Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Land of Heat: red musk flickering with hot red amber, red pepper, scorched thyme, frankincense, green cardamom, and Ceylon cinnamon.

This is an unusual and intriguing semi-dry blend comprised of an almost but not too red hots candy cinnamon with flares of dried red pepper and cardamom, tempered with amber and frankincense, with a teensy bit of thyme giving it a faint herbal note. Certainly a hot smelling blend but as of this brief wrist skin test, not a burning skin blend. Slightly but not overly sweet, and though the cinnamon reminds me a bit of red hots candy it is not overly foody either. The focus of this blend on me goes towards a very hot, spicy, amber resin. I am looking forward to doing a full body run on this one because so far this is a standout. :)

In the bottle: Dry cinnamon bark, herbs, and pepper.

Wet on my skin: Gorgeous already, oh my. All the notes are here, but blending well enough that I take them all as one.

Dry: This is a dry, sweetish, and hotly spicy blend on my skin. It's mostly frankincense, cinnamon, and amber on me, with the musk backing them up and the pepper, thyme, and cardamom giving it that almost-foody herbal note. The sweet red musk and frankincense float in a cloud around me, while the other notes are closer to the skin. The cinnamon is NOT predominant in this, but instead adds a sweet-spicy kick to everything else. This is actually my favourite red musk blend so far. So glad I got a bottle! In my mind, it's the dusty red of the surface of Mars.

I may have received an off bottle, because I get next to no cinnamon out of this at all. In the bottle, wet, and dry-down, all I got was red, wet fruit. There's a slight hint of something smokey, and I definitely get "red" out of this, but this is really cinnamon-light for me. I normally have issue with cinnamon & cardamom causing a skin reaction, and I had none of that with this.

Red musky amber, red pepper, frankincense and thyme. This one is an odd red fruity, touch of cinnamon, red pepper and thyme over a resinous base. And it smells vaguely like italian food to me, but that may be the combination of red pepper and thyme. Good throw and good wear length.

a light and smooth red musk lightly sweetened by amber, with occasional wafts of subtle spice. very little thyme on me. nothing is amping.

this wears warm and dry. although there is a bit of sweetness, it's not at all a sweet blend. the throw is on the lighter side of the red musks scents I've tried, making it perfect for the workplace. lasted all day.

the land of heat is a very pleasant place to be. there's a comfortable kind of zen happening here. who knew?

In the bottle: Red musk and amber, and definitely thyme, though I don't detect a strong "scorched" element at this stage. I mean, it smells like herbal dried thyme but not like I actually burned it in a pan or anything.

On my skin:

Wet, red musk floats up immediately, followed by amber, followed by something... almost citrusy floral that I can't discern based on the notes. If I didn't have a note list, I would have guessed champaca (and been wrong, obviously), which is at least a pleasant, if inaccurate, association. As it dries, the red musk dials back on me -- alas! -- and I'm left with the same red amber that I like in Fragment 38. Where that is sweetened by olive blossom, though, this is dry and herbal spiced. I still get the dried thyme, along with flakes of dried red pepper. 

I am getting very little sweetness from this, such that I do wish for a bit more. That said, I am testing this when I am freshly showered and when the desert has produced summer thunderstorms outside my door. I wonder what would happen if I tried this on on a sunny, dry, sweaty day.