Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Muse

A light, invigorating floral and citrus blend. Tuberose, lotus and jasmine with a hint of lime.

In bottle: Berry soap.

On skin, wet: A floral berry powder. What is making with the berries?

On skin, dry: Lime! Very bright and vibrant, and thank you jasmine for the powder.

Conclusion: I have no idea what caused them, or where they came from, but I'm not down with berry powder.

Rating: 1/5

I received Muse as a frimp in my first-ever Lab order. Reading the site description, I figured it would turn soapy on me like Nuit did. I was wrong.

The lime in Muse makes the whole combination sing! It's a floral scent, but the lime does something wonderful to it. It's as if someone in the Lab saw my inclusion of Nuit with Ars Draconis scents and incense/resin scents and had a hunch Muse would be just the contrast I needed.

It has great staying power and throw, and is "dressy" enough for me to wear out for a night on the town. Muse opened my mind to trying other scents with notes that I didn't know would work on me. It also has piqued my interest in other scents containing lime.

I have a bottle of Muse on the way!

Imp: There's an obvious citrus with a gasonline-type smell. Odd! A sweet, citrusy white floral in the vial.

Wet: I can smell the plasticy tuberose first. The lime comes out nicely and mixes with the florals.

Dry: The hard gasoline/ozone smell went away and it's a lovely, light citrusy floral.

Category: Crisp/Citrus

Rating: 4/5; Throws decently and works pleasantly with my chemistry.

Overall: Wearable and nice, I would definately wear this again. It is "light and invigorating!"

In the imp: Floral with a citrus kick.

Wet: Ooof definitely lime!

Drydown: The lime disappears and I'm left with a floral that although nice enough isn't me at all. I can't detect any notes in particular, not even jasmine which I love, it's just a rather non-descript floral. Nor does it give me the brief stabbing headache that jasmine does. (disclaimer: I have a bit of a hangover today so my nose mightn't be working at 100% :P)

Dry: Oh there's the jasmine! And there's the headache. Oh this is nicer now. The jasmine is light but heady and is dancing just on top of the other notes. It reminds me of a jasmine oil I got in a swap a while back, but lighter and less old fashioned.

Verdict: Not a bottle scent (I'm just not a floral person), but I'll keep the imp afterall. This would be nice on a hot summer's day or evening.

This would probably be a good one for people who like jasmine but tend to find it too strong. It's definitely there, but it's light and not cloying at all.

The lime hits me right away and makes me think of green LifeSavers. And then the jasmine follows. I would never think of either of those to combine well but I would be wrong. The lime keeps the jasmine refreshing and crisp. Muse is a wonderful summer scent!

Muse is so tuberosey! Tuberose is one of those notes that I'm not crazy about. For some reason, it always smells a little like bananas and band-aids to me.

Beyond the tuberose, I can smell the bubblegummy lotus and then the jasmine and the barest breath of lime. The combination strikes me as something I'd like in the air, or perhaps on someone else. But on my skin, it's just too many notes that don't normally do well with my chemistry.

If you like tuberose and lotus, though, Muse would be fantastic!

This is mostly jasmine and lotus on me. Wet, there's a bit of a lingering latrine odor, but not enough to make me want to wash it off. Once it dries, it's a lovely lotus-jasmine blend that doesn't turn too sweet and cloying. There's another floral in there that I assume must be the tuberose that sticks around once a lot of the other notes have worn off. I don't really get the lime at all, and that was one of the main things I was hoping for. Oh well. It's still a beautiful scent for when I'm feeling floral. It's a lot like Forbiddon Fruit was on me, only without that odd musk note.

Muse was pretty straight forward for me and I can't say that it worked out well.

Out of the imp, it smells like a shoe store to me. I don't know what it is which may simply be due to my inexperience, but I can't get the shoe store out of my head.

This never changed even after putting it on and wearing it around for awhile. It makes me feel like I'm surrounded by new shoes. Am I the only one who gets this impression? :P

I'd like to swap this away.

Muse-

In Bottle: Tuberose, yeah, all floral-bright pretty.

