Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Mercury

Mercury

Expanding The Intellect - Quick Wit - Mental Agility - Communication - Travel -Calculation - Analysis - Learning - Teaching - Gambling - Study - Creativity -Magickal Acumen - Good Conversation - Chance Happenings - Adaptability

In the bottle: deep lavender with a hint of warm spice (cinnamon?), and possibly some other herbs? it's like a soothing aromatherapy scent, very nice.

Wet on skin: here comes the cinnamon, peeping out of the lavender-herb scent…

Dry on skin: mmm, this is lovely-it reminds me of the Hierophant and, perhaps not surprisingly, TAL Hermes. It's lavender with a sweet, slightly fruity cinnamon note (maybe there's orange here too), and possibly a wood note-maybe cedar or sandalwood? There may be some other herbs and spices in there too, but it's mainly lavender and cinnamon.

After a while: the lavender has faded and now I get a pleasant spice scent on my skin. There's cinnamon in here, as well as some more savoury spices-I think there may be some pepper now, or nutmeg. It now smells a bit like AC's Money Draw, only milder and possibly with a woody note. It doesn't smell too much like Hermes any more but it still reminds me of the Hierophant. One thing's for sure-this smells like a magickal blend, a ritual scent, it has that 'secret voodoo spice' blend I've smelt in other magickal BPAL oils, and it's pretty fitting for Mercury's more hermetic connotations.

There are also times when this smells a bit like a more herbal-spicy Sol, which makes sense considering that Mercury's the closest planet to the sun!

The drydown is a warm, sweet, slightly fruity-floral-herbal spice.

Verdict: this is another one of my new favourite Celestial blends. It reminds me at the beginning of TAL Hermes (which isn't a surprise!) but the drydown is reminiscent of the Hierophant, but with that almost savoury spice scent that I have found in a few TAL blends (the so called 'voodoo' blend I've heard about). At first, it's lavender, but on the skin, a sweet cinnamon note comes out. I also get something like sweet orange sherbet mingled with the cinnamon, and other herbs and spices, and possibly some woody notes. whilst I still prefer Hermes, I really like this scent and I would like a few 'mercurial' qualities in my life right now, and I think Beth's captured the planet's attributes well, for example, it has a scent and feel more like a ritual oil than a perfume, which is fitting with Mercury's more esoteric, hermetic, magickal aspects. Even so, the scent is very enjoyable, cheerfully spicy and warm, and I'm very fond of it.

Edited by Shollin

Mercury is very intense lavender and similar herbs as what are in Sol, with a smattering of cassia on top of it all. It's very calming and centering, and deeply moving. I put some on the other night to test before bed, and I had the first dreams I've had since Christmas with its help -- now I can't shut the dreams up. LOL

Oooh, I'm not keen on this one I get a Very Potent Lavender from the bottle.

On my skin still the lavender, but something else, spicier than cinnamon, Anise I think, mixed in with it, that I can vaguely smell, which blends into the lavender to give it a strange warmth.

Left on my skin for a little longer the Anise comes out more & the pure Lavender Essential Oil smell, receeds a bit, to become a softer lavender & I'm actually starting to like this a bit now, there is something else here too, now, something just a little bit woody & green, but I don't think it's pine...whatever it is there is just the tiniest hint of it, no more than a single drop in a 5ml bottle.

After about 10 mins the Anise smell mellows into a more pleasant cinamon & the blend is now ever so slightly sweet, which I think is a development of the woody / green fragrance I mentioned earlier, possibley Benzoin, or Tonka Bean maybe.

I'd say beware of this oil separating, as I've used the same imp, on both wrists, & I'm not wearing anything other than Mercury, & On the first wrist I applied it to, I still have the very potent Lavender, but on the my other I have what I mentioned above.

Hmmm, I'm still quite undecided as to whether I like it or not if I'm honest, I'll wear it today & see how it goes

ETA 20 mins on & I'm now getting some sage through here, a lot less lavender, but the cinnamon's still around too...

Edited by AngelFireHeart

Three word review: Yikes! It burns! :P

Okay--so maybe I can't wear Mercury, but that won't stop me from using it, because I believe this to be true genius in a bottle. I actually got a sniff of this several months back when the wonderful shelldoo frimped me with a decant. As soon as I got a whiff, the first words that came to mind were "Movement" and then, "Rush". It's an urgent, invigorating smell, yet still very pleasant; astringent lavender with a edgy cinnamon heat.

