Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller (2015)

Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, black currant, patchouli leaf and wild plum.

I was so, so scared that I wouldn't love this as I love the original, that the addition of the blackcurrant would have ruined it for me, turning it into fruity sugar doom... but I didn't need to be. Thank everything that is holy, if indeed there are holy things.

It's not the same. It's lighter, brighter, fruitier. Sweeter on me. Less patchouli and sharp pomegranate, more of the softer notes. I don't know how much of that is part of the reformulation, and how much is age. It has the same red musk-vanilla magic (and it truly is magic). I am a wee bit fonder of the original version, I think, but this new one is pretty damn glorious, and likely to get even more so with age. It's beautiful. I love it. I need more bottles. :wub:

2015 version.

HOLY CRAP. I can wear Mme. Moriarty.

The original Mme. Moriarty did not play well with my skin. In fact, that may have been a massive understatement. Given that I smelled like unwashed BO when I tried out the original Mme, this is a revelation.

This time it's straight up red musk, strawberry leaf, vanilla and a touch of black currant. On me its a fruity sugary red musk. Light, flirty, sexy.

UGH. Part of me wants to buy a bottle because, hello! I can finally wear Mme. Moriarty. The other one is trying to figure out if I would actually wear it. Just because something is now wearable doesn't mean you'll actually wear it.

I'm another one who couldn't wear the previous incarnation. The patchouli was very heavy and almost mentholated. This one is is what I had hoped the last would be: succulent dark fruits nicely grounded with rich musk and vanilla. Amazing.

I think I had a bottle of the previous Mme. at one point but it has been so long I really don't remember how it smelled. This new version however is amazing. Smooth and beautiful red musk, fruits, vanilla, and patchouli - womanly and warm. The funny thing is, I think this would pair beautiful with Dorian - I *need* to get a bottle or some hair gloss, I think it would be an amazing combo.

Here was the review I wrote for the NEW Mme. (I am new to BPAL and never even knew there was an old version lol)

When I first opened the bottle, I got the whiff of the medicinal scent other reviewers were smelling. However, like the other reviewers mention, the medicinal smell is exactly what you expect an apothecary to smell like: old-world, dark, a little fruity. The scent on my skin became immediately intimate. I ordered this perfume to smell mythical and supernatural. I wanted to invoke the feelings vintage fortune tellers might invoke. Needless to say, this scent achieved this goal. I don’t think this scent is for everyone, but when I go out on the town at night with crimson lipstick, this is the scent I wear.

Bottled: Highly medicinal and a little sickly sweet (think cherry lozenges) with a hint of smoke and incense.

On *my* skin: Less sweet. Darker. Reminds me of candle wax and a swept floor. I went to a store in Piccadilly Circus once that sold puppets (circa 2001, don’t think it’s there anymore) and it smelled JUST like this. Weirdly, I ended up buying tarot cards there.

The black current makes this a much lighter scent. It's kind of helpful because in the original I had to suffer through a cherry cough syrup stage before drydown. However, this scent is just not as deep as the original. Who knows what aging will do to it though.

This scent always reminds me of deep, dirty, sexy cotton candy. I swear. It's even more pronounced in this version because the blackcurrant could be the blue flavor, the pomegranate could be the pink. Very appropriate for a circus scent.

I haven't tried the original Mme Moriarty, so this is an unbiased review without context!

I do get the medicinal notes that I saw some other reviewers mentioned, something like cherry cough syrup. It does mellow out and become fruiter over time, and it seems like there's even a hint of spice or nuttiness.

I'm pretty curious to try the original version and see how it differs now.

In bottle: VERY 'perfumey' and medicinal...I've never tried the original...but I share what other reviewers are getting initially...just very red.

On skin: Vanilla and red! Smokey...Oh man...I have worn it a couple times but didn't review it until now...and it is WILDLY different after aging a bit. SO MUCH SEXY.

Drydown: Sexy red vanilla smoke. With a tiny drop of adult...perhaps booze. It is PERFECT now that it has aged. I need to see if I can get a bottle or two again now that I have seen the aging. :biggrin:

Wow, just wow!

I love this one! My bottle is draining fast, this will probably be the first oil that I buy backups of! I might have to if I ever want to find out what it smells like aged (the bottle I have won't last that long lol)

I find this one smells a lot like something a niche perfume house would sell to me for $300.00/bottle, it does smell quite in line with what popular in the niche world today.

