Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The scent of hot chocolate with marshmallows after a long day of puddle-hopping.

I am amending my original review, which I have placed under a spoiler just in case someone is like, "Who said there was dirt in this?!" :P

In the bottle: This isn't your ordinary hot chocolate. The chocolate note is stronger and not as creamy as the one found in The Other Hot Chocolate. I do get the marshmallows sitting on top of the hot chocolate, along with what I believe to be a smattering of dirt.

Wet: Yep, there is definitely dirt in this! I was actually hoping that there would be, since I wanted this to be different than The Other Hot Chocolate.

There are a few specks of something in the oil. I noticed them when I applied this to a few spots on my arm. Are there actual flecks of dirt in this, Puddin'!? (They are too small to be the chocolate I see floating around in scents like Delight and Consternation and Chocolate Stout Cupcake, but if you hold the bottle up to the light and look really carefully, you can see them.)

Chocolate and dirt reign at first, but then the marshmallow note announces its presence and begins to sweeten the scent. Once the marshmallow begins to gain prominence, the dirt note becomes less noticeable, so if dirt is not your jam, don't worry – it isn't as strong as it is in scents like Deep in Earth and Zombi.

As the scent begins its drydown, the dirt becomes less 'dirt' and more like residual mud from jumping in a puddle, but it doesn't get to be super puddle-y thanks to the prominence of the marshmallow note, which is AMAZEBALLS.

Dry: The marshmallow note is the dominant note now, followed by the hot chocolate. There is only the memory of mud puddles now.

Verdict: I bought this for sentimental value, as I really enjoyed stomping in mud puddles and running under buildings while it was raining as a kid. Chocolate, marshmallow, and dirt are all notes that I enjoy, so I will definitely be keeping my bottle.

If you are afraid of dirt, this is definitely more gourmand than dirt. I applied this in several places, and the earthiness is definitely more prominent in the spots with more specks, but the dry phase is mostly just marshmallow and hot chocolate.

This has changed a lot as it has settled over the last few weeks. I tested it right out of the mailbox, and I had sprayed Black Clove, Tobacco Flower, and Grave Soil HG in my hair and used Deep in Earth in the crooks of my elbows before this arrived, so I must have gotten one of those on my nose before testing this, which would explain why I smelled dirt. :P

When this arrived, the hot chocolate note was rather Bliss-like, but now, after a few weeks, it really smells like smooth cocoa powder. The marshmallow note is also softer than it was upon arrival, but it still emerges more during the later stages of the scent. It's a lovely scent, and it is still different enough from The Other Hot Chocolate to warrant having both scents.

Since there isn't actually any dirt in this, I am going to try layering this with Graveyard Dirt SN to see if I actually want to wear a dirt and hot chocolate scent. :P

Edited by dementia_divine

In The Bottle: BROWNIES!

Wet On Skin: The deliciousness of chocolate that is Bliss, combined with sugary, vanilla-y marshmallows.

Dry Down: This is really just...perfect. The chocolate and marshmallow just come together to make me feel like I've come in from some terrible damp weather and am now warming up with a big, steamy cup of sweet chocolatey goodness. At the very end, there's a touch of something sweet and resin-y, like a low, rich amber. But it's so transitory, that even when sniffing repeatedly, it only comes for milliseconds at a time. But it's beautiful.

In All: As with the others from the Fatherhood '15 series that I've tested, this scent has a low throw, but lots of depth. I think it's my favorite of the bunch, though, having said that, I think that this can be layered with others of the series to possible great effect, especially with the Saturday Morning vibe of Tranquility.

LOVE! :wub2:

Have you ever huffed a packet of Swiss Miss Cocoa? Well, I have, I guess I am weird like that, and this oil is a dead ringer! It even smells a slight bit powdery, like the cocoa mix but not like baby powder. I dabbed just a little on the indentation above my collarbone and the crook of my elbow, and the throw was good. I got very little morphing, it stays pretty true to the Swiss Miss cocoa scent for a few hours. I am at the 5 hour mark now, give or take, and it is now just pure vanilla.

I never smelled the dirt note. This is a decant, and I am not sure but I am betting my decanter mixed well before pouring, but I did not get any dirt notes (no sludge or chocolate bits floating in my decant like in the Sprinklecake or the other chocolate accord BPALz). As far as I know, my skin neither amps nor absorbs dirt notes excessively, and I am only slightly disappointed that I did not get any dirt notes, because I have plenty I can layer and this is just the loveliest smell, it takes me back to being a kid and having a nice cup of cocoa on a cold day.

