Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Veronica

Aristocratic Couple

Bourbon vanilla, preserved apricot, and cardamom.

APRICOTTTTT, vanilla cream and just a touch of spice. This is actually really pretty, but it is a close to the skin scent.

So simple, yet so perfect: apricot and bourbon vanilla. Because it’s preserved apricot, it’s noticeably sweeter than a fresh apricot note would be. Yet it’s light, so it’s not cloying or overpowering. At first this suggests fruit-flavored gum, and for a few moments after application, the cardamom makes itself apparent as a bubblegum note. It suggests the spices in traditional pink bubblegum, as in Aunt Caroline’s Joy Mojo, though Aristocratic Couple smells nothing like that. Other than that, this is not a spicy blend.

Somehow, I think because the apricot and vanilla combine to give a very innocent impression, this is a nostalgic scent for me. It also reminds me, understandably, of Comptoir Sud Pacifique’s Vanille Abricot, so anyone who likes that should try Aristocratic Couple.

Lovely as this is now, I think it will really shine in late spring, when it’s not muffled by layers of sweaters and long underwear.

My experience with Lupers and Shungas is not all that extensive because last year was my first Lupercalia update, but Aristocratic Couple is far and away my favorite of all those I have tried.

Initial impression: Apricot. Strong apricot.

Dry: this is a cousin to March Hare. Is not as strong, but its a softer more feminine version of it. I can see it as a replacement for it, and I will likely buy a bottle solely for that purpose.

This is really quite lovely. It reminds me a ton of Tamora, but a bit softer. It has the same juicy peachiness (although here it must actually be apricot). When it was still drying down, I got a bunch of the cardamom, which reminded me of one of The Butterfly somehow. I get less of that now that it's dry. I don't think I detect the bourbon vanilla, but it's probably helping to sweeten everything up. I keep smelling my arm. Very nice.

I'm in love with this. I was really reluctant because I'm not usually a fan of fruity scents, but the bourbon vanilla and cardamom lured me in. I just ordered a second bottle. It smells like sugary apricots and I get a lot of vanilla (which I love) after the dry down. The cardamom is more faint, but I can still detect it. Staying power is pretty good for me.

i am not usually a fruity-scent wearer but i've had some success with apricot and nectarine, hence my purchase of a decant of this scent. starting off it's all beautiful juicy apricot with a hint of cardamom in the background. its so light and pretty and i find this scent to be very uplifting and perfect for spring. a few minutes later i get the bourbon vanilla coming through, and i think this is my favorite vanilla that bpal uses. it is creamy and gorgeous and not too foody. this is probably my favorite apricot BPAL i've tried. i may even have to get a bottle of this one. so beautiful.

This is beautiful. On me it's basically what it says on the tin: vanilla, sweet apricot, and cardamom. Stays close to the skin so I'll probably have to slather.

Sweet apricot is definitely the primary note here, backed up by a lovely creamy vanilla. This smells like a nice dessert, and I don't get very much cardamom, which is probably good because that isn't a note I love, just a faint spiced feel in the background.

As a couple others have mentioned, I find this VERY LIGHT with extremely low throw. I was actually hoping for a stronger resemblance to March Hare, which I stupidly didn't pick up before it was DCed, but it's more like Katharina to my nose.

This is pretty, but the lightness of the scent coupled with its prominent note being apricot (and I've already got Katharina, Thaleia, etc. for apricot-heavy scents) means I won't be looking for more of this.

This goes almost to a single note Apricot on me. NOT that I'm complaining, mind you. There's a tiny bit of vanilla warming it up, but no cardamom at all, on my skin. I love apricot, so I see this getting a lot of wear this spring and summer!

I love Bourbon vanilla, and I've been on a cardamon kick lately, so I was looking forward to trying this. The apricot gives me pause, as I'm not into uber fruity blends. Right off, I'm getting the apricot, and it is a sweet one, and just as fruity as I feared it would be. I do smell the cardamon poking through. I don't get the vanilla, but maybe it's adding to the blend in another way. Seems like the apricot is backing off somewhat, but it is still too fruity for me. Fun to try, though!