Hence, the whole burning thing.

I think I'm especially sensitive to cinnamon, at least in certain blends, but it's okay because I intend to slather my candles with this, burn it in my oil burner and just plain old sniff it straight from the bottle on those nights when the words need to come just a little bit faster.

Hats off to Beth--like I said, genius in a bottle! :D

Oh. Wow. Um. *cough*

In the bottle? It's STRONG. Seriously. I thought I was going to pass out!

Actually, at first I thought it smelled exactly like the shaving cream my father uses! Which is both disturbing and calming. Go figure :/

On skin, it first started out as all lavender. And I loathe lavender. Seriously loathe it. However, soon it settled down - it's got a touch of spice to it, now.

Hmm. Yes. On dry down and wearing, it's stayed mainly lavender, with the tiniest hint of something spicy under it. Either my nose is not that sophisticated (not unlikely) or it's really faint, but I just can't pin the note. *shrugs*

Either way, I'm debating the merits of keeping this, as I don't think I'll be wearing it that often.

It's lovely, just not my taste.

I read the reviews for Mercury before it went live again for one day, and though... meh, that doesn't sound like a good combo. Cinnamon and lavender? Hrmph.

And then I kicked myself repeatedly once I got an imp of it and saw what I missed out on. Then I went into a mad scramble to find a bottle for sale.

Lavender + cinnamon is the most interesting combination ever. I adore it. I can't quite describe what it does to my mood but it's calming and bouyant and "confident" in a very strong way. It doesn't change much for me between the vial and my skin. I can't tell any change that occurs.

Just apply lightly or use it as a room scent if you're sensitive to cinnamon.

I gave this a 4 out of 5 stars.

Wet: Cinnamon & lavender. Weird combination, and not something I'd think of putting together.

Initial dry: still very lavendery with a hint of cinnamon.

Drydown: the cinnamon stays on as the prominent note, getting warmer & sweeter as it dries. The lavender fades away slowly, giving an overall clean-ish scent. It's oddly comforting and lovely. I could see this one getting a lot of wear.

Lavender & cinnamon. Sounded odd together, but I like both these things so gave it a try. Now I'm wondering why this combination isn't found all over the place. My god, this is gorgeous! I can't say if it's brought out any Mercurial qualities in me, since I'm at home reading, but it's so warm and inviting and I can't stop sniffing. :P

I usually have only mild problems with cinnamon (hardly ever, but even then not a problem if I keep it on my wrists), but this does burn a little. Don't let it get anywhere near sensitive areas! I think I may buy a scent locket so I can enjoy the scent fully without having to dilute with lotion.

Edited by spanishviolet

This is such a striking and unusual scent. Musty lavender is the dominant note for me, but it's backed strongly by the cinnamon and something lemony. The result, however, is an odd metallic zing--not unpleasant, but certainly puzzling. I'm not sure what to make of it!

As it dries, the herbal notes kick in more strongly, and--this will sound weird--it starts to remind me of chicken soup. Not the chicken or the savory smell, really, but there's some combination of herbs that I associate with it. It's a fascinating scent, but I don't think it's for me.

In Bottle: Floral and spicy

On Skin: I smell cinnamon right off the bat, it gives me the “nose-burn” like it always does. I also smell a bitter floral… others have said lavender, but it doesn’t smell sweet enough to me. I smell hebs again, another medicinal note. I see this as a good scent for inspiration and keeping alert. It is very potent and makes my eyes water a bit. I can say for sure that even though I like the intent of this oil, the actual scent is too much of a turn off. I really, REALLY don’t want to smell like this. Yeah… hmmm… must wash off… :P

I am ordering all of the Celestials, and I never read the reviews before I try each oil, so I had no idea what to expect from Mercury, but I figured it'd be an in-your-face kind of scent.

In the bottle, I got weird herby wetness. I didn't even really want to try it based on that. Once on, though, WHAM, helloooo cinnamon! I felt an enormous warming sensation and my whole neck was lit up with bright redness like a sunburn (strangely, my wrists had no reaction, and they usually do with Bengal or other cinnamons). There are herby undertones that definitely remind me of Sol, so I'm assuming they share some elements (which makes sense if you think about Mercury and Sol!). For that reason I definitely see why several people have said they find it comforting. I agree, and that's the same thing I found with Sol.

