Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
DrapedInKisses

Wild sea rose Recs Please!

I am obsessed with the gorgeous smell of these wild flowers that grow on scraggly bushes in sand dunes by the ocean here in New England. They appear to be a type of rose, they smell rosey but not fresh cut florist rose, not white or red rose.. somewhat like those sherbert pinkey/orange florist roses. I need help tracking down this particular scent.

A beachy wild rose perfume oil would be a dream come true! These flowers grow so close to the sea you can smell the dusty, sun-warmed sand and salty ocean breeze. The flowers specifically smell very wild and feminine rosey with all kinds of attitude. A "high pitched" biting floral scent. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Google tells me this is likely to be Rosa Rugosa. I haven't found it in the catalogue, nor know of the scent personally.

Possibly the Cherokee Rose SN? London (Venerable Victorian Tea Rose… twisted, blackened and emboldened with wickedness) possibly? It's a tea rose, but it could work!

Augh I swear I had a scent in my collection with a 'chinese rose' in it that might have worked, if only I could find the name...? Ah, it's Psychodynamic Discharge, though it's a big blend of a lot. (Repressed rage, terror, and subjugated sexuality erupting through fierce bursts of uncontrollable psychic phenomena: black leather and red musk with aged black patchouli, Chinese rose, black pepper, coconut meat, Haitian vetiver, and igneous red ginger)

Or, for something impossibly heady and wafty, try The Raptures and Roses of Vice (Red roses, heady Moroccan musk, cinnamon, lobelia, coconut flesh, magnolia blossoms, and tobacco tar) - a personal favourite. In my opinion it is like being surrounded by a rose plume that is sensual and heady, with touches of creaminess and spice.

I'm sure there are many others that people will suggest, I'm just going through a personal database with scents that interested me and/or I've tried. :)

I am in New England too, and have a hedge of Dog Roses. They smell wonderful in summer! The closest scent to them that I've tried so far is Two, Five and Seven from the GC Mad Tea Party. It's got grass instead of beach, but it's all rose, all the time.

Hmmm....I wonder if it might be similar if you mixed Two, Five, and Seven with The Pool of Tears?

I grew up on the Cape, and love the scent of the beach roses and ocean. Add some fog to the mix and it's my favorite scent from childhood.

Rosa Rugosa yes! Thank you!! I can look out for that specific rose now and its common names; saltspray rose, beach rose, Turkestan rose. I googled searched Dog Roses as well, those smell equally lovely. Ahh the sea. I will most certainly try Two, Five and Seven and track down Pool of Tears.

Beach roses! Something with the fresh wild smell of them growing out of the sand with the taste of salt wind straight off the waves and sun . . .it's not just "a rose" and "sometimg wet and sort of oceany" - it's the rose of summer from my childhood. The impossible dream. :)

I used to have a Yankee Candle named 'Roses of Cliff Walk,' and that was very close to what I remember. It's very hard for any traditional rose scent to hit that because it's... um, a more grassy, slightly more upturned (? I can't describe it any other way) rose, lighter for sure, slightly spicy, but also the salt air made it smell a touch ozonic... But it never read to me as 'lush' or 'creamy.' So maybe trying to stay away from the pure Red Rose note Beth uses (that one is beautiful, but I always think of traditional roses when I smell them), and anything described as 'creamy.'

Um... hrm...

The sad thing is Yankee hasn't made that scent for a while, and I think my mother may have given away one of my old ones (the nightmare of a hoarder - let one thing go and then you crave it forever).

I like Maiden, but that is a very carnation-y blend, however on me it's the lightest and least 'lush' rose possible. So, sorry I can't be more help. /rambling/

I wonder if you were to layer 'The Rose' with 'Cthulhu' or even 'A Fit of Artistic Enthusiasm' (more The Rose, less the following) if that would get the salty light rose going.

Edited by Lycanthrope

I remember a candle by the name of "Saltmist Rose" that I adored. Always wanted that ozoney, beachy rose in a perfume. That same (unknown, but I want to say it was Yankee Candle from decades ago) company did a "Beach Plum" candle that I also loved.

Sign in to follow this