Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
HerbGirl

The Onnagata and the Pillow Roll

THE ONNAGATA AND THE PILLOW ROLL

White musk and Himalayan cedar with bergamot, rose absolute, white patchouli, pink peppercorn, and hay absolute.

The cedarwood, oh the cedarwood!
It was all i could smell two nights ago, and it is still very heavy. (I think this is a softer handed use of the cedar used in Our Hearts Condemn Us?) Dry, the white patchouli, hay and white musk are starting to peak through. This is beautiful but i want to smell the pink pepper...i am hoping some age will allow it to surface. As of right now, the rose, bergamot and pepper are mia.

Eta 01 March 2024

Wow, I was the first reviewer for this one, too?! Anyhow. I'm wearing this today and it is just so beautiful. The cedar is very prominent but the hay is what I'm smelling most with a bit of the white patchouli. Still no rose, bergamot or pink pepper for me and this is a different bottle from my original review, so it must just wear this way on me since folks after me got those notes. Almost a decade later, this is still so lovely. The hay absolute really shines here. 

Edited by HerbGirl
Reviewing 9 years later

The Onnagata and the Pillow Roll is a beautiful cedar blend. Cedar sometimes gets a bad rap, but it's a lovely wood note! And the Himalayan cedar note is so contemplative and mellow. Paired with the rose, bergamot, and white patchouli, there's a really meditative vibe going on here. The pink peppercorn and hay absolute are much fainter on me.

Wet, this is cedar plus a lot of lovely, blurry complexity. Dry, the cedar and bergamot do something on my skin that smells a bit sharp. I'm going to age this a bit and test again, because there is so much going on here that I enjoy! The white patchouli is just as lovely as ever, par exemple. Those whom cedar loves...this is your Shunga! ;)

Pink pepper, cedar and roses. This is too much. It smells very asian, very sensual, and very in your face. It's a very aggressive pink blend. In some ways it makes me think of being attacked by kabuki makeup. It doesn't matter if you want to have kabuki make up on, you're getting kabuki make up. Excellent throw (obviously!), and decent wear length.

If you like roses, you like pepper, and you like cedar, give this a whirl.

All cedar ALL THE TIME! With the faintest hint of rose at the full dry down. I am hoping some aging brings out more of the notes because I feel it can be a really interesting scent.

not huge on the cedar love here, but i love rose and musk and this scent sounded interesting nonetheless. at first it's definitely CEDAR! and white musk, then i get a hint of the hay and bergamot followed by the rose and patchouli. this smells almost a bit cedar-soapy on me, probably from the combination of cedar and rose. this is actually one of the few scents where cedar didn't get too leadlike on me! however, it's not really my cup of tea so i will probably swap this one.

This settles down into a rather complex but nice spicy cedar-floral blend, fairly delicate but a little too high for me and in final dry down it reminds me of others blends I already have (oddly, White Rose, a fav). I don't think I'd reach for this often, so I'll just enjoy the tester (a little goes a loooong way) rather than get a bottle.

Vetiver at first, or maybe it's the cedar interpreting it that way to me. After a bit, pickle juice. I had this in my 'better try quick' pile, because I liked it in the imp. Skin, a different story. I should know better, white musk has never worked on me.

In the decant: Cedar and hay, w/ hints of the rose and the pink pepper.

Wet: The cedar and hay retreat in the face of the other notes.

The dry-down: Now, all the notes are blending in a sort of dried floral/woodsy bouquet. If cedar doesn't amp on you, and you like the idea of dried roses tossed in the hay, this may be worth trying. :) A very pleasant springtime perfume.

Edited by thekittenkat