Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
rayvn1

Pure Applesauce

Our applesauce is decidedly impure: mashed apples with sugar and honey, slivered with tobacco tar and black tea.

I know people are waiting for a review of this one, so I'm testing it straight out of the mail. In the bottle, I get pure, sweet apples somewhat similar to Snow, Glass, Apples (although that's one of the only apple scents I own, so the similarity may be negligible for others.) Once on my skin, this is exactly sugar and bright apples! Once it starts to dry, things become more complex. It stops smelling only of fresh green apples and sugar. There's a twinge in the background of the tobacco tar or the tea. Just a twinge, mind you. With that, it begins to smell much more of cooked, tart apples. Decent throw. The more it dries, the more the honey note begins to peek its head out. It smells so good. Really, really good - and I'm not normally a foodie-scent person. This is perfect for summer or fall weather, and I can see myself reaching for it often :)

Oh WOW. This is all I ever wanted from an apple scent. I'm gonna buy another bottle stat.

It's sweet/green apple and you get something in the background that isn't sweet.

AMAZEBALLS. LET ME CRY.

(I am always on the hunt for apple scents, so I knew I had to blind buy this one. Whoops. What is money?)

I am going to have to agree with Barilace. This is one of my dream apple scents and I wish to never be without it.

In the bottle it's crisp apple that smells like a green apple to my nose, so refreshing. On the skin it immediately reminds me of Verdandi but not as tart and I love Verdandi so I knew this would be promising. The very second it began to dry I found my nose attached to my wrist and inhaling deeply, catching the most beautiful baked apple scent. This may sound really odd but to me it smells like the baked apples you get at Cracker Barrel.............. If anyone has gotten them you will know what I am talking about. The full dry down is baked apple with the tiniest whiff of cinnamon (I swear I smell it) and a really nice dollop of sugar and black tea.

I just love this and need more before it goes away.

In the bottle: This features a green apple note. I do get the 'mashed' quality of the apple note, but it also seems more like a green apple that has just been bitten into at times. It's not the same mashed apple from my beloved Lambs-Wool, though.

Wet: The green apple note is the most prominent, but I also get the sliver of tobacco tar beneath it, which adds a bit of smokiness to the scent. The scent is more tart than I had anticipated. I hope the sugar and honey notes come out more once this is dry.

Dry: Ah, okay. There's the honey and sugar notes. They have tamed the tart apple note, and brought a little bit of the black tea with it (which doesn't have the licorice vibe that I sometimes get from black tea notes). I vastly prefer this stage of the scent.

Verdict: I thought this one would be a love, because I adore apple scents (and I also like sugar, tobacco, and tea scents) but I'm actually not wowed by it. Of course, green apples are not my favorite, and I guess I was just expecting this scent to be sweeter than it turned out to be. I am going to let my bottle settle for a few more weeks. Then, I'll retest it and see my stance on it then. I just have so many apple scents that I don't feel like I should keep one in my collection that is just 'okay' to my nose.

*edit* After a few weeks, the black tea note has come out a lot more, and so has the tobacco tar. Alas, I was hoping the sugar and honey would emerge more after a few weeks of settling, so I won't be keeping my bottle.

Edited by dementia_divine

In bottle: Oooh...lovely apple!! And yes, I agree, it is more of a green apple. So crisp and fresh!!

On skin: YUM!! I instantly get the mashed honey apple scent. It is great... the honey note worried me since that note always turns to a dust smell. But not here!! This is such a great apple scent... it is so very Autumn!

Dry down: Medium throw and it is a nice, spicy dry apple... in a good way! I don't get tar or tobacco out of it, but maybe that keeps it smelling warm and cozy! If you love apple scents or trying to find that ONE apple scent to make you go WOW.... this is it!! So glad I got a bottle!!! :heart:

Edit for update:

Been a little while and I can't stop sniffing my wrist! It dawned on me, this reminds me of Beaver Moon 2012... but without the "gooey" note! :) Loving this!!!

