Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Atrous

Minamoto no Yorimasa and the Lotus Flower

MINAMOTO NO YORIMASA AND THE LOTUS FLOWER

Lotus root, lotus petals, and blue lotus absolute with frankincense, black amber, and blackcurrant.

I love me some Lotus so a scent with the first three notes listed as Lotus was a no-brainer.

Doesn't really morph from wet to dry but there were a few moments where this scent threatened to go in the direction of Lotus scented soap. Thankfully, it pulled away from going in that direction.
So, yes, the star is Lotus. Quiet, serene Lotus with a very, very light dose of Frank and Amber supporting it. Currant is my favorite of the Lab's fruit notes and it's perfect in Minamoto. It lends some fruity sweetness. It's not fruit candy but candy-ish in the sense that I smell the fruit and the candy aspects together. Also, this scent oscillates between powdery and slightly creamy.
Light, close to the skin, feminine.

In the imp: Oddly chemical, slightly sour. Very, very faint even in the imp.

Wet on my skin: Huh. Where is it...? I know I can vaguely smell something floral, but...

Dry: Oh, THERE it is! It took a few minutes, but now there is a delicate, silvery cloud of lotus, frankincense, and blackcurrant floating around me. The only thing on my skin is faint black amber and maybe some currant juice, and the rest of it is just floating about in the air. It's very very pretty, feminine, and sweet, though not so sweet that only girly-girls could wear it. It is silvery-blue, verging on lavender, and shimmery. It's nice, and I will be keeping the bottle even if I don't use it too often.

Frankincense, amber, and lotus. To me, the lotus is a silvery-blue aquatic element over the resins. On wet, I thought I got a whiff of the black currant. Typically lotus smells like bubble gum to me, and this one smells only of that faintly and vaguely on a deeper whiff. Average throw and average wear length.

Watery resins and amber.

On wet, the lotus has that slightly medicinal, bitter aspect to it. It reminds me of Sea of Tranquility. As it dries it becomes a lovely, reserved floral scent. I look for the different parts and kinds of lotus that are in it and there is a fleshy or pulpy scent that could be the lotus root or could be the amber interacting with other ingredients.

Dry it is an amazing delicate floral scent, more dry than sweet, when I sniff my wrist directly (which I do often because it is so gorgeous and interesting). After about 40 minutes it seems to disappear when I sniff my wrist but I can still smell it wafting around me in a slight cloud of delicate scent. It is slightly richer now and there is a tiny bit of sweetness from the fruit.

To me it smells elegant and pretty, bluish-white or silvery in tone.

I'm not generally a big fan of lotus, and blackcurrant is often a death note. But tested this anyway. There's a harsh almost chemical edge in the imp and wet on skin… and yeah, there it is, the blackcurrant misbehaving. Which is a shame, because the lotus *isn't* going bubble-gummy for once. As I feared, so not for me.

So looking forward to trying this out, with all the lotus.

In the imp: Almost sweet. I'm actually getting more of the blackcurrant than the floral, though.

Wet on skin: Well, I'm getting a little more of a melon scent off of this now. There is a bit of the floral coming through.

Dried down: Still a little melon-y. And also a little tart. That's weird.

Throw: Not getting much right now.

Verdict: ** 1/* Sigh. I'm starting to think I'm more in love with the concept of lotus than the actual scent. I'll probably keep trying, though.

Lotus, lotus, lotus. Need I say more? Pretty much lotus SN, almost identical to the lab's eight petalled lotus. Pretty, but I don't need any more.