Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Empyreal Mist

A hazy, soft, veiled scent: mist floating through twilit skies, curling gently towards the heavens.

Hmm... this is sweet in the sniffing. Sweet and difficult to place.

Swiping brought out all the notes and then some..it almost reminds me of sweet flowers and fruit dabbled with honey.

After a little while this began to really remind me strongly of something I smelled as a child. Like some sweet fragance that came with a toy or a doll or something..I dunno, it's just right in the back of my head and never really comes forward.

Overall I like this a lot, possibly more than I thought I would. Me thinks a bigger bottle is in my future. :P

When I first applied Empyreal Mist, I felt certain that I was going to fall in love with it. It smelled like waking up in the country... on a crisp morning where there is fog and dew everywhere. So clean and crisp and wet.

Then it got even better. For the first half hour after application this smelled *exactly* like fresh cut rose stems. Just the stems, wet and sweet.

Sadly, that stage went away quickly and all I could smell after that was perfumey roses :P. So far I've really only loved the roses in Whip, usually roses are just too throat clogging and overpowering for me. I was surprised that this lasted so long too, as most reviewers said that it was very light on them. This lasted for about 8 hours on me and stayed pretty strong. Damn roses, my skin loves them and my nose hates them.

I am almost tempted to get a bottle of Empyreal Mist just because it starts out so wonderful... the first half hour is a dewy green dream. ::sigh::

wow, this is sweet, really sweet and fruity on me...

I'm not sure this is what I think of when thinking of mist, something colder and less sticky perhaps?

anyhow, it last an incredibly long time, I put a little on last night before bed, I did dishes, washed my face and hands, and still it's there.. and it's barely changed at all really, it is pear/plums and a sweet (floral?) scent.

sadly not for me, too many sweet fruits, they dont seem to agree with me :P

First impression: A green tea and floral scent, with a faint hint of fruit, maybe grapefruit or pear - very clean and sharp.

Dries down to: Pretty much the same but the sharp edges soften. This is a perfect summer scent.

Additional Comments: I'd love this in a spray. Then, I'd keep it in the fridge for frequent reapplications.

Lasted: Not too long - about 2 hours - but that's not unusual for me.

Rating: 3 out of 5

empyrealmist.jpg

This one reminds me of the "4711" variety of 18th century scents, and that is a compliment. This one uses tea (white I think) and that's what makes it less forceful than a green tea scent like Embalming Fluid. This one is very very soft, does not intrude, and is floral in the extreme but not tooth-grittingly so. Very well mannered fragrance, it is great for summer and when you don't want to overwhelm people. I can well imagine the Empress Josephine wearing Empyreal Mist when she was by herself in her chambers. An enchanting use of tea, making it modern, combined with a refined use of flowers making it very old fashioned.

The icon is the Empress Josephine.

Apples! Fresh crisp green apples, all the way! :D Quite beautiful, and I'm not smelling the florals nor the tea that everybody seems to keep mentioning; then again I've noticed that I can't tell florals apart and that when I think "tea" I think of strong fragrant Oolong tea, not really any of the paler teas.

*points at sig* I've been layering this with Black Pearl which (especially with how it registers to me as green apples) tickles me to death in soooo many ways... :P

In the bottle:

a soft floral

On me:

Soft general floral smell at first, not a floral I can identify. No lily since it isn't soapy, and no rose or gardenia. It's something very soft and feminine though. Eventually a very vague fruity note pops into this, it makes me think of champage so I think it must be a white grape? There is something warm in background of this scent as well, it's warm and slightly sweet, but it's not vanilla. Perhaps it's amber? I'm not very familiar with amber so I'm not sure.

Final note:

This is a light, mostly floral, feminine scent. It's pretty, but not really for me. I might end up keeping this imp, but maybe not.

