Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Ravenous

An utterly feral, thoroughly rousing perfume. Red patchouli sweetened by orange blossom.

In Vial: Strong, deep and rich

Wet: I don't like patchouli but I guess the red is different. I smell the orange blossom, it is like a light spray of orange mixed with a deep rich scent. In the background I get a hint of bandaids. Not sure what that is.

Dry: Gets lighter . Orange blossom becomes stronger. Bandaids fade.

In the bottle, this is screaming patchouli!!! Almost to the point where I'm frightened to actually put it on. However, once I did, was I ever glad! The orange blossom came seemingly out of nowhere to temper this. It turned absolutely beautiful. It didn't seem to last very long for me unfortunately, but it was a sexy and sophisticated scent while it did last. :P

On me, to start with this is an animalistic musky patchouli, “utterly feral”, with a little orange. This stage was strong and lasted a couple hours. I think that this strong of an animalistic musk is more of a masculine scent. But then later when the animalistic patchouli winds down, this does hint orange creamsicle- which most men probably would not want to smell like.

It seems that patchouli and orange notes together seem to hint orange creamsickle, because they did it to a much lesser degree in The Caterpillar.

In the vial: Now that's weird. This one smells like Sabra to me, that Israeli orange-chocolate liqueur.

Wet: Orange blossoms over Sweet Tarts. It smells chemical-y, like citric acid.

Half an hour: Patchouli and orange Sweet Tarts. O noes! Is this going to fail?

Two hours: Patchouli creamsicle. At least it doesn't smell like Sweet Tarts any more!

Three and a half hours: Vanilla patchouli? Interesting, but no. A rare scent; they almost never fail this badly on me. But I never have gotten along well with orange blossom; the time I tried "Vixen" it didn't work out well, either.

Imp: Patchouli with the slightest whisper of orange

Wet on Me: Orange patchlouli that reminds me of

furniture polish?

Drying Down: a deeper more complex patchouli

seems to emerge now.

Dry: Lovely earthy patchouli that feels warmed by

the whispers of orange now. This is amazing. Another new favorite I think.

I love Ravenous--it's pretty simple, just orangey patchouli, but it's so warm and sexy. It has great throw and lasting power, too.

Wow! This is pretty! I got this as a frimp and was a little worried about the patchouli. Maybe I like red patchouli or just the way it mixes with the orange, because I really loved the way those two noted blended in the crook of my elbow. On my wrists, it morphed into a really pretty vanilla with a nice amount of throw. I couldn't stop smelling myself. This is definitely going with me on my honeymoon at the end of the month, along with Bordello and Snake Oil. :P

In the bottle, this is a candy violet scent to me. Huh? Not like Faith, but a fruity candied violet. There is no violet in the description, but damned if I don't smell it, along with the some faint patchouli. At first I didn't like this, as I didn't like the "candy" feel to this, but it quickly faded away. After 20 minutes, I kept getting faint whiffs of a very nice powdery violet patchouli, and wondered who smelled so good. Turned out it was me! I do like powdery scents, but Ravenous sure doesn't have very good throw, kind of a barely there scent. Still, it may be one of those oils that kind of blends itself into you and others notice it more. I move a little, and I get a beautiful "whiff", like she's telling me "I'm here with you, I want to be noticed but in a subtle way". I'm contemplating a bottle for sure.

When I smelled this before reading the description I thought it smelled like orangey wood. It's sexy and slightly unusual.

The orange blossom in this is very sweet, it's almost like a fake plasticy orange that's mixed with wood. This changes on drydown and this becomes much more sultry and musky. The red patchouli is way prominent and the orange blossom fades out alot. This is more like a woodsy/incsence/patchouli blend now.

It's got quite alot of lasting power too. I put it on this morning and it's still going really strong after lunch.

I like it, but it's not one I'd buy a bottle of I don't think.

A1 steak sauce. Ugh. In the future I'll go to Nemesis for my red patchouli needs.

In imp: at first a waft of feral masculinity hits me in the face, but when I sniff again, it's a darker version of Vixen (orange blossom, ginger and patchouli). I love orange blossom, but don't get on well with patchouli, so I'm hoping red patchouli is kinder to me!

Wet on skin: very rich (I think my imp is well-aged) and dark red, and strongly orangey. A little spicy. I think there's some dark, raunchy musk in here too.

Dry on skin: strong throw. I like this. The patchouli isn't doing it's usual thing - either because it's red or because it's aged. This is well blended, dark and sexy, and sweet without being the least bit cloying. The orange is like the darkest, bitterest sort of marmalade.

This lasts FOREVER! Numerous hand washings didn't get rid of it, and I can still smell it this morning! It's also very strong with a huge throw, so I'd hesitate to wear it in public for fear of causing offence! I suspect that the lab-fresh scent is a little more modest!

Edited by Lyrical

in the imp: orange with a little spicy undercurrent of patchouli. :D

wet on skin: same.

dry down: this has dried down into a lovely blend. i could see this being very nice as a room scent in an oil burner.

in all: because of it's sweetness, it reminds me of springtime. i would want to smell this on the first warm day when we're able to throw open the windows and let all the stale air out and the fresh air in to circulate. the patchouli adds a little bit of sexy, and i can imagine this being a nice layering note or worn out to dinner.

:P

I'm a little scared of the patchouli, after having some bad experiences with it in other blends..

In the Imp: This smells like orange furniture polishing oil and camphor.. I swear lol... two very distinct smells to me with lots of memories.

Wet: More of the same.. very medicinal oranges. It smells like Carmex lip balm! Just like that!

