Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
annemathematics

Fire Mingled with the Haile

Fields smashed by torrential rain, seared by gouts of celestial fire.

a cousin of Oceanus Procellarum, a descendant of the Miskatonic Valley Yule Fest 2013 scents. I like these scents but I have to be a very specific mood to wear them. I other love love love them or need to flee across county lines depending on my mood.

dark, rich, salty, somewhat aquatic. movies like the ten commandments and exodus depict the pharoah standing in awe of the flaming hail, and I feel a similar sensation at the strength of this scent. I'm both taken by and overwhelmed by this one.

This one is deeply and richly aquatic/oceanic in the bottle and when first applied. It is salty and very clean and fresh smelling (and slightly sweet), but with the slightest hint of both white floral, and ashiness in the background. I have an association with this type of scent that pegs this as a more masculine scent, and I think that this would smell great on a guy. It also smells like something I would love scenting my bathroom with, rather than wearing as a perfume (which is actually not a bad thing, scent wise). It just brings to mind things like waterfalls and rain. It is somewhat similar to the scent Dirty.

On dry down this still retains the salty oceanic qualities, but also ends up getting pretty soapy smelling, like I just washed my hands with Ivory soap or something....

Edited by mystery213

I agree with annemathematics on the Miskatonic Valley Yule Fest 2013 similarity. The first thought I got was that this is a darker version of Eldritch Drunken Constellations. Like EDC, this sits right on the edge of smelling soapy on me, but it doesn't quite fall over that edge. It's aquatic, but the "celestial fire" is still there in the background (though I've no idea what actual notes that includes--I just get a faint whiff of something smoky/ashy every now and then), and it might be what keeps it from going too far into soapy territory for me. Since I already have a bottle of EDC, I don't feel the need for a full bottle of this, but I'll definitely keep my decant handy.

I was most excited about this one and sadly it just doesn't do it for me.

I love my aquatic blends and this is super aquatic when it's wet and I like that but it soon takes a huge shift and goes super soapy and when I inhale deep enough I swear I am smelling a weird fruity quality. The soapy element is INTENSE and I don't mind super clean scents in the least bit but with a name like this I expected something a little bit darker.

A part of me wants to put it up for sale and then the other part wants me to keep it for a few weeks to see if it changes at all.

I smell Ritz crackers and big white flowers here! I am generally not a fan of aquatic blends so my description can not really do this scent justice for those that do enjoy them. I find it a bit cacophonous, that mix of earthy saltiness and high pitched florals. As it dries down I get some of the ashiness others have described.

Yikes, this blend is intense. I decided to grab a decant when a Will Call attendee said it was kind of vanillic, but smelling it from the vial this is super ozonic and sharp. We've definitely got an aquatic here, but it's mixed with something that smells like white florals, as MCS mentioned. So yes, there is a definite sweetness present but it's kind of like a floral soap with extra "cleaner smell" in the backdrop. There is a smoky, ashen quality as well which definitely does not save this because flowers + ash is one of my death combos. It was the same terrifying, headache-y crap in Battle of Vigridr. Which I suppose is fitting, but not for me at all. Had to wash this one off.

Edited by Balame

This was the runner-up Plague to me--it was sweet and fiery, but not intensely so (at least on my skin). And like the person who smelled Ritz crackers, there was a faint baked goods note to me. Really oddly nice, fiery, sweet, slightly bready. Very nice!

First impression – reminds me of the hay note in Gunpowder with a sweet and soapy aquatic note. My impulse is to love it, but I know that after a time this usually smells like cloying bathroom soap on my skin. There's also something just a little minty toothpaste in here.

Skin testing – This smells as bad on my skin as I feared it would. It unfortunately reminds me of strongly scented toiletry products, like it's designed to cover unpleasant odors.

Rich salty aquatics, touch of hay, and mint. This smells like a deep oceanic blend. Clean, sort of smoky, and in general kinda soapy on me. Average throw, average wear length.