Empyreal Mist is lime on me. Very lime. I like lime. :P

There´s something else in the background, something sugary, maybe, to work with the sourness (?) of the lime. It reminds me of a drink, a Caipirinha, actually, which pretty much taste of rum (I think you can do one with vodka too, but haven´t tried it), lime and sugar. Makes sense.

A great scent for summer, but I´m not sure it will beat my love for Embalming Fluid :D

I love Empyreal Mist, but it only loves me for a quick moment, then disappears! I get a faint whiff of bitter tea (but it's lovely), berry (maybe blackberry?) and a bit of aquatics. A small soapy note creeps in, and by the time Empyreal Mist dries, it's almost gone. It's delicate and fresh, but so delicate that it leaves me too quickly. I may try this on very well moisturized skin to see if it lasts longer. It's such a clean smell, that it's worth trying. :P

Bottle (Imp): Fresh breezes with a hint of sweetness.

Just On: Oh yeah, a really fresh breeze with some sweetness on it, like fruits in an orchard wafting along on a soft summer breeze.

An hour or two later: A fresh breeze floating through the air.

Around 6 hours: It's fading fast, but it's still the same lovely breezy scent.

12 hours: A bare whiff of a fresh breeze is all that's left.

Overall: I like this one.

After reading other reviews: I can't add much. Even reading notes from others don't bring to mind any of them, it was just a breezy fresh scent to my nose.

In the imp this smelled lightly floral, and watery. Like fog in a wildflower garden.

On my skin it turned very sweet (lots of things turn "sweet" on me, I wonder if this is my chemistry), but still watery. It kind of reminded me of orange flower water and rose water mixed. Not fruity or orangey, but floral and wet.

As it dries, it starts to take on an unpleasant character that I can't put my finger on... :D

Oh no, it smells like urinal cake on me! Not a stinky urine smell, but a weird sweet deodorizer smell. :P

I gave it to my friend. When she put it on it smelled lovely and fresh, just like it did in the imp. :sigh:

It's pretty, just not pretty on me.

In the bottle: At first sniff it's clean laundry with a bit of lemon, but inhaling deeper I get a plastic smell that I can't place. Odd.

First on: The plastic goes away, but I smell like lemon fresh laundry. For some reason I like it, but not on me.

Drydown: It's gone abck to the original incantation, where I get a slight smell of palstic. I think it's more a scent I want my pillows to smell like than myself. If Beth made a pillow spray, this is the scent I'd want. :P

THis is a very pretty scent. There is really o other good way for me to describe it. It smells almost minty to me, maybe like mint tea, not a sharp green mint like some...there are certainly florals and a lot of lighter notes here - no ambers or civits or musks.

This is a pretty scent, but also a very cloying scent. It makes me think of a thick green mist...like something that would snare a magical creature in a fantasy novel.

I need to try this one more when I can pay better attention to the range of notes, but generally, I think that I like it, and I will play with the imp, but I cannot really see this making it on to my big bottle list.

When first applied, wow! What an amazing scent! A bright, lovely inside of a florists shop type floral. Loved it so much! Unfortunately, only an hour later, it has faded to almost nothingness. :P Ahhh, if it only lasted longer....

oh Lordy,Lordy,Lordy....

how does Beth do it :D

this is another fantabulous soft floral scent...very clean smelling..a touch of green tea perhaps :P

works amazingly well with my chemistry...so b-e-a-u-teeeeful.....perhaps my fav floral/clean scent that the lab has created (and that i have had the pleasure of reviewing) to date...... :D

p.s. positively amazing lasting power to boot!!!

I wanted to like this one, I really did.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Sharp, slightly apple, fruity perfume with very yellow, pungent florals like carolina jasmine or something similarly potent.

Wet, on Skin:

Apple blossoms, wild jasmine, and a subtle aquatic note.

Drying Down:

Melons? Cucumbers? It's gone very sweet aquatic on me, which combining with the florals and my chemistry is not making for a very subtle fragrance... and I just used a dot!

