Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

Firstly, a very sharp ozone. It dried down to more ozone with a bit of saltwater thrown in the back, but was crisp and clean overall. I'd tried Lightning a couple weeks before and this seemed so similar that I did a little experiment later in the evening, putting Tempest on one wrist and Lightning on the other. I honestly couldn't tell the difference, scent-wise. They both had a strong ozone, aquaticness about them, but the Lightning seemed a bit stronger and had more staying power. By the time bedtime rolled around, the Tempest was but the memory of a summer storm, but the Lightning was still crackling. I think I'll love them both as a mother would love her twins of different temperments.

ETA: Lab description. Edited by Shollin

This is definitely an ozone scent--upon sniffing, I immediately get the urge to sneeze! As it dries, I can detect a verdant note behind this, trees next to freshwater. It strikes me as cold and a little bitter, but the ozone tempers it.

I'd expect a little more salt from this, given the name, but it does otherwise seem like a stormy type of scent. There's actually a bit of a thunderstorm brewing outside right now, and this matches the mood perfectly.

another story review:

imp: green. like wet grass and leaves, and rain soaked concrete faintly beneath it. walking home from school with the gutters rushing beside you, a book tucked under your coat to protect it from the wet while the rest of you gets drenched, watching debris fly down the gutters--fresh green leaves beaten off the branches by hail, and raindrops pelting into puddles hard as stones.

wet: it's raining too hard, and in desperation you seek refuge under an evergreen, leaning under its branches for a bit of shelter, and the drops don't fly here. fallen dry needles break and their sharp sap wafts up into your nose, overpowering everything else.

Long ago, someone drew patterns into the falleen needles with a stick, their lines barely a divot now. they go all the way round the trunk, faded, but still intricate as writing.

20 minutes: you wander around the base of the tree trying to make out what that pattern in the needles is, but the lines blur and twist on themselves. you have a headache from trying to make sense of it all. you duck a particularly low branch, and the scent of rot crawls up your nose, a flash of roiling, sickly white admidst heather flocked fur.

you back out from under the tree, fighting nausea, and wish the whole experience would go away.

I'm washing this off. ugh.

Tempest

I should learn my lesson and stay far away from the aquatic/ozone. As the rest of them, Tempest is citrusy fresh à la cleaning agent, fake and sharp. Men's deodorant or herbal schampoo.

Ozone? No wonder this was faintly headache-inducing. I think I have a bit of an allergy to ozone notes, whatever's in them.

I didn't pick out the ozone until I read the Lab's description--though it does make sense, now that I recall the headache. What this really made me think of, actually, once it hit my skin and morphed like crazy, was something like Emeraude or one of the other heavy floral perfumes my grandmother used to give me for Christmas. Alas, I think this one does not work on my skin.

It's green and sharp and could very well be interesting on someone else.

Edited by lady_pandora

Bottle: fresh and aquatic. very much like that pre-storm-ness..I love that smell.

Wet: (I spilled it all over myself. heh.) sweeter, some white floral, I think..a lighter one, tho. has lost some of that initial match with description, but still pleasant enough.

Dry: it's sweetening, grabs me between the eyebrows as it shoots through my sinuses. yee-ow.

Later: I can't wait quite til later, it's just continuing to get more sharp sweetness as time passes. must wash. I loved it in the vial, tho.

In the bottle: A very fresh, sweet and crisp ozone.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, I think that there are some florals in there, like daisies, and some green.

Drydown: Very green moist grass, with a pleasant sweetness hanging around it. It does have a bit of a "room deodoriser" smell to me. There's a mix of vague florals with green notes, making it slightly bitter as well as quite sweet. It ends in a very fresh, rainy and metallic scent, which is lovely, but still stifled by the sweetness.

Overall: I know that it reminds me of another perfume, and afrer a while thinking, I believe that Anais Anais by Cacharel smells a hell of a lot like this on me. It's been a long time since I've smelled it, but this scent is triggering lots of memories. Unfortunately, just like Anais Anais, this scent is too sour for me, and has a "toilet deodoriser" vibe to it. Pity. (and it lasts and lasts - 24 hours, people! that's staying power)

Edited by Meg

In the vial: clean ozone

On the skin: it's an aquatic, there's not question of that. This reminds me of Hurricane, but it's not as strong as Hurricane and doesn't give me such a headache. There's something sensual about it, very clean. It's a toss up; I like it, but I don't see myself wearing it often.

In the bottle: Crisp ozone with an aquatic/green background. There is a slight mossy hint with a touch of sea-saltyness as well.

Upon the skin: Ozone and aquatic notes emerge first, then fade to the background as citrusy and floral hints come to the fore. Top notes give way to a lovely fresh scent that lingers delicately. Truly lovely and really does fit its name.

Glass scents give me a headache. This scent reminded me of Sea of Glass, but didn't give me a headache. It's a sharp, almost marine aquatic note. Like salt and wet earth but sharp. It doesn't give me a headache.

For those on whom glass doesn't work, Ozone is a great replacement. I don't know if I'd buy this, but I might. It's poignant. I want more ozone scents :P

i'm a big fan of any of the "sea" scents that I have tested so far (Empyreal Mist, Sea of Glass, and City in the Sea)... and this is no exception!

