Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Appalachian black apple with sweet tobacco and patchouli, orange blossom, vanilla champaca, lavender, and white honey.

I couldn't stand to wait for this bottle to settle from shipping, so I gave it a test last night and I'm wearing it again now.

The apple and tobacco are the stars of this show, and lavender and vanilla champaca are kind of peeking out from behind them, looking for some of the spotlight.

Last night it was a little more stereotypically "masculine" than I expected, probably thanks to the tobacco, patchouli, and maybe the lavender, but it didn't put me off because I dig some masculine scents now and then. Now that it's settled overnight, it's smelling more mellow and unisex. I can detect more of the lavender today, but it's still mostly apple and tobacco. I don't notice any orange blossom or white honey for now.

My 2011 bottle of Samhain is an apple pie wafting from the back of a flatbed truck on a hayride on the outskirts of a forest. Apple III is the walk to the truck on that brisk October afternoon to get to the hayride.

This does remind me of the Appalachian mountains in early autumn, as I hoped it would do. I think it's a little more of a daytime scent that would be okay for work because it's not heady. It's almost a skin scent. People who are afraid of the patch shouldn't be concerned, I think.

This is so lovely!!! :wub3:

Apple and tobacco are the predominant notes- the apple is juicy and sweet and the tobacco is warm caramel goodness. :bunnyluv: After a little bit the orange blossom comes out and it basically smells like Eastern Comma with apples. There is a hint of lavender at this stage, too. Then the vanilla champaca emerges and the champaca isn't letting my skin chem turn the vanilla into plastic so I'm very pleased! I think I can detect honey waaaaaaay in the distance, but I'm not getting patch at all.

At full dry, the apple and orange blossom fade somewhat and the tobacco and vanilla champaca are the strongest notes. I love it, it smells so good! If you love tobacco as much as I do you'll probably love this. :D

Finally after another ten minutes or so I can start to smell patchouli. It isn't too strong, just adds a grounding sort of element to the blend overall.

I'd categorize this as unisex, and I think this would be a great blend to wear year-round.

I think I might need a backup bottle, I can't stop huffing my wrist. :heart:

Apple, lavender, tobacco and orange blossom. WTH. There are so many notes and its kinda discordant and its like a smoky lavender apple blend? I just don't know what to do with this. I feel like my skin really amps up the tobacco, but neither the apple, lavender, or orange do much to mitigate/soften it, and it just ends up smelling like some weird floral tobacco.

PASS.

At first this is really sweet and wsll blended. There's a lot of depth as well as a floral edge. The throw is sweet apple cider and honey. Unfortunately on my skin the components smell medicinal and the chemical, jumbled scent gets stronger while the tobacco and honey go out of control amping sweetness until the whole thing turns into obnoxiously sweet rotting apples. This was my favorite scent in the imp too.

wow! very apple. very crisp sweet apple

champaca and tobacco strong, but not as strong as the apple note

it's also very "white" and floral - too clean and fresh for me

*edit

though it didn't work for me, I left it on. After several minutes (less than 30 I think?), the apple dies down, the tobacco and champaca, vanilla, and honey come out more. also starts to cloy, so still not for me.

Edited by Roogna

Wet: sweet, crisp apple with a tiny, dark something hiding in the back. Perhaps a bit of the patchouli mixed with tobacco. Maybe a bit of the herbalness from the lavender.

Drydown: apple calms down significantly, tobacco becomes more apparent, and seems to be sweetened by the orange blossom and vanilla champaca. Tobacco slowly tapers off.

Dry: Where did it go? My skin ate it up! Usually I amp honey, but I have been known to have orange and some apple smells go missing on me. Too bad because the initial application smells pretty awesome.

Edit: this has had time to age. Apple disappears pretty quickly, I get a dark tobacco and champaca. It's ever so slightly sweet, like a overly ripe apple warmed in some dark leather.

Edited by Carrie

In the bottle: Deep, juicy, earthy apple.

Wet on my skin: This actually starts out patchouli-tobacco dominant on me, with a bit of apple peel (specifically the peel) and vanilla.

Dry: I took a chance on this, because apple often just doesn't quite work on my skin. I am SO GLAD I took that chance. To quote myself, "patchapplebacco with PURE SEXY ON TOP." This is dark, almost-smoky apple tobacco, like there's apple peel mixed in with fresh tobacco leaves. The patchouli gives it a gorgeous earthy texture, and then the lavender, vanilla champaca, orange blossom, and honey are supporting players (in that order) to give it a faintly creamy, slightly-sweet floral throw. On my skin, which LOVES patchouli and tobacco, this is much darker than it is sweet, and if an apple blend could be called masculine, this is it. Absolutely gorgeous. This may end up being one of my favourite BPAL scents, if it's already this good on the first day out of the mailbox. /drowns self in Apple III

Wet, this is a little harsh - apple/pachouli is just dirty. :P As it dries the honey and lavender come out, but it's still a weird, dirty mix that's not working for me. I can't pick out the other notes at all.