Dry on Skin:

Some herbs, but mostly very strong... hair salon? Hair spray? I think this smells a lot like when I get my hair cut at the Haircuttery. It's the combination of fruit and floral notes that seems to go into most of the product available there.

Over Time/Longterm:

Still sweet, but has died down after about an hour.

Final Verdict?

Can't wear this, sorry. I was expecting a crisper, mistier scent, but this would be pleasant for someone who enjoys a high end, wet floral.

at first: this was a freebie in my order. it's grassy, but with something else, too. it's hard to pick out any specific notes.

on: light and floral. pretty and almost sweet. very fresh. damp, but not humid. more like the way the air smells right at dawn during a cool morning in the summer. i like this a lot.

1 hour later: soft and a bit sweeter. i still can't pick out any notes. this is warmer than when i first put it on.

2 hours later: powdery and sweet, with a hint of something more sour underneath.

3 hours later: much lighter. still nice.

overall: this is a great scent for when i don't want my perfume to be too prominent. i'll keep my imp, but i'm not sure if i'll get a bottle.

I got it as a freebie in my last lab order.

It's a very light floral, allmost powdery scent in the imp.

As it drys wet the powder goes away, and more of a sweet melon (maybe?) comes up. It stays very light and sweet alternateing with the lightest floral sweetness and the melon-ishness.

Unfortunatly this one doesn't last too long on me. I'll just have to remember to bring the imp to work as I wear it all day.

Very nice light scent.

First impression: I have no clue why this scent doesn't like me, since I don't really know the notes in it and can't pick them out. Definately smells sweet and clean, but in a scented dryer sheet kind of way.

In imp: Smells crisp and sweet, a sweet fruit underneath that I feel I could like, if only the hazy dryer sheet wasn't in the way.

On me: Oh boy did I make a mistake wearing this to work today! The top sweet scent started to overpower for the first few hours, making me want to gag. I couldn't pick anything out until a while later and sniffing intently at my arm. The thing I didn't like about it was that it was so crisp that I wanted to sneeze at it... I think there's something in it I'm sensitive to, but that's okay seeing as I don't like the scent anyways.

Overall: Will not use it, will not buy it, will immediately try to swap it away. I don't think it would even make a good room scent, it's way too bright and sweet. Hopefully it won't turn into dryer sheets on the next person!

Second impression: Okay, I really did NOT like this scent the first two times I tried it. I again too an objective sniff at my wrist after applying it, and I find it's very pleasant right now. Very soft and like a fruit's flower... like apple blossoms somewhat. Just a shame that I have to go through the disgusting dryer sheet smell to get to it... oh well.

In the imp: White tea and I have no clue what else.

Wet: White tea, pure and simple

Dry: White tea, again, but now I can smell some fruit underneath.

Overall: Very much like Kumiho, which I'm in love with. The floral underneath isn't ozone-like anymore. Think I'll stick to Kumiho, though, I like the ginger.

Edited by PixieSkull

In the bottle: A crisp, clean, light floral with some fruity sweetness (maybe a citrus?)

On skin, wet: Powdery floral with bitter citrus edge. This is kinda herbal, sort of along the lines of tea. It smells clean and a little soapy. I'd describe it as green. Is there some light rose in here?

On skin, dry: As it dries, it takes on a berry scent. Early on, the fruit is slightly detectable, but its mostly like a powdery soapy floral (uhoh), with the berry as an (albeit, surprising) afterthought. IN about an hour, the soapiness fades and it makes me think of tart dew covered berries sitting next to a flowering briar patch. Amazing transformation, that.

In 2ish hours, the scent changes again. Unfortunately, I think the soapiness is coming back a bit. It feels aquatic and clean, though. Familiar---oooh, very similar to a BBW spray I have called lemongrass sage! It's wet and grassy, no more berry, but still somehow makes me think of fruits. After 4 hours is very faint, but is green and herbal. Its still fruity, but more tart--almost citrusy (maybe that's why I'm thinking lemongrass). It also reminds me of the herbs in Envy (minus the mint).

