Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

Out of the bottle: This smells exactly the way I pictured it. Like a cool breeze after a heavy rain. This was the ultimate aquatic scent! Though I am still quite new to BPAL, so I may be proven wrong later.

On me: The fragrance remained the same for about 3 hours, only fading in intensity. Now, 5ish hours later, it smells a bit sweet and a bit like a light floral.

My husband says that it smells like soap, but I don't see it (or smell it, I suppose!).

I was expecting to dislike this scent as aquatic/ozone scents and I rarely get along, so it was a very welcome surprise to find Tempest was a clean, fresh scent that's unobtrusive but unique.

In the imp, the scent is a little generically masculine and smells not unlike aftershave, but on the skin there's a wonderful, bright freshness which I suspect is lemon, with an undertone of mint. It reminds me of the lovely and delicate Empyreal Mist, but is brighter and much fresher.

Perfect for summer!

Edited to add -

I spoke far too soon. After two hours of wear, Tempest darkened and became sludgy and dirty. I have this problem with so many aquatic scents that I think it's time to give up on them. Cthulhu and R'yleh both did exactly the same thing. Off to the swap pile it goes.

Edited by Rouge

In the bottle: Sharp. Ozone.

Wet on skin: Watery, a little salty. Reminiscent of a sea breeze.

Dry on skin: Uh...where'd the smell go?

Seriously, it disappeared almost instantly and left me with nothing. Guess I'm not a water person.

in my childhood I lived on one of the great lakes and as a teenager I lived on the gulf of mexico. To me this doesnt come off oceany aquatic at all but more lightning on a lake sort of smell. Its beautiful and I have enabled someone with this scent already :P

this is a fresh, clean, slightly citrus aquatic. maybe some lotus-y floral too? it reminds me of shampoo and has a very 'clean' scent. it's pretty but not my style.

Sharp ozone and aquatics are what I smell. Maybe a little citrus, but that could be the power of suggestion since I read some other reviews mention it. Possibly something floral in there somewhere. Medium strength and throw, and over time it doesn't do any morphing.

This smells good. I can see why people get 'dryer sheets' from ozone, and I get that a little, but it doesn't ruin it for me. However...ultimately this just isn't something I would reach for very often. I think I like ozone more when it's a supporting note, like in Cloister Graveyard or Kingsport.

In the bottle: clean fresh aquatic. I love Beth's aquatics! :P

Wet: clean fresh aquatic. Reminds me of HoM or BoN without the amber mirror frames, or wooden base for the nails.

Dry down: still clean fresh aquatic. Though something funky is trying to peep through, almost like rotten plants. :D

30 minutes: the funk goes away with reapplication.

Conclusion: I love Beth's aquatics, so this was a no brainer. Even with the funk, I am not daunted. I love this and reapplying is no problem.

Rating 1-5: 4

In the Imp (wet): Very unisex. Reminds me a little of Old Spice with lemon. Citrusy and really fresh.

On facial cotton (dry): I like how crispy it is, but it's reminding me of air freshner. If I smell it further away, the notes are much softer and I get more florals. Spring comes to mind.

On me: My skin seems to amp the light floral notes. Not sure if that's a good thing. Lemon comes out too, but much more gently. It reminds me of a salty sea breeze. Another scent I might try to wear to work, since this is fairly strong.

smells like cheap bath salts. or possibly windex. i am beginning to think that ozone and i don't get along.

This isn't really my type of scent, so I'm really inexperienced at picking out these types of notes. Hence, a review of general impressions:

This smells really fresh and clean. What I guess is a mix of ozone and acquatics. Ocasionally i feel like i'm smelling some sort of not-too-sweet fruit--like a citrus, maybe? It lasts for quite a while, has very good throw, and smells crisp and clean.

I think this reminds me more of gentle fresh showers than full-on tempests, but it is a pretty scent. But since it strikes me as a bit "department store" and its not my favored genre, it has found its way into my swap pile.

Eh... OK, this smells like shampoo and a public swimming pool on my wrist. Bummer! Szepasszony is a more likeable rain scent, IMO..

Cool ozone notes like cucumber and tea mingle with an upbeat citrus twang in this pretty scent.

It goes on cool and wet, a strongly aquatic aroma reminiscent of shower gel and ultra-clean soap. It's a bit lime-like, pleasantly unisex, but not sexual.

A good smell, and a good choice for all-occasion wear.

I expected to really love this one. After all, it's a cousin to my beloved Thunder Moon.

In the bottle, it smells like a storm. In the most lovely of ways.

When I first put it on, the wet smell was "oh my heavens OZONE!!!" like whacking me over the head with a 2x4. It gave me a horrible headache and made my throat raw, just from the smell.

Just as I was about to give up on it, it dried. and it was so nice. Definitely like a storm at sea. I really enjoyed it after that point. The ozone was nice and faint, just enough to be noticed, not enough to cause problems. And it had a light salty sea smell.

