Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Single Note: Clown White

I HAD to have this. But I can't imagine what this will smell like...
In The Bottle: Sort of like vanilla Play Dough

Wet On Skin: A soft, white sweet smell. Not even vanilla, exactly. Like marshmallow fluff, or sweet-scented stage fog.

Dry Down: It's become almost a sweet light musk. It's incredibly unassuming, very sweet and charming. Not the chemical greasepaint I had feared. But it's honestly rather hard to describe.

In All: low to medium throw, sweet and comforting. Much better than clowns!

I agree with the review above - it also reminded me of the smell of that white thick paste we had yearrrrs ago in Kindergarten! It loses its sweetness after being on a few mins (I got a blast of almond first applied) and on me becomes a bit almost anise-like. I like it though, in a weird way. :P Really goes with the concept and a good job, I think!

Clown White! So fun! Very cakey, sweet, adorable. I love this.

My uncle was a huge theatrical makeup manufacturer, at one point every theatrical school program used his makeup kits, and I used to go to schools with him to demonstrate makeup application, so this one is very nostalgic for me, even just the idea of it brings back memories.

Thank you for this one!

Whoa. When I first applied this, I got a lot of almond. It was so sweet and almond-y, I started to wonder if I'd somehow gotten a mislabeled decant. After a minute or two, I started to get the vanilla Play-Doh feel that VioletChaos described.

After a little while, it settled into a sweet vanilla-ish scent with very little throw. There was a little bit of a cosmetic-y smell to it, just hovering at the edges, but it was never in-your-face GREASE PAINT, which I was kind of glad about, because I got enough of that in theater to put me off the smell entirely. :P

Sadly, the scent doesn't last very long; it was gone after about half an hour. I mean, it lingered a little--every now and then I'd still think I got a whiff of it--but it was almost impossible to know for sure if I was imagining it.

In college, my work-study job was in the theatre costume department, where I was a stitcher and draper, and then a costume designer on a few productions. It was a fantastic job, full of creative decisions and geometry and quick changes. My boss, the head of costume design at the university and an incredible designer, also taught makeup. Before shows, while quickly whip-stitching some decorative element back onto a costume that fell off during rehearsal, she would pull out boxes and boxes of Ben Nye makeup (maybe Stella's uncle?) and, pre-Kim Kardashian, contour the hell out of some sophomore. The small room would fill with the smell of the makeup and the sweetness of whatever cookies or cake someone brought in.

Clown White smells like makeup and sweets! There is a bit of a Play-Doh vibe, but to me it smells more like pale marzipan and marshmallows and something faintly reminiscent of grease paint. It smells just like that classic white makeup base and a faint trail of something sweet. This makes me so happy, and I'm in awe of Beth's ability to capture 'Clown White' so perfectly.

this opens with the most beautiful soft marzipan note.the scent gets creamier as it dries down. after about thirty minutes, it was just beyond my threshold of foodiness in scents. mostly marshmallow and face paint. not for me, but totally brilliant.

This is like a creamy vanilla cake….or maybe ice cream? Certainly creamy and white!

It's pretty straightforward, so if you enjoy foody scents, you might want to give this one a try! :smile:

Vial: Creamy almonds.

Wet: Almond or cherry? Interestingly, I get vanilla like icecream and maybe almond or cherry.

Drydown: If I had not smelled Zombie Moon, I would be at a loss to describe this, but it smells like the fragrance oil equivalent to the Zombie Moon atmo spray. I am guessing almond/cherry (my nose mixes those up, it smells like either, both) with a creamy and slightly musky base. The base does give the olfactory impression of cosmetics products, like lightly scented creams, etc. so I can see how this will evoke stage make up. But it smells enough like cherry vanilla icecream to make this foody lover happy. It does not smell exactly like cherry vanilla icecream but it does suggest those things. So, maybe cherry vanilla scented stage make-up?

Final analysis: Almond (or cherry) vanilla with a light musk like you find in many skin care or cosmetic products. Somewhere between clean musky and foody. This lasted only about 4 hours on me, and had less than average sillage. It may age to become more predominantly vanilla and almond/cherry (I really cannot decide which!) and since I think it would complement the ZM atmo nicely, I will definitely get more of this. I think it would be interesting layered with Polyester Spiderweb too. It definitely nails the "Clown White" concept.

Source: Decant from TrailerTrashPrincess. Tested on inside of both wrists.

Edited by sprout

Did I even receive the same thing?

Wet: Chocolate! Cocoa! wat.

Dry: It's like a chocolate coffee powder, with something that makes me think of pie cream. There's something almost sugary and reminiscent of sugar skull in here.

This is a surprise winner right here.

Waxy vanilla cream plastic. It smells like vanilla cake and playdoh. Which is weird on me. Great throw, great wearlength.

Goes on like sickly-sweet cherry drink syrup and cherry flavored cough medicine. Dries down to a plasticy cherry hard candy and waxy cherry chapstick. It's cheap, artificial and cloying on my skin. I don't get any vanilla from it.

This scent was a super light cream/vanilla scent. It did smell like makeup. Like face powder. It was a cool scent because it was unique. But sadly it didn't last long at all and had little throw on me. Passed it along. (Not a fan of clowns either, lol)

Wet: MARZIPAN. My body is ready.

Dry: Ugghhh this is so good. :heart: Freshly made marzipan dough. Absolutely edible smelling. I do get a hint of that "powder" smell that others have mentioned in previous reviews, but it's not reading as cosmetic to me. It's more like.. powdered sugar, on my skin at least. Average throw.

Winner!

Edited by donkehpoo

Clown White is foodier than I expected.  I get almond too -- I'm glad to have that confirmed by other noses. It reminds me somewhat of Ooky without the lemon.  Sweet, nutty, a little chalky, and quite long-lasting.  I'm keeping this one!

Vanilla cake and frosting, super sugary and sweet. I don't really get any almond that other reviewers are mentioning, but there's definitely something else here besides those two notes I just can't place my finger on what it is. I am, however, getting some of that play-doh like note but it's not too overpowering. It's creamy and slightly buttery on me, really nice!

I think I got a smear of white chocolate and some marzipan when I first applied this. The marzipan aspect is there for a while, but the marzipan sweetness becomes more of a light marshmallow-y one over time, even though it smells more paste-like as the day goes on. But it's really nice, actually. Way nicer than I had expected!

This decant is a keeper! Thanks to the wonderful BPALista that frimped it to me. :heart: