Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

Apparently ozone to my nose is static. Like at night, under a fleece blanket, you running your hands along it and making sparks in the darkness. Gives me a slight headache.

Ozone soap. "Fresh rain" kind of scents are perfectly inoffensive, and do smell pleasant to me, but it's just not what I'm looking for from BPAL usually. This dryer sheet smell can be had from dryer sheets. ;)

Almost exactly like Lightning.

I think I put too much of this on... I couldn't smell much at first, so I merrily slathered away, and now I smell like I fairly marinated myself in the stuff. And it lasts well.

I was baffled as to how you'd get the smell of a rainstorm in a bottle, but this does have an appealing wet-asphalt sort of feel to it. I like it well enough (admittedly I would use less in future!). TBH though, I think this would smell nicer on a man.

:::TEMPEST:::

Tempest is so incredibly... wow. Tempest is one of those fragrances that sets the imagination ablaze...

Mere scribbling will do very little to encapsulate the actual experience had when first encountering Tempest.

Tempest is very much like Lightning, though somehow, (impossibly) CLEANER.

While Lightning seems to be the stuff blustering in to swoop over the neighborhood and surrounding areas to pretty much ruin a picnic and completely erase memories of EVER having driven a car, Tempest is the same but LOUDER.

Tempest has all the sizzle and flash of Lightning, but it invokes a scariness when it is backed up by the spray and the winds whipping across the miles and miles and trillions of gallons of a storm tossed sea...

Here there is no dust or smog or traffic noise to rinse away. Here there is just fat, Ozone-laced drops mingling with briny and colossal Mother-Ocean.

This is and endless, blue, womb and, by-golly it is pretty effin' mad that you're still here.

Tempest is beguiling, and all consuming. While a fearsome aspect of nature, it is also as sedating as an aquarium full of brilliant tropical fish.

Tempest is a palette of cool colors with a rumbling, bruised, thunderhead-grey and the migraine-white of an electrified trident.

Brilliant stuff.

Intriguingly unisex.

Yummy!

I'm on a review spree right now, thanks to ephemera sending me TONS of imps for free!

In the imp, it's a very clean, aquatic scent. Nice! Wet, I smell citrus and driftwood. Upon drydown, the scent fades quickly-it's nice, very unisex. I wouldn't wear it regularly because it's a very light scent and I prefer wearing more dramatic scents. This would be a good oil for a man to use, though!

Very, very similar to Lightning, though I think I prefer this one. Where Lightning smells a little more like traditional aquatics to me, with a little bit of a sour note, like what I generally pick up in salt water blends, Tempest is a bit more fresh water. Lots of ozone, and that smell of rain before you really start getting drenched.

I think Tempest may be the top contender for a big bottle if I ever choose to upgrade from my imps.

This is a departure for me, as I'm normally wearing the soft vanilla/amber scents.

Tempest is cool and green on me, faintly herbal, but not any one specific herb. On wet, there's a faint hint of citrus, a little like lemon rind or grapefruit. It stays as that greenish scent for a while.

After about a half an hour, something weird happens, and I get the faint hint of a crust of homemade bread that starts out riding along with the green note, and gradually takes over. Like Bread and Butterfly, it's a dry bread smell. I have no idea how my skin chemistry took green-citrus-ozone and turned it into bread, but there you go. :huh:

Probably sending this off to swaps, because I have a bread scent already that I prefer.

In the bottle: ocean like the ocean candles from Pier 1. a little bit like citrus, greeny-blue tropical ocean. so warm it's like walking into a hot tub (almost). then a bit of Hawaii rain, some ripe sea grass.

On my skin: utterly gorgeous. friendly ocean, a good spot to teach new surfers. more green-blue, a bit like citrus. fresh, crisp, but without any cold breezes or storm clouds. deep, sweet sea grass. it's a gentle ocean for sure.

Last thoughts: the perfect ocean. transforms wearer into mermaid. I am utterly kicking myself for not buying a bottle before it was discontinued.

Sniffed: Pure ozone touched with citrus.

On skin: My first thought: This smells EXACTLY like Lightning. Both are the same warm, humid, faintly sweet ozone, that reminds me of air heavy with water vapour. Perhaps Tempest is a little lighter, more citrussy and friendlier than Lightning, but I really can't tell them apart. A simple scent that remains constant over time.

Verdict: Well, Lightning is my first love and I have a bottle of it, so I see no reason to keep this imp of Tempest. But those who miss it will probably find a good dupe in Lightning!

(Edited for formatting.)

In imp: Clean and watery. A bit like the first rain.

Drying on skin: Gyeh, I smell nothing but the cheap perfume used for dryer sheets. Makes me gag a little. There's only the faintest hint of the lovely wet storminess I smelled in the container. One for the giveaway pile, unfortunately. :(

Edited by sunstone

Ended up with an imp of this. I wasn't expecting much after Windward Passage all but turned into Red Tide on me, but this is gorgeous- in the vial, it smells like the air just before the rain, and on the skin it smells like the world just after a rain shower- I call it a "wet stone" scent, because it reminds me of being in Edinburgh, with all the liquid sunshine and castle walls. It's the rain scent I've been looking for for years, and I'm so sad to have discovered it well after it was discontinued. :(

Wet on me, this smelled like a really pleasant aquatic men's cologne. Alas, upon drydown, it almost instantly turned into the scent of Irish Spring soap! Now, I like the way Irish Spring soap smells, but it's not what I'm looking for in an oil...

Very faint but pleasant. Clean, light and vaguely watery. I like, but I think I'll look elsewhere for my dyed-in-the-wool aquatic/windy scents.

I really love this one, so I'm sad to see it discontinued. Luckily, I still have quite a bit in my bottle. It's just a fresh, stormy scent.

Tempest starts off as somewhat clean and soapy, likely due to the ozone, before allowing a gentle rain note to shine through. It reminds me of the 'rain' accord that can be used in wax melts (which I think may have a touch of a floral note involved). I wish I could have the rain without the soapy ozone, but I don't dislike its clean scent along with the rain note, so I'll be holding onto my imp to wear to bed on a rare rainy night. I like this more than Lightning, which was a little saltier and more ozonic on me.