I bought a bottle of this unsniffed even though it sounded entirely too foods for me and could have been a cloying disaster on my skin. The cardamom convinced me, it's one of my favorite notes.

And. Oh.

It's so good. I used to have a light fruity apricot room spray that I adored. Very springy and fresh and wonderful. This is very much like that but ever so much better. It's just exactly how I want to smell when I want to smell like apricots. Which is more now than before I got this oil. A lot more. It's a definite perfumery apricot, well supported by the bourbon vanilla, and the cardamom keeps it from being cloying with a sweet spiciness. I just love it. I had not found a fruity fragrance from the lab that worked well on me, and in this update I got two!

Love,

Tzi

A very refined and elegant vanilla, paired with fresh apricot. Simple and sweet and a total winner! As other have pointed out, it doesn't have much throw. But if I slather it lasts a surprisingly long time on me, it was still detectable after 10 hours. And no morphing into anything weird- it stays true all day. I get no spice, just vanilla and apricot, which is fine by me!

I like this very much. It's in the same family as Katharina (the apricot smells identical to my nose) but perhaps more mature? Despite being a fruit and vanilla scent this isn't childish or girlish smelling, it's quite grown-up.

In the bottle: Pretty much just apricot. Maybe a little hint of vanilla, but no cardamom at all. This does not bode well.

On skin, wet: Same as first sniff, and now without even the hint of vanilla. The apricot isn't juicy or sweet, either, but rather powdery.

On skin, dry: Now it's getting more powdery, and still no trace of vanilla or cardamom.

After an hour: Not a morpher, this one. From start to finish, it's all powdery apricot. Reminds me very strongly of Aglaea--which I like! But I already have Aglaea. ^^;

In bottle: This is not the bright fresh apricot of something like pandy. This is rather heavier and a bit old fashioned. Apricot mildly dominant, with strong vanilla support and a cardamom edge. Wet: The apricot is much better on the skin. It is brighter and as the cardamom separates out better, everything reads less muddily. It’s now cardamom dominant with strong apricot support and a bit of soft vanilla to tie them together. I admit to be disappointed by the bottle scent, and this is not the March Hare cousin I was hoping for, but I love cardamom and this is the strongest cardamom I’ve smelled in a BPAL blend, so this is valuable for that. As it warms, the cardamom calms down a little and the apricot reasserts itself until the apricot and cardamom find a good balance. Dry: Vaguely vanilla apricot.

Thoughts before testing: Cardamom is one of my favorite perfume notes ever, I adore apricot, and I've yet to find a vanilla I didn't love :D All of this made Aristocratic Couple a no brainer!

Wet: Sweet, spicy apricot with just a hint of vanilla! Love :D Apricot always smells to me like peach's more sophisticated and refined cousin.

Dry down: The cardamom comes to the forefront and is backed by the really pretty apricot. This smells heavier and antique almost. It's definitely not foody, it's really pretty.

Dry: Very very pretty. Spicy sweet apricot drenched in a woody vanilla. Lovely.

Final thoughts: This is really pretty and I love the way it smells. I know it won't get a lot of wear this summer, as when it gets hot and sticky outside I tend to not wear as much perfume or stick to things like Vixen and Kumiho. But this will definitely go into regular rotation once fall rolls around again.

Verdict: Keeping!

I almost put this in my trade pile because I didn't find it all that interesting when I first got it. Nice enough but a bit light & I have Fae & Philommeides for the rare times I feel like wearing something peachy/apricot-ish. Then I thought I'd try it one last time before listing it & wow, is it ever great now! The vanilla is much more pronounced & it just smells fabulous in the heat we're having at the moment. So I'm keeping it after all & doing some slathering! :)

Edited by alterosen

decant

In imp: Big juicy apricot! Closest thing I've encountered to the apricot in March Hare, though I can see the "preserved" aspect – this is like a really good apricot jelly rather than apricot fruit

wet: Apricot with something sharp behind it – I would almost swear some kind of vetiver or similar sharp "dirt" note, just a teeeeeeeny bit of peppery cardamom as well

dry: Apricot – this one's a fast fader down to a second skin scent – I like it enough to hang onto the imp to use along with March Hare for when I want a hit of apricot goodness, but this isn't really a big bottle purchase for me

use it for: apricot plumminess and when I want a snuggly, comforting second skin scent

Oh! This is so good and I'm so very glad I tracked down a bottle!

