Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

Tempest is what Yanke Candle's Stormwatch scent wishes it was -- ozone with big florals and an undercurrent of citrus.

However, as much as I love Stormwatch and Tempest, after a while, they both smell like laundry detergent to me, so off to swap Tempest goes.

Got this as a freebie from the Lab in my latest order. :D

First sniff:

Ozone. This smells like what I imagined Lightning would smell like...it smells more like lightning than Lightning does. :D

There's a hint of something else aquatic under the ozone but I've never been able to pinpoint those particular notes. I love the smell of a good thunderstorm and, so far, this is right on the money. :P

Wet on skin:

Almost lemony smelling when it hits my skin, but it settles back down into a pure aquatic/ozone scent almost immediately. This is very fresh and clean smelling, definitely a good after-shower scent.

Dry down:

No change from it beign wet. It's clean and almost metallic smelling with the ozone popping out of it and making me feel like I've just walked outside after a storm. The unfortunate thing is that while I love the smell of a good thunderstorm in general, it doesn't seem to work on my skin for some reason. It's not that it turns into something unpleasant, it just doesn't work if that makes sense. :D

The bottom line:

As much as I love thunderstorms, I'm learning that aquatic scents generally don't work for me. I like the way they smell but end up gravitating back towards heavier resin and woodsy scents. Off to swap with it, I guess. :D

I wanted so much to like this after reading the reviews, but all I got was soap. No lightning, no ozone, no crisp breeze... It smelled kind of like a really strong laundry detergent to me- and not a good one either... . I'll definately be putting this one up for swap on MUA.

Tempest, at first, was one I really liked. The scent was crisp and reminiscent of grapefruit. Yum!

But, within about fifteen or thirty minutes, I was plunged away from the light tang into the ocean. Bwaaah! I smelled like sea spray! It was making me a bit sick in the stomach, but that could have also been my period. Either way, I regretted putting the amount I had originally put on, which wasn't much.

It lasted probably two hours on me, in the end making me smell like salty air. I'm not fond of it, but I know many people who fancy the ocean air.

Not me.

-doreen

This is one of the few scents that smells almost identical on as it did in the bottle. It's also a scent-memory scent. I can close my eyes and be transported to the middle of a thunderstorm, or to a boat in a rainstorm. It also brings back the memory of clean sheets.

I don't think I would wear this every day, but I want to hang onto it when I need to be in a different place.

Suprisingly, this doesn't seem to fade much either. Huh. :P

As a lifelong "fancier of ocean air," I have to say that this one is one of my favorites. I don't get any citrus or floral at all - on me this smells EXACTLY like swimming/sailing in the ocean during a rainstorm. And I can't imagine anything that smells better to me than that.

I'm going to have to get a 10ml of this. I think the smell of it relaxes me so much that it's probably a better sleep blend for me than even Somnus!!!

Tempest lives up to it's description. A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm. It smells just like that on me. I don't smell a large difference after it dries, except for a little more soapy.

The slight soapy smell just makes me feel fresh and clean. I like this scent.

I was really disappointed in this one.

I sniffed it in the bottle and liked the clear and citrus-ish notes... Very excited to try it, I applied it!

Then it went soapyish. I could bairly smell other notes under it. Just clean and generic soap.

:P

I wanted this one so much to work on me... The Tempest is a fave play of mine, and I love storms. *sigh* oh well. I'll try it once more and if it works the same way, it's off to swapping!

Sweaty citrus?

It is a sensual citrus with bite. When I think rainstorm, I never think citrus. It is more of a swampy dirt tar like smell. When I think Ocean, I think of AIRS Ocean and its salty goodness. So, though it smells good to me, it doesn't bring up any rain or ocean memories to me.

I do like this. I tend to want to sniff my wrist when it is on me. It smells like a lemon wedge with a little kick.

Edited by Madame Nyx

It is definitely like Yankee Candle's Storm Watch! I was just thinking that would make a great perfume, and here it is. It's reminiscent of a summer evening beach and perhaps white flowers on me. Very clean and pure; it lacks the 'danger' of Jolly Roger. I haven't had it on very long, but it seems to be lasting well for the amount I put on.

It's very pretty and light. It would make a super summer perfume.

In the bottle: A slightly floral aquatic. Pretty inobtrusive.

Wearing: Hmm. I smell the rain, but I also smell the flowers and something that makes it not smell like a rainy day. Kind of synthetic smelling, but not quite air freshener. For some reason I never get much ozone in these ozone scents.

Later: Well, I wore this to bed last night, and when I awoke it was still there. It smelled a lot like Sea of Glass, only not as citrusy or floral. It's very fresh and clean, but not really me. If the cap hadn't arrived damaged, I would swap it off. Maybe it's the perfume gods' way of telling me to keep it for later? I will wear it when I know for sure that I'm in good health and see what it does then.

I generally don't know what to think when I get one of the Water/Ozone BPAL scents. Some of them I love, some of them don't work on me.

Of all the water/Ozone scents I think I like Tempest the best because it doesn't just lay there, it's a little more electrifying, if you will, to my nose.

I love the negative ion effect of a thunderstorm and I think Beth captured that in a bottle.

This doesn't have that sour note that some aquatic blends do on my skin.

There are scents I wear because they are "pretty" and there are scents I wear not because I love the scent necessarily but because they do something to me.

This does something to me. I would buy another imp or 5ml of this.

In the bottle - Mmmmm, I like this! Smells like ocean air right before it starts to rain, with underlying citrus note

On me - Uhhh, it smells like Honeydew melon. No one has mentioned anything yet about this scent smelling like Honeydew, so I'm wondering if my nose is broken. I like this, definately, but it's not what I was expecting.

I'm going to have to try this again. If anyone else smells Honeydew, please post your findings, as right now I think I'm going nuts!

this is very clean, a storm rolling in on a beach, a summer storm, the kind you like to sit and watch. there is a slight citrussy note to this, i am not one for ozone type scenrts but this is masterfully crafted and smells devine, i would consider using this for a room scent to capture the beach smell.

in bottle: breeze through a wet forest

on skin: the airy and rain notes i first picked up totally disappeared. it's very crisp..and i guess it's the "ozone" i smell that's giving me a headache.

this one's just not for me. swapped.

Delectable! It's a tangier version of Sea of Glass -- if Sea of Glass is a tranquil ocean, Tempest is its wild counterpart -- but light; a windy day but not a dark one.

There's not much sweetness to it. It smells almost, but not quite, like a light citrus. I suppose ozone defies description, but Tempest is definitely in keeping with the Lab's usual ozone scent.

Very ozone/aquatic...not as insanely ozone as Storm Moon, but still strong. It smells detergenty, like most aquatics/ozone scents, but not as much as most others. This is the scent of strong winds laden with rain.

TEMPEST

Bottle: The ozone is very much there. Reminds me of spring rains cresting over the mountains while the sky is heavy and roiling waiting to let loose a torrent. There's a note of citrus, almost like the rains are causing every lemon and navel orange in an orange to sweat their oils through their skins and that mixes with the ozone.

Wet: Breezes rattling the lemon trees, tossing fruit to the ground, releasing their oils. The lemon leaves as well, it has a note of green to it, like the tree is being thrashed by violent winds in a rush to hurry the storm nearer. The ozone crackles with lightning in the distance.

15 minutes later: The ozone tang has died back a bit and the smell is just of clean rain that has swept through an orchard.

First sniff:

Very delicate, fresh, watery and a bit sweet, but sweet like pink grapefruit, not floral.

On my skin:

So light and delicate, I have to check a few times to make sure I’m even wearing it. Slightly sharp grapefruit smell quickly shifts to something less definable . . . the scent of freshness and clarity, not stormy, but what the storm blows into being, a sense of alertness, aliveness, awareness.

Later:

This is getting stronger as my skin warms it, and I’m glad I didn’t go put on more. Is the storm building? Maybe that freshening breeze was only the beginning. . .

On me, this is definitely an Air scent, not a Water scent. I think I wanted it to be more ocean and less mist, more rain and less ozone. There is a tension in this scent, like waiting for something to happen. And I can’t really decide if that’s a good thing or not. As Willy Wonka says: “The suspense is terrible. . . I hope it lasts.”

Final analysis:

This turned all sharp-perfumey on me -- I think it's going in the swap pile.

Edited by oakmoss

In the imp: Fresh! Hard to put my finger on it, but aggressively fresh.

Initial application: Floral and dark and fresh, like the wind ahead of a thunderstorm, blowing over white flowers. My first thought was that this is the 'fresh' scent that laundry companies try but don't quite manage to fake for fabric softener and detergent.

Drydown: The floral recedes into the background, making way for a pure, clean, dark aquatic/ozone scent. It gives me the impression of lying in bed on freshly-laundered, cool white sheets with all the windows open to a raging thunderstorm. Definitely a keeper! The boy, with his less-attuned nose, sniffed me and said "Soap!", but he liked it a lot too.

This smells like being outside during a storm. There’s the tang in the air, the rain, and the scent of wet foliage. Unfortunately I have the same problem with it as with Undertow, although not as much, where it turns sweet on my skin and ends up smelling kind of like a pina colada, which is disappointing because I really like how fresh and clean it smells in the bottle. No one else has mentioned this so I assume it’s just a weird body chemistry thing. Luckily, I don’t have that reaction with Lightning, so it’s my preferred “stormy” scent.

This is very strongly a white-floral scent to me. It reminds me of dryer sheets, or of Yankee Candles' "Wedding Day" scent. Nice if you like that sort of scent, but I'm not a white-floral person. Off to swaps!

ETA: This was a giftimp from the lab. Thank you, lab! *hugs*

Edited by Shollin

It's very fresh and energising, and it really smells like rain, but I don't think it suits me very well. Anyway, I put it on and felt like us kids always did before a November tropical storm in Sydney; antsy and hyperactive. I might use it as a room scent! It also didn't seem to last very long. Maybe a couple of hours, if that.

Also, I really liked how it *almost* captured the smell the wet footpaths gave off on our street, all wet and green smelling after the first drench of rain.

Wet, this smells fantastic. I adore Beth's aquatics.

But, as others have noted, something happens during the dry-down. It turns smoldering - and not in the oooh, sexy way. It is a slow burn smell, and it's not nice on my skin. Yikes.

And then, after a few hours, we're back to goreous (though faint). Whatever hated my chemistry retreated (yay).

The funky period in this blend is too much for me - but I'm thinking that DH may rock this. It shall stay around for a bit.

ETA - if DH does not like this, it is a primo room scent.

Edited by Lit Chick

In the vial: lemon/ozone, sharp like that whack of wind that sweeps before the rain.

Wet: the ozone comes out more over the lemon, and this is the first few raindrops falling, the grass rippling and leaves bruising. Very, very fresh. A lot of throw at this stage

drying down: the grassy smell remains, a meadow beaten down and glinting with droplets. Doesn't last very long, though, after an hour I can't even really smell it where it was applied any more unless it's really humid--when it's sticky, it stays on better, so maybe it would be a good fresh summer scent?

Verdict: Beautiful, but not going to replace Sea of Glass in my heart any time soon. Sometimes it makes me headachy, and I don't have that trouble with Sea, not sure which note does it.