I really love it, and the warming sensation has stayed with me even though I can't even smell the cinnamon that strongly now unless I sniff my wrist. The redness on my neck only lasted for 30-45 minutes and it never got to the itchy or welt stage, thankfully. I am really happy with this one!

Initial cinnamon/lavender was great, but the drydown was disappointingly like Sol's: sour, cheap cologne smell. It reminded me of Zephyr, which was so much so that I had to scrub it off. I wish I knew what notes those were so I could reliably avoid them.

In the vial: Very green! Faintly soapy, which I know is the lavender. I'm not so much a lavender fan but we'll see how it goes.

Wet: You know, I forgot there was cinnamon in this. Certainly didn't smell it in th vial. But on my skin, it pops out, blending (odly enough) rather than fighting with the lavender.

Drydown: Oh. My. Gosh. ... this is so good. I seriously wasn't expecting this to work but it's SO GOOD. I haven't tried it for ritual or anything, but the scent is just ... wow.

Capricious and mercurial (er...): Lavender and cinnamon toy with my senses in a playful sort of way. It's purple and red and silver all at once and each taking its turn. Crazy, man.

Lavender and cinnamon should not smell good together. It makes my brain hurt so badly. Ow.

I got this from wolfgrrl/roostersgrrl on a total hunch. My sun and mercury® are both in virgo, ruled by mercury. We have an odd relationship, this planet and I. And now I have Beth's vision of what it smells like. So.Very.Good.

Cinnamon had me a bit scared because Three Witches turned me into an altoid, but Mercury redeemed cinnamon for me. When I first put it on it smelled herby and sort of metalic. The lavender was there and just a hint of spice. The cinnamon comes out a lot during the drydown but isn't over powering. This seems like a head-clearing sort of scent. I can see it as something that I put on in order to focus. I like it but it's not an every day sort of scent for me.

In the bottle: Cinnamon is the first thing to hit me, and then something herbal. It has that Vic's VapoRum smell, but not as strongly as Nero. There's some Lavendar in there. It's kind of... metallic. Is that a smell?

On my skin: Cinnamon. Oh so cinnamon. It's nicely spicy... kind of invigorating actually. It makes me want to get up and go. There's something underneath it though... something that I can only describe as cold and blank... a little desolate smelling. Kind of metallic.

Final Thoughts: I'm really liking the Celestials so far. I mean, I've only tried Jupiter, Sol and Mercury, but all three have been great and have worked well on me. Not sure how often I will wear this... on days I'm feeling particularly sluggish I can see it being beneficial though!

In the bottle: Mostly lavender, like an aromatherapy oil. There's also a slightly orangey scent to it.

Wet: The orange becomes stronger and the lavender has completely disappeared. There's also a slightly nutty scent in there, but I can't put my finger on it.

Drydown: There's still quite a bit of citrus here, bright and happy, probably orange or mandarin... but I wouldn't exclude lemon, either. The lavender blends with it in a very subtle way, so that I can't pick it out as a separate note. In the background I get a scent like nutty cinnamon biscuits, really delicious, nearly foody. It mixes harmoniously with the citrus scent.

Overall: A delightful blend. I really wouldn't have thought that cinnamon could go with citrus and lavender, but it does. It's particularly invigorating and uplifting, and I find that it clears the head and helps concentration. It's very much Mercury in that respect, it's something that I use for long studying sessions, when I feel my mind's giving out. Besides, it smells yummy, which is a huge plus.

In the bottle, it's cinnamon with a spray of mint and sugar; honestly, it smells like cinnamon gum tastes. Once on, the cinnamon tones down and leaves a dusty scent behind, more herbal now and not so foody. There's something else I can't quite place, it's green but not floral. Hmm. I can't stop sniffing at my wrist, it's pretty and inspiring and lively. After it has dried out, there's a citrus tang to it, like clove oranges and at the same time distinctly not. It's sweet and spicy with a touch of dusty to it, but not dust. More like... hmm. Ground cinammon, really. Even on the die down, this scent was cool and vaguely spicy with a sweet almost tender cloy to it. Not much throw at all but absolutely wonderful all around. Oh I like this one very much!

