Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The Chariot

No description listed at this time.

Begins with a fruity, almost white-wine smell that quickly morphs into moderate anise and then on to that mysterious chalky effervescent note that I've found in several of the Tarot scents. The anise and mystery note stay in the background, and a light, creamy floral comes to the top - almost buttery in quality.

An interesting, light anise and cream scent at the end. Definitely something I'd prefer for study purposes over everyday wear.

Initial Impression:

Both sweet and tart and ever so lightly fruity. Berries with a slight citrus note maybe?

After Wearing It:

When I first put this on, this reminded me slightly of fruit flavored gum. The scent was mild, smooth and milky but still had a bubblegum kind of tang. Couldn't decide if I thought I was smelling some sort of berries or apples, but perhaps a bit of both. There was a sweet floral overtone to it, as well. Very mellow, but a bit bubbly. Reminiscent of spring breezes and streams, though there was nothing watery about the scent. It just had this sense of honesty, freedom and contentment to it that was very appealing.

Final Thoughts:

This seemed a bit mild for my usual impressions of the Chariot card, but it's not really off the mark. I do like it as a scent, so I think I'll wear it regardless of what the oil itself was trying to say.

This scent when on with a bitter/medicinal top note. I had a coworker comment that something stunk like medicine when I reapplyed during the day. After that phase is finished, it morphs into a lovely sweet potpourri type scent. Another coworker kept walking in and asking if I had some sweet potpourri in the office somewhere. The drydown was slightly berryish, sweet and herbal on me. I loved this once it got past the bitter topnote!

Initially, this smelled like cherry cough syrup, with a watery note and medicinal smell. After it dried down, it loses the fruitiness and smells like lotus. Agh, for I do not like lotus. It's either lotus or a watery note with some sweet floral. Perhaps honeysuckle?

THE CHARIOT

Triumphal "car" (chariot), armored warrior, sun/moon symbols, lingam & yoni symbol (the encircled rod on the winged shield), black and white sphinxes/lions/horses, sometimes at rest. A canopy of stars and sometimes a throne inside the car.

Basic Tarot Meaning

The chariot is one of the most complex cards to define. On its most basic level, it implies war, a struggle, and an eventual, hard-won victory. Either over enemies, obstacles, nature, the beasts inside you, or to just get what you want. But there is a great deal more to it. The charioteer wears emblems of the sun, yet the sign behind this card is Cancer, the moon. The chariot is all about motion, and yet it is often shown as stationary.

What does this all mean? It means a union of opposites, like the black and white steeds. They pull in different directions, but must be (and can be!) made to go together in one direction. Control is required over opposing emotions, wants, needs, people, circumstances; bring them together and give them a single direction, your direction. Confidence is also needed and, most especially, motivation. The card can, in fact, indicate new motivation or inspiration, which gets a stagnant situation moving again. It can also imply, on a more pragmatic level, a trip (usually by car), a vehicle - in the shop for repairs if the card comes up reversed - or a message.

Apples. Immediately I get apples when I open the bottle. I'm not quite certain if it's macintish or granny smith or what, but it's a very familiar smell. I don't entirely understand why this particular card has that smell associated with it though.

Wet it takes on a more dry-wine scent which more typifies the tarot meaning I suppose. It becomes more berrylike that apple-y also, It's very nice ... though I almost think I prefer the apple-y part.

It seems to be staying with that delicious wine smell, very light and brisk. I really wish I knew the notes in this one, because it's absolutely delicious smelling. *purrs*

In the bottle: What's with me getting all these fruity bubblegum scents lately. It's not a complaint, really, just a comment. I've been getting a near-endless stream of vaguely fruit/pink bubblegum scents to try. It's kinda creeping me out because it's very Lolita-like. Anyway, this has a fruit bubblegum sugar scent but also a strange whiff of some kind of spice in the background of it as well.

Wet: The spice comes out more once it hits my skin but there's still the lingering sense of fruity pink gum to it. Up close it kinda smells like spiced gum. I don't know. I'm not very good at picking out notes when I don't have an idea of what I'm really looking for in the scent. But there is sugar and something fruit-like althought it's a pale, sweet, artifical fruit scent more than the fresh fruits in some of the other blends.

