Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller (2015)

Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, black currant, patchouli leaf and wild plum.

Imp says September 2015 on it. Label is a bit wrecked so I know this lady has been aged.

In imp: Tart and musky
Initial Skin: :wub3:
Drydown: Hm this is confusing me. First sniff was absolute love. Later sniff, something is a bit off? I think I can't do Pomegranate on my skin. It's becoming a death note for me sadly. But it's brief and passes, shew. It's mostly just smoky musk, I swear sandalwood is in this because of the smoothness. Must be the red musk or a red patch. It gets almost buttery on me and any fruity notes are drowned out. Smooths out into a red-patch red-musk heavy blend. Strong.

Verdict; Musky incensey, with the barest whispers of fruit, and a tonka-reminisce backdrop.

Edited by Aveya

I'm in luuuuuurrrrrrvvvvvv! I didn't know that I was a red musk ho until I got some Mme. Moriarty on me.

Wet, it's dark and musky and patchouli-ed out. As it dries, the tart red fruits and vanilla show up. It's very sexy. The vanilla rounds everything out and the combined effect is surprisingly incense-like.

I have tons of new bottles and imps, yet I keep being drawn to Mme. Moriarty and for every occasion, she always feels right.

A sniffie of Mme. Moriarty passed through my hands once and seemed like it might be a red musk blend I could wear. Thanks to a super generous swap partner, I now have a testable amount, and it turns out I was right, although on balance the madame is a little fruitier than my usual taste. Red musk tends to amp to high heaven on my skin, and indeed for the first couple of hours, the throw was all red musk. But when I sniffed my wrist I got a much more complex picture: red musk to be sure, but red fruits and vanilla too, and a little patch. I don't think I'd wear this to work -- it's pretty sexy. But it is surprisingly wearable for me, and I like it a lot.

I remember being scared of Mme. Moriarty when I first tried it because for the first minute or so, it smells just like fingernail polish on my skin. However, I tried it again tonight and patience is a virtue, because this is gorgeous once it dries. The sharper notes and red musk are sweetened by the vanilla and plum; together, they all make for a sultry scent. The plum note with the vanilla reminds me of the sweet plum tone of Bordello. 

Since I like red musk but I'm a bit picky and this scent has been mentioned a lot in recommendations for best red musk blends I blind bottled this. I purchased mine directly from the lab and it's relatively new. 

I don't regret it at all. It's lovely. :wub:

In the imp I get mostly dark plum and other unidentifiable fruits (so... pomegranate and currant) and a bit of patchouli. It's not sharp to my nose, but quite tart. The tartness increases a bit when it dries down but it behaves and even later it get a little bit sweeter most likely from the vanilla. 

Stays on well and is noticeable throughout the day without reapplication. 

I was entranced by Mme. Moriarty the moment I saw the artwork, and am so happy that I love this scent as much as I hoped I would 💗 This is a very dark and heavy scent in the best kind of way. I have no experience with the original formulation, but this one is fabulous.

In Bottle: Red musk and patchouli are the strongest notes out of the bottle. There is also a noticeable fruitiness, but I am unable to differentiate the notes.

On Skin: Dark and sweet red musk; the fruits amp, but are still very well-blended. The patchouli becomes more woody and less earthy. Smells like an occult shop that sells homemade incense with dark fruits. Very sexy and mysterious. 

Dry Down: Maintains scent profile, but softens gradually.

Wear Time: 8-10hrs

Throw: Light-Medium (6-8in)

I bought this from a seller over four months ago and we assumed it was lost! So happy it showed up unexpectedly. 

In bottle: The musk and patchouli are strongest, it smells very dark. I hope the fruit note comes out a bit later. 

Wet on skin: Musk and a general fruitiness, I got a slight whiff of pomegranate and the currant (I tend to amp currant for some reason) and suggestion of plum are hanging out in the background. 

Dry on skin: Musk/patchouli which is rounded out by a vanilla and dark, juicy, red fruit scent (I'm getting a lot of pomegranate which is a note I adore). It's really beautiful and much less intense than I would have expected, I was thinking it would be more like blood kiss but it's not as heady. This one feels more subtle but it still has a ton of presence. I can't wait to see how this one ages! 

I got this hoping for all the fruit notes in it--I'm a big fan of pomegranate, currant, and plum--but instead, this is nothing but red musk and vanilla. It might as well just be a duo for me. It's not unpleasant by any means, but I've got better vanilla , and too much musk tends to give me a headache by the end of the day. This was a big hit with the hubby though, and despite sounding like a very feminine scent, it works wonderful on him. Warm and dark and, well, witchy.