Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Tempest

A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

In the bottle: Inexplicably, amazingly, the smell of a storm brewing. Cold water in the air, brisk and high energy. A sense of imminence.

On me - The storm has broken. This is not a flighty little fit, full of bluster and quickly blowing over. This is a long hard drenching rain, pounding pavement, roaring on the roof, so heavily you can't see a foot in front of you nor hear cars down on the road. Oh, there was some initial thundering of the shake-the-foundation sort to start out with, but now the storm has settled in and looks to keep it up all day. Or week. We're talking monsoon here.

Conclusions: Wow, she's really done something amazing with this one. Really fabulous.

Tempest

The "ozone" smells like clean mountain air and drier sheets. It actually reminds me of linen perfume. Yes, that's exactly it. Linen perfume. Which I hate, because linen fragrances never smell the way fresh linen actually smells.

[ 1 - Hate ]

Imp: Sweet, sharp, watery and a little green, like flower stems

Wet: A sharp aquatic smell, kinda like a man's shower gel

Drying: Very fresh, clean and a little bit like laundry (and I like laundry). It makes me think nautical. Totally different from anything else I have, but a nice change of pace -- not a love, but a like.

imp: a sweet, light aquatic.

wet: ugh! this went terribly strong and sharp. my skni is just so hit-or-miss with aquatics, sometimes they're soft and sweet other times they're cringe-worthy.

dry: this remains a hard-to-define scent. it's strong and aquatic yet almost dusty dry on my skin. odd.

In the imp:

This was ozone-y and salty with maybe a hint of citrus, and something floral...it smells androgynous and clean.

Wet on my skin:

More citrus and salt, the ozone backs down a bit on me, and it gets a little sweeter, and more flowery and feminine. It is extremely evocative of a tempest! I keep getting images in my head of a tropical resort suddenly hit by a storm, beach umbrellas rolling over beaches, tourists in white bathing suits and big floppy sun hats running wildly for cover and spilling their mixed drinks (the sort that come in a coconut shell with little umbrellas). It stays extremely salty, in fact it is making my mouth water a bit. I can smell the seawater and the lightning.

Dry: On me this turns a lot softer, a nice salty floral scent.

Overall: This is lovely and fresh, evocative and clean, but not really the sort of thing I'd wear (too salty and ozone-y on me). I might dump the imp into the spray bottle that I use when I iron, or I might pass it on to a friend.

In the Bottle: This smells exactly like walking near the ocean during a warm summer storm. It's not the fishieness of the ocean, thank god, but rather the deep wet.

On me: wet, wet wet. I can kind of smell a bit of floral behind it, making me thnk of a stormy day or two I had when travelling. There is a definite chill in this one. It's very crisp, and very aquatic. Lovely, but too water for me. I am very happy to have given it a shot though

IN Vial: sweet rain

Wet: gently sweet, smells like fresh water lightly sweetened with white flowers.

Drydown: Sweetness is light but the overall scent has average strength. A tiny bit salty. Very nice aquatic scent.

After trying several similiar aquatic scents together (Lightning, Danube, and Tempest). I have found tempest to be the most gentle, sweetest and unassuming of the three. Hope this helps on your quest for the perfect aquatic scent! I actually prefer it to the others because I don't like anything overwhelming.

Evoking Color Blue water

Edited by gchris

In the bottle: Kind of seashore smelling, but a bit generic. Strong.

Wet: Holy Wow! Very strong, crazy throw, smells like air freshener.

Drydown: Fading very quickly and still smells like air freshener

Into the swap pile this one goes! It makes me feel like I'm radiating public restroom air freshener and that's not a good thing. Sad though, I usually like aquatics :P.

In the bottle: Clean ozone, hints of soap, musk, floral and maybe a wee bit of citrus.

Wet: Virtually the same. Very very fresh. Definitely both aquatic and airy. A little salty, a little soapy. Unisex verging on masculine.

