Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

First sniff: Utterly gorgeous. A storm rolling in over the Chesapeake when you can watch the lightning come in from miles away across the bay – very fresh and windy with the cool blue-green scent of salt air.

Wearing: A whisper of citrus on the breeze. Soft turquoise. Faded quickly – I'll put more on next time and hope it sticks a bit better. Failing that, I might be persuaded to carry a bottle at all times so I could top it up, because it really is gorgeous.

Utterly gorgeous.  A storm rolling in over the Chesapeake when you can watch the lightning come in from miles away across the bay – very fresh and windy with the cool blue-green scent of salt air.

yes!! it's definitely more a storm by a large body of water than a storm in the middle of the plains.

Inital Thoughts

It smells like a clean crisp wind before the storm. Very very fresh.

After wearing it

Oh so very nice but it fades SO quickly!! It didn't smell citrusy at all on me, more clean. It really has captured the scent you get right before a storm. Conjures up images of standing on a cliff with the wind blowing hard and watching the waves crash beneath your feet.

I just wish it vibed completely with my body chemistry..somethings a bit off. I'll give it one more chance.

I can't make up my mind about Tempest; I'm obviously going to have to try it a few more times. Sometimes it smells to me like laundry detergent with a light white floral, and sometimes it's just clear, flowing, crispness.

The crispness is a wonderful thing. The jury is still out, however, on the white floral/laundry detergent possibility. I'll have to come back to this one and update when I make up my mind.

wet ~ This oil smells like a tropical area after a rain. It reminds me of when my mother took me to Paradise Island in the Bahamas right before I started college.

drying ~ I'm getting less of a floral note, now, and am thinking more of big, wet, waxy leaves. There's a slight undercurrent of damp earth, too.

dry ~ This smells naughty. You know all those ads that have couples on tropical beaches frolicking in the waves, holding hands and giving each other knowing looks? That kind of "let's go off into the foliage" naughty.

later ~ Floral and earthy. Sophisticated. This is an oil with bedroom eyes.

afterthoughts ~ This puppy is strong. I have Undertow on my neck, behind my ears and on my other wrist, and all I can smell is Tempest.

final thoughts ~ Rampant tropical naughtiness! I like it!

Edited by byrdie

I am wondering if there is a touch of pine in this? I mean its very floral, but it has that early morning dew foresty scent in it as well. I didnt think I would like this one at first but once I put it on I could truly experience its intensity... I might get a big bottle of this one...

I can smell a very distinct lemon note in this, but a bit bitter, like lemon peel. Smells a bit like pine, mint and salt too, very fresh.

Oops, I posted a review for Banshee here by accident. I will try Tempest tomorrow and then post it here.

OK, I'm back.

Out of the bottle comes a sharp, clean, slightly sweet citrusy scent, like grapefruit or pomelo.

On application it becomes more citrus and less sharp, but as time goes by the grapefruit note comes out strongly again and dominates everything else. It's not a grapefruit juice smell, but a fresh grapefruit smell, like when you're peeling a grapefruit and that tiny mist sprays out of the peel. It really reminds me of the smell of grapefruit pith and the oil in the skin rather than the juice. It's a kind of bitter, clean, sharp citrus scent that somehow seems dry rather than wet.

Although everyone else so far has said that it fades quickly on them, this one stayed strong on me and lasted a good 12 hours.

I don't know if I'd order a whole bottle of this, because for me it it's a bit too sharp to be an everyday scent, but I'll keep my imp's ear for days when I need an extra shot of Vitamin C.

Edited by ladylatemar

On me, this is pretty similar to Jolly Roger (and that's a very good thing!)

Fresh, salty, a bit tropical with a hint of citrus. Gorgeous! :P

This one is a bit like Jolly Roger. I have a good trifecta going with Jolly Roger, Lightning, and Tempest--and I would rank them in that order, too.

The only word to describe Tempest is "crisp". I haven't seen it posted upthread but I almost thought I had a tiny whiff of lilac out of the bottle (which is a good thing since I love lilac). Hmmm. I only wish Tempest had the staying power on me like Lightning. Ah, well. It's a keeper nonetheless.

I always loved the way it smells just before it rains, and I especially adore the way it smells the day after the rains -- all fresh and clean. So I had to give this a try.

In the Bottle

This has a really indescribable scent, which is odd for me to say. Normally I'm all description. It smells fresh, yes, and crisp, just like I was expecting it too. But it also smelled a bit heavier and more perfume like than I was imagining.

Wearing It

At first the scent was very strong, and as it dried down it picked up a bit of a lemony scent. It was still fresh and crisp, and still just as hard to describe. I couldn't decide whether I liked it, mainly because it still wasn't matching up with what I had imagined for it. Perhaps it wasn't as wet as I wanted it to be. But it still smelled very good.

When I still couldn't figure out what it smelled like, and still wasn't sure whether I liked it, I started asking my sister and her boyfriend what they thought. Her boyfriend before sniffing my wrist said, "Oh yeah, I smelled that when you came it. It smells really good." My sister agreed, and couldn't help me in the least in terms of figuring out what it smelled like. She suggested a really light floral, but too light to really be flowery.

The scent lasted strongly for at least three or four hours, until it died down. Although it does last a while, the scent is so light that it's hard to notice once it's died down.

While it does smell very, very nice (everyone who's smelled it today has agreed on this -- and I have harrassed a fair number of people into smelling my wrists), I don't think it's a scent that I'd wear in the future.

