Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
petrichorandleather

Uncomplicated BPALs

Hello everyone! So I'm relatively new to BPAL...I have about 20 imps and 3 full sized bottles of oils.

A trend I've noticed when I'm trying bpal is that scents with a bouquet of notes turn very bad on me,

the individual notes are mostly unintelligible and become very overpowering, usually resembling old

fashioned strong perfume on my skin. However, bpals that have worked for me include Spanish Moss SN,

French Tobacco SN, Shanghai, 51, Blueberry Picking and Peach I (2013).

Now, I don't know if this is because my nose is untrained or just that I like simple, uncomplicated scents,

but I'm hoping that based on the above preferences that you lovely bpalistas can guide me in the direction

of winners! TIA!

What have you tried which didn't work?

Some simple ones, which to my nose tend to haveone or two standout notes, I would suggest are

Dana O'Shee

Velvet

Sudha Segara

Morocco

TKO (only if you need a nap!)

Dragon's Milk

Apologies if any of these are discontinued, I haven't been around for a few years, so these are all older blends.

Edited by faylie

What have you tried which didn't work?

Some simple ones, which to my nose tend to haveone or two standout notes, I would suggest are

Dana O'Shee

Velvet

Sudha Segara

Morocco

TKO (only if you need a nap!)

Dragon's Milk

Apologies if any of these are discontinued, I haven't been around for a few years, so these are all older blends.

My OP has the blends so far that have worked for me :), but ones that have not include Azathoth, Twenty one, White Rabbit, Kali...stuff like that. And thank you very much for the suggestions!

Edited by petrichorandleather

I second Velvet if you like sweet and cozy and I also second Morocco if you like spicy.

I have not tried many of the ones you mention, but I would like to recommend

Obatala (if you like coconut)

The Black Rider (if you like leather)

Kill-Devil (if you like very sweet and honey)

These are just some :) I find them uncomplicated. Some of the LE's I have tried are too much of too many things for me too :)

Hello everyone! So I'm relatively new to BPAL...I have about 20 imps and 3 full sized bottles of oils.

A trend I've noticed when I'm trying bpal is that scents with a bouquet of notes turn very bad on me,

the individual notes are mostly unintelligible and become very overpowering, usually resembling old

fashioned strong perfume on my skin. However, bpals that have worked for me include Spanish Moss SN,

Now, I don't know if this is because my nose is untrained or just that I like simple, uncomplicated scents,

but I'm hoping that based on the above preferences that you lovely bpalistas can guide me in the direction

of winners! TIA!

I've found the exact same thing: the best scents on me tend to be simple. I'd recommend Katharina (white musk, apricot, and orange blossom). If you like patchouli (or jut aren't sure about it yet) try Goblin (patchouli with coconut and benzoin) or Depraved (patchouli and apricot). I'd also third the rec for Velvet, which is a gorgeous sandalwood and cocoa scent.

I'm a tobacco junkie so I'll rec you some tobacco blends. :D Unfortunately, none of these are GC, but I'm sure you can find them in the sales forum.

The Bear in the Cellar (whiskey, tobacco, and incensed bear musk)

Eastern Comma (sweet orange with tobacco absolute and hay)

Tobacco Honey (tobacco and honey, of course)

As for available GCs, you'll probably find some winners in the Rappaccini's Garden collection - http://www.bpal.org/forum/68-rappaccinis-garden/ Since you like Blueberry Picking, you might like other berry blends so I'm gonna recommend Redoul Honey in particular from this collection. It's basically blackberries, honey, and happiness in a bottle. :-)

Not sure if you've tried these, but here are some of the popular ones that are fairly simple, and just plain nice:

Alice - Milky floral

Dorian - Creamy/musky earl grey

Goblin (2nd) - Dark resin coconut

Sin - Spicy resins

Kumiho - White tea and ginger

The Lion - Grassy amber

Lyonesse - Mossy aquatic vanilla

Chimera - Spicy amber

Miskatonic University - Dusty coffee

Some not listed yet -

I think Bliss is as simple as it gets... just pure chocolate.

The Coiled Serpent is dry, sexy patchouli.

Dragon's Blood is as the name describes, a strong dragon's blood resin.

Carnal is mandarin/fig.

Depraved is patchouli/apricot.

Fighter / Captain Cully - Both of these read as straight leather to me. Fighter is heavier and kind of musky, Cully is brighter and a bit boozy.

Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat - Sticky-sweet iced lemon sugar.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale - Vanilla/sweet pea (more notes listed than that, but those are all I get)

Since you like fruity scents I feel like you might enjoy Fairy Wine (An ethereal vintage, steeped with dandelion, honey, and red currants). It's not the most simple blend out there, but it's a delicious, fresh and sweet berry mix.

Simple scents are some of the best on me, too. I find these to be simpler than a lot of other blends. :)

Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat - on me it's pure iced lemon cookies

Vixen - ginger, patchouli that's not heavy (in my experience), and orange blossom

Mania - white and red musks, strawberry, and grapefruit - I know it's four notes, but on me it's not a complex scent

Haunted - if you'd like to try something a little darker and warmer, its black musk and amber combination is gorgeous

Persephone - pomegranate and rose (but rose can be dicey for some people)

of winners! TIA!

