Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teaotter

Meus Amor Aeternus

Meus Amor Aeternus

When our tarantula, Pinky, died, Lilith buried her. She cradled Pinky’s little body and placed her in a special box. She dug the grave with her own hands. She composed a memorial for Pinky, and spoke at her funeral. She laid a heart-shaped stone that she had found at the beach on her grave, and many months later, she still does what she can to tend Pinky’s grave.

She has a reverence and respect for both life and death that is as beautiful to me as it is uncanny. Just recently, Lilith asked Ted and I to compose eulogies for our Soccer Mom Car, which was recently totaled, so we could share our memories of the car and let the car know how much she meant to us, thanking our poor, unfortunate SUV for keeping us safe for so many years.

I love and treasure many things about my daughter, but to me, her big heart is her most beautiful aspect. She seems to love everyone and everything, she forgives all, and she truly values other people’s feelings. Lilith, you are a good person. You are a better person than I, I suspect, and it is an honor to be your mother.

A cotton candy-suffused blend of Snake Oil and Dorian, touched by earthy green moss and raiz de moras, hope-filled vanilla bean, sweet honey, and joyous carnation.

In the bottle: mostly honey, with a faint hint of red musk and something vegetal. It reminds me a bit of Womb Furie, but the honey is softer somehow, and the red musk is definitely far in the background. It is definitely more snuggly than sexy.

Wet: This is one of the perfumes that disappears the instant it touches my skin. Nothing, nada, zero, zip. But it's cold today, so I'll give it half an hour to warm up.

30 minutes later: It came back! It's a skin-scent with low throw, but it's delicious. Honey-forward, slightly tangy. The Snake Oil is something I get in the throw more than when I stick my hand to my wrist -- I'd almost think it's something left on my clothes, except my clothes didn't smell like Snake Oil when I put them on this morning!

I don't get cotton candy or moss, and I'm pretty sure the raiz de moras is blackberry root and not vetiver -- there is something in here that keeps reminding me of blackberry leaves, but nothing smoky or grassy about it.

Drydown: The vanilla comes out a bit in the later drydown, but it's just grounding the scent.

Basically, this is a light, non-sticky honey on me, with a hint of red musk and a bit of spice and greenness. The notes don't quite come together for me, but it feels like one of the perfumes that needs a month or so to fully come together.

In the bottle the main scent I get is Dorian.

Freshly applied, the red musk comes to the fore, with a green and spicy background, and the spice from the carnation keeps intensifying over the next half hour. I agree that a blackberry note peeps out but I do get a touch of smoke too - the sort where you just get a distant whiff on the wind in autumn.

It settles down to become less spicy and some honey finally appears, but that turns to beeswax on me quite soon. It kind of reminds me of a spicier Lady Una, but I think it will change once the bottle has settled down.

Wet: greenness; grass with a hint of candy.

Dry: Lots of carnation with a hint of candy, on a bed of Dorian and Snake Oil. Very like Lilith Victoria but a bit lighter and with that strong carnation note. I think this one will be beautiful in the Spring.

In the bottle: All carnation. PINK carnation.

Wet on my skin: Sweet, sweet honeyed cotton candy and carnation, with Snake Oil. Oh no, it's just too sweet at this stage! D:

Dry: This threatened to be overpoweringly sweet on me, which almost broke my heart, but it's settled down enough that I think I like it. It's very sweet and feminine, and girlish in the manner of Alice. On top, it's blue cotton candy, sweet white honey, carnation, and Snake Oil, with a hint of sugary tea (Dorian), in that order. There's just enough of the moss and roots to balance the sugary sweetness. I swear I smell garden soil when I put my nose to my skin, but the throw of this is almost all carnation-candy-honey. It's unlike anything else in my collection, as I'm not much for sweetly girly scents, but I am definitely keeping this. So pretty and sweet, and it'll be good for those times when I am in a dress and/or wanting to wear something cute and inoffensive. This will join Alice as "that" scent, I think.

I'm so grateful that this was originally listed without notes. I blind bought it, and when I learned that it contained a note of mischief that tends to work or not work on me in extremes, I didn't attempt to swap it out for another. and again I'm grateful, because this is a beautiful honey-centered perfume on me.

in the bottle, it's mostly Dorian.

however when on, its a rich and gentle honey with light touches of blackberry and soft vanilla and the barest kiss of musk. the throw and wearlength are on the low side, but have been increasing with time/age. I've been reaching for it constantly. it's a beautiful and uplifting scent.

This is so pretty in the bottle, sweet but not too sweet, a background of Dorian with a strong carnation/honey in the foreground.

On, wet - now the Snake Oil does appear, carnation/Snake Oil, with the honey still strongly there. Very pretty, and sweet without being foody.