Dry down: The throw for this is very pink gum, but on my skin the scent is much different. It's spicer and more sure of itself. There's also something in it tha might be a little sour, but still manages to smell pretty good. I don't think I ever would have bought this if eldritch hadn't suggested the purchase. I'm not sure that this is even something I'd wear on anything resembling a regular basis. Although I do keep Libra basically so I have my astrological-themed scent. Why not the same with this? It still smells like some kind of fruit. I'm just not sure what. I like this the longer I wear it. The pink scent is very innocent and sweet but underneath it is this stronger, more mature note, which I think reflects me pretty well.

Dry: Still the layered fruits. The top being very pink and sweet and the background one that sticks closer to the skin more ripe and thick with some kick to it. I have no idea what the notes in this might be, but I do kinda of like it. I have no idea how much I'll wear it, though.

ETA: It has a slight mulled wine, clove, spice scent to it, but it's also sweet, sweet. It reminds me of a sweeter version of Tintagel minus the underlying sour note that was in that. A warm scent.

Bottle: Green, tarty apples dipped in .

Wet: Wait, no…Jolly Ranchers! Not sure if it’s watermelon or cherry, but it’s incredibly fruity, barely sweet, more spicy, maybe a hint of greenery, like a fruity wine with several herbs swirling around.

Drydown: It’s pretty much a completely fruity/herbal wine, but not totally wine, but a more multifaceted mixed wine.

Final Result: A multi-herbed, medium apple cider poured into a full, well aged, fruity red zinfandel.

Verdict: If I could find a wine that tasted exactly like this, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. I can’t stop sniffing my arm and want to lick it very badly and I don’t even like wine.

:P :D :D

chariot.jpg

Pineapple, I get the same teaser I smelled in Jailbait and I identify that one as artificial pineapple. I actually think it is a sort of jasmine which is pretty harsh. I can't really smell anything else but that during the drydown and beyond. It isn't dreadful, but it's not very pretty. This might be a good ritual scent for someone was identifyied with The Chariot in the Major Arcana, but I'm just not loving it.

I've been sniffing my arm for about five minutes trying to identify this maddeningly familiar scent, and I finally got it:

Salt water taffy.

It smells exactly like a box of mixed flavors of salt water taffy. There's also a slightly gritty, sandy, exhaust-y smell that I associate with the seedy little strip mall at the beach where I buy salt water taffy. But mostly just the sweet, odd smell of the taffy itself. I get no aquatics at all. Not an unpleasant scent, but not for me.

Wet it's anise and green apple on me, with a touch of liquorice.

It has a lot of throw, but it's not my cup of tea.

In the bottle:

Cough drops, really.

On me:

I can say this much - there IS anise in this. I can smell it pure and simple, it's the strongest note on me and this is not something that smells particularly good on me. After a few minutes, something fruity is coming up with the anise - I think people are right in saying it's apples. I think there might be lotus in this as well because there is a slight bubblegum scent in the background.

Final note:

This is like licorice apple bubblegum. It's not pleasant. It's very unusual but it's not something that's working on me and the combonation just isn't my cup of tea.

I get herbs, anise and bamboo (or some other light woody note) from The Chariot, which dries down to a sweet woody finish. Not really for me.

The Chariot

In the imp: fruit and juicy with a hint of liquorice!

Wet on skin: still fruity and sweet. I can't really tell what fruit, it could be peach, pear or apricot but I'm still unsure. There may also be lotus in this.

Dry on skin: this reminds me a bit of Glitter-I think there may be pear in here-and I'm certain that there's lotus here. This is a lovely, light, bubbly, effervescent scent, sweet and fruity. I think there's also anise or liquorice there, but not too much.

After a while: the liquorice note gets stronger, but not unpleasantly so. It could be anise or fennel, and it works surprisingly well in this blend, it adds an interesting twist to the bright fruity lotus scent.

The drydown after about two hours is pure lotus all the way. Identical to Lotus SN, in fact. No problem for me as I'm a lotus lover!

Verdict: I'm not sure what the card of the Chariot means, but this scent was a pleasant surprise. A bright, light, fizzy, sweet and fruity scent with lotus and a smidgen of anise or fennel-which is actually quite nice in this scent, adds a nice, cool, refreshing touch. I really like this, though I'm not sure whether I want a bottle as it is similar to Glitter, but I'm keeping the imp!

Edited by yeahbutnobut

I didn't care for this one. It started with a weird, unpleasant, medicinal sort of twang, then within an hour or so, morphed into an anise/licorice scent. I'm not a fan of anise/licorice notes (except in very small doses), so this just wasn't for me.

Bottle (Imp): Oooh, very sweet fruit.

