Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
IgnisCerebrum

Single Note: Disappointing Pencil

The only way you will be disappointed in this pencil is if you hoped it didn't actually smell like a pencil!
The cedar comes through clearly, and I swear I smell the rubber eraser as well. My skin chemistry doesn't change those notes one bit. Single note simplicity here!

Open bottle. Laugh with delight. This is a liquefied, old school lead pencil from my childhood. I have always loved their smell. I just didn't realize it until now. I agree with the first reviewer that the scent of the eraser is there. For me, it was a warm scent, more like the eraser bits left on the paper. This is the "sleeper hit" of this Weenie season. :)

I had hoped to be first to review this one, but third is cool too!

Honestly, this was the Halloween scent I was most excited for - partly because I literally burst out laughing when I first saw the name in the update. As soon as my package arrived today, I had to try it.

In the bottle: It really IS a pencil! Cedar shavings and a waft of eraser.

On skin: Pure cedar shavings at first. After a little while, I swear a hint of graphite comes in - it's like the contents of a pencil sharpener. Nostalgic and delightful.

After a couple of hours: Warm cedar, and just a hint of vanilla-type sweetness wafting through. Modest throw, not overpowering.

A really nice, friendly scent. Definitely 'pencil', but not disappointing in the least!

Wood, pencil shavings, a little graphite...for all the weird kids who used to smell the pencil sharpener as a kid, the perfect scent! Perfect :)

Pencil Shavings, Wood, burning eraser from when you rubbed the eraser to fast as a kid and it got hot...but it smells just like it...and graphite. This is one of the most provocative scents I have ever tried. So glad to get an imp. :D

i know that the joke with cedar as a perfume note is that it can sometimes make a perfume go to pencil shavings.

this scent does seem to feature cedar, and it does evoke a pencil, but strangely and funnily enough, it's not doing the "pencil shaving" thing.

beautiful cedar wood cologne with something dark, rich and spicey. this is beautiful, and I'm treasuring my decant.

Cedar wood, pencil shavings, graphite. And yes, this smells like a #2 pencil. So not so much a perfume, but an awesome scent experience.

On the other hand, if you ever were to dress up in a pencil costume, this would make it super realistic.

Always reminds me of Olympic Orchid's Woodcut, but less natural and not as good or complex (though I do still enjoy Disappointing Pencil). I collect the stranger sounding single note blends, so this was a keeper for me. I don't know if it really smells like a pencil to me, but it has a rich, dry wood (yet it smells creamy and soft as well, like a wood that would be easy to carve) and almost a caramelized sweetness to it. I love cedar and this is cedar without cedar's natural spiciness. Somewhere between good cedar and good sandalwood.

I don't know if I'm making any sense, but I like this and think that it's a very good wood fragrance.

Disappointing Pencil is mostly about the cedar on me. It's a bold cedar, with touches of eraser and graphite. But it doesn't smell bad by any means... I've tried a lot of scents that sadly wound up smelling like a pencil and/or its eraser remnants on me in a bad way (looking at you, oh so many Possets scents), and this isn't pencil-like in an unpleasant way. It's actually a pretty nice cedar. It could be fun layered with something like a root beer scent to get like, a root beer scented pencil vibe, but of course, we already have Tombstone with its sassafras and cedar (and its gorgeous vanilla).

Disappointing Pencil is not so disappointing after all. :) 

In the bottle: wet cedar!

Wet: cedar and graphite? It smells more like a cedar block used in a closet to combat moths then a pencil. This is not a bad thing. I don't quite get the eraser note others have gotten.

Dry down: Basically the same, not much throw. There's a sweetness to it that I didn't expect.

Verdict: Probably going to keep it because it's a SN and the novelty of it.