As it dries down, that sweet honey (it's like the honey from Door, not the skanky kind from O or Womb Furie, which is SO bad on me) comes out more, and I am still getting that floral spice of the carnation, those are the most prominent notes. I think the moss and blackberry leaf are keeping it from turning *too* sweet, there is still a green freshness supporting the carnation. The honey does kind of take over, though - and now I am not getting any Snake Oil or Dorian, sadly. I at have to try layering to amp those notes more. Dry, it's honey with some carnation. I'm not sure about this one....nit might be great for summer, or the honey might just be too much (as it usually is.... Door is the only blend with honey I can wear).

Sadness. This starts off as strawberry and Dorian, with a background of Snake Oil - kind of odd, but kind of cool, too. It ends up drying down to a men's aftershave. It's like the sharper notes in both Dorian and Snake Oil, with the faintest hint of the sweeter notes. I'm hoping it will settle down to a more vanilla forward scent as it ages, though.

Honey-berry carnation cotton candy with something earthy underneath that I really can't place. Also moss. After it warms up, the snake oil and dorian come out.

This is lovely despite a slight tendency to go waxy in a generic berry lip-balm sort of way.

Edit: I can't stop smelling this. It's like Halloween in Las Vegas' little sister, with honey and berries where H:LV has red velvet cupcakes and wine and substituting rooty moss for dried leaves. It's innocent but complex. I keep thinking I smell golden amber but it must be the honey and Snake oil tricking me.

Edit Edit: sadly the blackberry has gone slightly cat pee on me. Ah well.

Edited by patina

This starts off sweet and delicate. A very faint whiff of fresh green mingling with soft wisps of vanilla float around at the top of the scent. These are backed by a gentle honey made warm by the unmistakable exotic spices of the Lab's very own Snake Oil. As it warms on the skin, the SO begins to shine through, grounding the scent a bit. Dorian is there as well. Absolutely identifiable, but faded, almost ghostly.

For all of its notes, I expected this to be stronger and more sultry. Instead it is a light scent, warm and soft like early morning sunlight.

A keeper.

Sugary, musky carnation, honey, and a touch of Dorian. This is a sweet, musky blend. There's something here that I don't entirely like, which may in fact be the Snake Oil (which I can't wear without horrific results).

Sugar, musk, carnation.

Wet: "Whoa, that smells like vetiver mixed with Lilith Victoria." It seems that I'm the only person getting that scent, so idk.

Dry: All honey all the time.

I like it, but I kind of wish that the wet scent hung around.

OK, scent comparisons ahoy! I'm getting Halloween Las Vegas with more honey and less cake. Basically sweet, slightly spiced incense. I already own HLV, so don't need any of this. I'm finding bpal scents are getting to seem like something else bpal. Lots of 'oldies but goodies'.

In the bottle I get warm Snake Oil, honey and a touch of milky tea. On my skin it's very green Snake Oil with hints of soft floral notes. A touch of vanilla rounds it up. A beautiful warm scent.

I bought a bottle of this scent because I adore Lilith Victoria, and need another bedtime blend with Snake Oil and Dorian. Need, I tell you!

I wore this last night. In the bottle, this is reminiscent of LV without the lavender. At first application, I can smell the Snake Oil, but as it dries down I get hints of the Dorian too. When dry, the sweetness comes forward from the cotton candy, followed by the slight spice of carnation. This is a gorgeous scent, but has much less throw than LV and also wears off more quickly. I didn't detect remnants of it on my wrist this morning. However, that is not a problem for me, as I plan to keep this one for bedtime use.

Although I can't help but compare this to LV, I love the fact that LV was Beth's ode to infant Lilith. This scent definitely reflects Lilith's personality as she grows up before our eyes. I love it, and the label is one of my favorite pictures of Lilith.

There's a lot going on in this blend, but it works nicely.

It starts off on the skin with a lot of greenery (the moss, I think - but I don't know what raiz de moraz is, so I can't say for sure). The Snake Oil comes out quite a bit and Dorian is definitely there too.

Once this dries, Snake Oil comes out more, and there's a lot of the sweet honey/vanilla on my skin. This is lovely, extra sweet Snake Oil with a hefty note of carnation once it dries on me.

Lovely. I'm pretty sure this is gonna age really well.

Meus Amor Aeternus is another one I've had to try a few times to get a read on, because it shifts every time I wear it. Mostly, it's like Dorian and Snake Oil and honey, with a wreath of carnation and moss. That probably sounds weird, but it works. Like Lilith Victoria, this is a blend that takes Dorian and Snake Oil and blends them up with striking and unusual notes—and like Lilith Victoria, I find it very soft and comforting and cosy. It even smells a bit outdoorsy, like fresh breath breathed into our beloved BPAL classics.

In bottle: Very sweet. Dorian dominant, but Snake Oil is strong and they turn out to play really well together. I'd call honey a close third, with vanilla and cotton candy support. The carnation is delicate, but distinct and plays well with others. Wet: much as in bottle, though the balance shifts a little more towards Dorian and Snake Oil. Also, the carnation is stronger. It's gorgeous, and remains very foodie. It's likely a bit too pink for me, but would be lovely on a woman. Dry: Fresh Snake Oil comingled with Dorian, haunted by a kiss of sweetness.

