Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
doomsday_disco

Single Note: Candied Apple

Note: I am not familiar with the scent of actual candied apples. I think I've only had caramel apples.

In the bottle: A juicy apple. I think this features a red apple note.

Wet: Juicy red or red and yellow apples. The apple note somewhat tart, but I don't think it is tart enough to be a green apple. The apple is a lot stronger than the sugar. The candied aspect isn't that prominent, though I can tell that it is there, especially when I compare it to scents like Poisoned Apple.

Dry: Sugary red apples. It's a lot sweeter now. I prefer this phase of the scent.

Verdict: This one is nice. It's not one of my favorite apple scents, but I think I'll be holding onto my bottle, as I really need some spiceless Weenies in my collection.

In the bottle: Like above, not sure what a candied apple should smell like, but this is a very wet apple scent to start... like sniffing a glass of apple juice!

On Skin: Straight up SWEET and sticky apple! Definitely a red apple under the goo, but not sugary sweet. Just sweet!

Dry down: Softens a bit but stays the same.... very pure, juicy, sticky covered red apple. Medium throw on me. Not sure if it is for me, but I will wait and see if it changes at all. :)

Candied apples (however they come, be it with caramel, chocolate, coconut, toffee, whatever) are my favourite autumnal treat. I love how they taste, how they look when displayed in a seasonal fruit bowl and how they smell. I love Beth's other candied apple scents (Creepy, Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple and Sugar Slathered Candied Apple) and so when I saw this as a single note, I couldn't add it to my basket quickly enough.

I had some friends over for drinks last weekend and I made some salted caramel dipping sauce (served warm) to go with green apple slices. This blend is what that smelt like, sans salt. The apple isn't boominyourfaceapple, it's more subtle than that. It is not stronger than the 'candied' element. Both notes, if we can separate them for a moment, are equal to one another perfectly. 50% sugary-candy goodness and 50% sweet apple. I love the balance here because some apple blends can be all apple, all the time apple and this one is not. It's absolutely spot-on perfect and so evocative too. It is beautifully made, as always, and gourmand without being overpowering.

It is actually rather elegant, in my opinion, and the most grown-up of all of Beth's candied apple blends.

And now I need a toffee apple!

Yet another apple scent that goes unpleasantly sharp on me. I wish I was getting the sweet juicy candy-ness everyone else is raving about, but nope. I think either my nose or my skin is messed up when it comes to apple scents. :(

Oh well, all the weenies can't be winners.

The old Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple had been one of my favorites, so I had to give this one a try (decant). Rich, fruity red apple when wet, dries to a candy apple scent, but not as sweet as Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple. It's more...dry? Subtle? I do like it (apple scents are fantastic on me) but I think I'll stick with the decant.

When I first got the bottle nine days ago, I thought that in the bottle it smelled like a nice BPAL version of Bath & Body Works' Country Apple minus the chemical, plastic feel. I put it on and not much changed, although on my left hand I got a green note almost as if I could smell the stem. At the time, it was like a red apple with only the thinnest veil of candy coating.

Now I'm getting more of a fruit punch smell when it's wet on my skin, and as it dries it turns greener, more specifically apple and not just sugary fruit. Again, I can even smell the stem. Minutes pass and I get almost a caramelized note coating the faintly green apple. (Yeah, it's funny how this can go from red apple to green apple. My hormones are in flux, so I expect this could be different yet again in another nine days.) For a few minutes on the dry-down it reminds me of an apple scent that I associate with some kind of home fragrance my mother-in-law uses. Then it goes more autumnal and I can even detect more caramel at times, but then it fluidly dances back into red candy apple territory. Where I grew up, we called them red candy apples to differentiate them from caramel apples. This is kind of like a tray of both kinds, but none of them are dipped into the nuts. It's just nut-free candy and caramel apples, and then all the caramel is gone.

I haven't actually eaten a red candy apple since I was a kid, but during a certain stage of the dry-down it's easy to picture getting my first one at the circus in the old Charlotte Coliseum, way back in the '70s. The thing is, this isn't how a red candy apple tastes but how it smells, which is why it's not quite as sweet as I expected it to be.

It's an interesting and pleasant scent without a huge amount of throw. As cherrycherry said, this turns out to be a grown-up and gourmand candied apple.

I remember earlier candy apple-type scents having an almost acetone undertone, but this one smells much more true to form. A sweet, lovely apple with just a bit more depth, and not chemical at all.

I get the acetone thing that is mentioned above. In the decant it's sweet sugary sticky apple but on the skin oh goodness does it turn into sugary apple shampoo immediately and it stay that way for quite some time before that eventually fades and I am left with the faintest hint of red apple with no sugar.

Regardless of the shampoo thing I still think it smells nice but I won't be needing another bottle.

Origin: decant circle

Initial Thoughts: I like my Halloween apples covered in red sticky glaze. I know the Lab can do some amazing candy/sugar scents. Let's see what happens.

In the Vial: In-your-face sweet apple. The sweet reminds me of strawberry candy. And now I want some Lifesavers.

Wet: Not quite as strawberry, but still very much candied fruit. I'm getting much more candied than apple right now.

Drydown: Things balance out to a sugary apple with an incredibly lovely almost citrusy undertone. Surprisingly mellow.

Verdict: I like it very much. Whether I get a bottle will depend on things like available funds.

Candied Apple is sweet red apple on me, just like its namesake, or like a sweet cup of apple cider. It's really amazing how well this captures a red apple with a red candied coating. Fun and wearable on it's own, or would blend well with something spicy (like Pumpkin Spice Everything) or chocolatey (like Bliss).

Sweet red apple, with the red apple candy coating. It's very Yankee Candle-esque on me though, making me think of the Macintosh Apple.

So, this would be an awesome atmosphere spray. YES.

There's something very nailpolish remover and cheap hairspray about this scent. It's very strange, sharp and chemical. Underneath the sharpness, there's a perfumey, sugary, sickly-sweet, almost berry-ish somehing. I don't think that I'd ever smell this and think apple or candy apple, though. It's like a sugary berry scented hairspray, maybe.

I was hoping that this would be more like Sugar-Slathered Candied Apple, Candy Corn Coated Candy Apple, or Creepy. It's not nearly sweet enough for me, though, and the perfumey/sharp/chemical overtones give me a headache.

I wasn't understanding anything while reading the reviews. Is it the same scent? Then I got to the last one. Unfortunately, I feel the same about this scent. To me it sadly smells a bit sharp and artificial. Hopefully I can pass it along to someone who it will work better for.

It was my goal to get all the apple scent from the 2015 weenies and this and Apple Cider were the last 2 for me to get :)

Anyway on to the testing and review ...in the bottle it's a very sweet and floral apple ...on me it's very sickly sweet but with juicy apple mixing in beautifully ..... mmmm it's just gorgeous!

The dry down is lovely, with the candy sweetness fading into the background and a soft floral and apple scent being the most prominent.

Very sweet, fruity and clean.

Reviewing an aged decant:

Synthetic apple. Like a tart apple but I feel like it's more red. It does remind me of candy apples. It's not too sweet but it's not too apple-like either. It becomes a bit more perfumey at the end. Good throw and wear.