I love the Lab's Apricot. Like, love it.

This is perfect Apricot. Just a hint of creamy vanilla, and the tiniest whiff of dusty, spicy cardamom. But mostly just beautiful apricot. Sweet and tangy. I make these Apricot squares, out of fresh apricot that gets cooked down, and I swear this smells just like them (there's cardamom and vanilla in them too) I'm in love. Now I just need to figure out which season I'll wear it in, right now I feel like I could wear it any time.

This is initially nothing but an intense burst of concentrated, sweet apricot. Like a tidal wave, the apricot engulfs everything in its wake, and it takes a good long while before a tiny hint of spice and vanilla manage to make their presence felt. For a moment, Aristocratic Couple is very reminiscent of Tamora - one of my favourite GCs - but as it dries, the scent sort of collapses on itself and suddenly goes flat. What remains of it after complete drydown is a pleasant, if rather faint, apricot version of the very last stages of Tamora.

As it was for many of the reviewers, apricot was definitely the most dominant note on me. It's a light, sweet, fruity, beautiful scent. It will be great in the spring and summer! I don't really get much of the cardamom or vanilla, but I'm not complaining -- this is lovely.

Apricot! Loud and upfront. Even on the dry down all I'm getting is mostly apricot.

Later on, smelling some vanilla on my wrist but no cardamom. While I wish it were a little more complex on me, I really like it.

My bottle's straight from the Lab. I knew when I saw this description that this would be a favorite. I was so right. This is so delicious smelling without being overly foody or fruity. It smells like creamy apricot with just a hint of spice and vanilla. I adore it and I know I’ll be wearing it all the time this spring/summer.

It's incredibly apricot. Almost 2 years on, it's holding steady.

What a beauty! This starts out drier and less sweet than I expected--there's definitely vanilla and cardamom, but it almost smells like there's tobacco or something in there too. It's very earthy. I tend to amp fruit so once the apricot comes in it takes over, but I can't complain too loudly--this is a bright, juicy apricot that's the twin of the one in Four Seasons: Winter. Underneath the opening forms an interesting, almost coffee-like base. Completely unlike anything I've smelled before.

Aristocratic Couple

In the Bottle: Creamy sugared and slightly spiced stone fruit, nectarine?

Wet: I get a creamy, fresh stone fruit with a hint of spice. It’s simple, understated- definitely not a candy-like scent, it’s not very complex on my chemistry. The vanilla smells quite smooth and creamy, but it’s also very light in flavour, that is, it’s not a very heavy, or foody and slightly dry kind of vanilla.

Drydown: The cardamom amps a little in the drydown phase so I get more of a full bodied experience here, I can smell the apricot a lot more clearly now, it manifests as a dried apricot though, not a fresh one- a bit like apricot conserve- though a little too dry to be jam or preserves in itself. I remember asking about a three-way comparison between Haloes, Aristocratic Couple, and Katharina. The apricot in Katharina smells a lot brighter or “innocent”, The apricot in AC is more gourmand and “decadent”, while the apricot note in Haloes glows a lot more and smells more “refined and mature”. Having since tried all three now, I can safely say that I quite prefer the apricot note in Haloes more than this, but I do prefer this compared to Katharina. It smells a lot better on me now that my chemistry is reverting again.

TL;DR: Creamy, lightly spiced, dried apricots

Edited by celestia

I was really excited about this -- the notes sounded perfect. And they are -- Aristocratic Couple is gorgeous. But really, really quiet. Even just after application, I have to get my nose really close to my wrist to smell it, and the cardamom is ghostly faint. I guess the aristocracy is just out of my league and I'm going to have to stick with Grand Guignol for my boozy apricot pleasure!