Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Départ Pour Le Sabbat (Aufbruch Zum Hexensabbat)

Albert-Joseph Pénot
Bourbon vanilla, sweet red patchouli, oudh, goat's milk accord, and white honey.

In The Bottle: Creamy goat's milk and sweet patchouli. YUM!
Wet On Skin: the Oudh just popped out and it's adding a nice grounding aspect.

Dry Down: This now has the warm spice of Hod, but with the goat's milk adding a little milky texture into the mix. It's a bit odd, to be honest. But I find my self compelled to sniff repeatedly.

In All: Low throw, close to the skin scent. I would wear this primarily during the day, as a scent to feel cozy with, like curing up with a good book and a mug of tea.

Much as I wanted this, I could see multiple ways for it to go wrong - the most likely being the oudh and patchouli making it too earthy for me.

That actually didn't happen; this is a nice warm scent that smells like a creamy wine-earth mix. It's similar to other fall BPAL scents I have like Autumn III (I think that's the name of it) from last year but I'm still glad I got a bottle.

Wet, this is honey and cream with a woody patchouli scent that's beautifully set off by the sweetness. Dry, all that sugar disappears and this becomes a deep, dry, woody smell. On my wrists it's all red patchouli, in my cleavage all oudh. Very smoky and woody.

I like it and am thinking about keeping my bottle because it's unlike the other Weenies I have kept around, but I will probably test it side by side with Samhain. My guess is that Samhain's complexity will win out, since this is only patchouli/oudh on me. It's very evocative of a dry, dark forest.

In the bottle: Amazing creamy sweetness and a touch of bourbon.

Wet: Very much like toffee

Dry: Smoky and creamy, it sort of reminds me of honey Jack Daniel's minus the alcohol sharpness.

(not sure what's going on with the formatting here)

Edited by d0gbones

Wet I am getting most strongly the goat's milk, bourbon and patchouli making a foodie sort of 'cooking on the oven' scent.. it is definitely unique.. Sniffing closely I can detect every note, true to form.

Drydown is the best part.. the bourbon hopscotches around a phenomena of goaty creaminess lingering in the background, with a woody honey at the fore.

This is how I characterize the scent overall: sexy wood! Sexy broomstick! It IS evocative of the image; a nude, witchy woman straddling a broomstick ;)

And I like smelling that way. Get it! I sense this will age wondrously.

Edited by SpookyBunny

So from the off, this is all patchouli and bourbon vanilla on me. I do get the goat's milk and honey but only on the drydown. The patch is very shouty, so it's a good job I like it.

I have a feeling this is going to change one heck of a lot as it ages. Some patch blends start of being quite woody on me and this is one of those. The patch blends that start off that way are always entirely different after about a year has passed - they turn more sultry and sexy. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how this one matures. I think it's going to get better and better.

This will make an excellent unisex scent. It has a masculine tone to it that I really like. Going to be slathering my husband in this fo sho.

This is very much in the vein of Visions of Autumn III and even a softer Feed Me And Fill Me With Pleasure. Both of which are totally in my wheelhouse, so I am a happy girl!

Wet it is soft honey, a very nice and tangy? goat's milk note and smoky oude. Oude can be a bit of a problematic note for me, I amp into a strong cedar-like smell. But as always, BPAL has its little tricks and in this case Oude + Red Patchouli = My Beloved Black Patchouli. Vanilla is always a background player for me, I'm sure it's there but just to add a different dimension to the sweetness of the honey. But this is snuggly and warm and yummy and different facets come out to play at different times. The goat's milk in particular makes some assertive and welcome appearances throughout wear time. Stays close, but in a good way.

Like others have noted, this is close to the skin sexiness. The patch is mellow, and the honey is soft with a whisper of oudh and goat's milk. It's gorgeous and I'm sure will be quite the stunner as it ages. Love!

In the bottle: smoky caramel. It reminds me of the sexy caramel of Tiresias, which I love. A distant intimation of patchouli.

Wet: Caramel, quickly overtaken by patch and paling towards honey -- a sweet vanillic waxiness.

(I think what I smell as caramel must be honey + goat's milk, and when the patchouli comes in it overtakes the milk but not the sweet waxiness of the honey.)

This is indeed a fast flight from one scent to an entirely other scent. A very clever translation of the image.

I like where this ends up very much -- gentle dust and wood and vanilla -- only I miss the sexy caramel.

