Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Glittering, ductile amber wet with carrot seed and bittersweet grey musk.

Get this. Get it NOW. :joy: The Carrot seed makes this seem like champagne on my skin...but not the nauseating kind. It's slightly effervescent. The grey musk is slightly sweet but not overwhelming and the amber...maybe this is the glittering part...is amazing. Subtle and not overwhelming. GET THIS NOW...you need it. If you love amber and grey musk...you will love it. :wub2:

I was expecting so much more from this than I got wet, so was sort of disappointed, but after about 20 min I realized it had morphed into something I rather liked. I still have not been able to discern what, exactly, is carrot seed, and this confounds me, but the amber and musk combine here to make a gentle and comforting scent, rather like an old cashmere scarf wrapped around your neck to keep out the winter chill.

Preconceived notions: My experience was a bit different from the other reviewers, but here goes. Please take into account I am relatively new at this and I haven't smelled many single notes. I have never smelled grey musk or carrot seed oil single notes or even in a blend. Due to my lack of experience I normally would wait a little longer to have a better review for the public, but as there are only 2 reviews prior, I hope that my review may help someone, befuddled and naive as it may be, so here goes. I really expected to love this as I love earthy blends, and thought the carrot seed would be herbal or earthy and I could roll in amber forever. I like most musks, with white musk that has not aged much being an exception to that. I figured with grey musk, we'd probably be safe and the amber would make the drydown loveable.

In the decant: Honeydew melon starbursts. Yeah, I know, weird, huh? This is making my mouth literally water like biting into a Starburst candy. It does actually smell a bit like carrots that have been pureed into a smoothie.

Wet: Perfumey, musky, melon fruity with an aquatic edge. No booziness or champagne here, just juicy and slightly sweet. I have no frame of reference to describe the gray musk here but it still smells a bit like melons or perhaps a smoothie (puree of juices) with squash, melons, and carrots or other vegetable matter, but these are fresh veggie juices, no wilting or decay. The wheatgrass and carrot juices at Jamba juice maybe.

Early dry phase: Sweet and musky with a hint of fruit or vegetable juice. I keep snuffing my wrist but I am not sure if it is because I have never smelled anything like this before or I really like it.

Drydown: I get a hint of the amber and it is lovely but not as golden as the amber in The Lion or Bastet. The musk has become less fruity for wont of a better word and sweeter with good throw (sillage). It has a floral quality without smelling like any floral note that I can recall. This blend overall is quite unique, and I really have no similar olfactory experience, so I am having a difficult time describing this. The musk here is closer to black or green musk than red or white. I would describe it as cool and feminine, not masculine, dirty or funky. Think Cathode without the mint or moss and we are getting a little closer to what this reminds me of.

Late drydown: Keeps getting sweeter and the amber is becoming dominant. I really like amber, so I like this. I still get a hint of the carrot seed, and its different, almost sweet, vegetable and not quite like dirt or leaves, but leaning in that direction. The dew on the vegetables. The aquatic part is less prominent and more like vegetable juice not salt water or tears as you may expect. At this point it has become that compulsive wrist to nose type of scent. I cannot stop snuffing, but again, not sure if this is curiosity or that it is addictive--maybe both. It is going strong after 8 hours with medium sillage (throw).

Final thoughts: I am quite torn, as this is so unique and I think it will age into something that will be sought after, especially for amber lovers. I can already envision layering this, especially with florals to give them some depth. The wet phase is odd, and at times, nearly as headache inducing as white musk can be, which gives me pause with regards to getting a bottle. I think the headache floral aspect will age out and the amber will become more resinous and golden with time, hence this will become more like gold and tears, literally. I will have to retest but I am likely to cave in and get the bottle just to see how it ages. Wondering how this would layer with its partners in the series, Ruined Roses and/or Tears Wrung Forth. Overall, I like smelling like a vegetable smoothie as long as the headache part doesn't persist. The drydown is very lovely, but I have multiple amber blends I adore that cannot compete with this, at least until the amber is aged more. Instinct tells me to get a bottle and age it, as I like the wet phase and dry phase, and i think the drydown will just get better and better, but I cannot say I just love it. I have nothing like it. Must retest in about 2 weeks.

Edited by sprout

Gold and Tears is glittering in the same way that the champagne blends are effervescent...there's definitely a shared quality between the two. It's also one of the strongest perfume oils I've tried in a while. It's really strong! Just a dab will do ya. The combo of amber, carrot seed, and grey musk is very peculiar and tough to describe. I also pick up on something watery in here (reminds me slightly of the warble-y amber from House of Mirrors). Wet, it's almost too much on me—it's sweet and musky and almost fruity, if there was a bright sweet fruit that smelled like musk. Dry, everything calms down a lot, and the carrot seed comes forward (smells a bit like carrots and earth and something herbal to me?), which is great. It ends as a sweet carrot musk, which is better than it sounds. I really enjoy the ride and it's wildly unique. I'll let this one age a bit before making a final decision.