Wet: Bright hot ozone-y floral. The tuberose.

Dry: This fades before long; it never really worked as well as I thought it would. The tuberose was sharp and bright and I was hoping it would be a little sweet-warm.

Overall: Not as pleasing as I had hoped.

Initially, this is a strange mix of light notes that have no sweetness at all to them. I think the tuberose is the strongest. I’m really not detecting any lime. It has a certain spiciness, but no warmth whatsoever, which is a peculiar combination.

As it dries, the jasmine kicks in. I still can’t detect lime, and I don’t know what lotus smells like (a bubble-gum scent, from what the forums tell me?), but the jasmine and tuberose are present and accounted for, thank-you-very-much. I might be getting a trace of lotus, but then again, I might not be... hard for me to say.

The jasmine’s presence is definitely increasing as time goes by... definitely! I can pick it up hanging on the air around me now. I have become surrounded by a little cloud of Muse jasmine, and it’s only getting stronger. This is an impressive scent full of many, many small white flowers.

After a bit, the jasmine started fading away. Close up, it has become not fully jasmine, but some lovely jasmine blend that has a positive feel about it... very smooth and creamy. It doesn’t seem like an everyday scent for me, but I do approve of this scent on my skin, and I will enjoy it for appropriate occasions.

In the imp: Wow. Now that's what I call a chilly floral.

Wet: Smeet, creamy, cold and smooth floral- mostly tuberose and jasmine, and I do get a hint of lime (it fades first and foremost.)

Drydown: Much the same, thought th sweetness gains in amplitude to the point of being too much.

Verdict: Nope. Lovely, but not for me.

This has got a kick! When I put on Muse, the scent just *sparkles* with citrus and life and a smoother, rosy finish. So much love for my little imp.

In the imp: A light floral. The scent mostly makes me think "jasmine", but it isn't a really heavy jasmine. It's more evident that there are other notes in this one than in some other jasmine scents I've smelled (like Twilight), though I couldn't necessarily pick them out without looking at BPAL's description. Almost a tiny bit soapy.

On me, it went back and forth for a while between "floral" and "soapy". The floral gave off hints of rose sometimes, but a light rose, not heavy at all. I presume that's the tuberose. Mid-morning or so I kept thinking I smelled just a faint hint of sandalwood, which is odd. I half wondered if I'd mixed up my vials of this and Veil, but no, I distinctly remember the label saying "Muse" this morning. It seemed to last pretty well up until lunchtime or so.

I think this is another one on the "nice scent, but not something I'm going to bother with a full bottle of" pile.

Edit: On further wearings, the lime comes out more, and I've started to like it fairly well. The citrus blends really well with the floral.

Edited by SaraStar

this is a great spring floral. the tuberose and lime are most prominent with the jasmine in the background for once (yay). the tuberose is the strongest note, but i believe the other notes temper its sweetness a bit. very pretty for those who enjoy tuberose.

First Impression: Jasmine.

Dries down to: a soft, bright, fresh floral. I can detect the lotus now, but not the tuberose. It's unusual for me not to amp any type of rose, so this is a pleasant surprise.

Additional Comments: This is a lovely blend. The lime isn't obvious but serves to keep the florals under control. A great everyday scent that would suit almost everyone.

Lasted: 3 - 4 hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

I love this smell, but my skin does not.

I was expecting to violently hate it, and I do not, so this is an improvement.

It goes on like fresh, clean flowers twisted with lime. Very yummy and sparkling. But as soon as it dries the lime disappears completely it goes soapy. Not horrible soapy, not headache-y, but it has a rose finish. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I'm still not sure about it. It's really too bad that my skin is where bad roses come to die. As usual, the rose is amp'd up and overtook everything else. *le sigh* Even so, it is still wearable. Not a favorite, but I do kind of like it.

ETA: a few hours into wearing it the Rose Soap of Death smell goes away and it's actually quite nice. I also LOVE it as a room scent!