I don't know if it comes across as simple, but it is delicious tobacco: have you tried visions of autumn 7? it's deep and rich and delicious. also eastern comma is fantastic. maybe one of my favorite bpals that came out last year. (it's up there with blueberry picking!)

I agree with the vixen and haunted. they are two of my favorite gc's. sweets to the sweet is just plain strong and sweet. I started reaching for it on those days when I didn't know what I wanted to wear and it was usually the right choice.

both shanghai and blueberry picking have a combination of lemon verbena and honeysuckle, so maybe keep your eyes peels for that combo in future blends, and if one of those notes is a favorite, using the search function on the lab's page to see if any other scents containing it call to you.

two of your scents contain bright, sweet fruit (blueberries and melons) so you might find luck with bpal scents containing peaches, apricots, other berries. depraved, imp, marquise de merteuil (has many notes but is so lovely!), tamora. did you get to try any of 2014's peaches?

last yea'r s shunga awabi divers veers a bit more into the androgynous/masculine (although any scent works on any gender) but it's grown into a very intersting patchouli/apricot blend on my skin. a good combo of dark from the resin and bright from the fruit, without getting cloying.

^^ made me think of Streets of Detroit. Have you tried that one?

I've tried this one, and can say that it's another simple blend that is more than the sum of its parts. However, it reminded me so much of No. 93 Engine that I had to go and look up the notes. They both mostly smell like motor oil on me, with myrrh/frankincense (can't tell them apart) jazzing things up a bit. I think I still prefer No. 93 Engine, even though its components list is massive, and it is so extremely potent that it knocks my socks off!

I've tried this one, and can say that it's another simple blend that is more than the sum of its parts. However, it reminded me so much of No. 93 Engine that I had to go and look up the notes. They both mostly smell like motor oil on me, with myrrh/frankincense (can't tell them apart) jazzing things up a bit. I think I still prefer No. 93 Engine, even though its components list is massive, and it is so extremely potent that it knocks my socks off!

I thought it might be of interest to the op. Liisa on fb likes to layer streets of Detroit with blueberry picking, which is on my to do list.

One of my very favourites is Playful Wooden Mallets - two notes only, cinnamon and black musk. I'm rather surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, as it is glorious.

PWM for the win...my all time most hoarded BPAL...

What about Tombeur? It's simple and lovely.

The Cat is dark musk, honey, cedar, and benzoin.

Goblin has already been mentioned.

This World, Where Death Reigns is black roses and myrrh (LE).

Lights of Men's Lives lists the wax and smoke of candles...lol...more helpfully, it definitely has the beeswax note, amber, and probably some vanilla.

Rogue is black leather, hemp, and rosin.

Neutral lists "flawless skin musk."

Hunger has black narcissus, orange blossom, and vanilla.

Kabuki has cherry, red musk, and star anise.

(At this point I'm just going down the GC descriptions on the Lab's site)

Good call, petrochorandleather. I think blends with fewer notes are a great way to train your nose; pile too many in there, and you have no idea which notes are the ones that turn you on/off. Once you've figured out what notes work for you and which you want to avoid, you can dip your toe back into the more complex mixes, selecting stuff you're more likely to enjoy by the notes listed.

The entire RPG line is designed to be layered, which means each blend is relatively simple/one-dimensional (even if it does have a lot of notes listed). I second the Rappaccini's Garden recommendation, too. Also, every holiday release includes scents designed to smell like just one thing.

A couple more "simple" scents from the GC for your shopping list: Bordello (Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant), Cathode (Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints), Jabberwocky (pine, eucalyptus and orange), Kurukulla (three lotus blooms and three roses), New Orleans (Sweet honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of lemon and spice), Twilight (Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle), Undertow (lotus and juniper with a hint of mint), and Vice (A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom).

Strongly seconding: Obatala, Kill-Devil, The Lion, Miskatonic U.

I thought it might be of interest to the op. Liisa on fb likes to layer streets of Detroit with blueberry picking, which is on my to do list.

Yes, I understand the question was directed at the op. Yet, I still wanted to offer my contribution with regards to Streets of Detroit, as I had tested it and found it strangelly reminiscent of No 93 Engine, which in my opinion is superior to Streets of Detroit.

Sloth is a big favourite of mine - vetiver and myrrh, very dark and long-lasting.

Masquerade is also gorgeous - patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

Robin Goodfellow lists five notes (dark musk, moss-covered wood, ragwort, heather, and sage), but it does smell very simple and clean and just lovely.

And Fenris Wolf is one of my Holy Grails - rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

Wensleydale (well-scrubbed soapy skin and fresh cotton) - on me, it smells like warm skin after a shower. It's especially good on humid days because you can fool yourself into thinking that you're not as gross as you probably feel.