Just On: Oh yes, sweet sweet fruit, and just a hint of something else, but I don't know what.

An hour or two later: Definitely sweet fruit. And licorice?

Around 6 hours: Not quite as sweet, I'm getting more of the anise effect instead of the licorice thing, if that makes sense.

12 hours: Where'd it go? It's gone.

Overall: I *really* like this one.

After reading other reviews: I definitely got the anise, didn't really get any wine, and really didn't get the water or woodsy scents. This is a keeper.

at first: fruity and cool. like fruit punch with ton of ice in it.

on: sweeter, but definitely fruity. maybe passionfruit? i'm also getting anise. woo hoo!

1.5 hours later: mostly anise with something almost woodsy to it. i really like this.

2 hours later: very light. this has an almost effervescent feel to it. it's still sweet and fruity, with a base of wonderful anise.

3 hours later: very soft a light. mostly anise, with a soft powdery veil over it.

overall: i could definitely see myself wearing this as a perfume. what can i say? i love anise.

I had heard great things about The Chariot- Unfortunately, it went way wrong for me.

In the vial - uh-oh, I smell something I don't like, but I can't place it.

On me - Uh-huh, there's anise in here. Anise and berries. I hate, hate, hate, hate anise - as much as I hate vetiver, if that's possible. And, of course, my skin completely amped up the anise, so I smelled like licorice all day. It was ghastly. There was a berry smell underneath, and maybe somthing citrussy, but all I got was anise really.

It was swapped out as fast as possible.

Honestly, the only thing I could identify in the Chariot is a definite booziness. Wine, maybe, but it smells purely of alcohol and maybe something else that makes it smell completely weird. It gets progressively more astringent as it sits on the skin. Not exactly a pleasant smell.

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

The Chariot smells like butterscotch to me for some reason. I’m thinking there’s something wrong with my nose today since I wasn’t expecting that. I haven’t read the other reviews for this, so I’m not sure if it’s just me. :P

Wet on skin:

There’s still slight butterscotch-type scent to The Chariot, but it’s not quite so bright as in the imp. Now it smells almost like vanilla and maybe some sort of floral on top of the butterscotch.

Dry down:

No more butterscotch now. At this stage, The Chariot smells almost like an herbal vanilla. I can’t shake the feeling that I’m getting a weird impression of this, although I could be wrong.

The bottom line:

Unusual and not in a bad way. I’m not sure I’d wear this, but it’s nice. :D

The Chariot starts off smelling like cherry cough syrup on me. Very medicinal. In the drydown it smells like juicy fruit gum and black licorice. Two candies that I absolutely despise.

This one is a definitely not a winner for me.

In bottle: Sharp and fruity, with a note that I am pretty sure is also in Chango. It reminds me of a medicine I once took several years ago.

On me: I hope that medicinal note fades soon; otherwise this is like a very nasty cough-syrup.

After a good half-hour the medicinal, stinging note has faded but it definitely isn't gone. Too bad. Off goes Chariot.

Whoah. Wet it smells tangy and sharp to my nose, like berries but not quite.

Dry it changes. It smells so familiar yet eludes me. I can't tell what it reminds me of. It's sort of milky, creamy and chalky with this bitter medicinal kick to it. Licorice. That's what it is. Black licorice.

I can see using this for magical purposes but I wouldn't wear it otherwise. It just doesn't work on me.

I gave this 2 out of 5 stars.

The Chariot

Slightly sweet and fruity, slightly floral. Mostly fruity with a chalky musky undertone. There's definitely a chalky sweet almost strawberry scent coming out as this dries.

First sniff: Hmm. I remember really liking The Chariot when I smelled it at coulrophobe’s meet’n’sniff, but this time it smells quite a lot like licorice, which I don’t like. It’s sweeter, but still licorice-y.

Wearing: Yep, definite licorice. How very strange. I wonder what changed?

In the imp, this smelled much like the magician--herbal, slightly astringent, with a note of anise.

On--yikes! :P anise overload! There is also something else in here, but that note really overwhelms. It kind of reminds me of the smell of the breath-freshening seeds you get at some Indian restaurants--anise seed and something else.

But it doesn't strike me as The Chariot, which implies balance and mastery, because on me there is no balance, only that licorice scent I don't like. Its so strong it makes me wonder if the anise-note I got in The Magician was something more benign like hyssop.

Not for me, and luckily it isn't a card I feel a great affinity to, so I don't have to get over the scent for ritual or meditation.