Edited by Numanoid

In bottle: Pure apple heaven! Apple dominant, with delicious black tea in second. The tobacco is excellent support for the apple, while giving it a naughty air. The honey adds a touch of the wicked. I'm in love. Wet: Strongly apple dominant, soft tobacco and honey support. Delicate whiff of tea. Dry: mostly apple and a bit of honey.

In the bottle: Granny Smith apple skin, after several months in storage (I'm from an apple-growing state, and that's NOT a good thing for me.)
Wet: Granny Smith apple skin. Tantalizing hints of the other notes occasionally, overwhelmed by the apple.

Dry down: After about 4 hours, the apple skin smell simmered down enough for me to detect the tobacco and tea, occasionally.

Verdict: I have finally found a note (besides vetiver,) that I "amp." None of the Lab's other apple scents have done this :sad:. I'm going to have to swap it away for someone else to love.

I'm pretty sure that apples and I aren't meant to be together. No matter what apple forward scent I try, it ends up being way TOO BRIGHT and LOUD. But, the scent is beautiful... it's green with some tea for me.

Sending on the decant to someone that can love it.

Smushed apples with spices. The apple reminds me of the SGA green apple.

There's something dark and not-sweet hovering in the background, and the sweetness of the apple fades a bit as the tea and spices come out more on the drydown.

This has pretty good throw and lasting power, and I wouldn't necessarily call it a foody scent. I actually will probably give this sample to my boyfriend, who likes quirky not-too-sweet fruit scents sometimes.

This is like smelling the sharp, tart, sour, green skins from a green apple and none of the sweetness or juiciness of the fruit itself. It smells a bit musky and air freshener-ish to me, like a green apple & spring floral Glade room spray. Slightly soapy.
An hour in, it's a sweet, powdery honey with sharp green apple skin and soapiness. I don't really care for it.

Decant, from a circle.

Wet, this is glorious fresh apple. Green apple, to be specific, without being too tart.

As it begins to dry, the rich sweetness of the honey starts to come through, but it's still almost all apple.

This dries to a faint, sort of "dusty" apple. I don't get any of the other notes, and the apple really doesn't work on me. I think I may have to face the fact that BPAL apple just doesn't work for me, at least not as the main note in a blend. Makes me sad.

The juice of a Granny Smith apple, which slowly starts to bake as it dries. Lots of depth, although not much complexity. A little bit of the tea starts to come out later. I like BPAL's apple note, but I already have several apple (and apple/tea) oils, so I think the imp will be sufficient for now.

I really can't do apple blends, they remind me of Pert Plus and shampoo in general. They are part of the sniffie sets I get though, and deserve a review. This one is a warmer apple, green, cooked slightly with spices. I wouldn't wear this, but like apple scented hair glosses, so go figure.

Pure Applesauce starts out bright, sweet apple, and a few minutes later tobacco comes in, and for a few minutes the combo is a little cloying. Then, a smoky note comes to the fore (I really don't know which note is causing this--possibly the tobacco or tea, IDK) and gives it kind of a burnt apples quality. At this stage, I was like "hmm, smoky apples, I like smoky apples, but darned if I don't already have a lot of smoky apple scents."

And then I proceeded to forget about it for a few hours. And then...WOW. This is at its best when I've had it on for about five hours. It turned into this glorious apple/sugar/honey/tiny smidge of tobacco thing that was just divine. I guess I need a bottle, don't I? Darn you Beth! :lol:

Sweet, pulpy green apple mash. Sweetened with honeyed tobacco and a hint of black tea. Nice, subtle, simple. Will keep the decant and maybe upgrade to a bottle.

Granny Smith apple blossoms! This is a fresh, intensely apple blend. To me, it smells more like apple blossoms on the drydown. I get a touch of honey as well.