A very airy water scent... like a crisp wet breeze... but has a hint of flowers behind it. A little bit sweeter than the other scents I listed above...

GORGEOUS!! :P

The first whiff was ozone and wet yards in the spring. On application it became Irish Spring soap and stayed that way for about an hour. After the first hour it tamed and sweetened a bit, but stayed quite soapy. I was hoping for a thunderstorm, but instead I got "generic rain fresh soap scent". Rats.

Overall this is very clean and lovely! There is something slightly fruity/citrusy in the bottle that sticks around as it dries. Its an elusive scent and hard to explain - its an aquatic but a rainy aquatic rather than an ocean aquatic.. It does have that heady ozoney smell before a big storm, but its tempered by something powdery sweet, like flowers waiting to get rained on.

This doesn't smell much like ozone to me, but it does smell breezy. There's kind of a citrus scent to it as well. It smells much brighter than most ozone scents.

Apparently, ozone type scents and my nose are not in agreement. While Tempest doesn't smell bad per se, it smells like fresh scent dryer sheets, not something I strive to scent myself like on a regular basis.

I suspect this wee imp will be a gift to one of my friends.

Tempest is the first of Beth's ozone-scents I ever tried. I don't usually go for this type of fragrance, but it was included as a frimp with an order, and I always try the frimps because sometimes scents I think I wouldn't like turn out to be my favorites. When I first applied this, it smelled crisp and clean, and kind of like fabric softener. Upon dry down, it definitely has a sea-salt scent to it that actually reminds me of the cold winter ocean in New England. It's very soft and subtle and stays close to my skin. It's certainly not an offensive scent, but it's definitely not me, and it's actually pretty boring. I won't be repurchasing and I swapped the imp to someone who enjoys the ozone-aquatic scents more than I do.

Imp: Ozone. Cold and fresh; smells white, but I'm not sure what's doing that yet.

Wet: More ozone, and something wet and windy.

Drydown: There's something white-floral under the rain-smell, possibly daisies or even lily of the valley?

1 hour: Fresh and ozoney and floral, but doesn't feel warmed by my skin at all.

3 hours: Restrained white floral with an undertone of salt and lemon pith (not peel).

Verdict: Meh. I'll hold onto the imp for a while, but I've got a lot of aquatic/ozone imps to work through before I come back to this one. It stayed very impersonal on me with only a little change as it settled in. Distant and unengaged.

In the imp - A heavy rain, definitely by the sea. I compared this one to Lightning - this one is not a classically sweet scent, but it is sweeter than Lightning.

Wet - Definitely rain – maybe a little bit of lavender, but not unbearably so (I'm not a fan of lavender!) – some lilac perhaps? Nothing resembling citrus.

Dry - There is something oceanic about this. Something like the scent of a stone or a shell made smooth by the sea. It's neither masculine nor feminine. It reminds me of being in one of those shops that most touristy seaside towns have where you can buy shells, t-shirts with the name of the town on them, postcards, little glass lighthouses, etc. This has the secnt of a store like that.

I really like both this one and Lightning - while that one is the scent of the air before a storm, this is a heavy rain by the ocean.

Edited by copyshopclerk

In the imp this was a crisp scent full of promise. On my skin it smelled overpoweringly like fake Irish Spring soap, enough so that I dashed for the sink to wash it off. Meh.

Tempest is a wonderfully clean smell. Unfortunately on me it smells like a very nice, well crafted version of a man's deodorant. Which sucks, because I really, really wanted to love this one.

Alas, off to the swaps.

In the imp: slightly soapy butch male aftershave-ish aquatic.

On me, wet: salt, and ozone, and an almost melon-ish aquatic. Very fresh but still sort of masculine, and very like a darker Sea of Glass.

On me, dry: quite a lot of melon and sharp green aquatic. This has mellowed to something just *slightly* sweet but still crisp and tangy. The ozone is really the strongest element, though.

Verdict: Sea of Glass is a nicer ozone on me - this does have that fresh melon edge behind it, but it's also slightly soapy to me, so, swap pile.

In the bottle: Vitabath, or some overly herbal shower preparation my mom had when I was a kid. Just enough sharpness to give me a negative impression because it's more like the sharpness of herbal soap (and because what I was expecting was rain.)

On me: My fellow said it smelled sort of like ozone, but I didn't get that. Or rain, or breeze. It's not a bad smell, you know? But it's not RAIN. It's a little floral (but very light, not flowery.) Like a classy floral dryer sheet. I'm not a floral kind of girl, but this would be the one to go for if I was, because it's not childish or heavy. Oh well, guess I'll go on searching for that smell of petrichor....

first whiff- wow. very clean, fresh, and definitely oceanic.

on me - i can see where others are getting the 'irish spring' reference, but i actually kind of like it. it does have a bit of the soapy smell, but it reminds me more of playing on the beach, the wind laden with salt water and the tang of a coming storm.

this one's a keeper.

Wow. This one is amazing. The first real aquatic-smelling one I've come across. Back when I was little there was some air freshener or perfume, I can't remember exactly what it was, but it was called "Sea Foam Green" and it smelled fantastic. That's what this reminds me of.