Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
gentle-twig

Dead Leaves and Tobacco

In bottle: Rich tobacco and aftershave-like green notes

Wet on skin: Same as in bottle. There is a bitter note that is coloring the tobacco, making it deep and rich. There is also a cool note that is interesting against the warm tobacco

Dry on skin: Not much change, the cool note has subsided a bit, leaving the beautiful tobacco note against a bed of vegetal notes (doesn't quite read as dead leaves to me, yet). The vegetal notes do eventually fade into a paper thin evocation of the crunch of dead leaves against the beautiful tobacco note. The tobacco note itself is my favorite I have ever smelled from BPAL. It's not wildly different from anything else I've smelled, but it has a lot of depth.

Later: I would encourage any tobacco lovers to try this blend even if they have trouble with the lab's dead leaf accord. I've never tried a leaf scent before, and I can't say I was wild about the green opening, but this ends up being a gorgeous, cozy tobacco note with just a bit of brittle leafiness in the background to keep things interesting. Think about smoking a pipe with a window open on a crisp fall day with a steaming cup of herbal tea in the far corner of the room.

I'm testing this at the same time as my other Weenies (La Ronde du Sabbat and SN Bonfire) and this is definitely the comfiest. I think I prefer La Ronde du Sabbat, but it is a bit ostentatious. I'll definitely be getting more wear out of this. This really captures the spirit of fall in an unpretentious but utterly charming way.

ETA:

After settling for a week, the vegetal notes definitely do read as leaves. Although this blend still starts off green, it dries down to a delightfully wearable dead leaves scent. Think dry, crunchy, brown leaves on the sidewalk. The tobacco suggests the color of dry sycamore leaves to me, creating a more evocative experience than even a straight dry leaf accord may have been.

Edited by gentle-twig

This is quite a bit greener than I expected, at least while wet, but it is definitely true to the name. This is fresh, light tobacco, and leaves that are only just turning. There's a sweetness, almost honey-like that comes through as it dries.

Dead leaves, dirty tobacco, and a bit of spicy sweetness. Dry, the sweetness comes out more and it just feels like drinking a warm mug of tea on a cold day, smelling the leaves turning. Sigh... :)

So much yes. This is the single note tobacco accord with all its sweet chewy caramely goodness married to a leaf pile and it's glorious. Along the same sweet leaf vein as World Where There are Octobers but with less danger of pancake syrup. Also, much easier to justify wearing than that TINY AMOUNT OF SINGLE NOTE TOBACCO I HAVE LEFT OH NOOOOOOS. I picked up a partial, and I'm certain I will be unable to resist buying another bottle it's just so very good.

Easily my favorite weenie.

Tzi

ah, sweet swooony bpal tobacco with beth's autumn leaves. there's something sweet and crunchy in the drydown.

I'm loving the dead leaves scents and this is tied as one of my top two.

My top two favorite bpal notes are tobacco and dead leaves. Buying a bottle of this was an absolute no-brainer!

First applied it literally smells like SN French Tobacco and A World Where There Are Octobers smushed together. The leaves are mostly red, not quite crunchy to my nose, and the tobacco is much sweeter than I'm used to, which might be because it isn't aged like my SN FT bottles. I don't mind, though! On drydown the tobacco overpowers the leaves but the leaves are still there, keeping the sweetness of the tobacco in check. Dry it's much of the same: sweet, caramel tobacco goodness with fallen red leaves littering the background. Absolutely beautiful. :wub3:

If you're like me and obsessed with Beth's tobacco note you have to try this, it's perfect. :heart:

Rich, chewy caramel tobacco and a pile of leaves. Its actually fairly masculine on me. Good throw, decent wearlength.

Dark, tobacco, leaves.

This is the same dl note that's in Sonnet d'Automne. It's very sharp at first, and seems almost to be a single note. I had originally set this aside for my husband; while I like the dl note, I can get it in a softer form from SdA, but the tobacco finally came out after about an hour and quieted things down nicely. I'm keeping it for now, but it still might go to him at some point, like...

Initially this smells like a huge slap of sharp, green leaves and I was really disappointed. The drydown, however, smells exactly like bpal's French Tobacco single note with just a hint of green leaf. It's like sweet chewing tobacco, peppery spice, a hint of bonfire smoke, and a mix of dead and green leaves.

This was my year of going for everything hat had dry leaves or tobacco in it, so this was an obvious choice.

Beth's dry leaves note is growing on me. There is something about it that strikes me as autumn floral with a touch of aquatic more than a dead ringer for crunchy leaves on the ground with a hint of chill air, but it gives me a feeling that's close to that anyway. And then it dries down into someone sort of powdery and soft and cosy, like a sweater. Mixed with the crazy-awesome tobacco note, this is a real winner for me. It's a softer alternative to my beloved French Tobacco.

Oh wow. As others have noted, this is more like a mix of dead and green leaves, which threw me off quite a bit at first. I was not expecting something so fresh. Over time, though it turns drier and 'browner', and then the tobacco starts to come out and -- oh holy hell, it's sexy. Like sweet, rich pipe tobacco, a bare hint of caramel, with the dry leaves now very contentedly in the background. There is like -no- throw to it, which is disappointing, because I could basically just live in a cloud of this all day very happily, if I had to. Dabbed behind an ear or somewhere else you want a special someone nuzzling, though, and I can see the, um, possibilities. So nice.

Dead leaves and the lab's french tobacco note. As time goes on, it becomes sweeter with a distinct caramel vibe. It is not one of my favourite notes, caramel, but it's not that strong here. I'm really not fond of this one, it seems very simple and one dimensional. Some simple blends are elegant, but this a fail. I'm not fond of the tobacco note alone, and this is pretty close to SN French Tobacco. Why is there no Pipe Tobacco SN.;0

Of all the Halloween line, this one had to come home with me.

At first sniff, it's all sappy freshly fallen leaves. Like raking up a leaf pile. They aren't fresh off the tree, but they aren't crunchy and dissipated yet either.

On my skin, the tobacco really blooms. It retains that faint sappy quality, but it really takes over the blend. This is deep, rich and chewy and really wonderful when the faint soapy feeling keeps in check.

As it dries, it feels a little soapy on me, which is very disappointing. There is just something a little artificial feeling about this that I'm not sure about. There is a green feeling about it that I'm sure is from the leaves that isn't quite working. The feeling comes and goes, and I expect a little time will even this out. There's a lot of promise that this will age into a really lovely tobacco perfume, but it's not quite wowing me yet.

First impressions sniffing out of the bottle- this smells like something I used to wear when I was young, it's fresh, lemony, got an aftershavy kind of vibe to it, then it hits me! CK one, this smells almost identical to my memory of what Ck one smells like. 

Wet on skin: Still just smelling CK one, not what I was expecting at all from this.

Dry down: after about 20 mins there's some pepper and tobacco coming through in the background.

Really not sure about this, was hoping for something more accurate to dead leaves and tobacco, something autumnal, rich and deep. Maybe I'm missing something, Will keep trying it...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Wet, it's the green peppery cologne smell of dead leaves mostly. As it dries, the tobacco comes out more and sweetens the blend. I really like the tobacco note and I think it pairs well with dead leaves.

First sniff like all BPAL leaf scents for me it’s just pure leafy goodness. It stays that way for quite a while but then a slight aquatic (?) aftershave type smell comes through. Very pleasant