Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Marshmallow root, coconut, macadamia milk, cream accord, and a drop of golden amber.

Whew, I really thought I would enjoy this one, but sadly that's not the case...

This for me is coconut and buttery popcorn. I'm assuming the popcorn I'm smelling is the macadamia. The cream in this blend is really nice, it's very soft and reminds me somewhat of the creamy note in Boo which is one of my favorites, but the coconut is just too overpowering and the macadamia is too buttery and weird on my skin.

I'm afraid this one is off to swaps.

Holy crap. Hollllllly craaaap.

I was sort of iffy about this since none of the vulvas have worked for me, but what a good blind buy.

In the bottle it's mostly just coconut and I can't tell anything else.

As it dries it's the mallow note I love with coconut and it's toasted and incredible. A foody scent I'd actually wear. Amber hates me, and so far, it hasn't come out to play at all and turn into evil powder.

Dry it's exactly the same and amazing, holy crap.

In the bottle, all I can smell is straight buttered popcorn. But on the skin, that scent goes away and I'm left with a warm, dry coconut. Nothing much else, just real coconut. It doesn't veer into fake tropical, suntan lotion coconut, hooray!

Every time I wear Ivory Vulva, it smells a little different on me. Mostly it's coconut marshmallows, but sometimes I get more of the amber, and sometimes it smells a bit buttery or gingery, and sometimes I get a big dollop of the macadamia milk. But it's delicious no matter how it's sliced. I wouldn't reach for this every day—I have to be in the right mood for something this sweet and foody—but I really enjoy it. Yum!

Hmm.. my nose is telling me there is ginger here. Maybe it's an aspect of the macadamia or amber? This winds up being the same slightly off buttery-cream I get from Boo (unfortunate), a hint of coconut, and that weird ginger. I'm reminded of some marshmallow blend that has crossed my path before-- Marshmallow Pumpkin or something with *toasted* marshmallow in it.. that "toasted" part always winds up smelling gingery to me.

The bad part is I'm very sensitive to gingery type smells and dont really care for them and this blend is just not really sitting right with me because of that.

Possibly the nicest coconut scent my nose has ever had the pleasure of meeting. This is so rich and creamy, I want to drink it. I get sweet marshmallow and buttery notes too, that blend unbelievably well with the coconut. Sublime.

Ohh, I love this! I'm glad I didn't see the reviews 'til now, because mentions of 'buttery' would've scared me right away - I don't like to smell like popcorn, and Jack does that to me, but this isn't at all popcorny, thank god!

Wet, the buttery is there, but it's more warm, creamy coconut marshmallow milky snuggliness :) Freshly applied, the coconut comes out a little more, it's a bit like Eden but not so almondy-sweet. As other people said, it's very beachy, and very warm and comforting and happy-making. On me, the throw and longevity have been amazing - I was testing everything at once earlier, but Ivory Vulva was the thing I kept getting lovely whiffs of from a distance. As it dries, there's a tiny hint of spice, almost nutmeg, and it makes me think of the best rice pudding ever made, or some sort of creamy white cocktail :wub3:

Conclusion, I absolutely love this, and if I hadn't blown my load on some Ebay BPALs yesterday, I would be thinking about a backup bottle, because this will get a LOT of wear, it's one of those scents that will definitely get me through stressful days, being so warm and snuggly and comforting, and I suspect it'll be amazing in my scent locket. SO MUCH LOVE!! :wub2:

I'm really excited about this! I don't know what I'm expecting "marshmallow root" to smell like, but I'm intrigued. c:

In the decant: Oh, wow, yeah, that does smell kind of buttery. I'm getting mostly marshmallow and cream.

On me, wet: Nine thousand percent marshmallow and macadamia milk. It calms down and stops being so buttery after it dries a little, and now I'm getting mosly macadamia and coconut and...something a little spicy? I didn't expect that and I really like it. Oh my god, was there secretly ginger in this? Best surprise ever! I wasn't a huge fan of this when it first went on; I like foodies, but not too foody, so this was nice but not wowing me. That spiciness is making this so much more interesting

On me, dry: This is just the right amount of amber. It balances out the coconut and marshmallow perfectly and smells amazing and slightly spicy next to the skin.

I think I might give this a full test drive, but I'm not sure a bottle is in my future because the throw is so buttery and that's not really my thing. The decant is probably gonna get used up, though.