Dry: Huh, a slightly sweet note - maybe grapefruit? - has emerged. The ozone is still very strong and tingly-fresh, the musk is very very faint. And the salty note still.

Summary: Sort of a salty version of Archangel Winter (fresh, clean ozone), though there is some weird note in this I don't quite like, that's a little plasticky-chemically in the final drydown.

This is my FIRST bpal scent to try EVAR. Excuse me for my excitement.

IN THE BOTTLE: sharp, smells like the sea, but not like rain. very crisp to me.

WET: almost exactly the same.

DRYING: still very sharp, almost astringent. A very, very faint hint of floral. Almost peppery? I think me likey, but I will have to see how it wears.

In bottle/imp: Salty, crisp ozone. I can feel it in my nose.

Immediately on skin: This is a very strong, salty, and crisp ozone scent. It’s electric and crackling.

After a little while: The ozone is still all I smell… it’s salty and electric. On me, it’s a very clean mix of an airy scent and a metal scent with a bit of electricity thrown in. It’s not sharp, but it is very crisp.

Overall Impressions: I found this to be very close to Lightning, except this is lacking the aquatic note Lightning has. It’s not too strong, but it is a very crisp scent with a unisex feel.

I'm not a huge ozone fan, and the first minute or so this was on my skin I was tempted to wash it off. As it settled though, it really became much nicer. It faded quickly, to my nose, and really got that gentler scent of rain showers to it. I don't think it'll ever be a favorite, but it's got a nice, quiet fragrance to it, once the nasty first minute wears off.

(Note, I've got Tempest on one wrist, Lightning on the opposite shoulder, and Tempest is sooo much better)

Tempest reminds me a bit of Lightning, but instead of citrus, there's something green in there along with the ozone. Now I know what salty is supposed to smell like. Its interesting.

I'll give this one a fair try (wearing it for a day) but I think I prefer Lightning and Sea of Glass for my ozone moods. Definitely a good unisex scent.

On me, Tempest is an aquatic, green floral. It's the smell of walking through a garden in the rain. I like it but I don't see myself getting a bottle.

In the imp: barely smell anything, a bit of ozone, a slight tangy scent

On skin, wet: Ozone, rain, humid air. Like Lightning only slightly less sharp.

Dry: Still very like Lightning, but somehow less dark and masculine. I honestly can't say what the precise difference between the two is- they're so very similar- but I think I like Tempest a tad better as a perfume, whereas I like Lightning as a room scent. Tempest is a bit softer and gentler.

Edited by lilirose

This scent is lovely and sweet...it fits the lab description perfectly. It reminds me a lot of Demeter's Ocean, but this is more complex. Nice!

Got this as a lab frimp.

...I almost can't tell the difference between this and Lightning; they're both a fresh ozoney scent with a faint hint of citrus. I think Tempest is a little darker, but if you blindfolded me, I don't think I could tell which was which.

This is aquatic and chaotic. It's a darker and deeper aquatic than Lightning and I find it to be far more salty and "blue". Aquatics aren't my thing but I do prefer the ones that are less high-pitched, like this one. It's very oceanic and wet, almost refreshing. I bet it makes a lovely room scent.

wet in the imp: grapefruit! i love the smell of grapefruit. :P

on application: wow, this is very fresh and lovely, very complex! it reminds me of something but i cannot for the life of me put my finger on it? i keep wanting to say it's like the scent of a freshly cleaned bathroom. :D like the quality cleaning used in the public ladies room of a high-end hotel or something. just very clean and fresh and mmmm.

drydown: well, all that clean and fresh and mmmm went right out the window. :D sadly, it's gone a bit sour and stale on me. perhaps the next owner will be a better match! sorry, tempest. :D

Not at all sure I like this; it smells like bleach and vegetables on me. *gags*

I'll give it another try when I'm not on my period, hehe. Or just slather some on my dear friend, since she was the one who wanted to try a rain scent.

In the imp: My first thought was the Yankee Candle scent of Clean Cotton, only electrified. Not necessarily bad, but not amazing either.