This is fruity, fresh, and well, if you ever wanted to smell like green apples, give this a whirl. It's alot more wearable than the Annurca Apple Blossom SN that the Lab released a few years ago - more of a perfume.

Simple, pure, apples.

Fresh Granny Smith apples for sure! A bit sour, tart, and juicy. I get a bit of the honey but unfortunately only a tiny whisper of tea and no tobacco. Mainly this is a tart apple scent with a hint of honey. Nice but unfortunately not as complex as I was hoping. I'll be letting it sit to see if a bit of aging allows the other notes to come into their own.

This was pretty consistent from start to finish. Top notes may have contained apple blossom because the blossom on me is sweet and has impressive throw.

Wet and early dry, this smells like pure applesauce, convincingly so. Mott's applesauce is my childhood memory reference and this smells just like it.

Tobacco note or accord is missing for me. There is a hint of black tea in the dry phase but I have to sniff for it.

Overall, this is sweet apple mush and sugar with a hint of tea. Maybe aging will allow for more development of the tobacco and tea notes because this would benefit from some grounding notes. Lovely and accurate in it's depiction of applesauce but lacking in complexity. If aging does bring out the tobacco more, I'll update this review and upgrade to a bottle. I'm keeping my decant to retest and enjoy.

Could it be? An apple-based scent I don't immediately hate on myself? I had almost given up trying.

I mean I'm still not completely sold, but there's something kind of mellow about this one that I like. I guess the tobacco and tea tempers it a little, and this one plays very close to the skin as well so there isn't that overpowering sour/bitter scent that apples always seem to turn into on me.

Worth another few wears at least, I'll see if it grows on me even more.

So very interesting how this apple is most definitely cooked, while the apples in the Weenies this year are crisp and raw.

It's definitely not pure, as per the description. There is an apple scent, and then there are many other things going on. Sweet things. Really sweet things. The sugar and tobacco and tea combination reads as slightly caramely but with a pipe smoke type edge. So I guess this smells like applesauce and tea eaten in a study redolent with pipe smoke. Very pleasant, but I like a few of the Weenies so much I'm going to go that direction for my apple instead.

For me this scent is a crisp, fresh, bright apple that slowly morphs into something darker and richer as it dries. The apple is bright and forward but slowly adds in the tea and tobacco, very slowly, until you realize the apple is gone and what you've got is tea and sticky tobacco. It's a really lovely scent, bright apples with some darker depths.

In the bottle this is a bright, juicy green apple, and a generous dose of brown sugar.

On the skin the apple note fades into a pleasant tartness, and the tobacco tar and tea come to the front. As it fades it turns into a sweet apple tea, with a hint of smoke to it, which is very pleasant, very fresh. I can't decide if I'll like this better in the autumn or the summer. I'm glad I have a bottle, so I can play with it!

Our applesauce is decidedly impure: mashed apples with sugar and honey, slivered with tobacco tar and black tea.

I know people are waiting for a review of this one, so I'm testing it straight out of the mail. In the bottle, I get pure, sweet apples somewhat similar to Snow, Glass, Apples (although that's one of the only apple scents I own, so the similarity may be negligible for others.) Once on my skin, this is exactly sugar and bright apples! Once it starts to dry, things become more complex. It stops smelling only of fresh green apples and sugar. There's a twinge in the background of the tobacco tar or the tea. Just a twinge, mind you. With that, it begins to smell much more of cooked, tart apples. Decent throw. The more it dries, the more the honey note begins to peek its head out. It smells so good. Really, really good - and I'm not normally a foodie-scent person. This is perfect for summer or fall weather, and I can see myself reaching for it often :)

I love this! I've been on a search for apple scents recently, and this does not disappoint. The scent is primarily applesauce on me, but the tobacco and tea give it a depth that I enjoy. A great scent for a great cause! It goes great with the Honeyed Apple bath oil and the NYCC Red Apple hair gloss.