is the scent of domination and belligerence, passivity and compliance – revenge clashing against reconciliation – and the internal struggle to balance it all. Soul-rending hatred gnawing at the impulse of compassion, the struggle for safety at all costs, and the blood and tears that cleanse it all in the end.

May the Gods show mercy to any who stand in the way.

Impenetrable, blood-spattered, Martial red musk, fiery pomegranate and black pepper, the splintered woods of uncountable wooden arrow shafts and shields, sharp frankincense and morose myrrh, all smothering the gentler impulses of the moon.

First review I'm writing and I can't do it the usual way because I'm not that good yet. But I needed to say that I bought this scent believing I wouldn't like it. But the concept of it fit me to a T. It described me, like someone had seen me from the innermost part of my soul. I thought I was being very foolish with my wallet. I figured instead of wearing the scent I wouldn't like, I'd use it in ritual (likely something pertaining to my rage issues).

Well, the bottle arrived and I tentatively sniffed it. What?? This isn't rage. This is the gorgeous rust-red color of the moon the night of the eclipse. If color had a scent, this would be what the moon wore that night as she gazed down on us in beauty and splendor. I could do nothing but stop and gaze back in love and wonder. She was calm, comforting, soft, caring, and gentle despite her position in Aries.

I can't describe this other than, on me, it smells like a soft, floral nag champa. It's utterly beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. If this is rage, let me rage.

I was so excited that I tested straight out of the mailbox.

This is very pomegranate and wood heavy on me, and the effect is very similar to Red Queen, which I love. It's fruity, sweet, a little tangy, and woody. The kind of wood I really like (may even be the same Mahogany note from Red Queen), it's for sure not pine or cedar. I get a bit of the musk, but not much. These is deeper and darker than Red Queen, but still very similar to my nose. I can't wait to see how it settles and ages! For sure a keeper.

This isn't bellicose at all, just bella! It's gorgeous smooth fruit and musk and if there's wooden shards, they've been sanded down nicely with no rough edges. I'm not getting the Tolkien inspired battle carnage I envisioned from the description, but that's ok. Reminds me a bit of Penumbra or a cousin to Mme Moriarty.

I am glad to see pepper in a blend and will search out more in the future as I don't often find it as a main player.

This starts with a blast of the gorgeous red musk we love from Beth swirling around a wood that I can't identify and pepper.

It settles down quickly to a comforting pomegranate blend that is all grown up with the red musk, pepper, myrrh with just a blush frankincense.

For what it is worth this is what I was hoping Mme. Moriarty would smell like on me. This pulsates and thrums warmth, a powerful blend that speaks to me. This is beautiful, and I am very happy to have a bottle of this.

Edited by neoncas

This is all soft peppery woods on me, with the musk and frankincense mellowing it out. So pretty. Funny that so many of us are getting the opposite of a warlike or aggressive blend from this. When I viewed the eclipse that night I felt calm, peaceful, and this blend matches that feeling perfectly. Now the myrrh's coming up a bit. Gosh, this is is gorgeous. Gonna age a treat.

I find this to be fruitier than I expected. The first whiff is all pomegranite and it remains pomegranite heavy as it dries. In the drydown, the pomegranite is backed by soft woods which are sadly a little pencil shaving-y on me, and the smells are not blending as I would like them to. On the fence - I have to let the settle and see if I like it better in a couple of weeks.

A sweet red musk. You can definitely smell the pom, although I'm not able to identify it as such, just sweet fruit. I never got much of the woods or incense. There was very little throw, surprising for a red musk blend. Definitely a keeper; hopefully the woods and incense will come out more as it ages and give it some depth.

Blood Moon Lunar Eclipse is lovely and red. The juiciness of the pomegranate works in an interesting way against the dry woods, and this reminds me a bit of of Blood Moon 2005. Here, the red musk and pom create a halo of decadence that's tempered by the black pepper, frank, and myrrh. It's both reverential and sumptuous...a study in contradictions for red musk lovers!

Sniffed in the bottle, and upon initial application on skin, I get strong pomegranate. It is quickly followed by the red musk. The woods, pepper, frank and myrrh are well blended and meld into the pom and musk, grounding them and making this a gorgeous dark red blend. Although they don't share many notes other than the pom and black pepper, this reminds me of a non-patchouli version of my beloved Crypt Queen. It's not the same, but has a similar feel that makes me happy. I rarely buy or wear lunacy blends, so I'm thrilled to have found one that I can really love and enjoy.

Peppery woods get overloaded with pomegranate and red musk on the drydown. Way sexier and fruitier than I expected, but I am definitely amping up the pom in this blend. Good throw, good wear length.

I can see both the Crypt Queen and Blood Moon 2005 comparisons.