Heavy salty aquatic with a sweetness from some sort of flower thrown in there. I do smell that same bready, baked good note others smell when first applied ,but it burns off in about 20 mins. Since that bready smell is gone now I can smell the fire smoldering in the background. It reminds me of Aurora Spaceship takes a dive. Still, a very pretty salty ,slightly sweet aquatic (loves me some ambergris!) and just a faint ember in the background.

Wet: Clean and salty. As it hits the skin it reminds me of My Mommy in a Boat, only lighter-weight and fresher. It's a beachy aquatic with a hint of something else.

Drydown: A very, very clean ambergris-based aquatic. There is a soapiness to it, but it’s an endearing soapiness, the kind I don't mind. Beneath all the fresh and clean there’s something I can’t quite peg. Part of me wants to say biscotti? Or perhaps an asian fruit? Or a peculiar pastry?

Dry: Oh! I smell orange rind! Or maybe grapefruit...For simplicity’s sake let’s just say orange rind. It smells like orange rind and crumbs strewn about the sand at the beach. And a touch of clean, clean skin too.

8.5 out of 10 bones

This reminds me a bit of Tempest. There is a quick hint of sweet hay at first and then it goes all aquatic and lovely. I really like this, but wish it had more staying power. I put it on at 8 am and it was gone by 9:30.

In the decant: Ooooh, this has the rain/storm notes from Oceanus Procellarum, but there's a warmth to it! I love Oceanus Procellarum and I'm so excited.

On me, wet: Oh no, that's really soapy. Procellarum doesn't go soapy on me, but at first this pretty much smells like stormy air and cleaning products. And it isn't getting better at all.

On me, dry: I didn't find out because I washed it off. No length of time smelling that much like Windex was worth whatever it would have dried down to. I'm really disappointed, but at least I have About Midnight.

In the imp (decant): minty, salty, aquatic.

Wet: At first, fresh and clean but then a hit of weird biscuityness?? Someone above mentioned Ritz crackers - that's it.

Dry: Fresh and clean with no hint of biscuit. It's rounded out nicely and the mint is peepimg through. There's something about it similar to Sea Foams Milk, minus the milk.

Ice and, yes, foody at first. The cracker note fades pretty quickly though, and now its mostly an aquatic. Not getting any kind of 'fire' note. Not for me anyways...

I was curious about this one.

In the imp: Aquatic, with jasmine sambac, and something else. I think it's the "celestial fire," but I can't quite tell what it is.

Wet on skin: Still the same Mainly aquatic, with a hint of floral, and something fiery. That might be mint. Like a peppermint. Or a very sharp frankincense. Actually, that might be.

Dried down: Same. Aquatics with a hint of jasmine.

Throw: Almost none on me.

Verdict: *** 1/* I don't know if this one is for me yet, but I think I want to hold on to it for awhile longer. I think I need to try this again.

Wet: Zest Soap! Clean, fresh, bubbly, it belongs on a men's soap with a picture of a forest and a waterfall. There's a little bit of (cinnamony?) spice too in the background, but it was only brief and now I think I imagined it. Not getting cracker at all, but getting hella soap. Mostly waterfall soap. I'm a little sad because I thought this might be some sort of, I don't know. Mint, salt, smoke thing.

Drying: It actually gets LESS soapy for me on the dry down. Um. At first. It was blendy, saltier, zingier...but occasionally I get a whiff of soap chips. There IS mint in this. To be fair. Bit more of the salt comes out, too!

Dry: Hint of aquatic zing.

Received a decant as a bonus in a swap, late 2021 

When I first tested this, I got a distinct and lasting rain scent on my skin, which almost never happens. Was not able to reproduce that today.

In the bottle, the wet/rain/ozone is most prominent - I don't get salt or ocean from this. No evidence of celestial fire, unless that is intended to mean lightning. 

Wet on my skin, I smell the fields and rain - there are flowers in the fields, but not sure what kind. I would guess lilies?

As this dries, there is a short semi-soapy phase, but then the rain/ozone vanishes and I get a very fresh, slightly sweet floral field with hay. This part is stunning.

Hours later, only a suggestion of warmth remains - maybe amber? 

I imagine this will have aged fairly differently in a bottle vs. the imp I have.