Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

So rude! Dragon’s blood resin, coconut, vanilla bean, and neroli.

In the bottle, the vanilla and neroli combine to a sweet pastry, but--what a lovely surprise--this pastry has scales!
Once on, the blood resin morphs slowly, bringing with it a whiff of fresh-smelling young coconut. After a few minutes, the neroli comes into its own, intwined with the now richer (almost) golden vanilla. This scent has excellent throw and is quite long lasting.

Dragon's blood is pretty overwhelming on me, warm and spicy. I don't get much coconut or vanilla, just neroli, the sweetness it has just sort of supports the dragon's blood a bit (your mileage may vary due to skin chemistry).

Oooo I love Ill Mannered Dragon! The Dragons Blood is usually so strong in any of the Dragons I have tried on me, but this one is perfect! Still strong but a nice mix with the neroli, which seems to sweeten it and tone it down. I can smell a tiny bit of vanilla and coconut, but nothing overwhelming. At last a Dragon I can wear! :biggrin: After wearing this for about 20 min the coconut and vanilla are coming thru beautifully-giving this a light incense smell to me-just gorgeous! I wish I had ordered more bottles!

Edited by MariaJustme

My first review! Please bear with me and my uncultured nose, hehe.

I bought this and the Renoir Peach HG, expecting Ill Mannered Dragon to be my favourite and the HG to be iffy. But right now, I'm thinking the HG won! Funny how that works out!

Anyways, I n the bottle, to me it's mostly dragons blood! Yum! After I dabbed it on, it turned to something that reminded me of pine trees? Or that pine tree like scent that's popular around Christmas, but just slightly minty... O _o I admit, I didn't know what neroli was (I saw dragons blood and vanilla and was pretty much like, MUST TRY!!), so I looked it up and I'm guessing this is where the pine tree like smell is coming from? It's described as "green". For the first half hour or so, this is pretty much all I get. This surprised me, because dragons blood is usually pretty strong and delicious on me.

It's been about an hour and a half now, and unfortunately it's taking on this plastic-y smell that I'm starting to associate with most blends that have coconut. I so wanted to find something with coconut that works! :( But I'm finally starting to get a bit of the dragons blood scent though, and thankfully the slightly minty pine tree is gone! No sign of vanilla yet.

I will edit and update a little later to see how it comes along.

Okie guys, I posted this in the morning and now it's 4 in the afternoon! About an hour or so after I posted, the coconut/plastic smell seemed to die down and the vanilla came through more. Right now, it's actually a super nice creamy vanilla and dragons blood mix, but I can only smell it when I stick my nose on my wrist. Earlier, it seemed to have an okay throw as I kept getting whiffs of it here and there.

I think my final verdict is I think I will tuck it away for a few months and see how it turns out. Maybe the original piney scent will mellow, and to me, dragons blood only gets better with age! So maybe they will balance.

Edited by Asphydel

Right now, fresh out of my mailbox it's purely neroli with DBR (which is pretty awesome in itself) but there's zero coconut to my nose - maybe a hint of the vanilla bean. For a dragon, his bite is very gentle and kinda powdery - nice but not ZOMG. I should know better than to test without letting it settle, so I'll give it a few days and revisit before I decide if this dragon needs a new home.

Dragon's blood with a pinch of coconut and vanilla.

So perhaps like a coconutty version of Dragon's Milk? That's sort of what it makes me think of.

Comforting, warm, dragon's blood.

I sometimes have problems with neroli, so that may be what is making this smell slightly soapy on me. I love all the other notes, and was hoping for a coconutty Dragon's Milk-ish scent. :lol: but the addition of the neroli is adding that slight soapy sharpness that makes me think of Ren Faire soap/candles/incense. There is a particular scent, not a bad scent at all, but it is associated in my head with Ren Faires, and the combination of scents that those booths smell like. Citrusy sweetish Dragon's Blood.

It's nice, but I'm not sure if its a keeper. I was hoping that aging would change it a little, but I don't think it has.

I should love this, because I love every single note in it so much, but the lab's dragon's blood can sometimes take on a strange, sickly-sweet, floral tone, and that's what I'm getting here. No vanilla or coconut at all. Only a hint of creamy orange blossom/neroli. Strangely floral and a bit peppery, and goes a tad soapy on me in the drydown, before fading quickly (I could barely smell this after a half hour).

Wet: Spicy/floral DBR and sharp, bitter neroli. Sweetness and creaminess from vanilla and coconut, but they're not identifiable really as notes. I don't dislike it, but I am not loving it either.

Dry: Quite pleasant, actually. The DB dries down really incensey, which I quite enjoy, though I don't know it would be something I would wear. I wish I had been able to smell the coconut!

Ill-Mannered Dragon is strong! I am a big fan of Dragon's Milk, and Dragon's Milk with coconut and neroli sounded fantastic. But dragon's blood can go hugely cloying on me, and it does here; I was hoping the bitter neroli would temper that saccharine quality. For the first 45 minutes or so, the neroli barely shows up, and the vanilla and coconut get subsumed in the overwhelming dragon's blood. I get little hints of coconut and vanilla until finally the bracing neroli puts in an appearance, but it's too little, too late. I'm going to try this one again in a few days, when it's not fresh from the mailbox (a generous wishlist frimp from a lovely swap partner), because I really want this one to work, but the dragon's blood resin may simply be too overpowering here.

I purchased this one because of elephant 🐘 on label. Thankfully I like all the notes tho I  am not sure what neroli smells like on its own. Like citrusy floral but not ooh neroli!  Anyway my uneducated nose finds this to be a more mellow and toasted dragons milk. It doesn’t do the plastics DM sometimes has. As always this smells different on different parts of my body. In my cleavage I am getting some green stem but my wrists have toasted coconut flakes topping a milky DB. 

overall very pretty. I find that I like the few coconut blends I own. They add a meaty oomphy creaminess 

ALSO was going to say I don’t generally like fresh DB or dragons milk and need to age it prior to wearing otherwise it is very plastic but realized this is 8 yrs old?  Dang time flies

Edited by elka_knits