Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

In imp, and on, wet: Bathroom cleaner. Dead ringer.

Near drydown: Sharp herbs over bathroom cleaner. Also, ozone scent that's making me sick. I don't get anything crisp nor clean from this.

Far drydown: sweet layered over ozone, but not icky. It smells okay. It also has great lasting power, but I'm not willing to suffer through the first 2 stages to reach the drydown.

In the bottle

Sea Minerals Shower gel

Wet on skin

Sea Minerals shower gel

Drydown

Sea Minerals Shower gel with a bit of cucumber, and the barest hint of musk.

Finish

Got bored and washed it off

Wearlength

Moderate

Throw

Unfortunately rather strong

Mood

Cheap men's shower gell

Verdict

Really not my kind of thing. I prefer deeper darker richer scents for perfume.

Wet in imp - Ahhh, I love ozone! Fresh and almost lemony without smelling like cleanser.

Wet on skin - My skin is amping the lemon a little more than I’d like, but this happened with The Stormhold and it mellowed out nicely. I’m hoping for a similar end result.

Dry on skin - So fresh and so clean-clean ozone-y. My skin loves this stuff, and I really enjoy it. Now the question is whether or not to get this or a bottle of the Stormhold?

Imp: Love. Sharp, ozone aquatic citrus and CLEAN!

Wet on Me: More of the same only MORE!

Drying Down: This just rocks my socks. Ozone-y sharp

citrus leaf aquatic-y.

Dry: It’s very strong at first application but then mellows

out with the same scent just not as WADDOW! This might be a bottle

down the line

I'm gonna have to agree with those who smell cleaning products. Very natural cleaning products but still...it smells like a glittering clean bathroom.

I'm not feeling this one at all.

in the imp: ozone, aqua.

wet on skin: heavy, sweet water note.

dry down: same.

in all: average throw, exactly what the description implies- this is the purest distillation of the Lab's Water and Ozone notes. so if that sounds like heaven to you, stock up :P

Strong ozone and an oddly heavy aquatic/water note. Very fresh, very clean, almost astringent and a little too sharp.

This smells like a sea-scented shampoo I used sometimes as a kid. It's fresh, clean, and a bit cucumber-y.

Pretty, but a bit too perfume-like. I can handle it, but my family is very sensitive and would likely have trouble with me wearing it around them.

As hoped, this smells a lot like the scent my husband was wearing around the time I met him. He had a little vial of oil in his bag called "Rain" and it smelled awesome on him.

This has that same sort of seaside pre-storm feeling to it, and doesn't change much from bottle to drydown (yay!), aside from the initial ozone burn-off.

I don't care for it as much on me as I do on him - I'm sure there's something the boy-musk does to it - but maybe I can pique his interest in the perfume thang again... :P

In the bottle: ...Well, I certainly hope I end up liking this, as my laptop is apparently going to smell like it now. :P Definitely will be more careful opening imps in the future... Anyways... Very crisp air.

Wet: There's a bit of citrus kick in this - crossing my fingers it doesn't turn lemon Pledge. Very clean and cold.

Dry: Hasn't turned Pledge yet! Crisp cold air, still with a bit of citrus in it, though that's died down. It's not lemon so much as something... grapefruit-y? Definitely more ozone than aquatic.

Verdict: Yay for an aquatic/ozone that doesn't go Pledge or dryer sheet on me! I probably won't wear it very often, but it is a very nice, clean smell so I think I'll hang onto it.

3/5

Really can't discern much difference between Tempest and Lightning. If anything, Tempest is the heavier of the two. Both are completely dominated by the Lab's ozone note, which I do not think is the best for me. I like woody/spicy/resiny/musky and the ozone just doesn't jibe with my personality. I love the idea of these types of scents and think they are worth experiencing. But as a scent to be worn, not for me.

I wore Tempest to bed last night and I think it kept me up. It was still on my wrists 7 hours later. There's a heaviness and roundness to Tempest that is missing from the more angular Lightning. I could not possibly know what notes cause these differences, however.

Throw is pretty damn big, like a rumbling thunderstorm that shakes the whole town. Lasts a long time too.

2 out of 5. A fascinating idea, but not a fit for my chemistry.

edited for spelling

Edited by RanaSavia

Very interesting! It's a storm in my nose and in my head! Ozone and lightning... thunder.

Unfortunately, it fades quickly and ends up smelling like air freshener.

Hmm...a little let down...

In the imp it's wonderful, like a salty spray off the ocean...but on my skin it gets VERY intense and kicks my ass about for a few minutes with the water/ozone notes fist fighting for dominance. What I'm left with reminds me of dead sea salts and men's cologne. Not unpleasant, but I think I'd rather use this in the bathtub...or on the husband.

Very sad another ozone bites the dust. Still my favorite note, but not this one...2/5 I am safe from bottle lust.

In the imp, Tempest smells fresh and clean. On the skin, it didn't morph or change much, other than developing a slightly "perfumey" kind of undertone. It seemed really familiar to me, and as it dried I finally figured it out. When I was younger, I used a bottle of Cucumber Melon lotion that smelled almost exactly the same as this.

In the end, this is a pleasant scent. It is a little perfumey for me, though it is fairly light and simple. Simple, clean cucumber melon isn't really what I think of when it comes to a Tempest though, and I can't see this as something I'd wear on a regular basis.