I was really hoping for a carnation Snake Oil scent and tested this several times.

First test, upon receiving the decant:

in the decant: the first straight up, "true," sticky, edible honey I've smelled from the Lab, with a touch of Dorian and something greenish behind it

wet: the edible/raw/wild aspect of the honey note is gone and we've moved straight to cloying honey, with a touch of green moss, then the spice of the carnation starts to come forward. Totally reminds me of the initial too-strong honey explosion I got with Serving Tea after Coitus. I'm starting to realize that my skin loves to amp the Lab's honey, to the point where it overpowers everything else in a blend :(

initial dry: still honey stomping over everything, with the faintest hint of vanilla and the spices from Snake Oil in the background, no Dorian or carnation at all

final drydown: disappears into the skin a bit – now I'm getting the final almost-powdery warm vanilla that Snake Oil eventually turns into on me, swirled with honey and the tiniest tang of salt

retested one day after settling – in the imp I smell more of the incense from Snake Oil, with honey in the background; wet it is a honey-tinged super-dried-down Snake Oil; I think I could probably layer Good with regular Snake Oil for the same effect? Full dry the cotton candy and honey come forward, with Snake Oil lingering in the background. MUCH nicer today and will probably get better with age – it's not screaming at me to buy a bottle, though

One week later it is spicy honey spilled over dried down Snake Oil – I can't see myself reaching for this one very often

I just love this...honey, carnation, quiet Snake Oil, a hint of Dorian. It makes me smile. As does the exquisite label.

In the decant: Mostly moss and some Snake Oil with a tinge of Dorian, although I was mainly getting Dorian from this when the decant first arrived.

Wet: A blast of moss, and then the blend of Snake Oil and Dorian emerges, followed by a spiced carnation note. The moss still reigns, but the spiced carnation and the spices of the Snake Oil aren't far behind.

Dry: The spiced carnation and spices of the Snake Oil overtook the moss note for the most part.

A while later, the scent becomes sweeter when the Dorian and honey become more prominent.

Verdict: I'm going to keep my decant as I am curious to see how this ages, but I don't think I need a bottle since there's too much moss in this for my liking.

I expected this to be a super-sweet Snake Oil, but it's actually rather sharp and powdery on my skin. I don't smell any cotton candy or vanilla. Powdery Snake Oil, a sharp muskiness that I find in the newer versions of Dorian, honey and a spiciness that I'm guessing is coming from the carnation. It's jumbled and strange on me, but I'm one of the people who doesn't even really like regular Snake Oil (no matter how long it's been aged).

Sniff: Spice and sugar, sugar and spice. It smells delicious.

Wet: Oh, this is so very complex on me! It's bright and warm, with lots of comforting spice. There's also hints of incense and just a touch of florals. The honey provides a nice sweetness without being musky. It smells like a bakery in the middle of a field of wildflowers.

Dry: The staying power on this is pretty decent. My wrist smells like cookies and flowers.

Sharp splash of carnation comes through for a few second on wet, very bright against a strongly honey-and-Snake-Oil beginning. Tangy.

Then it settles to gently honeyed sweet spice with candy floss sweetness wafting around the edges.

The gentleness of this scent is fascinating considering both Dorian and Snake Oil are very loud throwy scents on me (Snake Oil being way too overpowering for everyday wear in fact), but this melding of them is delightfully soft and pretty. I also absolutely get the bakery/cookies vibes mentioned above. Beautiful.

Edited by skyablazing

This is quite odd at first. I smell a hefty amount of Dorian in the bottle, which augurs well, however it gains an odd musty quality once applied to my skin.

It does take patience as this stage lasts an hour or so, but suddenly the dusty musty note hies off to lands forgotten. Now it's a delightfully cotton candy sweet version of Dorian sans any hint of Snake Oil or the other notes.

I do like it at this stage as I love Dorian, but I don't know how often I'd have the patience to make it through that initial stage, especially with chronic stomach issues that cause vomiting and nausea. Maybe I'll keep a decant and swap the bottle off to a good home.

Edit: After aging that mustiness has disappeared and I get a hit of cotton candy and Dorian early on instead! Oh joyous day!

Edited by brilliantcat

In the bottle I smell honey, a much lighter honey than the one in Womb Furie, though there’s a similarity between the two, and the fougere of Dorian.

On my skin I can smell the Snake Oil. Perhaps because it’s new, it’s also fairly light. Snake Oil is usually heavy and spicy on me; this isn’t.

In the drydown, I get more vanilla, in addition to that in the Snake Oil, and the cotton candy floating over everything. It’s sweet, but not cloying.

I had to try Meus Amor Aeternus because I love both Dorian and Snake Oil and I have no other blends that contain them both. I’m very glad I bought a bottle.