Imp: Vetiver, something citrusy, a wood. Can't pick out anything very clearly.

Wet: Cinnamon? Vetiver still there, wet and musty wood, citrus has morphed darker, probably because of the cinnamon.

Dry: A nice pink welt on my arm, shit. Smells like cinnamon oatmeal, kinda nice. DEFINATELY cinnamon in here, probably what's now making me itch after 5 minutes. Shit!

Category: Cinnamon/Vetivert

Rating: 1.5/5; allergic reaction is bad, scent is little wierd.

Overall: Would be sorta nice if you liked odd scents. The notes don't necessarily blend well together. I know it's a planetary blend so it's not meant as a straight perfume like most others. Could work for my purposes in a burner.

And now that I read others' posts, I realize that it's the cinnamon and PINE making me itchy. Dammit! I wanted to love this blend!

Mercury - Initially, all I can smell in this is cinnamon. Cinnamon, as it usually does on me, completely overwhelms any other notes in this blend. It also burns my wrist, although it leaves only the lightest trace of pinkness where I applied it. It’s definitely not one I could wear anywhere else on my skin! As the blend dries, the cinnamon remains very strong, but I also detect a touch of lavender and the tiniest hint of dark, bitter herbs in the mix. The throw is light and the staying power is minimal. This scent is definitely not for me and I hope it finds a more loving home.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Lavender-cinnamon.

Preconceived notions: I'm betting on a cinnamony blend.

In the imp: Cinnamon and... lavender. Not good.

On skin, wet: Warm cinnamon and sharp, biting lavender. I love cinnamon, but lavender and I... not friends.

On skin, dry: An odd combination, lavender and cinnamon. The cinnamon calms down as it dries, and the lavender becomes much stronger, easily the dominant note. Loud, spicy lavender.

Conclusion/Notes: Cinnamony lavender, but lavender all the same. I'm not a lavender fan, so I won't be seeking this out in bottle form.

straight sniff from bottle is really mouthwatering to me!!! :P

kind of a sort of a tea cookie....sumpin...hmmmmm :D

applied the lavender turns really creamy and the cinnamon is oh

so lovely!!! not harsh or bitey whatsoever...smooth and elegant

the components in this blend are just marvelous and i will be loving

my bottle for many months to come :D

First whiff: lavender and cinnamon. Weirdest thing ever. Also, it's burning my skin like a mofo right now.

Drydown: the burning feeling is gone pretty fast, fortunately. The lavender scent is quite strong, and slightly sweet. It's surprising, unusual, but really pleasant, actually. The cinnamon asserts itself more through the drydown - although never getting in-your-face the way it can in some blends (*coughcassiacough*), coming down to a balanced cinnamon/lavender that also sweetens, but not cloyingly so. This is what a lavender candy would smell like, if you can imagine it!

The throw is strong at first, but after two or three hours, it turns into a soft skin scent, unfortunately - but still lovely, as it is a mellows more and more, to the point you can't really tell the lavender and cinnamon apart.

Verdict: I really like it - the scent is absolutely unique, to start with, and very, very pleasantly so. I couldn't tell how exactly, but it does evoke Mercury to me, especially in the "quick wit", "mind agility" aspect.

8/10

Mercury, in the vial, reminds me of something typical of aromatherapy, perhaps lavender, with other things in the mix that I can’t pick. On my skin it becomes spiciness (cinnamon?) on a sweet, perhaps fruity, base which sets off the spices nicely. This becomes sweeter as the edge of spiciness fades, and it is a rather gentle and subtle smell.

This was a very mercurial scent, in every sense of the word. A group of us all tried it on last night, and each and every one of us had a different changeable scent.

In the imp, I was a bit afraid that I'd have an allergic reaction because it smelled so very sharp. But happily, I did not. When I first applied the scent, I smelled just like a cinnamon stick! After a bit, the cinnamon receded, but never went entirely away. Sadly, it had no staying power on me at all - in an hour and a half it was completely gone.

On my friends? On one woman, it smelled of spice tea - clove, cinnamon, and hint of orange peel. On another, it smelled of oregano, pleasant but overwhelmingly herbal. On a third, the predominate note was lime. What a fun blend!

Edited by harmonyfb