Edited by talula_fairie

Muse is a rather amazing little blend. I tested it not knowing what was in it, and I found it on initial application to be very floral, in a round, buttery sort of way. I really couldn't figure out what was in it and suspected ylang-ylang. It had a rather sweet-floral surge, but then it calmed down into a softer, vaguely powdery, slightly spicy scent with a bit of an edge. It's not really "me," but it's very wearable. Then I looked up the ingredients, and holy cats! This has three big monster ingredients for me -- normally tuberose, lotus and jasmine can all be a bit obnoxious on me; in fact, I might have considered this a "nightmare" scent if I'd read the ingredients and not tested it. The fact that I consider this scent wearable attests to how balanced the blend must be, for I get a hint of tuberose, the spice of the lotus, a little bit of a powdery jasmine, and the lime must be doing overtime work to hold them all in line. It was great fun testing this scent, and I think it's one that floral fans could love, and even people who don't love florals could enjoy!

Lessee - citrus and jasmine. Yeah, this should basically suck on me. *sniff* Not as bad as I thought, but these are my nasty florals, and this is floral hell. More jasmine and lotus than anything else. Not really getting citrus here at all.

Too much jasmine for me I'm afraid...

And my boyfriend accused me of spraying myself with air freshener so I think that's a thumbs down...

Overly floral and way too much jasmine for me. I like the tuberose and lime combination though. The lime's sorta cute. Actually now that it's drying it's not quite so bad. I kinda like it. It's turning into a very pretty scent.

All right, I love it. Although the lime runs the risk of making it smell a bit generic, the combination of the flowers and the fruits, far from cloying, is refreshing, sweet, and a little bit sexy. As an bonus, my husband loves this on me.

In the bottle:

Strong lime and jasmine - a good 'wake up' scent, clean and stimulating.

Wet:

Jasmine! Something else I can't identify, but astringent ... lighter fluid? I hope not!

Dry (15 min):

Jasmine, with a good throw on it, and I'm getting puffs of the tuberose and lotus as well. Nothing is shouting lime at me, but there is a bracing quality to this that I am thinking is the citrus. No more lighter fluid, thank goodness. This is definitely a morning scent and would be excellent in a shower soap. Like all the jasmines seem to, this is doing lovely things for me, but unless the throw settles down soon, I'm going to need to remember to use very little at a time.

Later (45 min):

Jasmine and lotus and pretty much pure soap, but that's ok for me in this case because I think I'd be most inclined to use it in a bathwash. It smells clean and stimulating. It's settled down some, but still a pretty strong throw, so a light touch is called for here.

Wind Down (2 hours):

Soft, nondescript clean soap smell.

Verdict:

Too evocative of soap for perfume (not soapY, but smells the way I like my soap to smell), but I'd love to be immersed in this during my morning shower, and I like the way it fades without turning ugly on me. I'll be putting the rest of this imp into some unscented body wash.

In the imp- sweet jasmine with a hint of lime. Deliciously green.

Wet- The jasmine seems amplified on my skin, drowning out any other notes.

Dry- After it sets for a moment, I can detect teasing motes of the rose and lotus. It is beginning to smell like floral soap, with the jasmine still prominent. Sadly, the lime has all but faded out and I'm left with strong jasmine.

I do like this scent, but I liked it better in the imp where I could detect the lime. My skin absorbs and amplifies jasmine, I had forgotten about that. As much as I enjoy this scent it is probably not one I'd want a big bottle of. I think I'll keep this one for when my scent locket arrives.

Oh jasmine, how you refuse to ever work with me. At first this had a lovely lime refreshing element but jasmine, as always took over and drowned out everything else. I like jasmine but single note is not for me!

Mmm. In the imp, this was a generically nice scent; I put it on and now it is ~*~heaven~*~

The florals are all lovely high notes - the jasmine hits just right, and the tuberose gives it a wonderful base. Everything is white and sparkly and the lime kicks in just enough to be DELICIOUS. Not really getting any lotus out of it, but that's ok, I'm sure it's doing its thing somewhere in there and adding extra loveliness. I want to walk around in a big floofy cloud of this!