I get what must be the famous red musk and I'm a lover of it. The mix of the vanilla and fruits, to me, do not make this sugary sweet but rather lend a perfect sexy sweetness to the rest of the fragrance.

The only complaint I can come up with is that my nose gets used to it quickly and I can't smell it after a while (to no fault of the fragrance). I thought at first that it faded fast but I always get complements on it when I think it's gone

Edited by Spaztic

I haven't smelled the original formulation, so I can't compare the new formulation to it, but Mme. Moriarty is mesmerizing, indeed. Reminds me a lot of Snake Oil. I'm normally very wary of patchouli, but here it is rather clean and grounds the other notes. A slight punch of fruityness appears in the drydown, but the scent never crosses the line into saccharine sweetness. I'd like to see how the fragrance ages.

First review ever! :blush2:

In the bottle: Sharp. Medicinal. Herbal. Weird.

Wet: Ugh patchouli!! Why are you so strong on me?! :frustrated: Not getting any fruits at this stage.

1h: Red musk dominate and the patchouli is still lurking in the background. Something a bit fruity make its presence know as well. I don't get any vanilla :cry2:

Not sure about Mme...but I'll try it again in a few months.

Edit 29/5

Someone wrote " red vanilla smoke" and that's what I get now! I get all the note in fact♡ The red musk is still heavy in the wet stage but it is much more tolerable now, same fo the patchouli :) I don't regret my bottle :)

Edited by nolifeking

Blind bottle purchase from the forum. Looking for a sexy red musk.

IN THE BOTTLE:

Sharp, slightly medicinal and forest HERBS!!!! I'm worried.

WET:

Medicinal, evergreen SMASH! I'm not getting any sweetness, only strong, sappy woods. What's that in the background? Pomegranate?

DRY:

ahhhhhh Huffing!!! Glowing, vanilla warmth mixed with plump, burgundy-black fruits so ripe, they're splitting.

NOTES:

Treasure!!! I have not experienced the original Mme Moriarty, so I can't compare, but this is AMAZING! Complex, multi-layered and purring with lust. I feel completely elegant while I'm wearing this, even though I'm in pajamas. I would say this is as good as my $$$ bottle of Back to Black--rich, glistening and transformative. Sparkling with pomegranate pearls, sweating black plums, wispy vanilla smoke and earthy patchouli, I'm rolling on the satin sheets and may stay in bed until dinner.

RATING:

:heart: 9

Edited by Jenjin

I got a tiny amount of the old version of this from an ebay purchase lot a while back and instantly loved it. So of course, I had to have the newest version and its still love. This Mme is a little fruitier, more full bodied. She still has the sexy sinister vibe of red musk, and the sweetness of the vanilla. I love it, but like many of the Carnival scents this go around, the throw isnt very far and my skin soaks it up like a sponge. Maybe if it ages a few months itll last a little longer. Super pleased with it overall.

This is the first super red/fruity scent that I have had an intense affection for. The red musk is really intense in the decant/wet but settles in with all the juicy fruits. The patchouli leaf is very grounding but well blended into the other notes. It's velvety and sexy, almost boozy. Will need a bottle!

Very similar to the first version, while that one was a bit thicker, sharper and spicier. This one is a bit more smooth and soft but that's exactly how I like it.
To be fair, when this bottle came in yesterday I barely smelt it but appearantly it had to settle and it's obviously moriarty now.
I hope that it ages to where it gets just a little more of that punch that the first version had, otherwise it's basically the same thing. Lovely! <3

I've never tried the original Madame, but I'm in love with this incarnation! Sweet, smoky, musky vanilla with luscious red fruit- so gorgeous. It makes me think of a sweeter, slightly less complex Snake Charmer. Absolutely delicious, and an instant favorite.

I was underwhelmed with Mme. Moriarty at first, but after a couple of months of aging, I really love it - definitely in my top 10! I've hesitated to review it because like the other Carnaval's I've tried, it is superbly blended and I have a lot of trouble picking out the various notes - it just smells GOOD to me.

