Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
d0gbones

A Young Woman Appealing to a Witch

John Nixon
Honey, cream and white rose petals buffeted by toadstools, creeping moss, bog cypress, and myrrh.

In the bottle: Honey, myrrh and something tangy, which is probably the mosses and myrrh.
Wet: Fizzy penny sweets! Like cherry cola bottles. I dunno what's going on there.
Dry: Mostly a rosy myrrh and maybe a little honey. It's gorgeous and I love it.

I am getting a lot of honey from this one, with white rose. It certainly shares a vibe with Katrina Van Tassel, but is also very different.

There is something greenish creeping up behind the rose scent + a little resinous glow from the myrrh.

I actually prefer the wet stages on this one, where it is predominantly rose. But overall it is a nice and somewhat different weenie :smile:

Wet: the honey note from O is predominant. I happen to love that note, so yay! There's something slightly greener underneath - a fresh grassy scent. No rose yet.

For whatever reason, I tested 3 scents on the same arm, so my nose is having a fit. This one is better appreciated sniffing from a few inches away, but I keep huffing it trying to keep it separate from the others and I've about made myself cross-eyed in the process.

Dry: ok, once again I'm going to be fairly useless describing what it is I'm sniffing. But the smell I'm getting from my wrist reminds me of a baby doll I had when I was little; one of those super realistic ones that had scented skin. Sort of a soft, delicate, sweet scent that isn't quite baby powder but in that family. I'm thinking that maybe the honey's gone a bit powdery on me, as it's wont to do. And beside it is light, creamy rose with a hint of grass.

To me, this is a soft, girly, spring scent. Not what I'd expect from a Weenie, but very lovely none the less.

Edited by sailthetethys

Honey, cream and very baby powder-y when it's wet. But when it's dry it stays the same except there is less honey and more rose begins to come to the front. I get no myrrh and I can barely detect any of the other notes. It's powdery, rose-y and really beautiful......... But I don't know how much I would wear it.

Ok so looks like I'm getting a different experience than everyone else.

This is weird in the bottle. I'm getting a funky, dank honey / rose.

Wet I'm getting a slightly rosy moss-dominant scent with a little cypress and a sweet honeyed background. I'm not sure what to think, but it's definitely interesting.

Dry it's definitely a little rosier, but still a weird combo of rose, moss, honey, and cypress in that order. I'm not getting myrrh or toadstools that I can recognize.

I'll let this age a little and see where it gets me. I'm hoping the myrrh comes out a little more.

This is a weird one for sure, but also strangely fascinating.

This one toggled between sweet and odd herbals. On wet, it was much sweeter with the honey and white rose dominating. Now, it got the odd herbals and I swear I smell something that smells like a moist toadstool mushroom underneath all of the honey and white rose swirls.

This is probably one of the most interesting white rose blends I've ever smelled.

In the decant: White rose, honey, and cypress.

Wet: The rose dominates, followed by the honey and cypress notes. The cream note begins to emerge, but it isn't as strong as the other notes I've mentioned. I'm getting more cypress from this the longer it sits on my skin, but it hasn't overtaken the rose note yet.

Dry: The rose note is still the most prominent note, but the blend is verging on soap-territory now... it must be the combination of the rose and moss notes with my skin chemistry.

After a while, the cream note emerges a lot more, and the myrrh note peeks out, but decides to linger in the background. I'm not really getting anything that reminds me of toadstools from this. By this time, it is mainly rose and cream, accompanied by some moss. I prefer this phase the most.

Several hours later, the cypress gains prominence again, so that it is mostly rose, cream, and cypress on me.

Verdict: The final stage is decent, but I own creamy florals that I enjoy a lot more, and I wasn't particularly fond of the drydown (in which the scent became rather soapy on me). I'm glad I did not blind buy a bottle of this one and decided to go the decant-route instead.

In vitro- sweet honey, light and sunny.

Wet- very honey, a hint of wood from the cypress, lemony rose petals

Drying - creamy floral, honey supporting, becomes creamy, and this stage is glorious. There is a hint of greenery, herbal beneath, but faint

Drydown- my skin chemistry turns the rose powdery. It's a crying shame. This is a mature woman's rose soap. Think oil of Olay.