Edited by Dianora

wow i love this stuff, it's citrusy but still very light and clean and just...INNOCENT smelling? if thats even possible.

i love it. applied it sort of reminds me of cool water. wet, its about the same. very citrusy and clean.

overall: i'll probalby get a bottle and this one is going on the wishlist.

Frimp from the Lab. I used to really like the ozone note, but my tastes have changed somewhat, so we'll see. (I really need to get around to swapping that bottle of Jolly Roger...)

Imp: Oh. That's... unexpected. What I actually get out of this, instead of ozone, is a cool floral and some light citrus, maybe grapefruit? And something that really does smell a lot like rain or water, but with a musky, spicy edge. Smells like a weird solid perfume my mum used to have; it was some knockoff of China Rain. It's quite nice.

Wet: Still a sweet-cool, musky, vaguely citrus floral. It actually smells a lot like Orpheus without the greenery or some of the other sharp notes. Sort of a traditionally clean perfume smell. Quite pretty, and despite it all I think it might be quite fabulous on a man. Or great for summer, even.

Dry: CUCUMBER MELON! That's what someone said further up the thread, and it's spot on! A slightly musky, spicy cucumber melon with a pretty white floral. It's the same category of scent as Jolly Roger but this one is sweeter-- fresh water instead of salt. I will hang on to this until summer and see how much I use it, but the perfume edge might be a little too much for me.

This is a really nice aquatic, but I aren't sure if I'd want a 5ml as it's too 'perfumey', if that makes sense?

Definitely keeping the imp though.

Edited to add: It's now on my wishlist!!

Edited by saracakes

Wow, hi there ozone! I can see how some smell cleaning product, but I'm not getting that vibe. I think because there's a bit of a floralness in the background supporting the sharp ozone. It's very clean and leans towards sharp/medicinal but doesn't quite get there. Great for summer.

~~Tempest~~

In the imp, I got a really water smell....like rain soaked flowers....nothing that struck me as "gaaaak!" right away (my nose is picky that way) When i got this on my arm, it was IMMEDIATELY clean smelling, almost like laundry detergent (not sure if this is musk or ozone)...like the zing of citrus without the citrus smell at all. Then, once it dried, there was almost a sour smell...bad sour lemon laundry detergent?? or perhaps room freshener. Ok for a room with a cat box, but not for my arm. It's not exactly a relaxing clean like Stinky is....is a pungent, acrid clean. I think it's certainly named appropriately! On a bonus note, it has SERIOUS staying power ~ I usually can't get anything to stay on me beyond 45 minutes or so. And for all of you fostering cats/kittens for your local rescue/humane society, this one will more than likely banish those catbox odors!! =^..^=

In Imp: Sharp, straight up my nose ozone with a hit of something else that makes me think of clean.

On Wet: Definitely the word of the day is clean, as I apply this, the ozone gets amped on my skin and all I can smell is an overwhelming ozone and water combination. Tempest is a very good name for this scent as it makes me think of storm seas, thunderstorms and, oddly enough, chlorinated pool water. Not unpleasant, definitely very interesting.

On Dry: A few hours later and I still smell like a clean thunderstorm. But, when it does dry it kind of disappears, leaving a very, very faint floral note that I didn't detect at all prior.

Mmm ozone and rain. Goes a bit towards the soapy side of things. Not the greatest aquatic on me lie Szepasszony (sp?) or Calico Jack, but definitley not the worst either! Worth a re-try in my book.

Name: Tempest

In the Imp: Definitely lots of ozone. I like that so hopefully it lasts on skin. Something’s slightly green about this, like it’s the smell of rain mixed with grass growing along a dirt road.

Wet: Whoa, it’s definitely green somehow. Not sure what it is but there’s sort of a slick forest-y smell mixed with citrus and water. Reminds me of a misty rain (exactly like description) falling across a swathe of trees and trickling down into the wet earth below. It’s interesting that there’s a slightly muddy scent, but it’s not unpleasant, just refreshing. Sort of wild, like you woke up in the middle of a spring shower and you’re lying on the ground, clothes all mussed up. Yet everything smells so real it’s as if you’re just awakening to the world for the first time.

Dry: It’s very crisp. I usually like sharp scents and this is certainly that, but it’s almost like detergent now… lost a lot of the liquid “fullness” it had earlier on so that it doesn’t feel as complex. It’s got a nice throw at least.

Verdict: I like it, but not feeling much else. Was sort of expecting the scent’s natural beginnings to stick around but this isn’t as wet and stormy as I was hoping. Instead it pretty much turned into laundry on me, and while that clean smell is nice it’s not my thing.

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Balame

In the imp, I get the smell of rain just before it hits, and just a tinge of ozone. Hmm. This is one of my favorite scents to smell; an oncoming storm.

...Bwa? I'm getting grass now, wet on my skin. I am confused. Where's the rain? Where's my ozone? :(

Augh. Green and sharp and world of no. What happened between the bottle and my skin to make it hate me so? *pout* To the swaps.

Edited by Venneh

In the Imp: Clean, fresh, like a weaker Szepasszony.

Wet on Skin: Doesn't really smell like anything, I just feel a bit of sharpness

Drydown: If I try really hard, I can smell something sharp, but it seems my skin eats this up.

Final thought: I'll stick with Szepasszony for a clean, aquatic scent as there's not really much to this one one me at all. I like it as a concept though, shame it didn't work.