Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Thomas Stothard
White leather and cypress-tinged white musk with cardamom, smouldering incense, Ceylon cinnamon and white sandalwood.

Holy moly. This reminds me most of the Hell of Great Heat meets the Evening on the Veranda atmo spray from Trading Post. I would assume if you enjoyed either one of those (as I do) you would love this.
The leather isn't harsh or chemical-y and I smell it first with a touch of cypress and cinnamon. Then...there is a spicy incense explosion! Cardamom, yes. Cinnamon, yes. Incense, yes. Wow. This one is going to age like a dream, but it is already perfect. LOVE THIS.

Oh this is lovely of its type and I find myself thinking "maybe I _do_ want to wear incensey spicy scents after all." Very rarely do I decide that a scent is too masculine, but this one fits the bill. I would love to slather this on a date.

I mostly get cinnamon and snuggly leather, with hints of cardamom. I can tell it has grounding sandalwood in there, but I never got any musk. Very heavy on spices, very warm and snuggly. Satan is clearly the kind of guy who likes to cuddle in front of a fire.

Tzi

This one has a lot of cinnamon, but it feels almost effervescent for some reason? There is a hint of the leather in the background, and the whole thing is shrouded in a little cloud of incense smoke.

Very lovely, and definitely unisex too. It feels like a powerful blend for a man, but the right kind of woman could definitely wear it too.

I'm so glad I have a bottle of this. I wish it was GC.

It blends together well, and I can't separate out any of the notes clearly. It starts off warm musky scent with a bit of incense that gets stronger as it dries, and within a half hour it's smoldering. I don't get a smoke smell from it, just a distinct sense that something's burning. About 14 hours later it's almost gone, leaving a faint version of that starting warm, soft leather musk with an occasional whiff of incense. It seems to stay pretty close to my skin for the duration.

The overall effect strikes me as golden and unassailably confident. I feel like a demon prince with this on.

WOW very cypruss - very x-masy! there is cinnamon and incense

NO leather :(

after a bit, it turns a bit "dryer sheet" on me :( and loses the cinnamon

This is hard for me to smell on the drydown,which is weird. I might need to slather.

It's incense and spices with maybe a hint of trees or leather - I think the leather and sandalwood just ground the scent. This isn't something I'd normally wear, it's masculine and not my normal thing, but I really like it. I want to see how it ages for sure, and it'll be a good warm winter scent.

Sweet cinnamon over tinges of leather, sandalwood and musk. Overall, this is very wearable. I really sort of enjoy it but its too masculine for me to wear.

I tried this on mr. zee_zee but it ended up a warm incensey over leather blend on him.

In vitro- leather, cinnamon.

Wet- ouch, I'm getting weals. This disappeared shortly after I applied so I slathered. My skin is red. So this is the cinnamon reaction? Cinnamon and leather mainly. Cardamom lends a spicy edge.

Dry- First, cinnamon, leather, soft skin musk, and woody cypress. Cardamon does the spice note thing. It disappears again.

Late drydown-My skin is tingling again. Up close, I smell soft leather, like suede, and cinnamon plus cardamom. These are my favorite spice notes. The musk is soft, it isn't the soapy or high pitched white note that I fear. This has very little throw. I really have to put my nose close to find the scent.

Analysis- I almost bought a bottle of this without smelling the decant first, as they had me at "Ceylon cinnamon." However, I tested first because leather can be problematic for my skin and white musk can be soapy. I really want to like this but my skin swallowed it. I'll age the imp and retest. The lack of sillage will hopefully improve with age because the notes combine well and the composition is complex, sweet, leathery, and spicy. Cypress combined well with the leather and spices. Genius combination of notes, if only my skin didn't eat it.

Edited by sprout

In bottle: Very nuanced and complicated incense. The sandalwood, cypress, and leather work together to ground the other notes. It's cypress dominant with sandalwood support. The leather is a strong second, playing well with it's musk support. The insense is familiar, but I'm not placing it. There is a hint of burning about it. The Cardamom and cin namon complicate it. I think the incense is a little too strong for me, though I really love the way this is structured.

oh I lurrrrve this.

It's such a warm yet...banked smoulder kind of scent. So well blended that I had to read the notes to realize it was leather I was loving, mixing so beautifully with the cardamom and white musk....wit that gorgeous, low and slow incense..... and I'm getting a touch of cola or sarsaparilla in the middle of it all.

This could almost be a wild west saloon/ cat house...

I loved it at first sniff from the bottle. The incense warms up on my skin and slow dances with the leather, smoke and cola.....

My new favorite cozy yet enigmatic winter scent...... YUMMMM......

And huge surprise, Yes there's cinnamon in here, but i can actually wear this one without it going DEFCON 1 on my skin, to drown out other notes.

Huge happy Cheshire Cat smile over here...... Hellooooooo Satan.....

This is dry, just as I suspected from the notes. I'm definitely getting sandalwood and cypress, with nothing else atm. Smells like Christmas, which is fitting for this time of year. This isn't something I'd wear, but it's nice to try.

Wet - leather with a hint of ecclesiastical incense. Very masculine.

As it dried, the incense came forward a bit - by about five minutes after application, it was a lovely balance between incense and leather. I can't really smell the cinnamon, but my skin certainly knows it's there. My skin is flushing red and going warm/tingly/faintly itchy wherever the oil has touched it.

Dry - after an hour or so, the leather has dialed back a bit and spice has started to peek it's way out, and it's delicious leather/incense with a hint of spice. It's one of the first strongly leather-scented blends I've worn that isn't overly masculine on me (Fighter reeks of brand new motorcycle leathers on me, even when I try to layer it with something else), but I can tell it's already starting to fade.

After two and a half hours, all traces are entirely gone. My skin has eaten it whole.

I really like what this one turns into after I've been wearing it for a bit, but the hour or so of delicious soft incense-y spiced leather may not be worth waiting out the ten minutes of skin-reaction at the beginning.

Starts off as sharp red hots cinnamon candy and an undertone of smoky incense, and gets more powdery sandalwood and soapy, dry white musk to it over time. I don't get any of the leather from my decant.

My imp of Satan Summoning His Legions smells like soft leather with cinnamon and cardamom. Yum! But my skin disagrees with this one. Sometimes leather and white musk are fantastic (see: Jareth), but here the white musk turns intermittently soapy on my skin. So it was lovely at first, exactly the kind of fiery soft leather scent I love, and then it went soapy. And then the lovely was back again, but then again the soapy. I think this would be a beautiful gender neutral scent for anyone whose skin doesn't convert white musk into soap.

In the decant: The incense and the cypress-tinged white musk stand out to me the most.

On me: The cypress-infused white musk is the first thing that jumps out at me, backed by the incense and some leather. There's a touch of cinnamon, but it does not burn or dominate the scent. There's a juxtaposition of cool and warm from these notes, but eventually, that subsides, and the incense wins out. There's some champaca in the incense, but the incense becomes more resinous over time, so that it smells like resinous incense and a light leather backed by white musk after several hours of wear. I only get a touch of cardamom because it is a listed note -- otherwise, I would not know it was in here.

Verdict: This was pleasant, but not something I'm likely to reach for... mainly because I was hoping the cypress would stick around longer than it did. I'm going to pass the sample on to a friend that was curious about it when it was live and never got to try it.