Pure Swiss Miss people. Uncut, straight up, and no chaser. Oh yeah, no question I will upgrade to a bottle.

Edited by sprout

Ok, while I've loved everything in the Lil's so far this year, unfortunately this one did not make the cut for me.

Opening my imp I smell chocolate...and chemicals. It kind of makes my nose burn just sniffing it. Beyond that I can kind of smell a little earthiness beneath the chocolate which would make one think of a muddy puddle. Perhaps it's just my nose! Sadly this isn't a keeper.

Edited by macabre_fae

Hot chocolate cocoa powder and a touch of marshmallow. No rain puddles.

This smells rich, foodie, and like hot cocoa powder. In some ways, it reminds me to Bliss, which was a straight up sort of watery chocolate. The chocolate note is much denser in Muddy Puddles but retains some of the powderiness that is associated with cocoa mixes.

Too sweet for me, but chocolate lovers out there, take note.

In bottle: Yep, that does smell like The Other Hot Chocolate.

On skin: Very creamy, marshmallow topped hot cocoa! If I remember, TOHC on me was sharper.... more powdery cocoa. This is tame and light. Think the marshmallows "mellow" it out. Not that usual baking cocoa I usually get with chocolate notes. Very nice!

Dry down: This is so yummy and cozy. Very creamy and soft hot cocoa! Glad it is more of a true milk chocolate than the powder cocoa. Up above, someone mentioned that there were "flakes" in the oil... I don't have that. Clean and clear.

Medium throw on me, and I love this!! If you are one where choco notes go "baking cocoa" on you, try this!! This is perfect warm, milk chocolate! Straight up, with mini marshmallows! No puddles detected on me.

This is straight up, honest to goodness hot chocolate. It does smell like the powdered Swiss Miss kind of hot chocolate to me which isn't to say it's bad! This is sitting at the kitchen table with your hands wrapped around a warm mug of hot chocolate dotted with tiny white marshmallows.

This is very smooth, warm, and cozy. Everything a hot chocolate should be!

No dirt here, folks.

Incredibly realistic, powdery Swiss Miss, with the teeny tiny Marshmallows included. I'm not a huge fan of chocolatey perfumes, but I am certainly buying a bottle of this. It is gentle and highly wearable!

in the imp: hot chocolate powder – like the scent of a Swiss Miss packet; drier and less sweet than expected, the teeeeeniest bit of dirt in the background

wet: hot chocolate powder, a touch of marshmallow and a hint of cold rain – incredibly evocative of Ted's description

dry: smells like a cup of Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix, a bit thin because it was made with hot water rather than milk. The marshmallows have floated to the top and there are swirls of spilled chocolate powder all over the counter. Huge throw. Foodie but not at all gourmand. This is… nice, but doesn't quite do it for me.

muddy puddle to me smells exactly like the perfect cocoa mix. the kind that comes in individual serving pouches. a hint of marshmallowiness, a little trace of artifice that pre-made prepackaged foods carry, but in a delicious cozy nostalgic way. not a creepy chemical way.

I find this to be a gloriously comforting scent. I've worn it bumming around the house reading my comics or watching cartoons, and it's an absolutely perfect scent for such things. much like a mug of cocoa around me, this one doesn't last too long, but slathering is rewarding here.

I don't get much dirt or salt with this. and for skin chemistry reference, bliss works well on me, but the other hot chocolate did weird things on my chemistry. muddy puddles is a total choco-win.

thanks, Puddin!

I had decided I didn't need this, as I have quite a few chocolate scents already.

However, I ended up scoring a partial bottle of this, and I am so glad I did!

This is great. Very different than my other chocolate scents. I don't get any marshmallow from this, but I'm ok with that. What I do get is a very dry hot chocolate scent. Almost like the hot chocolate powder before you actually make it into hot chocolate. It's not overly powdery, just dry, in a way that I really love. Great lasting power and throw. I love it! My partial will be enough for me, just because I do have so many other chocolate scents, but I am very glad to have this in my collection.

I am so in love with this scent! As others have said, it is very realistic to Swiss Miss hot chocolate and straight up marshmallows. It's delicious!

In bottle: Swiss Miss hot chocolate!

Wet on skin: Hot chocolate and marshmallows

Dry down: the mud comes out! It's hot chocolate, marshmallows and mud. It might sound strange but it totally works!