This to me is the smell of very humid air...the clouds are almost ready to burst. It's very light...crisp...dreamy. I love it. There is an element of citrus here...perhaps bergamot?

This is a lovely surprise, SO much more to me than ozone and a storm coming... in the vial, it is the sweetest, loveliest aquatic I've ever smelled. On my wrists, it's very citrusy. As I wait after dabbing it on I can smell the ozone coming out just a tiny bit more. But it's still beautifully citrusy, sharpened by a bit of fragrant wood -- maybe the pine others have suggested, maybe balsam or cedar. As it dries it veers a bit close to dryer-sheet territory, but that is something I honestly don't mind in a perfume. I *like* smelling clean, and clean this is. With the citrus plus the pine plus the ozone, it really does smell like freshly washed white sheets drying in the sun and breeze, but it also smells like the surf on a tropical island... all in all it's a lovely clean citrus scent, one I will love wearing.

ETA: That is if I hadn't just spilled my entire imp all over my legs in an attempt to get more on the outside of the back of my upper arm.....

oh well, I smell really good now!

Edited by Ms. MSGirl

In the Bottle: Sharp and clean with another scent that reminded me of a lemon rind.

Wet: More flowery, clean, but still with an edge.

Dry: I'm not sure about this one. I like it, but that lemon rind thing keeps bugging me. Very pretty though.

At first when I got this, I was like "wow, this smells just like the air right before a storm, very cool!" - but then I recognized the grapefruit note in it, and now all I can think is "ozoney grapefruit peel" when I smell it. Which isn't as good. :P

I still like it, but it's not my favorite aquatic scent.

First sniff, I was intrigued, even admiring -- rain on the ocean, cleansing wind. On my skin, it was nothing but a piercing headache. Up for swap with this one!

In the bottle, it's very ozone-y, tangy and salty. On, after a few minutes, it's less salty and ozone-y, I suppose there is citrus there, but all I can think of is how it smells like water slamming against some rocks in the night. The ozone isn't overwhelming and this is pretty strong. When I went to sleep wearing this, I woke up eight or nine hours later, and I could still smell it. It wasn't very strong by then, but it was a sweeter, lighter, more feminine (the ozone had died down) version of this.

Edited by malanna

My favorite of the ozone scents! It stays clearer and fresher than Lightning, which before Tempest was my favorite ozone scent. This doesn't have the faintly soapy drydown scent that Lightning has. Tempest is a clear field after a thunderstorm with lightning still in the air and rain-washed clean, whereas Lightning is like taking a shower outside after a thunderstorm.

Tempest to me smells like the Shakespearean island from the eponymous play. It’s like the smell of the water carried in the wind after the storm. It’s filled with the odors of crushed verdure and a brush stroke of citrus from a storm-bruised orange grove Prospero planted to remind him of his Italian homeland. I get all of that and the open ozone note that makes the floral and citrus bloom on my skin and cast their nets wide.

This is a very clean fragrance, but to my nose the citrus keeps the scent from entering ‘dryer sheet’ territory. I’m not sure I’ll be buying a larger bottle but I will use up the imp I have and then consider getting another one in the spring.

Beautiful and vibrant turquoise scent. Usually I love aquatic scents and have no problem with them but for whatever reason this is very emotionally upsetting to me. To my conscious mind it smells exactly like the Holland beaches I played on as a child, but under that is something very sad. My heart chakra opens right up when I wear this. I was going to try Tears but after this I'm a little frightened to do so.

In the Bottle: Bounce dryer sheets:) Another scent that makes me think of laundry. God, I've got to do laundry today. If this is the type of reminder that I get, I'll be a happy camper.

On Me: Its a slight rain scent, but very crisp and clean. A dryer sheet, laundry detergent smell. I like this a lot. But it does start to fade rather quickly. I don't think that its necissarily a "after the rain" scent, at least not here. It has a decidedly green tinge to it, though its very pastel green. It kinda remindes me of the green of the ocean (and yes, it looks green). Just the color, not the smell. But totally aquatic. I like:)

Really just got this scent because of the beautiful description. This is salty, sweet to me. I am reminded of the ocean (I live in San Diego) I'm also smelling maybe just a hint of lime? Wow, I'm blown away. This is a keeper. I don't know if I want a bigger bottle, but I'll definitely keep an imp around.

Hrm.. a fresh clean scent, almost citrussy in the bottle. This is the scent of a fresh, strong breeze off the ocean, maybe a little less salty. It's lovely and clean, but tends to powder out a bit. A lot of ozone and cleaness and while lovely I'm still deciding if I'd wear it enough to keep it.

In the bottle, this does smell sort of crisp. On me, the first impression is "green". There's definitely some water in there, but it's more like light rain on grass, or the smell/taste of water from the garden hose. (Which I happen to like, so that's not a downside!) After 6 hours, it hasn't changed much. Not very tempest-y at all; this reads as more of a peaceful scent to me, like a gentle spring shower. I'm not madly in love with it, but I definitely like it.

And once again, R. finds it eye-wateringly obnoxious. *sigh* Another one for the "not while he's around" pile, I fear.

Tempest is incredible clean and subtle. I could see this one being a wonderful after shower scent. It fairly reminiscent of Lightning though I couldn't tell you the difference without having both in front of me. The SO loves this one. After about 20 minutes it gets slightly soapy, which he still likes. "You smell like you just washed your hands." This is not exactly what I look for in a fragrance, but it is still very nice.