Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

LENUS MARS

Mars the Healer

Roman chamomile, white musk, and ambergris.

Lenus Mars scared me at first.
During the wet phase it smelled like herbal cough drops.
Not to worry because once this dries down its a really nice balance of all three notes.
The Chamomile has such a soothing feel to it and gives the Musk a powdery vibe. Then there is the Ambergris which is present but not too strong.
Simple, beautiful, unisex with a medium throw. :wub3:

White musk was a bit of a screeching terror on wet. It has calmed down considerably and now is playing nicely with the chamomile and musky ambergris. I get a slightly aquatic, musky chamomile. It's gender neutral veering toward the masculine. Decent throw, average wearlength.

I can't stand the first hour of this blend, since white musk seems to go all over the place being sharp, powdery and stabby to my nose. The drydown however is close to the skin, and on the right person, very sexy.

In the imp: Sweet in an almost salty-citrus-like way that must be the combination of white musk and ambergris. The chamomile is also making itself known, as a lovely soft herbal-bordering-on-floral scent.

Wet: My first thought was "oh, dear...well, every Luper I've tried so far has hit it out of the park, so one dud ain't too bad." What is probably the white musk goes very synthetic-sweet, almost high fructose corn syrup, overpowering the more delicate ambergris and chamomile. But I should know better than to give up on BPAL so quickly - the white musk quickly settles down into more of a supporting player for the sweetly herbal chamomile and warm, barely-salty ambergris. So far, this is turning out to be a surprisingly complex scent for just three notes!

Dry: Throughout the day, I kept getting wafts of this delicate, not-quite-feminine scent from my wrists and cleavage. It's pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, notes-wise. The ambergris occasionally threatens to lean soapy, but never quite gets there. Later, at about the four-hour mark, it dries down to entirely ambergris, but I love ambergris, so I'm A-OK with this development.

In the imp: Mostly chamomile with a hint of ambergris.

Wet in skin: Hello musk! It's the musk show (and it turns out I'm not a huge fan of musk). There might be some chamomile in there but it's really just musk at this point. Musk, musk, musk.

Dry on skin: It becomes a nice cozy chamomile with a slight hint of musk. And then about 2 hours in, the salty ambergris shows up and starts to throw its weight around. And it turns out I'm not a huge fan of dominant ambergris either. At least the scent stays fairly close to the skin the whole time.

Overall impression: This scent hits all of the notes listed. I just wish it hit them all at the same time instead of in progression.

Something in here is extremely sweet. The chamomile is present but the musk and ambergris deepen it a lot. The heavy musk and ambergris together is just so candy-ish that it’s a bit overwhelming. The chamomile is trying to be all, “Hey guys maybe we could get some greenery up in here? Take down the sugar a notch?” But then the musk and ambergris cut him off all, “Nope.” :P

It smells like a strong, sugary men’s deodorant to me. I think it’s the musk more than the ambergris acting up, as it’s one of my favorite notes and usually adds just the right touch of brightness. As Lunasariel said, the musk is providing an icky synthetic sweetness, but unfortunately I never get the toned-down phase she did. This is a sweet, soapy hot mess on me. Kind of turns into baby powder, actually. Blegh.

Edited by Balame

Wow, yeah, the wet stage of Lenus Mars is really strong...and does smell a bit like a Ricola cough drop. But once it mellows out and dries down, it's nice on the husband. Ambergris/chamomile/white musk are such an interesting combo, and when they've settled down, they're like an herbal, ambery, sweet-ish musk? Clean and yet musky. At times I get phantom notes of a just-unwrapped bandage and honey. It's kind of fascinating, and I'm glad I got to test it.

In the imp: Interesting - to my nose, it smells a little like a dry incense. I think it's mostly the chamomile, but it's blended together very well.

Wet on skin: Same as before. I'm not sure what's giving it that camphorous, incense scent. Maybe the white musk, though Idon't remember it doing that on me before.

Dried down: Same, though the familiar white musk is coming out now. There's almost a sweetness to it. I'm not getting the saltiness of the ambergris at all, which is a little disappointing, but it's a nice scent.

Throw: None to speak of yet.

Verdict: *** 1/* This is really nice, but I don't think I need a bottle just yet.

This scent started out really nice - sweet, complex, and white musk is always a winner with me.

However, in no time all the complexity faded and I was left with a sort of sweet powdery smell. At first I thought vanilla...but no vanilla is in it, right?

Finally it faded to a faint powdery smell. I can only assume it is once again ambergris reacting to my skin.

I REALLY wish the scent stayed true to how it smells when I first put it on. sad :(

Fresh and musky with a touch of cologne. Gradually becomes more harsh, from the musk I'm assuming. Started out nice, but became funky. Theres no better word. Not for me.

This one starts off as a strong herbal with a bit of sweetness, which is interesting! Sadly, about five minutes in, it's basically gone to baby powder on my arm. Not unpleasant exactly, but not something I especially want to smell like! I might try it in an oil warmer or a scent locket, to see if it stays in the sweet herbal realm any better.