Dry: same same same.. CARMEX! Fascinating, but not something I'm interested in smelling like! :P

I dilute everything since I'm sensitive.

I think I'm just going to be one that Patchouli turns powdery on. I LOVE the orange blossom in this, but the patchouli soon screams "I'M HERE" and then goes to a strong baby powder on me. It did last, though...which since I'm not fond of baby powder wasn't necessarily a good thing! LOL!

In the imp, orange with a herbal kick. It's almost edible smelling.

Wet, the patchouli is a lot more obvious, but the orange is still present. This is gorgeous...and I don't normally do citrus. A friend suggested I try it, even knowing that I'm not normally a citrus fan, and I'm thinking she was right.

Dry, this is amazing. It's not feral the way the description suggested of it...but it is beautiful. It's all spicy vanilla and orange, without the sharp note that my body generally tends to turn citrus into. Definitely one to chase up more of.

I got this as a frimp in my latest order (along with Hunger, which I thought was funny). I opened it tonight to sniff it and the lid split in such a way that repairing it wasn't possible, so I decided to just use up the entire contents in one shot. I dabbed some on my wrists and dumped the rest in my oil burner.

Wet: Orange and something else. It reminds me of an orange/sandalwood lotion that Bath and Body Works used to have in their aromatherapy line, only richer and sweeter.

Drydown: I just now read the notes. Red patchouli? Okay, I guess I can see that. It's getting much earthier and "dirtier", but in a good way. The patchouli reminds me a little of cinnamon, but without the "bite". Whoa, and now it's getting stronger. Not so much on my skin, but the scent from the burner is filling up my apartment. I just blew out the candle because I'm starting to get a headache.

Verdict: I like this, but probably wouldn't buy it, because I don't see myself wearing it often and the headache issue is a problem.

^_^ So confused... I get something extremely similar to Snake Oil - like SN's creamy attributes without some of the spices. I would never have guessed patchouli or orange. Ever. This is utterly delicious on me though, crazy throw and lasting power. I went to sleep with it on and woke up eight hours later with it still there. Fantastic and also somewhat reminiscent of Strangler Fig's odd vanilla smell.

Ravenous starts off sweet to me, and also pretty strong. It actually tends to make me hungry when I put it on, but that just may be because it smells nearly edible and reminds me of the fact that I haven't had lunch yet.

On drydown, the sweetness goes away a bit, and the scent becomes a gorgeous, subdued version of its former self. I can't really distinguish the notes in this, but the total effect is gorgeous.

Anyway, this scent is beautiful all the way, and doesn't change much on me. It reminds me of Snake Oil in a way - it's not vanilla or spicy at all, but it's warm and deep and glowing, if you know what I mean. :)

Definitely a keeper, and probably a bottle!

In the vial: Blood red oranges. Yum, this is promising.

On the skin: Very orangey. Like orange juice splashed on your skin. The orange really stays with me, even though the red patchouli is trying to come out and play. I'm not usually a fan of patchouli (although I love Czernobog) but I think I could learn to like red patchouli. And I love orange (Hunger is one of my favorites; Ravenous is a lot lighter) so I think I've found another scent to really love. Hooray for orange! :wub:

This is one orange blend that my skin doesn't devour in 10 minutes, so I love it. It's got a unique scent in my opinion. At first I wasn't sure about it, but it's one of those where the first sniff you're unsure but the second one you're hooked.

Still, this isn't an ALL the time scent for me. I have to be in the mood for it. It'll probably be forever before I finish mine off. Still, it's sexy in it's own way and pretty in it's own way and also comforting in it's own way.

In the imp I mainly smelled oranges, a little floral and a little patchouli.

The super orange scent calmed down on my skin, and now it's more orange blossom with a hint of the fruit that doesn't disappear on me like in other blends. The red patchouli is GORGEOUS and mingles perfect with everything. It's yummy orangey goodness with a light creamy floral and a really really lovely patchouli. It's not for everyone, but it's not overwhelming...at least in my opinion it's not. The patchouli is noticeable but it doesn't take the blend over. It has it's place and it stays there.

Wet: Orange cream

Dry: Spicy orange

1 hour: A little more woody. And is not a mix of spicy creamy orange.

The patchouli makes it a much more interesting “spice” than plain cinnamon.

Last 5-6 hours. Around hour 5 it turned into a really low throw musk.

Wow. This surprised me. So sexy and the ways its a creamy spicy orange scent is totally NOM worthy.

Orange, and a little spicy and herby when wet, more Orange and floral when dry, but still very sweet. Pretty, but not for me.

EDIT: A second skin test leaves me with the same impression, the orange is along the same lines as Xiuhtecuhtli and Vixen, but more pronounced here, and there is a musky background that I would ordinarily love, but just kindof seems off with the creamy sweetness of the orange, its just a little too much for me. Too sweet, too rich!

Edited by delighted

Imp: Orange blossom and patchouli. Thus far there are no surprises here.

Wet: Fresh on my skin orange blossom has a tendency to go a bit dusty and this is no exception. I get a really sort of musty rankness as the patchouli also adjusts to my chemistry.

Dry: Oooh, pretty! The orange blossom is almost creamy on my skin while the patchouli adds a warm, woodsy base. The orange blossom is definitely the star of the show and I get a very strong citrus vibe from this. It's kind of like my patchouli OTP Masquerade but a little less ballsy. A lot gentler, quieter and simply beautiful.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Me likey. Not enough to topple the aformentioned Masquerade but I'll probably always keep an imp around. This is lovely!