Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rayvn1

Pure Applesauce

Our applesauce is decidedly impure: mashed apples with sugar and honey, slivered with tobacco tar and black tea.

This was one of the better apple scents I've tried. But it was light and had little throw. While it lasted it was sweet cinnamony applesauce. Reminded me of my school lunches when I was a kid and mom would put that little cup of applesauce in my brown paper bag. Cute but not a total keeper for me. Swapped away.

In the imp: Green and bright. It's not a juicy smell, more like taking a sniff of an apple right before you first bite into it. Very life-like.

On: The same bright scent, but the more it warms up on my skin, the redder and sweeter the apple gets. After a couple of minutes it smells like a red apple, mixed with honey and milk.

Those last two notes are not my kind of thing at all.

An hour after applyingI smell red apples and faint tea leaves. It's okay. Not long after that the scent is completely gone. It's nice, I loved the green apple that started off the scent, but the rest felt kinda "meh". I have better apple heavy bpals than this.

In the bottle, this smells very strongly of apples, with just a bit of something else.

On me, the tobacco scent comes out incredibly strongly, with a bit of sweetness and apple over it. No tea at all, and the tobacco is definitely the main scent, not the apples. Sadly, not a fit for me, I was really hoping for more apple.

I was not planning on getting so many bottles from this series, but I can't resist the lab's apple note. It's so fresh and true and it seems to work well on my skin. This starts out as crisp, green apples and gradually turns a bit darker from the tobacco and tea. Somehow it almost feels metallic--for a moment there I thought the description said "silvered" instead of slivered, and that would fit too. It's light and almost floral without being truly sweet, and I can see myself wearing it at any time of year. Yet another winner!

Pure Applesauce starts out as a really rich, autumnal apple scent, very sweet and decadent. Sadly, it fades INCREDIBLY fast and after about 4 minutes I can barely smell it. ☹️

Source: Lab Blind-Buy (or rather, impulse buy with my last order for my decant circle lol)

Preconception: APPLE please pretty please. Reviews look promising - Apple apple everywhere!

Bottle Sniff: Honey apple.

Initial Skin: HONEY! HI THERE. Shew so much richer and honey-heavy then the other reviews led me to believe. Really really thick, sweet, dark. I'm thinking it's all Honey and Tar.

Drydown: On me, the apple literally got smushed and trampled and I'm left with faint apple background adding crisp sweetness, but the star of the show is this rich rich rich tobacco "tar" - which smells amazing by the way. Thick, sweet, tobacco is more an afterthought adding a smokey edge. I think the black tea is merging into one with this - making it feel fresh and natural, but yet dark and devious.

I figured I'd love this scent because APPLES. But no. Apples is a side-show for me. This is all rich, dark, decadent, black, sweet. Think black treacle.

Verdict: Forget apple. This is Black Honey Tar. And it's amazing.

Don't get me wrong - Apple is there. But to my skin/nose, it's like the friend you have in common that sets you up together - the star is this new friend you never would have thought to like but omg. Dark and mysterious, yes please.

The first time testing this the initial scent in the bottle and on my skin made my brain scream apple juice, I think it is something about the distinct sweetness of the red apple paired with the honey. On further tests I more distinctly get the honey in the initial sniff. Very sweet but not cloying, the honey has enough depth and I think the tea and tobacco help ground it though I cannot detect them at first. On my skin the apple gets much brighter and a little tart, more green apple-y. I almost get a sense of apple blossom in the background. The tea starts to come out, not anise-y but a very true warm, faintly woody scent. As it further dries I get sweet, dry tobacco. They mingle fairly equally for sometime this one has very good staying power and throw on me. At the very end I am left with mostly tea and tobacco and just the faintest hint of apple. 

The apples in this are faint on me, I'm mostly getting the tea with a touch of apple and tobacco. It definitely resembles applesauce though, but within a couple of hours it goes powdery and almost completely fades away. A bummer, this was nice while it lasted.

It's amazing how this can manage to smell like Granny Smith apple peel specifically. It's not a juicy apple for me at all, but a dry, tart, spiced apple, a little like you've left the peel of an apple out on the kitchen counter underneath sunlight and it's starting to brown and curl. To be honest, I was hoping for much more tobacco and tea out of this--that's what makes the scent interesting to me, but it's not like I have a good apple scent right now, so I'll definitely be keeping this one around.

In summary, I think this is a good apple scent for people who aren't into foody scents, like me.