It's good in the end, but I'm just not willing to put up with the headache it takes to get there, alas.

Tempest is a light but firm blend. To me it's smells of nothing but the sea; a fresh slightly salty oceanic scent with an ever so slightly rotting wood note lying underneath. I think it's quite an amazingly accurate ocean blend. Not sure if I'll ever need a big bottle, but this still works for me.

Initial impression:

It is fresh! Fresh, crisp, and – fruity! Like a newly split pear or melon, just not as sweet.

First on:

Now it smells like a freshly cut apple – it smells like the natural juicy ”flesh” of an apple. Mmmm. Or like apple peel – this is so cool.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, the fruityness has gone a little citrus on me, but it's still a very crisp scent.

20-30 mins after application, it smells exactly like aftershave, heh. I think the boyfriend will enjoy it, though!

Finally:

Once again, not me ”me” scent, but I got it for the boyfriend to try. :P A fascinating scent overall!

We got Tempest as an imp today, and we can't stop sniffing our wrists!

Katie: This was a little too sharp for me, so I passed it off to Mike. He loves the rain!! I would love to use this as a room scent. This seems to get a little sharper on Mike's wrists but it smells amazing.

Mike: It's rain, straight up. Rain and sunshine. I like this, and this would be a very good room scent. A bathroom scent.

Very light ozone from the imp. Fresh and watery, with a gentle sweetness.

On the skin, the florals in this overtake the gorgeous ozone and get a bit sodden and unpleasant. I can't really pick out which florals they are, as they smell fairly nondescript on me.

As this dries, the flowers back away to let the ozone come forward again, and this phase is very pretty. It has a breezy, wet throw, and smells more like light rain on a garden after a brief summer downpour.

Evocative, yes - but I'm not loving this. The floral is what ruins this for me. I was hoping for Thunder Moon lite, but the florals are far too dominant, reminding me far too much of a bathroom freshener.

Swaps.

I'm not terribly familiar with common perfume notes, so I thought ozone would smell like that scent that comes in just before the rain... as I later discovered, that smell is actually due to soil bacteria reacting to the change in humidity, and there's no hint at all of that smell in Tempest.

Instead, Tempest is a very clean, somewhat floral, "breeze" scent that makes me sneeze. It really does evoke the image of a thunderstorm rolling in, whipping up a strong wind from the lake... but at the same time, that cleanness makes it sort of the Platonic ideal of laundry detergent and fabric softener, especially in the stronger wet stages.

Dry, this goes a little bitter on me. It also fades fast. It'd make a better room scent than perfume, I think, unless you need to fake wearing freshly-washed clothes...

This is that clean scent — not the "linen" candle scent, but the actual way it smells. I see this as just after a regular rain, though. It's a definite mood kind of thing. It becomes kinda lemony.

This was one of the first scents I ever tried. I didn't keep it, then ended up with it as a frimp not long ago. The best way for me to critique this is to compare it to Lightning. Let's do it SAT style!

Tempest : Water :: Lightning : Air

Really. It's wet ozone. If you liked Lightning and want something more aquatic, go for Tempest.

Time's up. Pencil's down.

Another fickle aquatic experience :D This was purely soap and industrial cleaning products for me, with just the tee-ninsiest hint of "the good stuff" that I was itching for... I need more true salt/briney seaweed/ozone/rain/dirt... Oh lawdy, lawdy... Nose, skin... work with me, here... :P

This smell makes me so happy!

It's exactly what it says it is.

I wear it and I totally become apart of this scence were I'm on a pier watching a thunderstorm roll over the skys.

Beautiful smell!

Another that was a frimp in my most recent order.

First of all, I LOVE aquatics. Love them, and can't get enough of them. They give me the impression of being sort of clean and crystallized when I catch whiffs of them.

Initial impression in the imp: Sort of lemony at first. Clean. AND... I already got a stain on the imp. DAMMIT! Impish little imps.

The lemon note (to my nose anyway) is still there, but here comes the rain again ozone. FRESH. Like it's going to rain in the room.

My skin is just piping up with lemon and more lemon, with some ozone underneath. Curiously, I started sniffing this one last night and was suddenly sleepier than I remembered. I sat down in the chair and fell asleep in it. So there's potential here to be one of my "calm down" blends.

So, fast forward to this morning. This is now an aquatic ozone blend at its best. It hasn't gone all soap, or chemicals or only dried down to any floral components (all problems I've had with aquatics in the past). In fact, I like it better now, and can still smell it on my skin as if it was rather recently applied rather than almost 8 hours ago.

I'm going to slather from my imp some more. I think a mood will eventually hit me for this one, but I can't say right now that I'm going to get a bottle.

This is floral, pleasant, but floral. It is a smell cousin to embalming fluid. I do like how much edgier it is than most florals. I really like the ozone edge. I am tempted to keep it for it's peculiar charms, though I'm unlikely to buy more.