Final thoughts- My skin massacred this, as it does most rose notes. Before the rose went soapy and powdery, this was a beautiful honeyed cream with rose petals. I could try a scent locket but I will probably frimp this away. I have a few rose blends that work and honey ones too. If you have a more benign skin chemistry, perhaps you can enjoy this as the beautiful creamy floral intended. Still, I had to try, knowing rose is my nemesis, I keep hoping that I will find those exceptional blends where it somehow works...

In the imp and wet on my skin this smells very much like O + soft greenery and rose. I definitely get that heavy, animalic honey note. I'm only half into it in the wet stage.

But dry? Ohmigosh. I could swear that this is... I wouldn't say this lightly... OLLA Eve. It's not quite as complex as Eve, but I'm still getting a *very* familiar impression of a soft, sweet rosy incense. Needless to say, I'm in love. I definitely need a bottle, maybe two!

Flowery herbs infused with honey. I quite like this, it reminds me a bit of Mama Ji. It does go into waxy fake territory after a bit, so I won't be needing any more.

This was the scent I wanted most from the Weenies, and I received it from a dear friend as a Christmas gift. I was eager to put it on and I haven't been disappointed. The closest scent I have to this idea is Alice, and this is similar in execution, but with very different notes: rose and myrrh blend with honey and cream against an herby, sweet grass backdrop that smells like that stage in autumn when everything's going yellow but still smells very much alive when you're outside in the brush. It was very well-blended, and I wouldn't say I picked up any single scent above the rest, but I could definitely tell I was getting honeyed, creamy flowers against that wild dying greenery background. It also lasted forever and had great throw, and never went soapy or powdery on me. A Christmas miracle, maybe? The sweet scents and the boggy scents balance each other out beautifully. I felt this wore exactly like its description, which was wonderful; if anyone really wanted this i hope they manage to nab it before they're gone!

Pretty, soft rose with a hint of greenery clinging to it, coated in a warm, honey scented dusting powder. I'm not getting the cream or a creamy impression from this, but it's a pretty, sweet, honeyed, powdery rose with some unusual green notes.

I love me some white rose, but somehow this managed to evade my grasp when the Weenies were live. I managed to snag a bottle on the forum and I'm SO GLAD I DID. Katrina Van Tassel is one of my favorite Weenies of years past and while I can certainly tell that they share their base notes, AYWATAW elevates the tang of the rose and the creaminess of the honey and *ahem* cream to a really special place. The myrrh and herbs make this really unusual, surprisingly perfect for a Weenie blend. If you're a fan of BPAL's white rose note, this is a must try.

I ordered this scent on a complete whim because I was intrigued by the "toadstools" note, and I wasn't disappointed. On my skin, it's primarily a honey scent with a whiff of cream while wet. The bog cypress and myrrh creep in to give a slightly herbal scent, almost like a wildflower or sage honey. As the scent dries, the rose becomes more apparent. It never overpowers the honey but it's always easy to pick out. The moss and toadstools ground the sweetness of the scent and prevent it from veering into "cloying" territory by adding a hint of vegetal "bogginess". Definitely wasn't sure if I would like this, but it's one of my favorite scents and I'm definitely going to need to find a backup (or two!). 

I was gifted this one by a good friend who said it was all baby powder on them- maybe it’s a matter of preference or maybe it’s my skin, but luckily that was Not my experience!

In the bottle, you do get a bit of powdery, fluffy sweetness- probably the honey and cream- along with a wet, earthy greenness underneath.

Wet on skin, the cypress and moss curls up around the edges of the sweet stuff, backed by a rich earthiness from the toadstool. I get the impression of rich, crystallized spoonfuls of honey given up to the undergrowth as an offering to the creeping  vines, or what lives under them. 

After 30 mins or so, it all softens and melds together into a lovely cozy herby powder: I’m reminded of dust settling in a warm patch of sunlight inside an abandoned apothecary.  It has decent staying power on me and layers beautifully with simpler atmospheric scents like Cathedral and Graveyard Dirt.