Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sprout

Pumpkin Lager

A peculiar point of contention: you either love it or hate it, and however you feel, it's passionate.

My source for testing was a decant. I expected this to be too boozy but I had to try it because I love pumpkin.

This is pumpkin with slightly yeasty beer. It is what you would expect and doesn't morph. Yeasty notes are similar to the beer notes in Feeding the Dead but no cake or incense, just pumpkin flesh to pair with the beer. No butter or spices.

I actually quite like this as it's a true to life pumpkin, raw gourd. The beer or yeasty bit reminds me somewhat of Dana OShee.

Straight up pumpkin beer, yeasty, and only a bit sweet with pumpkin meat. A surprise hit.

This one was an unfortunate dud for me. I was hoping for a boozy, beery pumpkin, but on my skin all I'm getting is a nuclear blast of cinnamon. For about the first 5 minutes I get a nice whiff of fresh, pulpy pumpkin, but cinnamon quickly overpowers everything else. I'm bummed it's not working out with my skin chemistry. Sadly, into the swap pile with this one.

Pumpkin Lager reminds me in vibe to Feeding the Dead. I get a slightly boozy pumpkin, a ton of spice, some yeast, and it's spicy with cinnamon.

I'm actually surprised at how wearable and how much I like it. Still too foodie for me, but I like this better than say the Pumpkin Cheesecake Cupcakes. More pumpkin, more spice than PCC on my skin. Good throw, good wear length.

Received a decant, and tried it on both myself and DH.

Wet: buttered popcorn, like, whoa!

Drydown: buttered popcorn with cinnamon

Dry: If I think reallllly hard about a yeasty beer, then perhaps you describe this as that. I drink a lot of beer, especially pumpkin beer, and that is not the notes I'm picking up from this. It kinda has an artificialness, like you dropped in pumpkin candle into it. It's not bad, but I think I'm not amping the right mixture from this.

This was a Weenies afterthought for me, but I'm glad I got a bottle! :D

Wet, to me it's very, very close to Frosted Pumpkin Spice Cookie, that same sugared, doughy, cookie-like pumpkin note, then it rapidly becomes more heavily spiced, and a little bit of beery hoppiness comes out. Further into the drydown it does become more lager-y, there's that wonderful bittersweet beery fuzziness that makes me think of eating my dad's beer froth with one finger as a kid :) ...but all the way through the doughy cookie-pumpkin remains, and I really like it. It is definitely quite similar to Pumpkin Spice Cookie, but less sweet, and the subtle edge of lager keeps it different enough that I'll definitely be keeping both scents. Somehow this makes me think of Christmas more than Halloween, the combination of beer and spice, smells like Christmas Day!

Mmmm, yep, I like this very much, the longer it's on the more beer comes out, so I suspect with ageing it'll get better and better. No regrets on going for this weird sounding Weenie! :D

This is a pretty nutty, 'brown' blend -- it makes me think of brown musk. It ends up drying to a faint and sweet aroma. It's not unpleasant, but it really doesn't also say 'beer' to me, either.

Ok let's get this out of the way, I'm the latter. Nutty, buttery, yeast. Nopenopenope.

I was afraid of the beer, but this is an explosion of cinnamon on my skin, and not much else. Starts off very dry, but has more of a buttery, creamy edge to it in the drydown. But mostly all cinnamon all the time.