Edited by radiantfracture

In the bottle this is sweet, sugary goodness. I definitely get the vanilla and milk but there seems to be a bit of butterscotch as well though I know that's not in the listed notes. Wet on the skin, the ouhd and honey come out strongly but as it dries I get a touch of patchouli and the honey fades back a bit leaving the oudh and vanilla in the spotlight. This is a very snuggly scent, staying pretty close to the skin. I really really like this.

In the bottle and wet on the skin this is very foody! But after a while the patchouli takes over and the foodiness dissipates. I am getting a little bit of the vanilla as well, but on me this is mainly patchouli.

I should have known, since I amp patchouli in most blends, but oh well.

starting off it's milky with a hint of nuttiness. the patchouli comes out next, with some honey. i'm relieved to know that goat's milk accord works much better with my skin chemistry than the regular bpal milk note. it does remind me of goat's milk soap i've used in the past. anyway, the honey continues to blossom, along with vanilla, sweetening this up a bit. i absolutely love the lab's bourbon vanilla note and during the drydown it becomes most prominent with the milk, honey and hints of patchouli. this is a fresh but warm and comforting scent.

In the bottle: a warm, comforting sweetness with a patchouli spine.

On the skin, all phases: sweet patchouli. FWIWX I don't like patchouli, but this blend is nor bothering me, and I've had it on for two hours. It's fairly close to the skin, but I also didn't apply all that much, so YMMV. Unfortunately I just don't get any nuance, so while the patchouli isn't too dirty or earthy in this case for me to handle, I imagine I'll pass it along.

I haven't done a review in a while, so bear with me on this ...

In the imp: sweet and creamy, slightly spiced patchouli. It almost reminds me of something more gourmand/food-y in terms of scent.

Wet on skin: Patchouli.

Dry down - 15 minutes later ... Patchouli. But it's a soft patch, it doesn't go into "pencil shavings" territory, which is a good sign.

Dry down - 25 minutes later ... It's still just patchouli. I was really hoping for some sweet, creamy vanilla-honey goodness to peek its way through.

In full disclosure, patch is just a "meh" scent for me - I don't go out of my way to find blends with this note, but it doesn't scare me away either. I can amp patch to high heaven and this blend is no different.

This blend would probably be wonderful on someone with different chemistry than me. I was hoping this blend would be more nuanced, as with the sweet, creamy, spicy notes I was getting in the imp. Ah well, glad I got a chance to try her out. If you like patch give this one a shot. :)

Chalk me up for having weird skin chemistry, but this one, on drydown, smells like a very strong, heady, dirty incense. For the first minute or two, it's distinctively red patchouli with a soft honey note, and in the vial I can clearly identify the goat milk and other notes, but after that BAM. Incense. Incense and a little smoke. And maybe something sweet underneath. I can't remember having had a perfume morph quite this aggressively on me before; it really smells completely different on me than it does as a liquid.

But.

It's incredible and I need a full bottle. O_O Like, yesterday. I smell like the mosh pit at the Siouxsie & the Banshees concert I saw in 1995. I can't think of another BPAL I've tried that has achieved quite the same balance of sweet, smoke, and filth. *insert assortment of delighted cursing here*

Départ Pour Le Sabbat is definitely for red patchouli lovers. The red patch is glorious here, and I can also smell the honey and vanilla—they're not shy. The goat's milk accord is strongest on me when wet, but gives a subtle tangy creaminess to everything when dry. The oudh comes out on the drydown and I get some wonderful wood notes about 20 minutes after application. Another one that could be either sexy or comforting, depending on mood. Really glad I tried this, and I think it will age like a dream. Going to have my husband try it as well...I have a feeling this will be great on him.

this smells rich and sweet/creamy/foodie for the first few hours.

the drydown retains the sweetness while some of the heavy richness burns off.

I'm honestly not much of a wearer of foodie scents, and this is a little overwhelming to me.

First sniff – very vanilla sweet with just a hint of the patch.

Testing – On the skin this reads very much like Velvet Dogs Playing Poker Lite. Although, it is quite strong and might not be Lite at all. Thick and sweet with a syrupy patch and what might be oudh.

I might guess that the smooth wood in VDPP is oudh and that Irish coffee is cousins with goat's milk accord w/ honey. If you would like to try Velvet Dogs and can't find it, this would be a very acceptable substitute.

