Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Comparison of Celebrated Beauties

COMPARISON OF CELEBRATED BEAUTIES

Vanilla cream, mimosa, and almond blossom.

In The Bottle: Mostly almond. A tiny, tiny hint of cream. Tiny.

Wet On Skin: More almond, a bit more cream. Almost as an afterthought, the mimosa. but it's literally as I move my hand away from my nose that I get a small whiff. Noting more.

Dry Down: Oh THERE you are, mimosa! Wow, that certainly morphed. The mimosa has gone quite powdery on me, a thing that's happened between me and this note before. It *is* held in check by the appearance of the vanilla cream, giving it some density and toning down the floral so it's not quite so baby powder-y. At this point, the almond has disappeared from my skin entirely.

In All: Low to medium throw- go easy, I could see this becoming too much if you slather. A sweet, soft springtime scent. I'm personally on the fence about how much I'll wear it, but the vanilla cream is really making me consider. I will wait to see how I feel once it's warmed up outside- this might be the perfect thing for an evening spring stroll. :smile:

This is exquisite!

I don't get any almond at all hardly. When I do smell it, it isn't cloying or overpowering. I am amping mostly the mimosa and the vanilla cream. The vanilla cream is making it smell a little like....... This may sound strange but "ice cream" I don't know I just get that vibe. It's a touch sweet without being too much and the mimosa is the same mimosa note in The Blooming Flowers of Spring. The entire feeling of the scent screams soft and elegant. I really love this and it makes me feel pretty.

First review! Here I go...

In bottle: Creamy, yummy almond. The smell reminds me of white almond jelly in Asian desserts. I keep opening the bottle just to get that initial blast of almond candy smell.

Wet on skin: on my skin it's a very sweet, syrupy, creamy, almost citrusy almond. No florals just yet. Still yummy edible almond sweetness.

Dry on skin: the mimosa comes out and it's a very soft, powdery scent. The almond gets almost entirely out of the way but it's still detectable. It's not quite baby powder though--the almond and vanilla cream keeps things luscious and not like straight up Johnson's baby powder. If I inhale deeply on the swatch on my arm I get a bit of a sharp, head-ache inducing smell. But as I catch whiffs of it as I sit it's pleasant. I would say the throw is medium to strong. A little goes a long way.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed it didn't stay as a strong almond jelly/almond syrup smell on my skin because I LOVE almond notes in everything and that initial almond blast was SO yummy. But I would say that the overall result is very pretty and elegant and the throw is quite powerful. I dabbed just a few dots on my wrist and up my forearm and I'm enveloped in a pretty decent scent cloud. I could see this being a scent I would reach for if I'm feeling very demure and dousing myself in Snake Oil would be the wrong choice. The scent is pretty, subtle, elegant but it has a strong presence. Glad to have my bottle for days when I want a change-up.

this is pretty! this starts off all almond, and it's a cherryish as opposed to, super nutty almond, more like amaretto. i get a hint of the vanilla cream in the background too. the cream turns a bit plasticky on me, unfortunately, but it's not too bad. also, this doesn't really have a lot of throw-it's pretty subtle. after about 10-15 minutes i finally smell the mimosa more and i like it better now with the added floral component, and the plastic is gone! the vanilla cream is much more vanilla-y too and now i quite like this. it's definitely a soft creamy scent that stays fairly close to the skin.

Edited by theseagrows

Wow. This is super beautiful!!! And, this is the first time i have *really* been whacked upside the head by vanilla in a BPAL oil!!! Woohoo!

Almonds and vanilla...hoo boy am i in love. I guess i'm not really familiar with mimosa but there is something different coming through when this dries down that i am not sure i like. It adds a slightly bitter element to the scent...i hope this doesn't get stronger with age because the almond and vanilla cream are spectacular.

ETA: whatever was bitter is smoothing out. This is beautiful.

Edited by Herb Girl

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: Mimosa - I'm on board. Vanilla cream - totally. Almond blossom - has worked in the past. Let's see what they do together.

In the bottle: Lovely, rich, perfume-y mimosa. A gentle, subtle and creamy-sweet floral.

Wet: Creamy and a less sweet floral. I'm thinking the almond blossom is taking center stage first.

Drydown: Slowly but surely the mimosa creeps back out, but something is giving it the slightest stale edge. Something that was shining in the bottle is being held back by my skin.

Verdict: Unsure. I really, really want to love this one as it's so gorgeous in the bottle. I may try a bit in my scent locket tomorrow to see if I'll use up the bottle that way. it's so close to being what I want it to be on my skin...

in the bottle: Almond syrup.

wet, on skin: D: cherry cough syrup?! OH no, don't do this...

dry, on skin: cherry almond with baby powder. It's bizarre on me. :think:

later: I'm just amping the cherry quality to this almond so much. It's screeching,

and hasn't morphed much at all.

conclusion: Think I'm going to let this one sit awhile, as it IS straight from the lab. Ho hum. :umm:

This is the first oil with an almond note that has worked for me, and I am pleased as punch! The almond blossom smells like delicious almond extract, sweetened by the vanilla cream. I can't necessarily pick out the mimosa, but it seems as if it's giving the blend a bit of brightness. Really lovely.