Glittery, slightly aquatic amber. I do agree that the carrot seed comes off as both glittering, aquatic, and somewhat like champagne. Mixed with the grey amber, it's golden and shiny. Great throw, great wear length.

And despite it all, this isn't all that compelling to me. Yeah, its gorgeous but sometimes a girl has to know that a beautiful ballgown just doesn't work with her body type because of the cut.

this is such a pretty scent! and it does have that champagne-y effervescent to it. at first it seems to be all grey musk and carrot seed. it's fresh and sort of ethereal. does make tears come to mind and after awhile the gold (amber) comes forth warming it up a bit. this is so pretty and oddly comforting to me. it seems to remind me of another bpal kind of, but i can't recall which one, however it's also pretty unique. glad i got a decant of this.

I love this. I might break my no backups rule for this.

warmth from the musk, sweetness from the amber, spicness from the carrot seed.

this is rich and elegant, WITH GLITTER. it has that wonderful "bpal smell" that I adore.

there is an effervescence, but it reminds me more of the mimosa note beth uses than of champagne.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Edited by annemathematics

Bright, cheery, fruity, and spicy. I'm getting a bit of bright citrus and amber at first, followed by red fruits, then spice. Not sure why, as there is no fruits or citrus in the description. There's something in here that smells like the spice from Hellion, so it reminds me a bit of it. This review is all over the place, I don't know if I like it or not. It smells like something I'd like to drink on a hot day, you know when you're really thirsty and gulp a delicious drink down. It also reminds me of the scent that a Booster Juice juice may make.

This is seriously wonderful, uugghh. I complain mention every so often that my skin really just obliterates BPAL oils, so they never smell very strongly or last very long, so this one was a pleasant surprise!

First on, it's actually a but unpleasant. It smells a bit amber-y but somehow wet, sorta bubbly. I guess that's the champagne like thing others have mentioned (never had any, so I wouldn't know!). If you make it past that, however, you next get hit with...i guess it's whatever makes the musk grey and the carrot seed! It's not watery, but it is wet. I'm sorry - I know that doesn't help, but I don't know how else to describe it. It's not unpleasant here, it's just not what I expected from musk and amber either (but, again, I have no idea what makes a musk grey).

Finally, everything sort of settles down to a powdery amber, lots of powdery amber, with the musk settling behind and having amber's back. There's a something else to the scent - carrot seed I guess - when I put my nose close, and I'm guessing that's helping the amber-powder not be as plain as a single note of it would be.

It stayed on my skin for a good three hours? or so, and I caught whiffs of it every so often as I moved around getting things done. I wouldn't say it really has throw on me - you still would have to have been pretty in my bubble to have caught it - but compared to other scents this just lasted and lasted.

So, very pretty, powdery amber with a bit of flavor, and it lasts! Will have to keep my eyes out for a bottle.

Imp: Amber, and a bizarre sweetness I can't place that must logically be carrot seed.

Wet: Sweet, and slightly aquatic. Carrot seed is weird. It also seems to be making me sneeze.

Dry: Slightly metallic in the dry-down, and the sneezing fit lasted a good hald hour. Later, once that settled, this morphed into almost pure amber, more earthy than Mouse's Long and Sad Tale (which is my go to amber scent) and not quite as sweet.

Life was quite decent, 8-10 hours, with a medium throw. I might keep it for a while, but if that sneezing repeats, to the sale pile.

Stars: ★★★½

Wet: Wow. Glittering is a great descriptor for this. It doesn't smell like anything I am familiar with, which is crazy, because musk and amber are two of my favourite notes. I have to assume this is carrot seed I am smelling? If so, it's utterly stunning. Unlike anything I have smelled before. It's almost citrusy, but not quite. Almost green, but not quite. Fresh, but somehow rich. Hovering on the edge of herbal? Or maybe outdoorsy is a better word? I don't know. I give up, I can't describe this. It's lovely.

Dry: There's something clean about this, but it's not what I would typically classify as an aquatic at all. It's lovely. The amber and musk are like no other notes I have smelled before once they are combined with the carrot seed, which is also one of the neatest things I have ever smelled. This is completely unique on me, and I love it. Also totally work appropriate, which is awesome for me. Doesn't smell "perfumey" at all, which is rare for anything with amber in it Low throw, more of a skin scent, which is rare for musk. Unique! Lovely.

Edited by LizziesLuck