Creamy coconut made extra nutty by the macadamia, plus a really beautiful, light amber.

I can see how some people might get buttered popcorn from this, but for me it's staying on the sweet side of foody. The coconut in this blend isn't that suntan-lotion, pina colada type of coconut... it ALMOST reminds me of the coconut in Obatala on intital application, but the comparison stops there because the foodiness takes over quickly.

I also agree with the above reviews which have said the buttery factor goes away and the scent morphs into something almost spicy after several minutes. It's almost like a spicy coconut cookie. I really like it!

If you like gooey marshmallow mixed with coconut thrown on top of popcorn. This is the scent for you. Way too sweet and foody. I amp all the marshmallow and coconut! :sick:

Almost every note is slightly, if not overtly problematic, to me. So it starts as a buttery creamy coconut with hints of nuts and amber. And it dries to a weird suntan lotion coconut, still creamy, a more present milky nut smell, and plastic. Why CREAM, how nice of you to join this party and simply throw everything into disarray. BPAL's cream note is like l'enfant terrible in my skin. It just does bad things. All the time, without remorse or conscience. Good throw, good wearlength.

So yeah, coconutty plastic.

Wet, it smells like a coconut cream pie, but not heavy or too sweet.

Dry, the coconut mellows a little and the vanilla warms. It's super creamy! But, strangely, not buttery in the slightest.

Warmed up after a while, my skin LOVES it. I smell like warm vanilla cream with just a touch of coconut and sugar. UGH SO GOOD.

Big fat warm-from-the-oven cinnamon sugar christmas cookies, with red/green sprinkles. Has a similar "sexy christmas cookie" vibe to Gingerbread Sin, must be the amber! Definitely getting the toasty! I could swear there was a dusting of cinnamon, and nutmeg/brown sugar in this. Good and yummy, but a little hokey, I feel like how a Christmas store smells.

(none of these are the notes listed...sorry, list of actual ingredients)

Dry (an hour and a half later) it's a faint spicy-sweet ghost of its former self. I'm sad to see it go. ): Warm, rounded, and yummy Amber is still there if I look for it, because amber is a bro, but it's fading by the minute. Maybe now there's only a light spicy vanilla cream. Very, very, light. This thing is going, going, gone. If I had to describe the amber, I would say brown sugar whipped with a hint of melted butter (not strong like the buttery popcorn other folks are describing, just a small, enriching portion) and turned into a slow-poured golden molasses. It's not a sweet smell, but much deeper, brown-orange, warm and bakery smell.

Edited by unxolve

In the bottle: Mostly I get that distinctive scent of BPAL's cream note. A little coconut in the background, and not much else.

On skin, wet: Pretty much the same as in the bottle.

On skin, dry: Still not really morphing at all. I knew BPAL's cream note tended to dominate on me, but most of the scents I've tried with it have ended up balanced better than this, at least.

After an hour: Never really any change. No marshmallow, no macademia. Boo. It's nice enough, mind, but there's nothing to make it stand out. I'll give it another couple months of aging, to see if that lures out any of the other notes, but at this point I'm disappointed.

Starts out a bit buttery, but sweet. I think the amber is making it a bit more like a perfume and a bit less like a buttered popcorn jellybean, but I'm not certain I'm actually getting any of the listed notes in a recognizeable way, except for cream. I feel like if I didn't know there was coconut in this I'd never guess it was in there, but since I do know I can sort of pick out a tiny bit of it. I love coconut, but it disappears quickly on me usually, so I'm not expecting too much.

As it's drying it's staying quite sweet, and a little buttery. It's making me think just a little of Midway, actually, which has that sort of marshmallowy sweetness over funnel cakes. And as it's drying down further, it's even more like Midway! Sweet, a tiny hint buttery, warm. I think it has a bit more staying power and throw than Midway does, but I may have to compare them directly to be sure I'm not imagining the comparison.

Very nice, but I'm not sure I need a bottle since I have plenty of Midway Resurrected already.

I have to laugh, this really DOES smell like popcorn jellybeans. I went through a stage of obsession with them when I was younger, so I am very familiar to the scent. It starts out as popcorn jellybeans, you can literally smell the waxy sugar butter shells. Then a suntan lotion layer shows along with a mix of coconut husk.