In the bottle I smell mostly almonds, with a hint of something floral. I don't know if it's the mimosa or the blossom part of the almond blossom. Oddly, it almost felt like a hint of effervescence. Wet on my wrists the vanilla cream comes out, strongly, sweetening this up and hiding the floral note entirely. Now that's it's dry, it's a sweet, creamy almond. Very foody, and smells like almond paste more than almond extract. Brings back memories of making butter letters with my ex husband's grandmother. Very pretty, light throw, and stays close to the skin.

This starts off as sweet, sweet almond - not too strong, but with a nice throw - and after a while it settles into the skin with a teensy bit of floral quality from the mimosa, and the longer I wear it, the more the vanilla cream takes over.

I find it utterly beautiful, a truly romantic and soft blend that I could even see myself wearing in winter, because of the sweet atmosphere in it. It is not foody-sweet, however, so if you're worried about that, you might want to take a chance on this.

I am so glad I bought a blind bottle - my collection was completely lacking in almond/almond blossom blends, and this is a most worthy addition. It has a definite Lupercalia feel to it, and I feel beautiful when I wear it!

This is lovely, sweet, smooth and delicious. It starts off with a soft but rich marzipan scent, like the vanilla and the almond blossom are making sweet, sweet love. The mimosa peeks in to stop it from becoming foody. As it develops it becomes more floral in character without actually being floral, if that makes sense. The longer it's on the skin, the more of a powder sent it becomes. Not a baby powder scent, but more like an expensive dusting powder a 50s film star might wear under a drop of perfume at the pulse points. It's a slinky kind of a scent, and ideal for getting your wiggle on.

Wet: starts out as NyQuil cherry cough syrup. I was surprised until I read that both Mimosa and Almond Blossom can have a Heliotrope-like scent. So, now it makes sense since Heliotrope sometimes smells cherry-ish to my nose.

Dry: A sweet, powdery floral takes over. The cream keeps it from going into baby powder territory. I get hints of Almond and Cherry in the background complimenting the floral aspect nicely. Pretty.

Scent smells innocent and girly. I'm gonna love wearing this on warmer days.

Comparison of Celebrated Beauties is like floral marzipan on me! :yum:

The almond/almond flower is the most prominent note, followed closely by the vanilla cream. The mimosa gives this a floral edge that's springy and cuts the foody-ness of it in a nice way. Even so, this is a bit like a flowery dessert in the best way possible. Feels like it's in the same family as (distant cousins to?) Boo and Dana O'Shee.

This has turned out to be one of my favorites from Lupercalia 2015.

In the vial it smells like sharp almond oil. Almond to me always seems to have a maraschino cherry vibe going on. On my skin the cream softens the almond and the mimosa adds a bit of a fizzy feel to it, kind of like champagne? Overall it's a very mild, creamy and sweet effervescent scent.

This is going to be even better when the warmer weather hits.

Creamy almond and vanilla. Takes a while for the mimosa to pop up but when it does, it's amazing. This is incredible.

Creamy almond and vanilla. With just a very tinge of plastic on the drydown.

This reminds me a little to Snow White. Without the chilliness. It's a warmer, springier version.

Creamy almond and vanilla.

This is very sweet almond both in the imp and on the skin.... marzipan!

I will probably keep and use the decant, but I don't know if I need a bottle of this, as I already have quite a collection of sweet foodie scents.

I got unlucky with this one. I want the creamy mimosa that other reviewers got! Alas.

from decant: Cherry/almond syrup. pretty strong - like being hit on the nose.

wet: Almond to the max, plasticky background

drydown: plastic and vanilla. awwww. . . . it does share some similarity with Snow White, but I like that better.

No amber or honey in this one to turn to powder or weird nonsense on me! Let's see how it goes.

In the decant: Cherry-sweet almond blossom, a bit of vanilla, and something soft in the background that I assume must be the mimosa. Also, turns out I like mimosa!

On me, wet: The vanilla cream pops out more, and the cherry blossom and mimosa mix together better. This turns about ninety percent vanilla cream right after it goes on, and I think this is one of the cutest things I've ever tested. It's so sweet and soft! Also, mimosa is an interesting floral--I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it because I'm not actually sure I've ever smelled a mimosa, but I like it fine, and it tempers the cherryish smell of the almond blossom really well, I think.

On me, dry: Vanilla cream and mimosa; the almond blossom is mostly gone. It's very cute, but a little powdery. I like it fine.

I really wanted to love this. I do not. It turned from a sweet, creamy marzipan smell to cheap grape juice.

No cream....no mimosa....so much almond! Very disappointing since I bought it for the other 2 notes.

Smells like cherry cough syrup, but in a bad way. With that medicinal, plastic edge that makes it hard to swallow. Tones down to take on a softer cherry-almondy scent but doesn't lose that plastic edge. The mimosa shows up as it drys down and it almost tickles. It's a pretty, beautiful note that is much needed, but I still get a wee whiff of medicinal plastic in the background that won't go away. If it weren't for that this it would be beautiful.

I get mostly almond here. I think I get a bit of floral, which is probably the mimosa, but it's really almost an almond single note to my nose. I'm not able to pick out any vanilla cream specifically. In fact, this isn't reading creamy to me- more liquid cherry almond if that makes sense. I really don't mind this (and if you like almond you'll love this), but I wish I got more creamy vanilla to balance out the almond.

I find it very nice, almond and vanilla...in Italy we make a cake named "Mimosa", it's made with cream of vanilla and pieces of pan di spagna which figures the small pieces of mimosa flower....so Comparison is this delicious cake made scent....I'm a foodie scents lover so i cannot not love it! :wub3: happy to have a bottle of it...