Wet: The aquatics came out really nicely and overpowered the dryer-sheet smell. There's a bit of citrus and floral in the background which brighten up the blend, an overall I get a crisp, aquatic blend like a breeze in a park near the ocean.

Dry-down: After awhile, the Clean Cotton came back, but it had already faded to the point of not smelling strongly of much of anything by then. I was surprised to read that this faded quickly on people because on me this lasted all day.

This has become my first choice for a bright, summery scent, and I plan on upgrading my imp to a bottle.

In the imp: Exactly what I assumed the scent would smell like. Fresh, raw rain. That tinge of electricity (am I imagining too much?) foam off of the sea... -pictures herself on a cliff in Ireland~

Wet on skin: Whoa. Is this my mothers perfume? All scents are lost in memory...

Dry on skin: Yes. This is most certainly my mother's perfume. She doesn't wear it anymore, nor do I know what it was (I'll have to ask her when I see her again). But it's something like this: Sunday, Easter morning. I'm woken up to singing down the huge stairs (as a kid.) I hear mom and dad in the bathroom rustling around (running water, showers, hot steam, etc). Mom is pretty. Very pretty. (Why so pretty for church? <.<) She has pearl earrings in. (Oh, Easter dinner tonight. Mom's dressed up.) She smells sophisticated, clean, bright, happy. She also smells like curlers, hairspray, Mary Kay, and ironing boards. Maybe starch, too. (Maybe dad in there somewhere <.<)

Yep. While I can certainly picture the "tempest" vibe, the scents too easily lend themselves to my "dressed up" memories. So this scent is most -absolutely- a "Dressed up" scent. It, to me, smells clean, sophisticated, adult, innocent, but beautiful. While it isn't something I personally ~do~, I think I may have to keep some of this around at all times in case I have some outing where I feel like adorning white pearl earrings.

Hell, this scent could have been called "Mom's White Pearl Earrings." Classy and classic. lol

Dry, later: This scent didn't stick around on me, but I couldn't notice any morphing that was major. I could tell a few scents did leap frog with each other, but it was too compact time-wise for me to notice or be disturbed about. The throw was really strong, as well. Just didn't seem to last too long on me.

Overall: I most certainly have a strange view on this scent, but I liked it. It smells crisp, fresh, with a touch of electricity. (Ozone, I suppose) ~ Clean clothes, hot showers, hot irons (for clothes, hair, whatever. lol), classic white pearl earrings, and a dash of very feminine perfume. Mom, in a vile. Strong throw, short life. (The scent, not my mom XD)

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

This scent smells like the ocean. If I smell it and close my eyes and can see aquamarine water above and all around me. I know these notes are “really” ozone and some sharp white florals but I try not to think about that. To me it is the ocean in a tiny tube. Beautiful!

On me it lasts a little over two hours (my skin eats scent). It doesn‘t change very much in this time. I’d like to have this scent in a roller ball for frequent application. There is some throw, maybe two to three feet if I put quite a bit on.

Verrrrry aquatic. Low throw. Clean and soapy (My coworker said it smelled like "Irish Spring") Up close I get something almost floral. Not getting much ozone, not much morphing. Kind of reminds me of walking on a beach. Pleasant, but I don't know if it's something I'd wear.

Vial: Strong, clean smell. Reminds me of morning and the traces of rainwater on fresh cut grass after a storm.

Wet: Citrus + rain smells! God, I love it! It's almost like I'm bathing in a light shower of grapefruit and rainwater.

Dry: Still going strong! No major changes or decreased sharpness of the notes.

I think I romanticize "soapy" scents way more than other people I know. I find "ozoney" scents maintain a consistent smell from vial, wet, to drydown. It seems a bit plain, but it's almost like a "classic look" for me, except in scent form. I always want to wear cleaner, ozone-y scents, but everyone around me teases me for smelling like a bar of cheap soap. :P I wish other people would understand how much I love clean scents like this.