Drydown smells like amber with a mix of butter that has been sitting out too long and old coconut oil.

I'm a HUGE foodie scent lover but this is not a scent for me.

Edited by andabri

I blind-bought this bottle, I was 99.9% certain this would work on me and fortunately it did. Wet this is sweet, husky coconut. After it dries a bit it is equal parts coconut and marshmallow. Later on the cream came out and I smell like a bowl of vanilla bean ice cream. LOVEEEEE.

Fortunately I'm not getting the buttered popcorn thing. I'm trying my damnedest not to slather this, I have one bottle and one on the way but I need it to last me forever.
Edited typo
Edited by greeneyedgirl

Oooh so delicious...the coconut is not too overwhelming, it's sort of soft and delicious. Then pouf it was gone. That said I only really tried it yesterday, which was sort of a difficult perfume day, nothing seemed to stick around.

So, for now, this is awesome, will retry to see if it wants to hang out.

coconut agrees with me pretty well. This particular mix is no exception. I always have trouble with vanilla scents going crazy plastic on me and luckily this one doesn't seem to have any vanilla lurking in it.

It's heavenly from start to finish.

It's very coconutty while in it's wet stage, approaching suntan lotion territory, but luckily it doesn't get there. Then it morphs into a delicate, but toasted coconut with subtle sugar, marshmallow and cream notes. The amber becomes more apparent on the dry down and it's lovely and soft.

ETA: I can see why people are getting the buttery note, but luckily it doesn't become prominent on me.

Edited by velvet

This is definitely a very warm, cozy scent. I do pick up a warm, toasty coconut and even some marshmallow-y, creamy sweetness. The only thing that makes this a "meh" instead of amazeballs is the fact that I get some of the butteryness that I get from Boo and other creamy scents. I HATE buttered popcorn smell with a passion. This isn't as bad as some buttery scents have been on my skin, but I don't think I'll need a bottle of this. Poop. I'll keep trying, though- this is one of those scents that has enough going for it that I want to make it work!

Buttery coconut frosting. This is very rich and foodie, it reminds me of Beaver'versary. But there's something about this I'm not wild about. Just an odd note that's kind of spoiling things a bit. I really can't put my finger on it. Maybe the coconut, trying to be dry and toasty amid the rich creaminess of the rest of the notes? It's not a bad scent, but it might be too overwhelming as a perfume. It might be nice mixed in with an unscented lotion though.

Edit: The drydown on this is glorious, though. That slightly weird note is gone and all I'm left with is coconut Beaver'versary!

Edited by Teaker

In the bottle it's all buttery sweetness, foodier than I thought it would be, and no coconut in sight.

On the skin the butter burns off pretty quickly, but this still heads into cookie-territory and is toothachingly sweet, except the cream accord does that sort of goat-y thing that Boo does on my skin.

The drydown was sweet marshmallow with a hint of spiceyness (amber doesn't usually read like that to my nose, but I don't know what else in the notes would account for it). I might let this age a little to see if the goat goes away, and if I can get over the overt sweetness.

I was so worried I would just get the buttered popcorn jelly bean thing that everyone else was talking about. In the imp, that's exactly what I smelled. I was disappointed so I put this aside. When I finally built up the courage to do an actual skin test, I was pleasantly surprised. The buttery-ness completely goes away and I was left with a complex vanilla scent. Very similar to Eat Me but without the fruity black currant note. When completely dry it reminded me of something very specific that I couldn't place at first then it hit me! It smells exactly (I mean nearly identical) to Bigelow's Vanilla Chai. Seriously, go put your nose in a cup of creamy vanilla chai and you have Ivory Vulva (err...well you know what I mean).

Not at all "suntan lotion" smelling or beachy, this is more of a rich, sweet, creamy coconut. I found this a really nice, comforting scent.

In the imp: WTF, mint? There isn't mint in this, is there?

Wet on the skin: Whoa buttery fluff, but with a generous sniff there's still that hint of spearmint right at the base of the scent. I get a little creamy 'mallow root, but no coconut.

On Drydown: Less buttery and overtly foodie, but I totally get the "buttered popcorn" comparisons. And still that damned mint, but only right at the end of a big whiff; it hits me right between the eyes, literally at the top of my nose. So weird. Never did get any coconut from this. Luckily the cream doesn't turn salty, but that isn't enough to save this.