Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

HAUNTED BONBON

Dark chocolate with thick golden amber and murky black musk.

This was the only bonbon from this year's bonbon box that I picked up—I can't resist Haunted. I have a 10ml from 2004 or early 2005 that I'm still working on, and it's only gotten better with time. There's just something about the combo of the amber and black musk that's so straightforward and yet so...haunting?

Wet, Haunted Bonbon is chocolate-forward, with the amber and black musk in the background and a very faint, almost citrusy tang. As it dries, the chocolate recedes until what's left on me is a richer Haunted—a little darker, a little more bready, with a slight molasses-y note adding complexity. A half hour after applying, the chocolate is almost gone but I can smell it informing the other notes, and I mostly get a marriage of dark, rich supermusk and golden amber. :heart:

Pretty much what was said above!!

Got a little tester of this from a decant circle order (thank you!!!)

In vial: rich dark chocolate! I get a little bit of the amber....no musk yet.

On Skin: The amber and musk come out a little more....with the mix of the dk choco....it is very good!

Dry down: Stays the same as when applied. I get a little more of the musk now, but this isn't overpowering! Very nice!

The same gorgeous musky amber that Haunted has with a kick of extra deep dark chocolate. I actually don't get the sort of lemony tang that the original Haunted has in this one and I really like that. It's rich and simple but oh so wonderful and the throw isn't super loud but it's nice because the cloud of the scent just envelopes only you. Love!

Musky amber and swirls of chocolate. For me this is rich amber and thick musk, with just a hit of dark chocolate. Low throw, average wearlength.

This one is definitely a more perfume style chocolate (its all that amber and musk). If you ever wanted a chocolate perfume type blend, seek this out.

))))))): I was really looking forward to this one!! I LOVE HAUNTED. I have never had a bad reaction to amber, ever. It warms up to my skin and cuddles there like a super happy orange kitten.

I got just a hint of what could have been while wet. Five seconds of dark, rich chocolate and citrus, when POOF, I get a nose and face full of baby powder! Really, really strong powder. Like I am drowning in this stuff. I could have just powdered my whole face and stuffed it up my nose.

I waited for it to calm down, but no.

This makes me the super saddest. I'll...try it again later. Maybe my chemistry that day was funky, or the soap I used interacted with it, or something. Deep sadness. Harrowing sadness. Why now, why this Bonbon.

Edited by unxolve

I haven't tried Haunted itself, though I keep meaning to. So keep that in mind.

In the imp: Sweet incense.

Wet on skin: There's something very sweet and almost honey-like about this, but it's still dark and musky as well. There's nothing I would really pick out as "chocolate!" but there's still somehow a rich chocolatey-ness about it.

Drydown: Oh no, it's slowly turning into baby powder. Damn you, amber!

This is a very dilluted and watered down version of Haunted. It's void of the black musk and smells thin. Imho, it has little in common with the GC Haunted.

In the imp: Camphorous Incense with a hint of chocolate.

Wet on skin: There's another scent in there that I'm not entirely sure I can identify. I like it, though. I think it's the amber, actually, warming up this scent. But altogether, it reminds me of a candy bar or something, but I can't figure out which one.

Dried down: Mmmm....... this is nice. Kind of makes me think of chocolate powder mixed with sandalwood powder now.

Throw: A little bit, but not much on me. Embalming Fluid Bonbon has a greater throw on me right now.

Verdict: **** I really like this, but I think I can wait on getting a bottle for now.

Like the other bonbons this year, this is not really a chocolate perfume, but Haunted bon bon kept the most of the cocoa scent of any of the ones I tried. I haven't tried the original Haunted, but this is indeed a smokey musk with a little cocoa. It vaguely reminds me of the smell of the round hookah coals when you first light them. It's very close to the skin & has little throw on me.

Wet: This is the most in your face chocolate of any of the bonbons I tried. I am getting musk for sure, and I think I can just pick out the warmth of the amber. The notes mean it is not foody at all to my nose despite the obvious chocolate.

Drying: Much less obviously chocolate, and a little more peppery. I've never tried Haunted, but I would expect this is pretty close.

Dry: The chocolate is back, and the spice is much more subdued. But it stayed pretty true to it's ingredients on me, and I'm looking forward to trying the GC Haunted after this was so good.

I have to be in a particular mood for anything with any foodie feeling, but of all the bonbons, this is my favorite and I'm glad I have a full decant.

I think golden amber must be a death note for me, or maybe amber with musk is a death combo. This (and Dolce Stil Nuovo, which I had such hopes for) is pure powder on me, the scent of loose makeup powder and nothing else.

I have yet to try the original haunted, so I'm not quite sure exactly how much of this is skin chemistry, just the combo of notes or both, but Haunted Bonbon turned into a toned down, more chocolate sweet forward, Boomslang on my skin. :think:

I may need 5 bottles of this... :wub3:

Edited by EphemeralFey

oooh i love this. if you (like me) boomslang, i think this may be a good choice. it has the same rich, deep, dark chocolate scent with swirls of musky goodness. the chocolate and amber are really nice together, too. this is one of those can't-stop-sniffing-my-wrist scents! it's not foodie at all- just rich, musky cocoa. i am so happy i bought a bottle of this (the only bonbon that appealed to me this year!).

In the bottle: Musk and bitter dark chocolate.

Wet on my skin: Same as in the bottle, but this time with just a hint of amber.

Dry: This isn't as warm and snuggly as Haunted, and it's quite a bit darker and more mysterious. The musk in this is sharper, the amber not quite as sweet, and the chocolate in this isn't milk chocolate. No, this is bitter, powdery, dark baking cocoa. This is a bonbon for someone who prefers their chocolate so dark that they might as well be eating pure cacao, with only a hint of sweetness. I'm actually not quite sure what to make of this scent, in terms of actually liking it or not.

So...I remember testing Haunted by itself a long time ago, and it was a no-go.

Well..the skin chemistry is changing. I finally smell the TRUE amber and musk here. It's so surprising - no morphing, no baby powder...it's very incensey and nice. The only problem is my skin eats it.

BTW, the chocolate note disappears immediately - well, all the bonbon oils do that for some reason :(

In the decant: Yummy dark chocolate with hints of black musk and golden amber.

Wet: My skin just eats this up, sadly.

The dry-down: Really disappointing. I ordered this scent because I love dark chocolate, like black musk okay, and knew that I was taking a chance w/ the amber, as it usually goes to powder on my skin. But to have such dark notes just go poof!? That was totally unexpected. Yes, I'm haunted by this ghost of a perfume.

Edited by thekittenkat

Wet, this is pure chocolate, the same note that's in Desire. The comparisons to boomslang, I definitely get! Drying, the amber and musk meddle with th chocolate, and it softens up. It's definitely light as it dries.

My beloved Haunted with a touch of chocolate. Iblove black musk and amber, and this doesn't disappoint. Still, if you were hoping for more cocoa, I'd try to hunt down Black Temple Burlesque Troupe.

How can one improve upon Haunted? The elegance, the beautiful simplicity. Hmm, maybe by wrapping it in chocolate? Dark chocolate, of course, not too sweet. And it works. It adds a rich cocoa layer to the perfection of Haunted. It doesn't read as foodie, but it's not a dry cacao either, just another layer of richness with the amber and musk. Really lovely. It didn't last long, but I didn't slather or reapply.