Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
annemathematics

Smite All Thy Borders with Frogges

Amphibious green musk with bog moss, benzoin, Mountain sage, Brazilian vetiver, tomato leaf, cucumber pulp, and unripe squash.

I admit I was ready to pass this one over, as I enjoy my 2014 lunacy frog perfume and was wary of the vegetable notes. but I tested it and learned that if I were to death match this against my marsh of frogs, this one might be the winner.

that lovely green musk really shines in this deeper and richer blend. the benzoin adds a nice soft sweetness and the vetiver (a very gentle and not prominent vetiver on me. possibly a vetiver for people who usually shy away from this note?) adds the perfect rich depth to the sage and veggie notes. my nose sussed out "rich earthy garden" and not "oh, hi tomato, hello cuke and squash."

I really enjoyed this blend. it was warm and complex, with all of the parts working together. I don't know if I wear scents like this enough to spring for a whole bottle, but I will definitely seek out an imp or partial.

Whew! This is certainly a boggy 'green' scent. In the bottle and when first applied, this is almost all unripe squash mingling with the green musk, and is very odd indeed. When applied, the vetiver blooms a bit and does add some depth to the greenness, and a touch of sweetness comes peeking out with the benzoin. The vetiver is very well behaved in this blend at this point, which is not a typical experience for me. It seems to mostly add to the muskiness of the scent, making this overall a heavy, sweet green musk blend.

On dry down, the vetiver takes a more prominent stance and it becomes more of a sweet, green vetiver type of scent, with a bit of boggy/mustiness in the background.

My experience isnt much different from the other ladies'.

Starts as a fairly fresh green musk blend, but with added richness and body from the benzoin/tomato leaf/sage. I get a bit of fresh birch or hinoki.. one of those cool-er sour woods. Maybe that is supposed to be the cucumber and/or squash? Either way, that aspect only lasted for 15-20 minutes, and was tempered under the musk anyhow. I really didnt get much vetiver at all, but man did this blend laaaast. When I woke up this morning, it was nearly as strong as when I had put it on the afternoon before. There were occasional wafts that hinted at irish spring soap, but for the most part, it was a beautifully rich, resiny, and voluptuous green musk. I think this just may be a keeper... although I may decant out a few imps.

Lovely and different in the decant but on me it dried down to a soapy, herbal musk. Not for me!

"Smite Thy Borders With Froggies" is how I misread the scent at first and that's going to be how I always think of it.

This is a strong green musk, like that in Laughter of Loki. There's a detergent element that I somehow don't find that offensive. Maybe because the vegetable element can frequently shift the scent from "soapy" to "damp greenness and raw squash."

The vetiver stays well blended and in the background, the vegetables and herbs are lovely. However if you have a problem with soapy scents this might not be for you.

In comparison with the other frog scents, this is more earthy and vegetal than Plague of Frogs, which is more of an aquatic. It lacks the strong powdery stone note of Palus Nebularum.

Edited by patina

Reminds me of Karme.

So if you're a fan of Karme, run to buy this. Otherwise if you're not a fan of Karme, well then, you may not like this one.

sadly, not a fan of this one.

The cucumber is quite obvious upon smelling the blend in the bottle and first application to the skin. A hint of tomato leaf that, as Anne said, doesnt scream tomato leaf just brings a wonderful green garden feeling to the scent. It's green without any of the bitterness that I often get from the Lab's "greenery" blends. Then the vetiver emerges and yes, it's pretty tame, just deepening the garden feeling so you get a little earth as well. The musk arrives, beginning to bloom as the scent heats up on my skin and beware-- it is edging towards soapy as I have unfortunately found green musk to do on me in the past. Finally I can get the benzoin and sage and they contribute a slight fuzzy, warm quality that juxtaposes with the veggies in a surprising and lovely way.

Palus Nebularum was one of the hardest bpals for me to test and wear-- the powder aspect made me sneeze like crazy and it smelled like I'd rolled in drier sheets (happen to be allergic to those, so lose-lose) so I personally find this blend infinitely more wearable. They share the same slightly soapy musk, but I'm digging the veggie and benzoin notes here a lot

Dark vetiver, tomato pulp, moss and other watery greens. This smells like bog water that was set on fire. I'm amping up the vetiver, so I get a ton of smokiness, and underneath green murky water with vegetable green freshness. Good throw, good wear length.

Smoke, murky water, greens.

First impression – reminds me of other bog smells but without the putrid element. It's like a green oakmoss with a little bit of spice, I think the vetiver, cucumber, tomato leaf – those make sense for this sort of chlorophil juicy green notes. Interesting.

Skin testing – goes on weird, but not unpleasant. Boy, this is a hands down winner for most unusual. I feel like little bits of all the notes show up here and there. There is a top that is a little bog gas unpleasant and a bottom that is holding it all together just barely. Not something I would call wearable. Ends up way late in the dry down being a sort of faintly green musk. For a while there though it almost made me feel sick to my stomach. An interesting sniffing experience, but not all together pleasant.

Edited by strahlend

I definitely get the clean, fresh cucumber scent right away - but then there is some murky green once it's on my wrist. A rich garden dirt is also present and I can pick out the tomato leaf, too. Overall, it's a nice scent, but it was gone within about two hours.

Like DJ Sin said it's close to Karme. But it's soft, not-quite ripe veggies growing in loamy, boggy soil instead of the warm sun-ripened smell of Karme. I love it! It's super subtle after it dries down.

Boo. I'm not getting any of the loveliness or notes everyone else is getting, though I suspected that a bit because Laughter of Loki was extremely flat on me yet smelled amazing on a friend. I guess green musk doesn't like me? This starts off as a fresh aquatic then melds into a blend of fresh, soapy aquatic melded with men's cologne. Low throw. It doesn't smell bad, it's just not very exciting. Oh well.

In the imp (decant): Froggy and boggy. I think I can pick out the sage and vetiver.

Wet: A manly, green scent. The vetiver's stronger now.

Dry: A green musk with sage lurking in the background.

I think the benzoin kinda ruins this one once it comes out. It's still nice though! Pretty clean and fresh, though the benzoin reins that in a bit. I'm keeping it, but only because it reminds me of somewhere, not one I'm likely to wear so it'll probably end up as a room/linen spray.

Green aquatic cologne. Smells like a clean, fresh guy. Definitely masculine. More manly than other 'clean guy' blends.

In the imp: Ok, this one's just weird. "Amorphous" fits it perfectly. Salty and aquatic and sweet and melony at the same time. But not blended. They're disparate.

Wet on skin: Still a little aquatic - probably the green musk. I'm getting the benzoin and vetiver right now.

Dried down: The vetiver blends nicely with the green musk and veggies here.

Throw: There's a little throw here, mostly the cucumber for that sweet aquatic.

Verdict: **** This is nice, but I think I'll be satisfied with my decant for awhile.

Apparently wet Frogges smell like herbal essence "tea" shampoo! Maybe it's the cucumber? Gets powdery once dry, but I can still get a hint of that zingy shampoo hit. Not much of a vegetable garden, but still a kind of warm, fruity green.

Blind bottled this from Etsy. FUN! I've always wanted a tomato leaf scent. While it doesn't smell like tomato leaf, it does smell like a super green, wet garden. More of a masculine vibe... musky but freshened up with the cucumber. Super green, mossy and musky with a bright finish.