On reflection, I think for me the magic is in the plum, which is a note that often doesn't work on me, but here is is combined with some of my favs and mainstays - pomegranate, red currant, and red musk - all notes that I get excited to see in scent descriptions. But the plum takes it to another level - it combines with the other notes to smell rich and indolent, and oh so very purplish-red. The vanilla bean gives it depth and sweetness and the patchouli leaf is unobtrusive but gives it a little edge that I like. This is also the joopman's favorite scent on me.

If you are a plum lover but find it to be a tricky note (as I do), I recommend giving this one a try - it's divine!

I first bought this scent when the carnival came back in 2015. I thought all of the notes sounded perfect. But when I tried it, it was so sharp and medicinal, and not at all what I was expecting. So it went in the back of my drawer. I took it out a couple more times over the years but it still smelled so sharp.

So recently on a whim I decided to skin test it. It was still very sharp at first, but then the vanilla came out, and it turned into this wonderful, smooth, fruity scent with a lovely incensey base. This is what I wanted it to be all along. It has catapulted to one of my top scents. I'm so glad I didn't get rid of this!

I've never smelled the original version so no comparison possible. Ok I was one of the people who LOVED this when it was fresh. It was gorgeous and fruity and sweet with the red musk a supporting player and just a hint of patchouli. Then was disappointed after a few months of aging because the patchouli came and stomped all over everything. Aging for a year has made this magic again . The patchouli has smoothed out and receded a quite a bit, but provides the woody and slightly spicy base and the fruits and red musk have come back and sweetened the whole blend. It's really well blended too. It's still different to how it was when fresh but this is back to total love. It's also gone quite thick and syrupy in the bottle. Great throw and wear length - I have to be a bit careful of how much I put on. I'm not sure which reviewer said this is what they'd wear when they ride into battle but I agree! I feel powerful, sexy and playful when I wear it. Sort of a "of course you want me around you! I make the world better just by being here!" kind of feeling. A definite confidence boost.

In the bottle and wet on my skin: Glorious. Berries and incense. The moment you walk into an Occult/Pagan/Apothecary shop...or with the name in mind: a fortune teller's tent.

The dry down: The vanilla and musk appear and it turns it into a creamy, berry incense-y smell that is super addicting to me. I love it and can't wait to see how it ages.

I really wanted this scent to work, I mean really wanted it to. I adore red musk and patch, black currant and plum are favorite notes of mine. So I've been testing and retesting my imp since I got it (so 1.5 years or a bit more) and every note in there agrees with me that I know of but something goes slightly medicinal which throws the scent off. :wacko2:

So unfortunately, I'm at the dregs on my imp and I won't be buying a bottle. Just so sad.

I got this a more than a year and a half ago, wore it once and declared it, "Nice!"

Now, it has become an exquisitely sexy red musk and patch dominant scent, with fruity nuances that are not too sweet. I also get a woody vibe which might very well be part of the splendid patch. There is a vanilla undertone in this as well.

It is an outstanding fragrance.

I loved the original Mme. Moriarty, and I love the new Moriarty. The newer version isn't quite as much of a butt to the head (in a very, very good way) as the original, but it's lovely. I think there are fewer sharp edges in this blend, with the patchouli and the fruits being less dry, and the musk is more subdued. No aging is needed, IMO, it smells fabulous brand new out of the bottle. This Mme. Moriarty is juicy, voluptuous and sexy as hell.

Ive had this bottle for about 6 months now. When I first received it, I remember APPRECIATING it, but not liking it much at all. But I didn't wanna sell/swap it because it appears to be a bpal staple. Fast forward to now. WOW. I understand what aging means. This is such a beautiful, sultry scent. Musky and very subtley fruity. The harshness has died off and the fruits seem more prominent, but it is nothing like what my mind considers "fruity" if that makes sense at all? All I know is, this will be getting a lot of wear out of me now, and im so glad I held on to it.

Never used the old version, so can't compare. Bought this from a swapper on 10/19/2017, label says 2016 so I'm guessing it's a little bit aged already. I absolutely ADORE this one. Reminds me a LOT of Snake Oil for the first hour or so - the red musk, vanilla bean, and patchouli leaf are strong while the fruits stay in the background. As it dries, the fruits come forward - sweet, juicy, and sexy. I'm usually not one for fruity scents but the combination here is perfect. This fragrance is sophisticated and sexy. It's definitely one of those BPAL blends that evokes the feeling of a high-end expensive perfume, only even better. I work in high-end luxury retail and this will be a workday staple for me.