Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Muse

A light, invigorating floral and citrus blend. Tuberose, lotus and jasmine with a hint of lime.

I can smell limes from the bottle.. not much else.
Flowers have a nasty habit of going powdery on me. This blend is not an exception.. on my skin this ends up smelling like a bitter baby powder with limes. Not that great.. Edited by ShadowsDance

another jasmine blend. jasmine is the thing that jumps out at me upon first sniff. lotus gives me a headache and there is definitely a small amount of citrus that pops out. also the other florals are drowned out by jasmine.

I received this as a freebie in a swap. It's a must for jasmine-lovers. Jasmine works with my skin chemistry about 50% of the time. Unfortunately, it's not working here. It's kind of powdery and old-ladyish. The soft tuberose is noticeable in the background, but it can't compete with the strong jasmine. Surprisingly, since it usually amps on me, I can't pick out the lotus at all. And, there's just a tiny hint of sugary lime. It's as though the jasmine has muted all of the other notes. I'll send this one one its way and hopefully it will work better on the next recipient.

In the bottle: A very pale, translucent yellow. Ow - astringent stunned me for a moment there. On further inspection.. Is that lemongrass?

Wet on skin: A sweet herbal-ish scent.

Upon re-reading lab description: Yes, I'm getting the jasmine more now. I think that hint of lime, too - it's likely what I thought was lemongrass.

On the drydown: Somewhat smoky, like incense. It's quite nice! Shoved my wrist under my mom's nose, and she said, "Smells like a rainforest." And I agree. Kind of a wet smell. My skin has definitely amped the jasmine.

If I test a couple or more scents at a time I like to apply them in places far apart to avoid getting them confused. This is on my knee, and my knee is cold(as in so cold I'm going to shut the open window now), but the throw is tremendous. I barely applied any.

There was a sourish tang of lime to begin but this has quickly died down as all citrus seems to on me, now it's a strong tuberose squishing just about all of the jasmine into submission. There's also a very sexual undertone to this. It's not a powdery scent in a talc way, but there's a hint of flour and also body fluids.

Despite the fact I am finding it quite weird, I do want to keep re-sniffing this

TUBEROSE. That is this blend to me. I wanted the lotus and lime, with some hints of jasmine, and it's all "OH HEY I'M TUBEROSE. NO, YOU MAY NOT HANG OUT WITH ANYONE ELSE. LET'S PLAY!"

I do not want to play with you, tuberose. Go away.

In the bottle - The lime is the most prominant note, with a hint of the jasmine behind it

Wet on me - A slightly sweet tuberose scent with the lime in the background leaving it with an almost murky feel

Dry on me - The lime and the tuberose make a sweet, but slightly screechy floral

Overall - It does what it says on the tin, but doesn't excite me

In the bottle: a crisp, sweet floral that shifts as I spin the bottle, rather like catching sparks of light from a crystal. On my skin: at first, it's a light white floral with an edge of fresh lime. I love the citrus sparkle lending clarity to the florals. As it dries, however, the lime fades and I'm left with a pleasant - if slightly powdery - floral fragrance. This is charmingly innocent and suitable to everyday wear, but I'm afraid it's just not me. I'll pass this on, I think.

Extremely light floral - just the shadows of the blossoms or a vase placed in another room gently wafting to your nose. Brightened by the citrus. Not for me, unfortunately.

To me, this is a spicy berry-like blend, with a touch of incense. Lotus can sometimes make a blend fruity or candy-like on me even when there is no fruit. I don't get any lime or jasmine, though I must admit my nose is somewhat broke right now. Pleasant, I'll certainly enjoy my imp while it lasts.

I like this better than I thought I would. I tend to forget that jasmine actually works really well on me because it's not a note that appeals to my mood most of the time, but Muse is nevertheless a pretty darn good floral. In addition to the heady jasmine, there's definitely zesty lime and something rather melon-y. Would be good for summer.

Imp: Aggressive lime and a little jasmine.

Wet: OMFG. This goes on smelling EXACTLY like jasmine tea. EXACTLY! Hold out for me skin chemistry!

Dry: Boo-urns. It was just a fluke of the formulation. This rapidly turns to normal jasmine smell (I happen to adore jasmine so I'm okay with this) and the lotus blooms a little underneath it. I get some of the lime more in the throw than the up close sniff. Tuberose adds an almost waxy presence to this. It makes it very mature--almost a little too mature to be honest. I feel a little like an impostor. This is heavy, sultry, grown ass woman perfume and I don't think I am quite grown ass woman enough to pull it off.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: One I will consider in my grand dame years.

Frimp in one of my orders.

Damn it, this should have worked. But I suspect one of the florals or the lime note disagrees badly with my skin. I'm inclined to say it's the floral, but then again, I've never really worn lime before.

