Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
DiesMali

Doc Constantine (2015)

Sheer musk, cedar smoke, fir needle, chaparral, black amber and leather.

In the bottle: Musky, woody cologne.

Wet on my skin: Musky, woody, herbal cologne.

Dry: This is a rather masculine scent, but I'm A-Okay with that! It's very well-blended overall, but I can pick out the individual notes as well. It's primarily musk and smoky evergreen, with a slightly herbal tinge, over a base of earthy leather. It's a little bit rugged and cowboy-like to my mind. This is not an in-your-face scent, though it's decidedly a bit seductive. Like what you'd smell if you got up close and personal with a handsome and charming Old West snake oil salesman, except he's actually taken a bath in recent memory. And then, as he winks slyly at you over his hand-rolled cigarette, you realise you wouldn't mind joining him for his next one. Ahem.

From what I can read online, chaparral is supposed to be the scent of some kind of desert plants? I'm not sure what it smells like, so I can't comment on the addition to this scent :smile:

I have also never smelled the original!

This scent is mostly cedar, fir and leather on me. A truly delicious and very unisex blend, where one note never dominates the others. I am not noticing much in the way of amber or musk, but the scent feels well-blended, so I'm sure those two notes are present in the background.

I am considering getting a bottle, since it's different enough from my other scents to warrant a place in my collection, and I could see myself wearing it when I want a little oomph in my life :smile:

I never got to smell the original.

The fir isn't as overpowering as I feared it would be. This is a very masculine blend (obviously LOL), the leather is soft and well worn. It's a dry-type scent. The woods are soft and the smoke comes and goes. This is really an excellent blend!

the smokey cedar is the main player on my skin. this does NOT go hamster cage nor pencil shavings, but it does evoke a warm, clean wood cabin in an evergreen forest. soft and clean and gentle, warm and comforting. I love forest scents, and need to death match this against others to check for overlap. it feels familiar yet also very unique. doc is beautiful but this scent is hardly diabolical. rather it's rugged, outdoorsy and trustworthy. dry and almost dusty. there's a warmth to it, like sitting in a patch of sunshine.

In the decant: Musky tree (I'm getting more cedar than fir), amber, and a bit of leather.

Wet: Same. The musk adds a sweetness to this scent so that it isn't nearly as masculine as I thought it would be, though the leather is stronger on my skin than it was in the vial. However, the cedar smoke and fir are still stronger than the leather. I'm not familiar with what chaparral smells like, so I can't pick it out of this scent.

Dry: I feel like this one is familiar, although I can't think of what it reminds me of... but I'm enjoying the wafts I get of the scent from time to time. I'm getting more of the musk and cedar smoke than anything else. The fir note is still present, as well as the leather, and the scent feels more masculine than it was during the wet phase. It also has more of a dry feel to it during this stage.

Verdict: This is nice. I plan on keeping my imp, but I don't think I need a whole bottle of this one.

Edited by dementia_divine

I'm definitely gonna have to try this again - maybe after a bit of aging?

My decant was FIR, chapparal, and black amber. I think the cedar smoke (or the musk, but my money's on the smoke) was blending with the amber as it's not quite the black amber I'm used to. But these notes were the whole of the scent. No leather. :( I do like it though! More than I would have thought, actually, especially with all that fir. Must be the amber/chapparal working magic together with my love of masculine scents.

I can kind of agree that it's not exactly diabolical... Kind of like an outdoorsy type that got roped into working at the carnaval one way or another. Horst, from the Johannes Cabal series might smell like this after spending a year on a hell train with his brother, haha :)aa

EDIT-- tried this on again today for work and it's blended super well! The musk is here and mixing with everything! The fir has lightened up and the scent as a whole is much more androgynous rather than the hard masculine lumberjack sort of thing I was getting before. Sadly, I still don't get leather, but it's so good- so, so good! Suddenly the idea of it belonging to a devious snake oil salesman makes perfect sense! And I need bottles. Bottlesss. :)

Edited by stubbornfire

New Doc is much more wearable on me than Old Doc (and I LOVED him, but he hated my skin). New Doc is amazing - very wearable cedar, leather that I don't amp plus a gorgeous sweet musk.

It disappears within 10 min of application though. :(

I'm gonna age the decant and see if sticks around better after a few months before I splurge on a bottle.

It's very lovely and unisex.

2015 version.

Doc Constantine smells very differently from its previous incarnation. On wet, I got more fir. But it dries to a smoky, cedar, musk and chaparral blend. It's a dry masculine blend. Kinda gritty. Think, Burning Man.

So yeah, Doc Constantine smells like the doctor you'd fine in a Burning Man festival - steampunky, smoky, sexy.

Oh yeah, this is the juice.......

(Source: imp decanted by Ralenth)

Musk furred with leather and, er, fir. Traditional cologne but in the very best sense of the term. Woodsy, but without hint of pencil shavings or peanut butter. My first top favorite of my Carnival decants.

Tzi

I remember the previous Doc as having more of a citrus element to it. This one is sweet evergreen and musk. It kind of reminds me of Golden Priapus, but with musk instead of vanilla. Both versions are not really my thing, but I'd like to smell it on a guy.

I knew this would be quite masculine, and likely not something I personally wanted to wear, but I was compelled to try it anyway.

Wet: Mmm. Sexy. Woody, spicy. Manly. Makes me want to find a sexy man, hold him down, and dump this on him. Mmmm. I love the black amber's touch of sweetness, and the smokiness of this. Maybe it's not too manly for me, maybe I could wear it...