This has quickly become my favorite of the Weenies this year. Red patchouli does not always work for me, but in this case it really, really works. What would otherwise be a very creamy, sweet scent (which I love, don't get me wrong) is given a woody, smoky kick with the red patchouli. It's not overwhelmingly heavy either, just the right balance. I find this to be a warm, cozy scent- perfect for autumn. I've been wearing this with Revenant Rhythm hair gloss and they layer quite nicely together.

Edited by dottie_doom

Initial smell this was cloyingly sweet, like liquid caramel. I could almost swear this had the lab's buttery (ie Jack) pumpkin note in it just sniffing from bottle. It morphs quite a bit on the skin. Don't get me wrong-it stays fairly sweet throughout but this is all about the WOODZ rather than the foodz. It's warm and dry and every once in a while I get a hint of powdery honey. I would swear this has oak in it but maybe I'm just misinterpreting the oudh. This wears close to the skin and disappears in less than two hours on my skin. I don't dislike it at all, it's quite pleasant, but I might not find it interesting enough to keep the full bottle. Well, actually I probably will because the label art is perfection. I love me some Pénot!

Goat milk, oudh, vanilla honey. This one is a sophisticated gourmand and the goat milk is very well behaved. Low throw, good wear length on me.

Interesting, but still not my style. I am still warming up to anything goat milk related.

Cloyingly sweet and creamy right off. Patchouli comes out pretty quick, though and saves the blend. I like it at this point, it reminds me of "Feed Me And Fill Me With Pleasure". Too much so to warrant a bottle of this one.

In the decant: Sweet vanilla, creamy goat's milk, and honey, along with patchouli and oudh.

Wet: The sweet notes dominate, but the patchouli note is very prominent as well. The oudh note is still present, but it isn't as strong as the other notes. Patchouli and I aren't always friends, but I just love Revenant Rhythm so much that I had to try this one to see if they were similar (and if I could pair it with my Revenant Rhythm hair gloss). The vanilla note in this, along with the creamy goat's milk and honey notes, make this more gourmand than Revenant Rhythm, but I still think this would go really well with the Revenant Rhythm products from the Trading Post.

The patchouli note gains prominence over time.

Dry: The scent is staying close to the skin now. Patchouli is now the dominant note. It's primarily sweet, woody, red patchouli. I'm not getting much of the other notes now. The sweet notes are barely there, adding a bit of sweetness to the patchouli note.

Verdict: I think I may need a bottle of this. I believe it may contain the same patchouli as Revenant Rhythm (although I can't be sure since I don't have my bottles around to sniff right now), but the vanilla in this is richer, and I can definitely smell the caramel-vibe that some other reviewers have mentioned. I prefer Banshee Beat/Revenant Rhythm, but it is so rare that I like a scent with a prominent patchouli note that I think I may need this one too. I'll give it a full-day test (and see how much damage Yules do) before deciding if I need a bottle before it goes away.

Wet: The patchouli is super gnarly for about a split second, then the other notes round it out and it's lovely. Sweet, creamy (but not foodie on me). It's very light, and I am having to add a dab more for a proper test. Earthy, sweet and creamy. Quite nice.

Dry: I'll be totally honest - what I wanted was something even remotely similar to Revenant Rhythm Hair Gloss, which I am madly in love with. This is not that. It's not Banshee Beat. But it's beautiful in it's own way, and I do think it will layer well with my RR HG. This is not the same vanilla. This goes a bit dusty on me, and doesn't have that sexy quality that RR has. This is comforting, creamy and soft. I am glad I grabbed a blind bottle. It's rare I find a patchouli scent I feel like I could wear to work, and this is that for sure. It's really well blended - tough to pick out the individual notes. Overall, really really nice, just missing that "wow" factor that RR has.

I picked this one up on the tail-end of the Halloween scent availability and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. It transforms on me like crazy in every possible good way.

In the bottle: straight up goat's milk and honey. Creamy but not overly sweet. I don't really get the patchouli our oudh at all.

When applied: exactly the same. I actually was afraid that it was going to end up being a straight gourmand scent on me, which I don't like.

Drydown: the patchouli and oudh have arrived, olfactory guns ablaze. The patchouli note in this reminds me a lot of the one in Revenant Rhythm, but the oudh and remnants of the goat's milk accord balance it and keep it from turning into straight head shop smell. It's so warm and comforting.

After a few hours: And the bourbon vanilla at last comes out to play. It sits very close to the skin at this point but I honestly cannot stop huffing my own wrist. There is something so familiar about this one. I just want to put it on when I'm home alone curled up with some tea.

In short: :wub2: Would absolutely get this one again to have a back up. A surprise hit!