In the bottle all I smell is dark, dirty smokey lavender!

On my skin it's earthy, smokey apple, with hints of soft lavender. Very sexy!

I was most excited to try this one from my recent order. I let it settle from the mail for a few hours so I could get an accurate first impression. This is so beautiful. Everything I ever wanted from an apple scent. This is a complex beautiful scent, and the apple doesn't stomp on everything else. It's so nicely blended together I can't really pick any one note out other than the apple, but even that is clearly enveloped by other lovely notes rather than standing out on it's own. It has a rich feeling. I'm so glad this works on my skin the way I had hoped it would. What stands out to most to be is the tobacco giving a caramelized touch, and the honey on top of the apple that up front is a little floraly possibly from the lavender though I don't smell any outright sadly, but juicy and sweet like honey crisps. I also don't detect any patchouli outright, or champaca

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a ton of lasting power, it fades within a short few hours and reapplication would be needed for a full day of wear, but perhaps a little aging will improve that.

Apple III smells very jumbled and strange on me. Soapy apple shampoo, a sour patchouli that turns into body odor territory for me, and really medicinal, bitter lavender and honey. The drydown shifts more and more into sickly-sweet apple, sweet tobacco, and sour orange blossom with sour patchouli. Not for me.

Crisp apple and chewy tobacco. This leans pretty masculine on me, with a dirty/medicinal undertone from the patchouli.

I tend to amp tobacco and I'm getting a lot of that here. This is a dark, smoky apple, not very sweet.

In the decant: Tobacco and apple, mostly. I can also smell the patchouli and champaca, and then the orange blossom towards the end.

Wet: Apple, tobacco, and champaca. Then the orange blossom note emerges, and a bit of the lavender. It's like a smoky, herbal apple scent. I'm still getting more tobacco and apple than anything else, though.

As the scent dries down, it's becoming more herbal over time.

Dry: Tobacco is still a main player, but the patchouli has made its presence known now. The scent is sweeter now, so I can smell a bit of the honey, but it is difficult for me to pick out individual notes at this point aside from the tobacco and patchouli. It remains a smoky, herbal apple scent, with the herbal aspect being more prominent during this stage.

Verdict: The combination of tobacco, champaca, and honey remind me a bit of Orgy With Nine Women, except that scent contains less notes, and I enjoy it more. This apple is okay, but I own a lot of apple scents already (and I own a lot of tobacco scents), and this one didn't wow me, so no bottle will be needed.

I normally pass on anything apple because my skin eats it alive and I'm left with nothing. This actually has some staying power. Seems the only apple that works for me is black appalachian.

This blend is sweet, creamy, floral, well rounded, earthy, not too much patchouli. Win!

Well, this may age into the dark apple thing that I thought it would be, but for now it's a beautiful high pitched appley thing, delicious and fresh. I want more of the patchouli/champaca thing which is mostly in the background for now. Unlike the above poster this one absolutely poufs on me, but it's AMAZING in a scent locket. It's absolutely mouth watering. The other day I went out to walk my dogs bundled in coat, scarves etc., and thought, wow what is that amazing scent? Is it on my scarf? The neighbors looking out the windows may have thought, oh there goes that nut again, she's always sniffing herself...

but I could not locate it on my clothes and then ding, it hit me, it's my scent locket with Apple III that is buried about four layers deep! I love this one. And to think apple used to be one of my "death notes". Thank you Beth for basically eliminating the need to ever type the words "death note " again :biggrin:

Edited by stellamaris

I regret not getting a bottle of Apple III when I got my decant last year. I hesitated, the opportunity slipped away, and now I'm left with a partial decant that has aged into something really nice.

The tobacco & vanilla champaca are blended into a warm base for the apple. The apple is a little tarter than the apple in Samhain, but still sweet. Apple starts in front, but slowly fades to be about equal to the tobacco & vanilla champaca. The honey, lavender & patch are very subtle; I can't pick them out.

Edited to add: I got a bottle! Yay forum!

Edited again to add: I can't be 100% sure, but it may have gotten even better. The tobacco is so rich!

Edited by Teamama

In bottle: A softer, older apple, supported by tobacco, in a setting of well blended florals.  Wet: More floral on the skin, with the apple and flowers blending perfectly together.  The tobacco adds a touch of earthiness.  Dry: Fastfading to vaguely floral tobacco.

I'm sniffing so many tobacco scents the last 17 hours that either my brain is confusing them for the same thing every time, or i'm still having that cold from a month ago. That said, I get no apple, a hint of sweetness and mostly, tobacco.