Dry: My ability to amp amber to high heaven has actually made this just sweet enough for me to wear, I think! Still not sure if I will, but I think I owe it a full day test. I really like the sweet amber and smoky woods combo. The musk is understated on me, and something makes it just a touch spicy. It's really nice, and kind of sultry.

Wood and warm leather. Masculine but not overly so -- this is a sexy, "un-perfume" scent, like what you wish the object of your affections just naturally smelled like.

Rugged, but also soft somehow?

I like this on myself, but I may also give it to the boy to try.

Oh, my goodness this is beautiful! It is sexy and comforting at the same time. The cedar is a lush wood and the central player on my skin, backed with the fir, leather, musk and a wisp of smoke. The notes say "cedar smoke" rather than "cedar", but I am definitely getting the lush wood as well. Perhaps that is supported by the chaparral which is defined as a tangle of bush and thorny shrub. Occasionally when I sniff, I get a wisp of citrus which is not listed. To me it is unisex. I was going to gift it to my man, but I like it too much!

The color of the perfume oil is reddish-brown, and it smells that way, with a touch of fresh green from the fir needles. The top-notey fir springs out first, but -- for fir -- it's quiet and subtle. The musk is most evident for me, even at the start, and I think it's the same fuzzy and cozy musk used in Coyote. The cedar blends closely with it, while the smoke barely registers. When I look for the smoke, I feel I want more of it.

Since I went to Chaparral Elementary School in SoCal, I was curious what the scrub would smell like. I'm picking out only a vibe of rustic desert blending with the cedar, which appeals, though it doesn't last long on me.

The amber and leather are there, but subtle. Primarily this is a musky blend on me. I'll enjoy the bottle.

The original Doc Constantine was lots of dusty wood and worn leather on me, where this is more noticeably fresh evergreen, musky-clean cologne, and a woodsmoke drydown. The smokiness amps up on my skin and kind of reminds me of burning sage or some other dry, herbal desert plants, which I guess is the chaparral. I actually prefer the original.

*heavy sigh* NO leather :(

no fir

no cedar or smoke or cedar smoke

very clean

almost fruity

almost soapy

very sheer and light

This perfume has the same feel to me as Lyonesse does.. its got a lightness to it that I didnt expect.

It smells like a soft flannel shirt that a kind lumberjack wears to work. I get hints of the wood and the smoke, but theres a sweetness to it that surprised me. I like it, but its not quite what I had expected. I look onward for the perfect woody cologne blend.

In the Bottle: Fir and cologne with leather

On the Skin: This smells like a Lush shop. Not a bad thing, necessarily. I get fir and lavender (strangely) but that could be the chaparral influence. There is a slight smokiness and the depth of the black amber starts to exert some influence a little further into the drydown, starting to round out the scent.

The Drydown: The leather doesn't really start to peek out until well into the drydown and it's a new leather rather than the beloved BPAL aged leather note. I'm not one to ascribe gender to a scent generally but this one falls firmly into the masculine camp. I'm going to love this once age softens the edges.

I think of chaparral as a place, not a plant. Scrublands, high desert, the kind of landscape you would expect a classic Western to be set in. And it is exactly what Doc Constantine makes me think of. A leather-clad gunslinger riding up on his horse through a landscape of sagebrush and manzanita, pulling up to a campfire. Masculine and outdoorsy, or in other words, unisex, it's kind of like Coyote with more smoke and cedar. It doesn't have great staying power on me, about two and a half hours, but I like it a lot.

Wet: Dry, bone-like musk(I have no idea if that makes sense), with a touch of leather and cologne. Totally getting the desert vibe here as well.

Dry: That bone-like musk has strengthened, and the leather has all but disappeared. Still a touch of cologne, and I would still call this a very "dry" scent. This doesn't lean as masculine as I thought it would, either; much more unisex smelling.

I wouldn't necessarily want to smell like this, but I may try the decant on my husband and see how it smells on him. ;) 

I’m getting more of the experience Roogna describes from Doc Constantine than anyone else. It’s fruity/citrusy, a little powdery.... no leather/smoke/tree to be found :cry2:

The note list sounds like a dream, and my nose disagrees completely with the interpretation my skin gives. Bummer! 

Well... Not quite what I expected from the notes. I also get no leather from this and I can smell leather by the ppm. I get some vague smoke at first and a touch of the fir. Both vanish quickly though, leaving a muddled base of black musk (which usually goes to powder on me) and citrus. The combination is like a sweet musky/powdery lemon Pledge (furniture polish). Huh. Glad I got to finally try this one, but it's not for me.

This is warm and strong. I got a sniffie of this a few years ago and have been wanting a big bottle ever since. 

Just ordered my first! On skin there’s almost a cinnamon coffee vibe. Not heavy. Slightly smoky, warm spice. I think the spice is the effect of the black amber and leather. Black amber is sweet but powdery on me usually, and the leather tempers the powder.

Cedar is just there to add a slight rugged backdrop. The scent is overall a very worn musk with some smoke atop an old brown leather. It’s awesome. It’s very fall-esque. If you use the terms, it is more masculine but wearable and cozy enough for anyone.

Normally, I amp leather quite a lot, but in this scent, it's not much more than a background murmur. Instead, this smells like walking face first into the wall of my cedar closet. Maybe, if I concentrate, I can pick out a little bit of smoke, and a little hint of amber or leather. But for the most part, it's just CEDAR CEDAR CEDAR.

This is a beautiful, red swirly soft masculine scent. A soft leather, even softer smoke, warmed and sweetened by the other notes.