In the vial, I get sweetish florals with something ever so slightly off. It smells a bit like sea water, although it might be the lime, since I see no ocean or other aquatic notes listed. It's interesting to say the least and not unpleasant . . . just odd. Wet, I get the same but amped up; now it's become unpleasant, because that "off" note has completely taken over and makes the blend smell sweaty. Fortunately, my skin chemistry starts amping the tuberose during the drydown phase and the lime starts to play nice. I LOVE the blend when it's in this phase -- it's a lovely lime rose, unique and unlike anything I've smelled before. It's not quite floral, not quite citrus, but right in-between and just right.

Sadly, when it has fully settled, it turns into a tuberose single note. I like tuberose, but I love BPAL for its ability to take incredibly complex blends and turn them into something magical and evocative. I know the company sold single notes way back, long before I had heard of them, but I'm not really a single note kind of gal. I like at least two to dance around me.

It's so lovely during that drydown phase but the unpleasant twenty minutes after initial application and the resulting single note make this a no-no. I'm so disappointed. As a creative type, I would have loved to wear Muse. :cry2:

Edited by Kejiaron

In the imp: Citru...JASMINE.

Wet: Lime and jasmine and something a little sweeter and fuller.

Dry: Light citrus and floral. It smells like a sunbeam. Light and airy.

A while later: A very light and airy citrus smell. Like lime and sunshine, just a little sweeter. It smells very bright and clean.

Very rarely do I have to wash off a BPAL, other than a cinnamon allergic reaction here and there, but that's what happened with Muse.

First on, magnolia, no, wait, gardenia - okay.

Within a few minutes, it's a horrible fake, uber-sweet, plasticky mess of funeral flowers with a nauseating aquatic undertone.

Big fat no.

JASMINE. Where is the lime? I want some lime. Go away jasmine. Well this scent will be great if you love jasmine.....

Wohaa, should have used just a tiny bit of this - as soon as I put it up someone in the office (10 yards away) said: good god, who just put perfume on!

The Jasmin is overpowering everything else... I can smell a teeny bit of lime though.

It's a bit too much Jasmin for my liking :/

That's a pretty floral. Starts with the jasmine, sharp. mellows into a little bit green, but the flowers are rich and thick.

In bottle: Lime and heavy florals, sadly I’m not good at picking out floral notes though I’m thinking the jasmine is dominant.

Wet: The citrus recedes to just a shading note and the florals really shine.

Dry: The lime helps tone down the beautiful flowers without ever taking the front stage. Its got a strong throw.

Notes: I could see this appealing to floral lovers though make sure you like jasmine and/or lotus!

I hadn't tried any new BPAL in foreverrr so when I found a mysterious imp of Muse rolling around in the bottom of a basket I slathered it on straight away without peeking at the notes. I definitely put on too much, haha.

In the Imp: Nail polish?! It smells like nail polish.

Wet: Flowers. A lick of citrus, lemon or lime. And then pleasant flowers. But, oh, crap. There's an undercurrent of ammonia. My nemesis, jasmine must be here. Cry.

Dry: The citrus burns off relatively quickly. Muse breaks my heart. It smells great and lush, with what must be tuberose, and maybe a hint of magnolia, and some sweet lovely lotus. The problem is, this magic has a discordant rotting undertone that I can only attribute to jasmine. The jasmine gets stronger with time, as does the throw.

Overall: Pretty straightforward scent, I guessed the notes before I saw them! This would be a lovely floral scent, a bit simple, but elegant, if I could stand jasmine. But, alas, I can't. The jasmine is just subdued enough by the other notes that I can see what else is going on at first, but in the end it amps up, takes over, and gives me a wrinkly sad nose and a headache. Woe.

This is a bit screeching to me...my first impression is the produce section of an overcrowded supermarket with fluorescent lighting...I think the citrus and lotus is too much for me. I wanted to love this but glad I received it as a frimp instead of being disappointed with my purchase. Oh well! We can't win em all!

In the imp: Flowery and a teensy bit of lime.

Wet: JASMINE! Might as well be a SN of the stuff, because I'm not getting anything else.

Dry: My skin, the mighty Rose Amper, has beaten the jasmine into nothingness and laughed at my pleas for lotus and lime. It's all rose, all the time.

Also, I was surprised to hear others say that this had such good throw on them. I have to physically touch my nose to my testing spot (back of my left hand where it meets the wrist) to smell anything. Even an inch away, I can barely tell anything's there. This probably means that Muse will sadly be another fast-fader on me.

Just jasmine…and it stays that way on the skin, and into drydown… I asked for this before I realized that anything with jasmine in it stays just jasmine on me. : (

Edited by Dralore

I'm still learning which notes work with me and which ones don't -- and which ones are maybe OK in very small doses with many other notes. For example, I like Defutata, which does have jasmine in it, but that one blend has been a complete anomaly when it comes to jasmine.

:ack: Jasmine and I don't get along. :thud:

I couldn't get past the jasmine to get to any of the other notes.

For someone who likes jasmine, Muse is a good one. But oh-so-not for me.

This makes me think of a pink and green bouquet. Tuberose is a floral I used to love in Fracas, and lime brightens this up nicely. The jasmine is a little funky though. Either way, it's very feminine.