Overall: this was certainly a dynamic one for me. Nice, pretty, light, but with a tendency to go through soap phases on me. I did like this one, but for the herbals, I liked the invigorating quality of Envy better, and as far as sweet kinda fruity florals go, I liked Tzadikim Nistarim better. This was very pretty, but will be joining my swap pile for someone else to love.

This is very soft and very pretty. Ethereal, even.

It's a close cousin to The Unicorn, with delicate white flowers and a faint touch of green to it. But it also has something faintly fruity to it, sweet and a little tart, like citrus or berries. I really can't pin it down, since wet it seems a bit more like lemon - or rather, lemonade - and drying down it becomes sweeter even as that fruit note becomes fainter.

I've always hated commercial perfumes that proclaim to be 'clean' or 'citrusy', as they are invariably acrid and nauseating on me. After the fantastic run of luck I've had with Embalming Fluid, The Dormouse, The Unicorn and now Empyreal Mist, I am officially converted to Beth's light blends.

Thanks to the generosity of the Lab I got to try Empyreal Mist.

Initial Impression, in the Imp: Light, clean, pretty floral. Very sweet.

On the skin: Still a light, clean floral. Brings to mind white flowers.

I'm not good at distinguishing florals, but these are very, very sweet flowers. Stays sweet on the skin, a bit too sweet for my taste. There may be a sliver of wood grounding the scent - but it stays very very subdued and very soft. I get some melon that adds a bit of juicyness to the scent. It lasts a long time on me - even after doing the dishes and applying lotion I can still smell it.

Overall: Too floral and a lot too sweet for my taste. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to try it though. Still, it's going in the swap or gift pile.

edited for goofy grammar

Edited by cranberry

Much to my delight I received a gift imp of this pretty fragrance from gothiccastle yesterday.

This fragrance is a light fruity floral in my point of view. I do not get any of the tea notes mentioned. On me this scent reminds me of Antonia's Flowers Floret which leads me to think this has peaches and apricots. Empyreal Mist is much better than Floret and doesn't contain the nose tickling edge that I find in Foret. Beth's blends rank way above the commercial fragrances I've worn in the past and she continues to amaze me at her creations.

I also feel strongly that this fragrance has quite a bit of cassis in it. I used to wear straight cassis oil and am struck at the similarity. This is a clean fragrance, though not at all sopay on me nor musky and I'm so thankful for that. The scent stays pretty true in the drydown. The initial green or grassy note mentioned just becomes less apparent.

Though I normally gravitate toward sweet and foody I can see myself buying a bottle of Empyreal Mist in the near future.

In the vial: A lemon scent very similar to Embalming Fluid, Shanghai, and Phantasm. There is something sweet and floral backing up the lemon in Empyreal Mist, though, which is what sets it out from the crowd.

Wet: The floral fades out completely while the scent grows very green, a little sweeter, and possibly with a faint hint of tea. This is reminding me more of Dorian now than anything else, except without the vanilla.

Dry: It just did a completely 360. The greenery and tea has disappeared, and the lemon and floral are back loud and clear. This evokes an image of children selling sweet homemade lemonade from their front garden on a cool summer morning.

An hour later: So delicious! It's stayed the same sweet lemon and floral, and I love it!

Overall: I'm so sorry I swapped this without testing it first, thinking it was just another lemon scent. That will teach me! I'll have to find another imp of Empyreal Mist to keep for myself, because this is definitely something I would wear on a regular basis.

Vial: Like an apple tree orchard. Or, someone who cut an apple and then the juice sprays in the air.

Skin: At first, it smelt like a potato, then on drydown, it became a light apple cider scent. However, it went very light very quickly and faded within the hour.

Burner: Works very well here. The light apple scent remains, but it remains noticable even though it's not as strong as other burn scents.

Very pleasant scent. I wouldn't mind an imp of it, but I doubt I would get a bottle. 7/10.