Complete dry down: Marshmallow becomes the strongest note with the mud having disappeared and the chocolate fading.

It's delicious.

So good!

In the bottle it's pure decadent chocolatey goodness - like El Dia de los Reyes without the coffee/dusty notes.

On the skin, marshmallowy sweetness quickly comes out and balances some of the chocolate. This is SO good.

As the scent dries, the chocolate scent becomes a tad dryer, but the marshmallow stays strong so this never turns dusty at all. Overall, it lasts a few hours. The scent is quite strong for an hour or so.

This is a total winner, I'm glad I have it!

In bottle: Cocoa powder sweetened by marshmallow. The chocolate reminds me rather of Sue's Great Old Puppet Show. Wet: strongly cocoa dominant, but the marshmalow comes out a littl more on the skin. There's also a touch of something herbal that may have tracked in from the puddles. This is a perfectly nice cocoa scent, but I would have liked more marshmallow personally, though time and warmth soon rectify that. Dry: Chocolate and marshmallow.

Yum! Muddy Puddles does smell like hot cocoa with marshmallows! It's dead on, and so much fun to wear. Definitely a comforting scent, and one that will be perfect for snuggly winter Sundays. I'm so glad I impulse-added this to my last order!

I decided to save this one for a day when it had rained and I was in the mood for hot chocolate. Last week, I took my greyhound out for a walk and as we went about our usual adventures together, the skies opened and it poured it down with rain. When we got home, I made cocoa and I crammed my mug with vegan marshmallows. Yummy, much? Uh, YES. Perfect way to warm up from a cold autumn day too.

Muddy Puddles smells of what I've just described though it has to be said that the main notes are the chocolate and the marshmallow. I only get the tiniest hint of an aquatic note and no mud at all. It is a lot like the GC blend Bliss but with oodles of marshmallowy goodness too. If you are a fan of Beth or Ted's chocolate blends, then I implore you not to miss out on this. It's truly gorgeous. The sentiment behind it is beautiful and the execution of this blend is absolutely perfect.

This is wonderful. 10/10.

Muddy Puddles is a dead ringer for Swiss Miss hot cocoa in the packet with the tiny dried marshmallow bits! It even starts out powdery, before morphing into a rich, deep chocolate with lovely accents of cream and marshmallow. I love it. My kids are both asking me if I made hot cocoa. It is that realistic. Oh, but no rain puddles to be found!

Hot chocolate and marshmallow is exactly what this scent is. I was sort of hoping for some actual muddy puddles to mitigate the chocolate, but I smell none. The cocoa is unfortunately overwhelming to my nose, so I'll be passing this one along.

This is not as rich chocolatey as some of the lab's other chocolate scents -- it's more diluted and powdery, like watery instant cocoa. Just have other reviewers have mentioned, it smells exactly like a packet of Swiss Miss with mini marshmallows.

This is pleasantly light and subtle, it's a nice change from some of the more heavy, decadent chocolate oils I own.

Muddy Puddles turns so plasticy on my skin. It's like chocolate brownies fragrance oil that turns to powdered chocolate mix in the drydown, and an overwhelming melting plastic scent. I was sad that there wasn't any dirt/mud tone to this one either, as I enjoy earthy chocolate blends.

I feel really weird about writing a review that is ultimately a finger pointing up and "what they said!" but sometimes that's all there is to be done. XD

Yep, powdered hot chocolate mix with dehydrated marshmallows. That is exactly what this smells like on me. Soft, sweet, minimal throw, but the dregs of it linger on my wrist for some time. Very slight plastic, but not nearly as bad as Bliss was on me. I'm inclined to chalk that up to the difference between the 'milk chocolate' and 'cocoa' notes, though the initial waft is somewhat similar.

Got a 5 ml from Etsy recently, but I've had a decant since last year. :)

This is dry cocoa powder on me when straight out of the imp.

It is super rich and only moderately sweet.

There is no marshmallow I can detect, but there is an earthiness to the chocolate that could come from the muddle puddles perhaps, hence the blend's name?

During drydown, it becomes much sweeter, and I swear I can smell some rich dark honey (maybe a pine honey of sorts?) that's warming up the cocoa powder to give it a more resinous and complex feel.

This is neither artificial nor plastic on me.

It's a really nice blend that I wouldn't mind wearing on a rainy day (if I had more than a tester to work with).